J.j. Johnson Out For Season

NTerock

OK. One of the major items I was looking for from the Clemson game was to escape without injuries. We lost Ford & Johnson for the season. Both should be able to get medical redshirts, but losing them is not good.

Hopefully Leppo can fill in without a drop off in play. I think he did well at Clemson.

According to reports Ford may only be out 6 weeks. WR Jones and Center Johnson are lost for the season.

Dodge keeps pushing Leppo (Southlake), but Fortenberry is the better choice from a size and skill standpoint.

Leppo is virtually the same size as JJ Johnson. Both are listed as 6'3" with Leppo weighing in at 280 and Johnson tipping scales at 288. I can't speak to skills but Leppo seemed to do alright against Clemson.

still, a costly outing at clemson. these $ games are necessary, but we can't afford to loose 3 starters for season in 1st game. may come back to haunt us.

This is the exact scenario where having RV come out and demand 7 wins could come back to bite him. We lose many more starters to injury and RV's going to have a tough call on his hands should we not reach 7 wins....

This is the exact scenario where having RV come out and demand 7 wins could come back to bite him. We lose many more starters to injury and RV's going to have a tough call on his hands should we not reach 7 wins....

Providing depth is on the head coach as well. Injuries suck, but they happen to everyone...I don't think this will change the mandate.

• Upvote 1

still, a costly outing at clemson. these $ games are necessary, but we can't afford to loose 3 starters for season in 1st game. may come back to haunt us.

And RIley and Nathan were hurt against Arkansas State last season. It is football. People get hurt money game or not. I'd wager half the teams that played last Saturday "loost" a player or two for at least a couple of games.

• Upvote 2

Dodge keeps pushing Leppo (Southlake), but Fortenberry is the better choice from a size and skill standpoint.

With the stakes high in Dodge's 4'th year to get a contract extension (but mostly keep his job) my bet is he will go with who he thinks will help him win games on a given Game Day. I would also guess that Fortenberry will probably get plenty of playing time this Fall, too. With high humidity expected tomorrow with a high heat index at kick-off, UNT coaches may need to substitute often as it is. As the evening goes by we should have cooler temperatures, though.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This is a huge loss. It's gonna be hard to replace 25 consecutive starts, especially from the quarterback of the offensive line. There is a reason UNT ranked among the best in the nation last year in sacks allowed, and JJ was major part of that. I believe Leppo will step up and get the job done, but this is an obvious concern moving forward.

And RIley and Nathan were hurt against Arkansas State last season. It is football. People get hurt money game or not. I'd wager half the teams that played last Saturday "loost" a player or two for at least a couple of games.

I love the word "loost" that you used here. Bravo!! I get tired of reading the words "loosing" or "loose" to describe our performance during a game. Apparently, its very similar to the confusion some on here have for the word "opinion" (or is oppinion?) Spelling rant over!!

Terrible injury to a great player for North Texas. I pray his surgery is successful,

and he has a successful rehab! And I pray JJ can receive an extra year at NT!

Nick Leppo will handle the OL play fine. He handled the Clemson DL for 43 snaps

and did a very good job! During two-a-days, Coach Dodge would put Nick in with the

first team OL in a unexpected manner, which simulated emergency situations if

the center was injured or taked out of a game. Sure enough, a bad injury happen,

and Nick went in cold. Looks like to me, the practice for replacing JJ

paid off. Nick made the OL play calls, and handled his blocking assignments!

Nick is a big guy, at 6-3, 285, and strong as a bull! Nick has a ton of experience

at the center position, and is skilled at making the snap back to the QB.

Nick Leppo has already hit the ground running, and he is ready to start!

I used to say scheduling an FCS would keep player from getting hurt early. But, Miami lost four players for the season in their opener last weekend versus Florida A&M.

These things are just bad luck. Wish J.J. the best - especially since our son is also named J.J. - speediest and strongest of recoveries for the 2011 Sun Belt Destruction Tour!

any way you "spel" it, 3 starters hurt and out for the season in 1st game is tough on a program with limited depth. sorry if my reasoning "loost" you, but money games are usually against bigger, stronger teams where the risk of injury is greater.

any way you "spel" it, 3 starters hurt and out for the season in 1st game is tough on a program with limited depth. sorry if my reasoning "loost" you, but money games are usually against bigger, stronger teams where the risk of injury is greater.

I agree that our depth was damaged, however, our money games over the last 5-6 years do not support your hypothesis.