Super Pit 2

jimmyjames_99

Someone mentioned that the Coliseum could not be upgraded due to the shear cost that would need to be sunk in just to bring it up to ADA compliance. Seems a reasonable argument.

With the new stadium going in, what are the next upgrades and is there a new basketball arena in the works? I assume a track is the very next, so that Fouts can be completely torn down. Then maybe a baseball field, assuming that a men's soccer team could use the same fields as the women's?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pit. I think it's a great place to watch basketball. Just wondering aloud...

Considering the big time programs that play in arenas older than the SuperPit - I really don't think it needs to be replaced.

Agreed, we just need improvements. Larger video boards on either end (which RV has already said he wants to pursue), LED boards on the court, better concessions, new court, and a fan shop. None of that seems particularly expensive in the scheme of things, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them next year once the student fee kicks in. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised to see absolutely nothing. We spend as close to nothing on basketball as possible year in and year out, although the bar has moved slightly in the past couple years.

• Downvote 1

Only possiblility I see is stretching the fee to pay on the stadium longer to continue getting that income. After several years of 10% increases, we get to a point we need to spend the money on something and divert the minimum to the stadium. I would rather see UNT spend that money on higher coaching salaries. I think the pit is fine with some of the upgrades mentioned.

sorry but this is really stupid... the super pit is awesome man... the only thing it needs is better screens... its seats over 10k and we only got 7k for Texas Tech... i mean look at all the pluses for the super pit....

awesome location

beautiful to look at (mini reunion arena)

10k nice seats

not a bad seat in the house to watch the game

only problems are the screens and the concessions... which could be fixed very easily if we wanted too

i say build a baseball field for cryin out loud, not a basketball arena. we already have one

• Upvote 2

I know it frustrates the AD because the Pit doesn't belong to them, but I can't see a need for anything different. Maybe some upgrades, but I think it will last us for many more years.

What do you mean the Pit does not belong to the AD?

I don't think we need to replace the Pit anytime soon. The Pit is a great and comfortable place to watch a game, however, it could use a few upgrades.

Certainly that must be true of almost all campus facilities across the country...

But most of those other campus facilities wouldn't book out the arena for a high school robotics competition the night of our season opening game.

It's only a problem because it's a problem. And here... It's a problem.

But most of those other campus facilities wouldn't book out the arena for a high school robotics competition the night of our season opening game.

It's only a problem because it's a problem. And here... It's a problem.

Okay, that's just dumb scheduling...

That COULD happen anywhere but, like you said, it is only a problem here...

But I doubt there is a campus arena anywhere where the athletic department controls scheduling...

Just doesn't make sense in the big picture with concerts, commencements, etc...

The pit is a university building that athletics gets to book, and pay for the usage of.

The ceiling was not designed to support a hanging video board, architects were called in to see what the cost of reinforcing the roof would be, if I remember correctly it was in the seven figure range. I'll check on this number as I know the people involved in that project.

After the stadium is paid for, the next step is figuring out how to fund a baseball program, which is either going to make us drop another mens sport or increase donation enough to fund another womans sport, and then the facilities for baseball.

I don't think anyone thinks of replacing the pit for at least 15-25 years, its still a really good place to play in, it won't start falling short until that many years go by. In other words, it going to have to be a Fouts of an arena before it bubbles up to the top.

The pit is a university building that athletics gets to book, and pay for the usage of.

The ceiling was not designed to support a hanging video board, architects were called in to see what the cost of reinforcing the roof would be, if I remember correctly it was in the seven figure range. I'll check on this number as I know the people involved in that project.

After the stadium is paid for, the next step is figuring out how to fund a baseball program, which is either going to make us drop another mens sport or increase donation enough to fund another womans sport, and then the facilities for baseball.

I don't think anyone thinks of replacing the pit for at least 15-25 years, its still a really good place to play in, it won't start falling short until that many years go by. In other words, it going to have to be a Fouts of an arena before it bubbles up to the top.

It use to have a hanging video board......

Why dont they get the hanging score bored back....? reinforce the roof and have the hanging scoreboard back up there plus larger side screens and fix the concessions.... make the outer corridor of the pit more inviting to the fans...

I apologize for this posting 3 times.... I am not sure how it happened???

I realize that, but I would check back into reinforcing the wood! Since we are a long way from getting a new arena we need some upgrades...

Like I said, they called in architects, not some landscapers who stared at the ceiling and guessed. It can be done, but not for an amount the University wants to put into the facility, athletics could conceivably cover the tab, but why would they for a facility they have to pay to use?

Like I said, they called in architects, not some landscapers who stared at the ceiling and guessed. It can be done, but not for an amount the University wants to put into the facility, athletics could conceivably cover the tab, but why would they for a facility they have to pay to use?

I guess it just depends on what side your on... for starters I would get the arena to myself and allow the university to use it not vice versa

I think the Pit is great as well, no need to replace it just some improvements to make it a better atmosphere. I like the idea of painting the awning green to give it a little more character, I hadn't thought of that before. Other than the better video boards at each end and putting the writers/broadcasters somewhere else to fill in those center court seats, there are just a few other things that should be done. The better concessions and team store are great ideas but I also think the money needs to be spent to strengthen the roof and get a jumbotron hung. That along with being able to do something with the lights when we run out and when our starting lineup is announced would make the Pit an even better atmosphere for basketball and would draw in more students as a result.