Cheers/chants

aztecskin

Rip off cheers:

1. You liked KSU's "Kaaayy Essss Youuuu ... Wildcats!" cheer. Then you'll like "Youuu Ennnn Teeee ... Eagles!" We have something similar now, but this will be more drawn out.

2. Something Aggie-like. Like this. Thing is they take a lot of practice. Us being city folk, we don't have time for all that noise. They practice between cow-tipping and dressing up like soldiers. Though now that I look closer those are pretty simple. So hows about: "M-E-A-N G-R-Double-E-N Mean! Green! Eagles!"

3. More 'North -- Texas' chants. (That is just like Texas Fight!). Maybe add 'Mean-Green?'

4. Hirickity whoopteedoo Boomer Sooner whatever. You know. Like OU. It's kind of corny and outdated so its kind of hard to wrangle into something NT-related.

Custom-made:

1. See 2 above, without a weird aggie hand gesture it is pretty original if not generic.

2. [This is where you come in]

By the way, our history of live eagle mascots is so sad. Ugh. Just re-read the stuff from the traditions website.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

After a score and after the band has played. Do the "North Texas" chat a predetermined number of times. Or chant "North, Texas" several times times, then both sides in unison yell, MEAN GREEEEEN!

And while we are on the subject. You shouldn't hold up your Claw and chat "GGGGGOOOOOOOOO...MEAN GREEN" when you are recieving a kickoff after the other team has just scored. Only do that when you are kicking off, or recieving a kick to start a half. P L E A S E!

• Downvote 3

After a score and after the band has played. Do the "North Texas" chat a predetermined number of times. Or chant "North, Texas" several times times, then both sides in unison yell, MEAN GREEEEEN!

And while we are on the subject. You shouldn't hold up your Claw and chat "GGGGGOOOOOOOOO...MEAN GREEN" when you are recieving a kickoff after the other team has just scored. Only do that when you are kicking off, or recieving a kick to start a half. P L E A S E!

So now there are RULES for what we as fans can chant at different points in the games?

Gee, I did not know that - please tell us more of the rules so we can be proper fans at future games.

• Downvote 1

Go

Mean

Green

Eagles

Fight!

Fight!

Fight!

I kept pointing out to everyone to look and listen how quick and simple the KSU chant is done with their mascot. Quick, simple and over in a blink and is done every where they travel. I've begged and pleaded with the administration and the athletic department and as a guest speaker with the Spirit/Traditions committee til I'm blue in the face to no avail. The band does one thing, the cheerleaders do another and the alumni another. I'm not sure we will ever come together as a unified group in this way?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Get a grip Tyler. It sounds stupid when you're cheering the kickoff after you have just been scored on.

But, yes there are rules. Like you don't cheer when your offense lines up. I'll let you figure out why.

There are a lot of stupid universities that cheer every single kickoff in major conferences. You should probably log onto all of their message boards and let them know.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So I wonder if it was the subtle digs at OU and A&M that got me negative votes or that I suggested ripping them off?

College football is filled with teams ripping off others. Go look at why so many teams are named Tigers or Wildcats. I think it was KSU's coach who dubbed them that after working at Northwestern. Even now, Indiana looked awfully like OU a couple seasons ago, and Iowa State got some nice USC-type unis huh?

After sleeping on it, I like the spelling out of Mean Green.

We can just spell it out or take turns like the North Texas chant. We can try it out at the UTA game.

Get a grip Tyler. It sounds stupid when you're cheering the kickoff after you have just been scored on.

But, yes there are rules. Like you don't cheer when your offense lines up. I'll let you figure out why.

Thanks Rudy, I do get a grip - I was not born on a hill!!!

And I do understand your given illustration of the proper way and time to cheer that you gave me in your reply.

But, forgive me.........

I have been going to football games for nearly 60 years and this is the FIRST TIME it has ever been suggested that I not stand and cheer when the opposing team is kicking off to my team (much less to give the claw when cheering).

I/we don't cheer during the kickoff because the other team scored; we are cheering because we want our kick returner to run the ball back a long way, even for a touchdown. In other words, we are cheering our guy - not their team.

Tell me in plain english here, Rudy (and i am not trying to be a smart-ass - your concern is just lost on me), why should I (and most all of the fans for all of the teams I have ever been associated with) not cheer in that situation?

Please, let's emphasize the "Mean Green" part of us. I hate when people call us eagles, screaming eagles, etc. Mean Green is different, and cool. I can't stand parts in the fight song about Eagles. Everyone uses that. There is only one school who uses Mean Green.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm completely down with 'Mean Green' getting more prominence. F branding. I don't mind the two names being used together, as that is also unique. (sorta --I suppose Auburn maybe can say something about that).

So, hows about this:

At the UTA game, say MEAN GREEN EAGLES FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT in place of the current U! N! T! EAGLES etc.

Also, I say let's spell out MEAN GREEN. We could do it cross ways like NORTH TEXAS with the Pit Crew, alternating letters on the first go-round, then all together for the next four times. (I pick 5 times cuz why not).

Please, let's emphasize the "Mean Green" part of us. I hate when people call us eagles, screaming eagles, etc. Mean Green is different, and cool. I can't stand parts in the fight song about Eagles. Everyone uses that. There is only one school who uses Mean Green.

I hate when people turn their back on our history and say we should forget that we are the Eagles.

I hate when people turn their back on our history and say we should forget that we are the Eagles.

So true. It's disrespectful to those who came before us. Just think of the great men we honored last Saturday and what they accomplished during their time here?

I love answering the questions we get like at Clemson when their alumni would ask Emmitt and I "What is a Mean Green?", My reply is simple: It's an Eagle with TEETH!

The look on their faces trying to figure out if I'm serious or not is golden.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

So true. It's disrespectful to those who came before us. Just think of the great men we honored last Saturday and what they accomplished during their time here?

I love answering the questions we get like at Clemson when their alumni would ask Emmitt and I "What is a Mean Green?", My reply is simple: It's an Eagle with TEETH!

The look on their faces trying to figure out if I'm serious or not is golden.

Rick

I've always told people that a mean green is when your BM turns green. Is that not correct?

• Downvote 1

No, do not change the fight song. The eagle is part of our history. It's U N T Eagles. That's is probably the only real complaint I've had with RV. When he came here he changed a couple of traditions.

Tyler and Quoner, I was not implying to not cheer for the kick return team. I was talking about doing the "GOOOOOO MEAN GREEN!" As the ball is kicked. It's always seemed to me that you are cheering the fact that you just got scored on. Maybe some schools do it, but I,ve never seen it. I probably should have clarified, but I just got off duty and was tired and it made sense in my head.

I'd love to see a unified chant after we score, and before we line up for the kick though.

• Downvote 1