It's Win Or Else For Unt's Todd Dodge

untwillrise

Very well-written article. I must say, though, that TD either has excellent intestinal fortitude or huge balls of steel to not be troubled at all by this season. Or, rather, the ramifications of not producing a winning season! :o

It has to be eating him up inside.

Todd Dodge is a legitimate football coach. He knows how to put up a facade and he's fluent in 'coach speak'.

It's hard not to like Todd Dodge, the man. Many on here with intense disdain for his coaching still respect the man (although some just don't like the guy all-around). I think most of us hope he succeeds, because that would mean success for our team and our school.

I think we can all look back and see that he was in over his head (especially defensively) at the FBS level as a HC. He's since handed over the keys to his machine to a D-coordinator and an O-coordinator, in whom many of us here have the utmost trust. Hopefully, he has learned the ropes well enough now to start influencing games positively with his coaching abilities.

We'll see, but I'm pulling for Dodge.

• Upvote 2

It has to be eating him up inside.

Todd Dodge is a legitimate football coach. He knows how to put up a facade and he's fluent in 'coach speak'.

It's hard not to like Todd Dodge, the man. Many on here with intense disdain for his coaching still respect the man (although some just don't like the guy all-around). I think most of us hope he succeeds, because that would mean success for our team and our school.

I think we can all look back and see that he was in over his head (especially defensively) at the FBS level as a HC. He's since handed over the keys to his machine to a D-coordinator and an O-coordinator, in whom many of us here have the utmost trust. Hopefully, he has learned the ropes well enough now to start influencing games positively with his coaching abilities.

We'll see, but I'm pulling for Dodge.

Dodge has conducted himself professionally because he is a professional. He has a future at whatever level because of it, too. If he leaves UNT, he will leave with grace. Many of us on this board with even one of our alums on KTCK "The Ticket" (in deed) pushed for the 2 time National High School Coach of the Year to get our job. We had no idea how he'd work out and few would have ever known when Helwig single-handedly hired DD that he would have 3 winning seasons out of 9, either. (Be careful making friends with UNT athletic employees--you might find yourself supporting someone because of friendship rather than performance).

UNT has been a coaches graveyard for many who came before him & TDodge probably even weighed in all that before he took our job in mid-December 3 years ago. With no legitimate promise of a new stadium when he was hired, he really took a gamble with us. Most of our coaches at UNT took jobs who had campus leaders who didn't have clue what direction to take our football program and few could deny that and that was the environment of which most worked.

Dodge seems to be handling all this better than some on this forum. It will not be the end of his coaching world if he doesn't meet the critria laid down for him in his 4'th season. DD had his first above .500 season in his 5'th season, but I realize the stakes are higher now that the Sun Belt has slowly and methodically passed us which really started to happen in DD's last few seasons in Mean Green Country.

I digress: I still look forward to the day Hayden Fry will have something named after him on our campus. I'm not sure his forward thinking for North Texas might have been his downfall among those on campus who mostly thought in a backwards sort of mode years before he was elected into the College Football Hall of Fame. Can you imagine UNT naming something after a former coach with the skins ol' Hay'Boy has on his wall? This will probably not happen in my lifetime which I hope has at least 20 years (give or take) left. That would make me 80 years old (give or take). To you already there at 80 (+ or -) and who have hung in there since you graduated, my hat is off to you and it is your group who should be asked to stand at our stadium's Grand Opening with the PA guy saying: "For those UNT alums who have dreamed the longest for this day & this football palace----we salute you." Just my 02.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The new stadium is a blessing and a curse for Dodge. It's a blessing in that it represents a bright future for his ability to recruit and win at UNT in the future. A curse because it raises the pressure for him to win right away. You are right Plumm, he has conducted himself here in very positive and professional manner and I will always admire him for that.

I've been as critical as anyone but put me down as one that is really pulling for Todd Dodge. It's obvious there was a learning curve there and it appears he's getting over it. When you hear him speak, how he speaks, how he carries himself....he is a coach I would like to see lead this program for a long time.

Of course, if he does, that means we're winning.....which is good too.

But as a CEO type, he can represent our school in a positive way.

I hope he's here for a long time.

• Upvote 4

I have been and am still critical of Dodge but even I am pulling for the guy. He says 6 wins won't get it done but I would be more than ecstatic if we got 6 wins. The bar has been so low that I would bring Dodge back for next year if we got 4 or 5 wins this year. I mean heck that would match his win total for the last 3 years combined. I hope this is the season where he and his staff figures it out and starts the upward climb.

