Nevada Upsets Boise

Rudy

Happy to see Boise go down...

That is what you get when you don't have to play for 4 full quarters on a regular basis. Was getting sick of Boise getting shoved down my throat by all of the media outlets.

Ha, try living in Austin where it is all Burnt Orange all the time. I've thoroughly enjoyed them tanking this year. It has mades sports radio in Austin listenable again.

Happy to see Boise go down...

That is what you get when you don't have to play for 4 full quarters on a regular basis. Was getting sick of Boise getting shoved down my throat by all of the media outlets.

And until they lose more than 2 games in the same year, they'll continue to be in the hunt and in the Top 25.

I guess I missed the part where Oregon beat anyone of real substance this year other than Stanford. There's a good chance that their other 2 wins over teams with winning records (that's right, at this point only 3 of their opponents have marks over .500) won't be ranked in any poll in the final pre-Bowl rankings. Not exactly a murderers row.

I don't mind the little guy, I mind the bandwagon fans of the little guy complaining about how they never get a chance and then get upset when they don't still get paid for away games like they used to when they still sucked. Combine that with the constant stream from the media about how great Boise has been so excellent this year when they have played 1 maybe 2 legit teams until tonight. The lack of legit competition makes Boise look good. The lack of attrition due to injury from continually getting beat up for equally as adept teams allows for a much more cautious approach in the regards to injury and preparation. That has always been my complaint. If you know you are going to need a SOS boost then make sure your non-conference schedule can do it for you. I have no real sympathy for BSU.

Until tonight they have not had a game be closer than 10 pts in the 4th quarter since VT. The lack of a competitive schedule hurt Boise, not because of SOS but because their team was not prepared to play a full 4 quarters.

All true. Ask Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins what it's like to go coach in leagues that provide tougher weekly competition. I'd love to have either as our coach because they've proven they can prepare non-AQ teams for regular non-AQ competition.

What's behind the whole non-AQ set up, Boise State has mastered - discipline. Disciplined players buying into disciplined coaches. College coaches. Competitive BCS schools have that as well - along with more overall speed and strength.

I still marvel that Nevada offered Giovanni Vizza a scholarship. He was good athlete in Chris Ault's eyes...and many coaching staffs have made the trip to Reno to learn what he's doing. I laugh when i hear people pooh-pooh Ault and Nevada. The guy is very good at what he does at non-AQ level. And, his offense translates well when used by BCS programs as well. It's not the gimmicky fairy dust that Dodge/Ford sold our athletic director and 3/4ths of this board four years ago.

Congratulations to Nevada. Good luck next year, Boise. Go local - TCU.

There has been a ton of fretting about our new coach. The truth is - and Mike Canales has proved it - we are in a league that can easily be won with some structure. Todd Dodge struggled along for three and half seasons and wins no more than one conference game per season; Canales coaches four Sun Belt games and wins half with an injury decimated team.

I'm not lobbying for Mike Canales, I'm simply pointing out that we've wasted a lot of back and forth time trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. We simply need a legitimate college coach.

Mike Canales would be fine. Lawsuit unencumbered Leavitt or Leach would be fine. Franchione would be fine. The coordinators on 90% of the BCS schools would be fine.

Dan McCarney, if he's the guy, will be fine.

Boise has a formula. The kids are disciplined to it and buy into it and they win their non-AQ conference. Ditto Nevada. Ditto Fresno State (in the big picture). Ditto TCU and Utah. Ditto Troy in the Sun Belt. There's no rocket science to it.

All true. Ask Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins what it's like to go coach in leagues that provide tougher weekly competition. I'd love to have either as our coach because they've proven they can prepare non-AQ teams for regular non-AQ competition.

What's behind the whole non-AQ set up, Boise State has mastered - discipline. Disciplined players buying into disciplined coaches. College coaches. Competitive BCS schools have that as well - along with more overall speed and strength.

I still marvel that Nevada offered Giovanni Vizza a scholarship. He was good athlete in Chris Ault's eyes...and many coaching staffs have made the trip to Reno to learn what he's doing. I laugh when i hear people pooh-pooh Ault and Nevada. The guy is very good at what he does at non-AQ level. And, his offense translates well when used by BCS programs as well. It's not the gimmicky fairy dust that Dodge/Ford sold our athletic director and 3/4ths of this board four years ago.

Congratulations to Nevada. Good luck next year, Boise. Go local - TCU.

There has been a ton of fretting about our new coach. The truth is - and Mike Canales has proved it - we are in a league that can easily be won with some structure. Todd Dodge struggled along for three and half seasons and wins no more than one conference game per season; Canales coaches four Sun Belt games and wins half with an injury decimated team.

I'm not lobbying for Mike Canales, I'm simply pointing out that we've wasted a lot of back and forth time trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. We simply need a legitimate college coach.

Mike Canales would be fine. Lawsuit unencumbered Leavitt or Leach would be fine. Franchione would be fine. The coordinators on 90% of the BCS schools would be fine.

Dan McCarney, if he's the guy, will be fine.

Boise has a formula. The kids are disciplined to it and buy into it and they win their non-AQ conference. Ditto Nevada. Ditto Fresno State (in the big picture). Ditto TCU and Utah. Ditto Troy in the Sun Belt. There's no rocket science to it.

Good post. I do think the competitive curve is flattening across college football. It is the responsibility of every non-aq team to maintain that progress.

Give me Canales over McCarney and most other coaches that we have a realistic chance of hiring. Still with that said I think McCarney can get the job done

Edited by HoustonEagle

I hate to see Boise lose...as I had hopes of them or TCU being in the title game (even though I know the BCS powers want no part of either of them being there).

The good news.....that sound you hear is WAC money drying up big time. I really doubt now that Nevada or Boise will be in a BCS game. So they've gone from $18 million (or so) in one bowl game payout....to probably at best a $1.5 million bowl payout....or something like that. (just a guess, btw)

And yet overall schedule is how many spots over Boise? And their SOS will only continue to fall as the season finishes. How many teams on Oregon's schedule is better than Nevada? USC? Stanford? Arizona? All all already over .500 this season.

The problem for Boise is the WAC. Hopefully the MWC will help but with Utah and TCU leaving they are probably only goign to get a slight upgrade.

I haven't seen Oregon's SOS actually. I do know that Ohio State's was ranked all of 9 spots over Boise, so color me unimpressed just becaause somebody is in a power league.

I'd take Nevada over USC on a nuetral field. I'd probably take AZ over Nevada on a nuetral field. I'd take Nevada over both at home and likewise I'd like them over Nevada at their respective homes.

This just points out the greatness of college football...you just never really know what will happen when two teams take the field. Anyone who thought Nevada would be a pushover for Boise St. just hasn't been following college football very closely. Let's face it, Nevada saw this as the biggest game in school history and they came out and played like it was a meaningful game for them. They have a solid team and a very good QB. If you are a TCU fan you have to like this outcome, but it will give folks like Ohio States president even more fodder for the press in an "I told you so" comment. Maybe he'll be smarter this time and keep his mouth shut.

Anyway, this is a prime example of why college football is so much fun to watch....hero or heart breaker....Now, Mean Green...go get K St. GO MEAN GREEN!

The Boise loss is good for the Sun Belt and UNT.

The WAC has been able to offset its expensive travel cost with BCS cash. Without the BCS cash schools like LA Tech and NMSU must bare the brunt of WAC travel costs. Finances are what is going to create a 12 team Sun Belt, which is better for UNT.