Announcement Monday Or Tuesday

DeepGreen

I wonder if any another coach who is 30 games under .500 has ever been given another head coaching job at the Div 1 level? His last season at Iowa State he was 1-7 in conference play. His most conference wins in 12 seasons at Iowa St was 5. He won 0 league games in 2003.

Incredible that UNT is unable to find even a head coach that is at least medicore. Get ready for some bland football

56 -85

Edited by Pen Yan Fan
  • Upvote 2

I wonder if any another coach who is 30 games under .500 has ever been given another head coaching job at the Div 1 level? His last season at Iowa State he was 1-7 in conference play. His most conference wins in 12 seasons at Iowa St was 5. He won 0 league games in 2003.

Incredible that UNT is unable to find even a head coach that is at least medicore. Get ready for some bland football

56 -–85

I agree. Look at his head coaching record his first 3 years, and even 4 years really. I have a hard time believing he would have made it that long at most other schools with records like those, including NT.

How many people here have ever been to Ames, Iowa. Given what he had to work with, he did a pretty good job. Iowa State was a worse step sister to Iowa than Oklahoma State used to be to OU, except Iowa State never had a Boone Pickens, so he is not going to be surprised by the lack of the resource known as money. Again, the coach is a really big piece of the puzzle but so is the talent on the field (which like us, he lacked a lot at Iowa State), and the facilities. I think the word Ames speaks to the facilities as for as Big 12 and Big 10 standards since they are in the backyard of the Big 10. The new stadium will be flash, but if we don't win, the fringe people will stop coming...again.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Downvote 1

Trust your intuition, and mine is saying this is going to be an ugly hire.

I am one of the biggest RV supporters on this board but if this is the direction we go and it fails I would be willing to search for a new AD.

I am sorry - I would rather have Fran or Leach or Leavitt or Canales or Rodriguez or Fulmer...

Why we would not go out and get these 2 points covered:

1. Div 1A coaching experience

2. Winning Div 1A coaching experience

is beyond me. I feel like the balloon is losing air big time.

GMG

• Upvote 2

I think McCarney would be the biggest name in the SBC behind Schnelly.

Looks like he was at USF in 2007. I would like to see him retain Canales.

Gagreed. No reason to cut Canales, either. You can look at the last season and see that there's no lacking of a scoring offense, meaning that he's done his job. Factoring in his work in the last few weeks looks better on him as well.

Gagreed. No reason to cut Canales, either. You can look at the last season and see that there's no lacking of a scoring offense, meaning that he's done his job. Factoring in his work in the last few weeks looks better on him as well.

"IF" McCarney is the hire, I would think Coach C would have a great opp to stay in Denton if he's not too hacked off at UNT and Neinas apparently not putting him on the top of the "A" list.

With Chico it has never been about his ability, but the staff he was a part of. As asked ad nausem, how many NCAA FBS coaches has ever been hired from a losing coaches staff no matter the circumstance? None would be the answer to that question.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i would think if it's coach chico you would announce it before k.state game, not after, unless he is your fallback choice. also,in my opinion, this is just not ricks decision alone. dr. rawlings is very involved in the selection process, and i don't see him as a rubber stamp kind of guy. he also will be involved in our athletic program more than any other previous president,and will demand accountability.after dodges failure, this hire has ricks career ridding on it, so i expect a safe choice with no susprises. again, this is just my 2 cents worth.

I wonder if any another coach who is 30 games under .500 has ever been given another head coaching job at the Div 1 level?

Don't know about that, but Gene Chizik was 5–19 (2-14 in conference) at Iowa State when Auburn hired him. He's 19-5 in his first 24 games there.

• Upvote 5

56 -–85

You have to keep in mind how hard it was to win at Iowa St. playing in the Big 12, as well as it being near impossible to recruit good players to come play in Ames, Iowa

• Upvote 1

More and more reports about McCarney becoming our next coach. If he isn't getting the job you'd expect McCarney to issue some denials so it doesn't look like we turned him down. Therefore, unless there's a breakdown in the contract talks I'm thinking it is McCareny.

I'm lukewarm on him. Hopefully he'll hire a strong offensive coordinator to balance him. Maybe that could be Canales but I don't know if he would want to return considering the situation.

One thing I'm a bit confused on. RV said he wanted someone who would spend a lot of time in public to promote the club. McCarney doesn't seem like that kind of personality. He seems more of an old school football guy and a bit gruff but I could easily be wrong about him. I'm just thinking that if McCarney is the hire then RV has adjusted the qualities he was looking for.

Are we really sure its going to be McCarney? If not, there will be some huge belly laughs coming from over at the UNT Athletic Dept. of which this board is hardly in their Top 10 list of favorites.

If it is McCarney, he has more skins on the wall than any of our last 6 hires if you dare to compare. He also now has Florida connections which if we can get a player or 2 or 3 out of that state it would be a good thing and I think even more strongly that he really would need to hire Coach Chico as his OC in Denton IMO. A winning UNT football program will land Coach C his HFC job and maybe in a brighter lights environment than Denton, Texas, is at the moment.

