With All The Talk Of Firings...

I'm not opposed to keeping any of those guys however if we change head coaches then it should be up to him to see if he wants to keep them or not. My guess is he will at least speak with the current staff and decide from there. So whatever the new HC decides is what I want to keep or I want to give the axe too.

If we need a new HFC and get one, I'm sure he would welcome all present assistants (who would want to) to apply for their old jobs. I could see 2 of them getting serious consideration--as in both coordinators?

GMG!

PS: Responding to another post: In your kid's lifetimes I don't think UNT will ever again go the HS route in hiring a new HFC.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If we get a high profile coach I think we will see a complete house cleaning, I just don't see either of the Coordinators making the cut, possibly a positions coach would. I think coordinators are the anchors of the staff and a new HC is going to have people in mind.

For me, I'd hope Canales, Gandy, and Charr get a shot to stay.

I wonder what the percentage is of assistant coaches that get retained by an incoming HC is...

Without any data at all to back up my assertion, my feelings and impressions tell me that the percentage is VERY low...

An incoming coach is going to want to work with people he has worked with in the past and that he is comfortable with...

I know some new HC's have kept lesser assistants, but I am not familiar with any that have kept major coordinators...

I know that when I was hired as a Senior Network Manager of a start up company I interviewed all of people who had assisted in the initial process, but I ended up pretty much hiring my own staff... I kept one current employee and the rest were reassigned...

I wonder what the percentage is of assistant coaches that get retained by an incoming HC is...

Without any data at all to back up my assertion, my feelings and impressions tell me that the percentage is VERY low...

An incoming coach is going to want to work with people he has worked with in the past and that he is comfortable with...

I know some new HC's have kept lesser assistants, but I am not familiar with any that have kept major coordinators...

I know that when I was hired as a Senior Network Manager of a start up company I interviewed all of people who had assisted in the initial process, but I ended up pretty much hiring my own staff... I kept one current employee and the rest were reassigned...

It seems really rare that HC keep anybody from the previous staff especially the coordinator openings. When Tubby took over Texas Tech he even axed Lincoln Riley who is the next stud up and comer offensive coordinator at only 27 or 28 years old. A lot of my Tech buddies were pretty pissed Tubby didn't retain him but it is what it is I guess.

I still like Deloach. After the nightmare Mendoza left over, he has made great strides.

Gandy and Peterson are great recruiters. I feel Peterson should be moved back to offense though. Gandy has done a great job with the backs too.

Clean house other than these.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

I still like Deloach. After the nightmare Mendoza left over, he has made great strides.

Gandy and Peterson are great recruiters. I feel Peterson should be moved back to offense though. Gandy has done a great job with the backs too.

Finally the "is he a good recruiter" factor comes up. :thumbsup:

"IF" we need to hire a coach and then hire a "name coach" he will have to know the complete recruiting abilities backgrounds of all the resumes that will come in.

Most "name coaches" will try to bring those in that were assistants for them before (if we can afford them after what we will probably end up paying said name coach). Coach Fry brought assistant coach Andy Everest from SMU but cannot recall any others besides Everest.

GMG!

Agreed. If the new coach comes in and wants a totally new staff, then fine, but I wouldn't be too shocked if DeLoach stayed around if he wants to.

It's true that new coaches do not often retain anyone from the old staff. I'd suppose that it's because if the team was bad enough to have to replace the coach then the coaching staff must be bad. If the coach moves up he often takes most of his staff with him so there's little to pick from in that situation.

Still, in our case (if we get a name coach) most of his former successful staffs have moved up or out and there just might be a qualified member worthy of keeping. If it were me I'd at least look at each coach's specialty and how well they handled it. At least they have FBS experience. I often wonder if there might have been a more positive result had Dodge kept Fred Bleil as DC.

Maybe Gandy.

Other than that the new coach has my support to blow it all up

Its not uncommon for 1 coach to stay with the new staff to help smooth the transition. Keep up with current recruits, info on current players and such.

It is rare for an incoming coach to retain any of the previous staff. Occasionally the recruiting coordinator will be maintained, but with the state of NT recruiting; that is not going to happen.

Conflicting reports disagree.