• Upvote 2

I have been and am still critical of Dodge but even I am pulling for the guy. He says 6 wins won't get it done but I would be more than ecstatic if we got 6 wins. The bar has been so low that I would bring Dodge back for next year if we got 4 or 5 wins this year. I mean heck that would match his win total for the last 3 years combined. I hope this is the season where he and his staff figures it out and starts the upward climb.

TDodge says "it's 7 wins or bust" for his program but I think he would be asked to sign an extended contract if we won 6 games and I think most in the UNT community would not have a problem with that at all.

Either way, it will be most interesting to see who our HFC is when when debut our spanking new football palace next football season. (I, too, hope it's TDodge and I base that not so much his winning 6 or 7 games this Fall but the way he does all the other things, too, starting with his P.R. abilitiies of which many of you closer to the scene say is very admirable).

GMG!

The only thing missing from the Dodge package is winning (and some would say the promised boost in recruiting). He seems to care about UNT and does everything right to promote the school.

But the reality is winning is what matters in college football. I'm sure Coach Dodge would tell you that himself. I hope he gets 7, because that means this program will earn some respect and may be considered a program on the rise.

I digress: I still look forward to the day Hayden Fry will have something named after him on our campus. I'm not sure his forward thinking for North Texas might have been his downfall among those on campus who mostly thought in a backwards sort of mode years before he was elected into the College Football Hall of Fame.

If we don't name that new stadium across the steet from 1-35 after Hayden Fry, then we are not as green in the pants as we say we are!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fry wasn't here long enough. He had good seasons here but was only here 6 seasons. To be frank, he doesn't deserve the new name of the stadium. I just think you need a transcendant (sp?) figure if you want to name your new stadium after that person. I say just leave the name and the field to the corporations and have everything else in the NT hall of fame. That is what its there for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Dodge has done everything right, but win" isn't really accurate.

Dodge made a fatal flaw off not bringing in a college staff in year one. Dodge continued to shoot himself in the foot when he ran off our QB in favor of his kid.

Even I would let Dodge stay if he can win 6 games this year, but I don't think he can do it.

The Dodge era is the worst in school history.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

"Dodge has done everything right, but win" isn't really accurate.

Dodge made a fatal flaw off not bringing in a college staff in year one. Dodge continued to shoot himself in the foot when he ran off our QB in favor of his kid.

Even I would let Dodge stay if he can win 6 games this year, but I don't think he can do it.

The Dodge era is the worst in school history.

Well said....

TD is likeable guy and I hope he is successful at UNT...but if not 7 wins...time for a change...past time.

has been a huge embarrassment for our program

has made many bad decisions

played RD as QB...big mistake

but,

has slowly made good changes

represents the university well from a personality and ethics point of view

well know in area and with high schools

many bad decisions last year is why we had another loosing season

and I OFTEN WONDER HOW UNT CAN EVEN PUT A FOOTBALL PROGRAM TOGETHER WITH NO ATHLETIC FEE AND A DUMP LIKE FOUTS. so it is an uphill battle for every coach at UNT

but the tide is turning for UNT, even is it doesn't work out for TD this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

If we don't name that new stadium across the steet from 1-35 after Hayden Fry, then we are not as green in the pants as we say we are!

I realize you're still in your sarcastic mode, TFLF, and I know who you used to emulate around MG Country, too, but I don't know of anyone in UNT's past since 1890 (including Fry) that I would see having our stadium named after, but I guarantee you one thing that we need to find coaches who have above .500 W/L records before they even be considered to have their names on lesser venues.

In fact, UNT should come up with a new by law on naming rights and their criteria. What the hell do we do if the Mafia comes up with $20 million for UNT athletics, name the damn stadium---Al Capone Memorial Stadium? Great fund-raising coup for certain, but a terrible public relations bone-head of an idea.

GMG!

Addendum: OK, I know as a poster and fan I was hardly what you would have called kinder or gentler with Coach DD, but there were things well beyond wins and losses his last 2 seasons that created my concern as a fan with what was going on during that time. I think the final proof of the pudding for me (after 4 bowl appearances) as far as what we were getting & at the level (with the other 116 schools) was that no one ever interviewed or hired DD away from us; in fact, I think Idaho (a lesser or lateral program at best) was the only one who showed passing interest so........ I guess its not politically correct to be right on this forum once in a while (even a blind squirrel finds an acorn) but obviously non-UNT'ers and non-GMG.com posters were also not what you'd call duly impressed, either.

