Volleyball

Eagle96

Arkansas State won their match 3-0 today over ULL. ASU and North Texas are co-champions of the SBC west division. ASU holds the tiebreak with a 5-4 lead in total sets won in head to head action with UNT, so they will receive the #4 seed in the SBC tournament, while UNT will receive the #5 seed. That means that UNT and ASU will meet in the first round of the tourney. The tournament starts on Thursday in Murfreesboro, TN.

Arkansas State won their match 3-0 today over ULL. ASU and North Texas are co-champions of the SBC west division. ASU holds the tiebreak with a 5-4 lead in total sets won in head to head action with UNT, so they will receive the #4 seed in the SBC tournament, while UNT will receive the #5 seed. That means that UNT and ASU will meet in the first round of the tourney. The tournament starts on Thursday in Murfreesboro, TN.

The loss to a lowly UALR team last weekend I believe is what cost the team the championship.

The loss to a lowly UALR team last weekend I believe is what cost the team the championship.

The same could be said for any of our 5 conference losses. The game against MTSU (the regular season conference champion) that we had a 2-0 lead and lost 3-2 sticks out in my mind. Good news is that we still get a trophy.

And even a split of the West title is so much farther along then i expected us to do with a 1st year coach! great job by all!

No kidding. It truly shows that it's not absurd for us to expect some results in year 1 of a coach's tenure. Great Job Coach! If he can recruit like he can coach we have some fun times ahead for UNT volleyball.

EDIT: By the way, here are the official seeds for the SBC tourney that starts Thursday...

1. MTSU (15-1)

2. WKU (14-2)

3. FIU (12-4)

4. ASU (11-5)

5. UNT (11-5)

6. Denver (8-8)

7. ULL (7-9)

8. USA (6-10)

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

Could the old "snakepit" men's gym not be upgraded to become a nice volleyball venue? Isn't it larger?

Up until the move to the Mean Green Village, the Snakepit WAS where the UNT Volleyball team played. The biggest problem there really is the acoustics. You can't hear a darn thing the announcer says unless you are right on top of the speaker. Also, the seats are so high that you really don't get a very good view of the game. You are right though, the current venue is too small for the crowds that are showing up these days.

• 4 weeks later...

Up until the move to the Mean Green Village, the Snakepit WAS where the UNT Volleyball team played. The biggest problem there really is the acoustics. You can't hear a darn thing the announcer says unless you are right on top of the speaker. Also, the seats are so high that you really don't get a very good view of the game. You are right though, the current venue is too small for the crowds that are showing up these days.

If it gets to the point where the crowds are overflowing consistently, they may have to start playing in the Super Pit. I know the WKU vball team plays in Diddle. The Snake Pit would be a much better option if they could fix it up enough. They would need to put some pull out bleachers back in on the lower level, and do something about the sound system (if anything can be done). If they could pull that off, the snake pit would be perfect.

The only other thing that could be done would be to just build a whole new facility over there. Salvaging some of what is already there, you could probably build a 2,000 seat version of what we have now for a couple million.

It was never called the Snakepit...just "The Pit".

Wrong

Here's my offer, if you can find frequent reference to "The Snake Pit" in an old Yucca or NT Daily, I'll gladly stand corrected. I never recalled the Pit referred to as the Snake Pit in the entire four years I was at North Texas. I looked through my Yucca's and the few NT Daily's I own and in every case, I see reference to "The Pit".

Granted, it was an opposing coach who "named" the Pit by saying something like, "playing in that place is like playing in a Snake Pit".

Besides, wouldn't we now be playing in the Super Snake Pit, instead of the Super Pit?

Here's my offer, if you can find frequent reference to "The Snake Pit" in an old Yucca or NT Daily, I'll gladly stand corrected. I never recalled the Pit referred to as the Snake Pit in the entire four years I was at North Texas. I looked through my Yucca's and the few NT Daily's I own and in every case, I see reference to "The Pit".

Granted, it was an opposing coach who "named" the Pit by saying something like, "playing in that place is like playing in a Snake Pit".

Besides, wouldn't we now be playing in the Super Snake Pit, instead of the Super Pit?

Nether the Pit, Snake Pit, or Super Pit are official names, so I am not sure what your point is. Obviously, some people refer to the "Men's Gym" as the Snake Pit. If not why is there even a debate, I have zero interest in documenting something that I have first hand knowledge about. The "Men's Gym" was known as the Pit until Maury John's quotes referring to a Snake Pit was picked up by newspapers and "Sports Illustrated", in ether 68 or 69. After that the name Snake Pit gained favor with many fans although the Pit was also used just as it is now. "Welcome to the Pit" for example.