Coach Mac has also coached in impossible situations and whether we like it or not, folks, UNT meets that criteria at present and has been a coaches graveyard of late. Our new stadium gives us some enormous and new opportunities to change all that, though.

I wanted Coach Fran with Son of Coach Fran or Jim Leavitt but McCarney has what Harry's Poll still indicated most on this forum wanted and that was: a proven FBS HFC with some semblance of success. We need to all put our realism caps back on and realize new stadium or not, we were not going to get the 2'nd coming of Vince Lombardi.

Again, Coach Fry's SMU W/L history was about the same as McCarney's and we did see a great coach's comeback in Denton before. Hey folks, we love our Texas HS football but at least we didn't go to a Texas High School this time to hire our coach. There are some definite positives with McCarney.

"May I" suggest that our Prez' had as much to do with this hire than any UNT Prez' since Jitter Nolen took a chance on Hayden Fry? I prefer UNT taking a chance with a coach at the level McCarney has been than taking a chance like we did with the last 6 hires at UNT. Another .02

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

If it is McCarney, he has more skins on the wall than any of our last 6 hires if you dare to compare. He also now has Florida connections which if we can get a player or 2 or 3 out of that state it would be a good thing and I think even more strongly that he really would need to hire Coach Chico as his OC in Denton IMO. A winning UNT football program will land Coach C his HFC job and maybe in a brigher lights environment than Denton, Texas, is at present.

Plumm,

We've disagreed on Canales so far, but that is an excellent point and I agree with you.

+1 from me....as much as that pains me to say...

:P

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

Are we really sure its going to be McCarney? If not, there will be some huge belly laughs coming from over at the UNT Athletic Dept. of which this board is hardly in their Top 10 list of favorites.

If it is McCarney, he has more skins on the wall than any of our last 6 hires if you dare to compare. He also now has Florida connections which if we can get a player or 2 or 3 out of that state it would be a good thing and I think even more strongly that he really would need to hire Coach Chico as his OC in Denton IMO. A winning UNT football program will land Coach C his HFC job and maybe in a brighter lights environment than Denton, Texas, is at the moment.

Coach Mac has also coached in impossible situations and whether we like it or not, folks, UNT meets that criteria at present and has been a coaches graveyard of late. Our new stadium gives us some enormous and new opportunities to change all that, though.

I wanted Coach Fran with Son of Coach Fran or Jim Leavitt but McCarney has what Harry's Poll still indicated most on this forum wanted and that was: a proven FBS HFC with some semblance of success. We need to all put our realism caps back on and realize new stadium or not, we were not going to get the 2'nd coming of Vince Lombardi.

Again, Coach Fry's SMU W/L history was about the same as McCarney's and we did see a great coach's comeback in Denton before. Hey folks, we love our Texas HS football but at least we didn't go to a Texas High School this time to hire our coach. There are some definite positives with McCarney.

"May I" suggest that our Prez' had as much to do with this hire than any UNT Prez' since Jitter Nolen took a chance on Hayden Fry? I prefer UNT taking a chance with a coach at the level McCarney has been than taking a chance like we did with the last 6 hires at UNT. Another .02

Plumm, I think you will love him since he played and coached at Iowa under Hayden Fry.

Don't know about that, but Gene Chizik was 5–19 (2-14 in conference) at Iowa State when Auburn hired him. He's 19-5 in his first 24 games there.

The big difference was that Chizik had a history at Auburn. Gene Chizik would never have been hired as HC at Auburn just off his record from Iowa State.

Has anyone seen this on twitter?

espn_macmahon Tim MacMahon

Don't be stunned if Dennis Franchione ends up getting the job at North Texas.

I would not be surprised to see Fran and lil Fran just in time to hopefully get some of the kids from Blinn

Sorry lax -- started a thread without seeing this post.

Plumm, I think you will love him since he played and coached at Iowa under Hayden Fry.

Mac was the only Iowa assistant coach Fry kept on his assistant coach's staff when he left UNT for the Big 10.

Honestly, I've not followed his career that closely but someone at UNT seems pretty high on the man if he in fact gets the job.

GMG!

As the situation stands now, I would be pleased if Fran was our next coach.

Fran has been my sentimental favorite from the git-go with Jim Leavitt a close 2'nd.

This Coach Mac thing was a total surprise albeit many of us were expecting a possible surprise, too; and we may yet be surprised when they make the official announcement. Hopefully, Santa will give us a nice early Christmas gift under our Mean Green tree come Monday (or Tuesday). :santa:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Adler - If this was only RV's decision, then why would V. Lane be spending so much time with him on this and going on the road to interview folks?

RV's job is on the line and it is well known as such. Obviously you have not been in or around the Athletics Department as of late, or you went blindfolded and deaf! I don't care what gets built, if this one is a failure, he will be leaving on a bus shortly after the coach.

You don't disregard V. Lane's knowledge and experience in dealing with a higher conference when it comes to such a critical hire. But to further explain, you don't disregard your boss or his opinion if you want to remain employed!

I respect your opinion, but this is simply facts. RV is stressed to the max right now and it is showing. Don't believe me, go talk to him and see for yourself as I have.

I would dare say he is stressed enough that you can't drive a ten penny nail up his arse at the moment!

• Upvote 1