Should Nt Refuse To Play Utsa And Tsu-Sm (In Football) ?

Texas Stranger

First UTSA must have a football team to play. Right now it is putting things together to have a team and how long that will take is anybody's guess.

Texas State needs to get up to the level of Div 1 as they are currently Div 1AA (I am old school).

Next it will depend upon the conference realignment and OCC schedule but as I currently understand it the schedule is locked for OCC for a few years.

The fact that this poll only has 9 votes shows me exactly how much non-interest there is with either school. And we have had a couple of their fans hanging around lately - so there are a few of those 9 votes right there. I hope that they make it - but they are FCS schools for now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Isn't 120 FBS teams enough? It seems if this number increases we will have a split.

Isn't 120 FBS teams enough? It seems if this number increases we will have a split.

Personally, I think that 120 is the ideal number. There are several that need to be demoted to allow others to take their place. I haven't seen anything about a split for an increased number. There will be 123 teams in 2015 and, in fact, 121 teams next year if you count USA which will be transitional.

Hell no. North Texas fans get more excited about playing schools from Texas. We should play as many as we can.

There are still some Southland Conference-era fans around who would enjoy seeing the old Southwest Texas State roll into Denton.

Also, any excuse to go to San Marcos is a good one. That hilly campus produces some seriously good looking legs on coeds.

No, NT should not boycott anyone, but I don't think NT should go out of their way to help them either. IMO, there are already too many fb schools in Texas and any new schools just dilute the resource pool. Nothing particular against either UTSA or TSSM, my feelings would be the same if the schools were Lamar and SFA for example. I do not particularly like many of their fans' view that assumes that they are on NT's level without playing one game as a fb division team. They are in the wild enthusiasm phase which I am sure will be tempered when the blow out loses begin to occur. They ares both going to have a rough awakening soon, and I think the fact that they so close to one another will both help and hurt them. UTSA being in a giant ciy may be able to pull it off. TSSM will have a tougher time being in the shadow of UT and having little to offer other than a huge school and a pleasant campus setting. Both benefit from the maximum in student fees but gaining support in a very competitive Texas environment will prove very difficult. Dreaming of success is easy, achieving it is very difficult.

• Upvote 3

If Texas State and UTSA join the WAC, that certainly creates an interesting situation for UNT. Thoughts on WAC expansion? Just want to hear some opinions.

I really don't understand the "if" in these statements.. don't you mean "when?"

And I think this question has been beaten to death. UNT turned the WAC down again and it sounds like the Sun Belt isn't interested in FCS programs. But you're right that it creates an interesting situation for UNT, which is primarily why Karl Benson went back to UNT a month ago

Edited by YouCanUseaMint

I really don't understand the "if" in these statements.. don't you mean "when?"

And I think this question has been beaten to death. UNT turned the WAC down again and it sounds like the Sun Belt isn't interested in FCS programs. But you're right that it creates an interesting situation for UNT, which is primarily why Karl Benson went back to UNT a month ago

As a guest, don't be concerned. Remember this is the Mean Green and not the Bobcat board.

Proximity and media market access.

I actually kind of agree here on part of this thought. The SBC should get Texas State in to get to 11. Then you can go to La Tech and NMSU and have a bidding war on who wants to get an invite to be the 12th and final team in the SBC or stay in the WAC. You will always have UTSA as a backup if neither wanted to join or if both agreed to come aboard for a hefty entrance fee!!

Edited by untjim1995

I actually kind of agree here on part of this thought. The SBC should get Texas State in to get to 11. Then you can go to La Tech and NMSU and have a bidding war on who wants to get an invite to be the 12th and final team in the SBC or stay in the WAC. You will always have UTSA as a backup if neither wanted to join or if both agreed to come aboard for a hefty entrance fee!!

No thanks. Texas State would add nothing to the Belt. :thumbsd: