Does The Coaches Deserve Another Year?

ArkansasEagle

[2] Try and find a permanent replacement coach ASAP and hire him as soon as things get out of hand DURING the season (if things really go south).

No coach worth having would come in mid-season.

[4] Give TD a mulligan on this season due to the injuries. ...

If RV goes with #4, he stands to receive a ton of backlash from most of the NT supporters (based on what I have seen in this forum anyway).

Yep. I'm done with this program if Dodge gets another year without at least winning the Belt.

• Downvote 1

Well it is a redundant question as it has been addressed in the "Does Dodge Deserve a Mulligan?" thread, and in several others since the game. Heck, it started after the Rice game. I think there was plenty of gnashing of the teeth in that one so maybe they are just resting today, and the vote on the board seems to be a unanimous no. That said, what do you think Army of Dad and Arkansas Eagle?

I don't know what board you were reading, because I don't think there has been a unanimous consensus on any topic here.

YES

I don't believe there is a coach in the USA who has lost 10 players to injury (most starters) and has had a winning record. I have never seen this number of injuries......will welcome our posters to inform us on this topic.

QB Nathan Tune dislocated hip, Derek Thompson broken leg

Centers JJ Johnson, Nick Leppo

WR Greg Brown, Chris Bynes torn achiled tenden, Benny Jones

DB Steven Ford, DaWaylon Cook,

RB Michael Mosley

I wonder if our fans can raise the money to pay for Dodges contract next year after he is "fired" and at the same time where will the money come from to pay for some of the named high profile coaches posters are suggesting.

OldTimer

Even when he had all of his players he still couldn't win.

YES

I don't believe there is a coach in the USA who has lost 10 players to injury (most starters) and has had a winning record. I have never seen this number of injuries......will welcome our posters to inform us on this topic.

RB Michael Mosley

I wonder if our fans can raise the money to pay for Dodges contract next year after he is "fired" and at the same time where will the money come from to pay for some of the named high profile coaches posters are suggesting.

OldTimer

Look, the enitre reason RV brought Dodge back was because we couldn't afford to buy out two years of his contract AND pay for a new coach that the fans want. But, RV also knows that this is the make or break year for Dodge because he either stays and gets an extension or he gets fired with one-year to buyout. No one will ever be able to recruit anybody to come play for them if they are in the last year of their contract. The beauty of getting extra revenue from the new stadium is that it should allow UNT to easily payout Dodge remaining year, as well as increase the pay for a proven coach. If we cannot pay a new coach more than FIU pays Cristobal ($390k), then we need to really look at why we are even building a new football stadium.

I have both a comment and a question....

First, I was all for letting TD finish the season, before deciding his fate. Personally, I would probably be OK with even 5 wins, if the team could somehow show lot of improvement in the remaining season.

However, because of the injuries, this season could easily spirial out of control quickly. The reality is that winning 7 games at this point would take a minor miracle (even 5 might take a masterful coaching/motivation job).

So, I see 4 options for RV at this point.

[1] Let TD finish the season no matter what, then replace him and start an official coaching search.

[2] Try and find a permanent replacement coach ASAP and hire him as soon as things get out of hand DURING the season (if things really go south).

[3] Release TD during the season and replace him with an interim coach (i.e. Canales or DeLoach).

[4] Give TD a mulligan on this season due to the injuries.

If RV goes with #1 and takes his time finding another coach, wouldn't this hurt what is left of this years recruiting ? Or, is it already too late ?

#2 might be an option, but only if RV already has a coach in mind.

Option #3 does not good at all to me, unless we plan on promoting the interim coach to HC in the offseason. You might as well let TD finish things out.

If RV goes with #4, he stands to receive a ton of backlash from most of the NT supporters (based on what I have seen in this forum anyway).

Here is my question. Maybe OldTimer can answer it. What percentage of college players have already given verbal agreements for the next recruiting class ? I am guessing that it is already too late for us to have any major positive impact on the next recruiting class.

I had such high hopes for this season :(

Go Mean Green. I really hope that our kids and coaching staff go down fighting this season.

I'll repeat again. The problem is not the injuries or the win-loss record per se. It is the fact that this team has shown ZERO improvement in key areas that have led to losses over the past few years and there was no sign of that changing this year, even before the injuries. Sure, the team showed significant improvement for the Clemson game, but it also showed that it had learned nothing about special teams play, stupid penalties, giving up big plays, lack of good tackling and poor call-playing at crucial times. That is not what you expect in a coach's fourth year with a veteran team. It are those factors that are the deal maker with me. If we had seen some sign that those issues had been addressed, then it might be another story. But as it is, the lack of improvement in some fundamental areas is the deal breaker for me.

YES

RB Michael Mosley

OldTimer

If you want to act like an FCS football program, go be an FCS football program.

Funny how everyone continually ignores what good health this team had last year and the miserable results (even though the head coach said they should have been a 5 win team).

Find the money. Period. Pay the next coach 500K. Period.

You are asking donors to pay 3.5K to 6.5K for seat licenses for the new stadium. That's fine. As long as this university decides to up it's commitment also, and pay a REAL college football coach REAL money.

• Upvote 1

YES

So what is the excuse for 5-31? It's not like he had been out coaching the rest of the teams the previous 3 years. If his record before the season was 31-5 or even closer to .500, then I would be willing to give a pass on an injury filled season.

I think with this athletic department it's the other way around - if the head coach is having health issues and losing, you fire the coach...even if he's taken to bowl games, won conference championships,etc.

With Dodge, the player injuries are simply another excuse for keeping him around for another year. See the difference? The guy who has put a winning product on the field in the past gets sick, and he's out. The guy who has never fielded a winner, then has a season where many players are injured, gets to stay.

This is how great programs are built. You have to completely ignore the lack of depth created by questionable recruiting, and exposed by the injuries, to really have a good understanding of why Dodge should be allowed to stay.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I would have canned TD after last year, but that is just me. There has been no progress in any area on the field. I will never forgive RV for allowing Todd to bring in an entire High School staff in year one. Rick has done an awesome job in almost every way, but that is absolutely inexcusable. Set the program back at least 5-7 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think with this athletic department it's the other way around - if the head coach is having health issues and losing, you fire the coach...even if he's taken to bowl games, won conference championships,etc.

With Dodge, the player injuries are simply another excuse for keeping him around for another year. See the difference? The guy who has put a winning product on the field in the past gets sick, and he's out. The guy who has never fielded a winner, then has a season where many players are injured, gets to stay.

This is how great programs are built. You have to completely ignore the lack of depth created by questionable recruiting, and exposed by the injuries, to really have a good understanding of why Dodge should be allowed to stay.

not to mention one guy had next to no light at the end of the tunnel for facilities and the other guy has a huge light of improved facilities shining right on him

• Upvote 1

Is it just too retro to start comparing recent UNT football coaches with former UNT coaches that had total career wins/losses above .500; also, had many more winning seasons than losing seasons? Probably too retro since many on this board I presume were still in diapers last time we had a UNT coach that had more "W" seasons than "L" seasons. :o

If TDodge doesn't get "seven"--he goes back to Texas HS heaven.

• Downvote 1

I have both a comment and a question....

First, I was all for letting TD finish the season, before deciding his fate. Personally, I would probably be OK with even 5 wins, if the team could somehow show lot of improvement in the remaining season.

However, because of the injuries, this season could easily spirial out of control quickly. The reality is that winning 7 games at this point would take a minor miracle (even 5 might take a masterful coaching/motivation job).

So, I see 4 options for RV at this point.

[1] Let TD finish the season no matter what, then replace him and start an official coaching search.

[3] Release TD during the season and replace him with an interim coach (i.e. Canales or DeLoach).

[4] Give TD a mulligan on this season due to the injuries.

If RV goes with #1 and takes his time finding another coach, wouldn't this hurt what is left of this years recruiting ? Or, is it already too late ?

#2 might be an option, but only if RV already has a coach in mind.

Option #3 does not good at all to me, unless we plan on promoting the interim coach to HC in the offseason. You might as well let TD finish things out.

Here is my question. Maybe OldTimer can answer it. What percentage of college players have already given verbal agreements for the next recruiting class ? I am guessing that it is already too late for us to have any major positive impact on the next recruiting class.

I had such high hopes for this season :(

Go Mean Green. I really hope that our kids and coaching staff go down fighting this season.

************************************************************************************************

NT has 36 offfers outstanding, 4 commitments as of today..almost all still list NT since initial offer date..Ive been checking current status. ...Go to Texas Football magazine web site...it list commitments by schools...I will try to get a link and come back and post it.

************************************************************************************************

NT has 36 offfers outstanding, 4 commitments as of today..almost all still list NT since initial offer date..Ive been checking current status. ...Go to Texas Football magazine web site...it list commitments by schools...I will try to get a link and come back and post it.

Charles (or anyone), if we have to get a new HFC, doesn't North Texas usually honor those we've got commitments from from the previous coaching staff?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Thanks OT.