Vito - Coaching News

MeanGreen61

this may be totally out of left field and wrong, but i was chatting with a good friend of gandy's and he said that dodge had interviewed/or was going to interview at ut for a position. if he scored the job, gandy would go down there and be the running backs coach.

this came up in a random conversation, so who knows...but kinda interesting

this may be totally out of left field and wrong, but i was chatting with a good friend of gandy's and he said that dodge had interviewed/or was going to interview at ut for a position. if he scored the job, gandy would go down there and be the running backs coach.

this came up in a random conversation, so who knows...but kinda interesting

QB coach maybe but no way Dodge gets the OC spot. I think the chances of Gandy heading down there are unlikely.

i don't want gandy to go...he's been our best recruiter.

Whens the last time North Texas has gotten a solid 4 star recruit out of high school??? Why keep on holding on to these coaches that are good for a lower mid level programs? If we want North Texas to move up in conference we have to get coaches that have been their and have gotten the 4 star recruits on the reg(as kenny powers would say). This is a new opportunity for the program to go to levels we have never seen. I wish the best of luck for the coaches and hope they get a new job as soon as possible but lets stop dwelling on the past and look to the future and see what coaches can make us better. Talking about Dodge he received calls from various programs for the qb coach, he still wants to coach in the college level not hs

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 6

Whens the last time North Texas has gotten a solid 4 star recruit out of high school??? Why keep on holding on to these coaches that are good for a lower mid level programs? If we want North Texas to move up in conference we have to get coaches that have been their and have gotten the 4 star recruits on the reg(as kenny powers would say). This is a new opportunity for the program to go to levels we have never seen. I wish the best of luck for the coaches and hope they get a new job as soon as possible but lets stop dwelling on the past and look to the future and see what coaches can make us better. Talking about Dodge he received calls from various programs for the qb coach, he still wants to coach in the college level not hs

Actually I can think of one in the last 3 years, Riley Dodge

I believe Cam Montgomery was a 4 * star recruit out of JUCO who was landed by Gandy. I know he had a few offers , including Boise State

it was answered earlier...he was a 3* in rivals, but a 4* in scout.

besides, getting 4*'s are nice, but it's not everything. want to take a guess on how many 4* recruits tcu and boise have got in the last five classes, including 2011 (if they stay committed)?

tcu has 7 and boise has 1.

it's what you do with them once they get on campus and i don't have a problem with what he did with our running backs over the last 4 years. also imo, i thought gandy had a great eye for talent and is very well known in mississippi where he signed some good players.

Edited by Green Crazy

it was answered earlier...he was a 3* in rivals, but a 4* in scout.

besides, getting 4*'s are nice, but it's not everything. want to take a guess on how many 4* recruits tcu and boise have got in the last five classes, including 2011 (if they stay committed)?

tcu has 7 and boise has 1.

it's what you do with them once they get on campus and i don't have a problem with what he did with our running backs over the last 4 years. also imo, i thought gandy had a great eye for talent and is very well known in mississippi where he signed some good players.

Im not saying that our coaches arent good, im just saying we need to stop dwelling on the past and who we think should stay. From what I remember Dodge fired everyone from Dickey's staff. Its hard to keep assistants with a new coaching staff because they want their guys and who they can trust.

The point is that they still get the top recruits, we jump out of our seat if we get a 3 star. I guarantee you now that they are changing conferences they will get higher rating player. You are correct on its not all about the star rating, its about the coaching staff maximizing their ability. But having those top tier talent doesnt hurt either. Gandy didnt even recruit Dunbar, he came here because of Coach George

• Upvote 1

I know * ratings didn't exist that far back but I wonder what Mean Joe Greene would have rated coming out of high school. Or, for that matter, Abner Haynes.

Two at best. Both came from black high schools which received very little publicity and they were from Dallas and Temple. If they had played at a little town of a thousand or two they wouldn't even have received a rating.

By the way, although there were no star ratings in Hayden Fry's day, Milton Collins was the top-rated athlete in the state of Texas.

Edited by GrayEagle