Canales Chance As Hc

houstonmeangreen

It seems like the offense was pressing. Outside of Jeremy Phillips, the defense didn't seem to do much of anything. I saw someone over in the chat badmouthing Riley. I think he did as well as anyone could have today. It was like the offense needed to score a touchdown every drive.

Edited by eulessismore

Basing the HC job on a close win or close loss isn't smart. I don't think the actual win/lose of this game will matter.

Unless he was coaching defense, I don't see it as a big deal for Canales, except for one thing: wins and losses are the record that matters for head coaches, interim or not.

Still, if George O'Leary could go 0-3 as interim at Georgia Tech, then go on to turn things around there, and take UCF to a very good record, I think he should still be in the running. I can only think of good things to say about O'leary for what he did on the field, by the way.

Edited by eulessismore

Dunbar was injured in the 1st qtr of the game and played the rest of the game at about 60%. The injury bug bit us again.

The 83 yard touchdown run was AFTER the injury. Seems that Dunbar was in pretty good shape at that point.

I have to agree wit the title of this thread. While I have really liked what Canales has done with this team, he was already a long shot and needed every win possible to help him. Whether or not it really should matter, today's loss hurt his chances.

• Upvote 3

I was here at the game and ULM's offensive line was bigger and much faster than our defensive front. Their guards were very quick and got to the corner to open up holes for their feature back. Yes, I know that is part of the game and all. Just pointing it out. We need some size on our defensive front, which has been pointed out many times here. RV's decision just got tougher, and this will define his career here more than anything except for the stadium.

I was here at the game and ULM's offensive line was bigger and much faster than our defensive front. Their guards were very quick and got to the corner to open up holes for their feature back. Yes, I know that is part of the game and all. Just pointing it out. We need some size on our defensive front, which has been pointed out many times here. RV's decision just got tougher, and this will define his career here more than anything except for the stadium.

That's the sad truth of this game and the outcome. Monroe has as good or better talent and much of it comes out of our own backyard in DFW. This has to change.

Soooo, Wednesday we start a thread that Canales should not be based on this season's record against SBC schools, now we start one saying it should? Hey the Belt has gotten stronger. It will be hard for us to win EVERY conference game for a while. Chico's evaluation should be based on many things, not just this outcome.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Soooo, Wednesday we start a thread that Canales should not be based on this season's record against SBC schools, now we start one saying it should? Hey the Belt has gotten stronger. It will be hard for us to win EVERY conference game for a while. Chico's evaluation should be based on many things, not just this outcome.

This!

It's sad anyone considered the past 4 games as a tryout. It was in no way fair to Canales for that to be the case. His coaching career should be his selling point. Not interim status at NT. I just hope people stop blindly following him because he won a couple of games. There could be some really great candidates out there but people would emotionally jump on the Canales bandwagon. All coaches lose. Hopefully this will be over soon and we can focus on the future. I still think we need clean slate.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The Sun Belt is not harder this year than it has been in the past. I believe there is ONE team with a winning record coming into today's games and that team got absolutely hammered today.

I do not believe that our next head coach is currently on staff nor do I believe that the University paid 40k for a firm to name a current coach. But who knows.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I wasn't impressed by Riley all that much today. Several times I saw our players beat the coverage and Riley didn't give it to them... even when Riley had time. I believe it was because he simply can't get it to them that far. Riley knows his limitations.

I look forward to seeing who gets the starting role next season. Riley will have a good shot. But, I think it will go to someone else.

• Upvote 2

That's the sad truth of this game and the outcome. Monroe has as good or better talent and much of it comes out of our own backyard in DFW. This has to change.

While listening to the game, I heard George call out a Texas town almost every time he referenced a La-Mo player's home town. Sort of left me wondering if they have any players on their roster that aren't from Texas.

Chances are gone thx to Dodge's and Deloach's lack defensive recruiting and failures inthe 4Q

Not sure that we can blame the defensive recruiting. We had the second rated run defense in the conference prior to today and see what ULM did to them. DeLoache can cast blame for our recruiting but our defensive players were higher rated recruits than ULM. Could it possibly be the coaching?