And Retro'n Back To Another Firing: Hayden Fry's firing at SMU (as I recall reading from a blurb in the DMN & Blackie Sherrod's famous "Just Scattershootin'..." column: His dismissal at SMU after the 1972 season was influenced largely when an SMU higher up (probably Dick Davis) asked a Dallas Cowboy official what they thought of Fry and his job at SMU; well, that Cowboy official said "he didn't think SMU was getting much at all with Hayden Fry as coach over on Mockingbird Lane." Not comparing Fry with junk, but one man's junk is another man's treasure? As former NT AD Andy Everest once said, "NT was lucky to get Coach Fry when we did." We had a treasure for 6 years whose dreams impressed me enough as a student to stay on board most of the last 30 plus years. And agreeing with the poster/father below & I'd add: This program would have soon been dead in the water with our non-stop usage of Fouts Field--but that multi-generation albotross will soon be twisted steele and concrete dust.

So I guess its just the nature of the beast in the NCAA with all these coaches firings & the surrounding fallout, eh? Sue me if you must but I (like you) have an opinion, too. :rolleyes::)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I actually feel bad for Todd Dodge. As in any business I understand that you are judged on performance and there is no more scrutiny than a Div 1 Football coach. I've only followed/supported UNT's football program the last few years since my daughter became a student, but as a U. of Kansas grad I do understand the frustration of year after year of football futility and the joy when the program turns the corner to bowl success.....less I regress.

I'm quite sure coach Dodge knew what he was jumping into with the UNT program, but frankly I'm amazed he could get any recruit much less top recruit to sign at UNT with the condition of Fouts field. When my daughter was being recruited for soccer the first place every D1 coach took us on the tour was the football stadium followed by the basketball arena. It clearly showed the university’s commitment to their athletics programs. From an athletics standpoint, one of the primary reasons she ultimately signed on at UNT was their visible commitment to women's athletics (Mean Green Village). Top rate facilities draw better athletes which puts a coach in position where there are no excuses.

I'm a realist and recognize that there are many programs around the country with killer stadiums and facilities that have mediocre football programs (hope there aren't any Michigan fans on this board :o ! ) So I'm not completely letting Coach Dodge off the hook, but I just don't think he has ever been provided a full deck for success.

Since UNT finally started pouring cement on the new stadium he's final on an even playing field..... I’m hoping he gets a chance to step on the turf.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actually feel bad for Todd Dodge. As in any business I understand that you are judged on performance and there is no more scrutiny than a Div 1 Football coach. I've only followed/supported UNT's football program the last few years since my daughter became a student, but as a U. of Kansas grad I do understand the frustration of year after year of football futility and the joy when the program turns the corner to bowl success.....less I regress.

I'm quite sure coach Dodge knew what he was jumping into with the UNT program, but frankly I'm amazed he could get any recruit much less top recruit to sign at UNT with the condition of Fouts field. When my daughter was being recruited for soccer the first place every D1 coach took us on the tour was the football stadium followed by the basketball arena. It clearly showed the university’s commitment to their athletics programs. From an athletics standpoint, one of the primary reasons she ultimately signed on at UNT was their visible commitment to women's athletics (Mean Green Village). Top rate facilities draw better athletes which puts a coach in position where there are no excuses.

I'm a realist and recognize that there are many programs around the country with killer stadiums and facilities that have mediocre football programs (hope there aren't any Michigan fans on this board :o ! ) So I'm not completely letting Coach Dodge off the hook, but I just don't think he has ever been provided a full deck for success.

Since UNT finally started pouring cement on the new stadium he's final on an even playing field..... I’m hoping he gets a chance to step on the turf.

The guy isn't coaching a program slotted in the Big12. The "playing field" & "recruiting expectations" are fairly level in the SBC . Yes, Fouts is old but not a good excuse as to why he's 5-31 in 3 years. Good guy, everyone seems to think so. Good FBS head coach, no.

<_<

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

damn all of you guys are really hard on TD. give him a chance man. this is the best team hes had and the best coaches hes had. he will win 5-6 games and keep his job. this is year 4 and you know what they say about college coaches like charlie weiss, wait till the 4th year to judge them. well now is the time we will see if TD is really what we all hoped

damn all of you guys are really hard on TD. give him a chance man. this is the best team hes had and the best coaches hes had. he will win 5-6 games and keep his job. this is year 4 and you know what they say about college coaches like charlie weiss, wait till the 4th year to judge them. well now is the time we will see if TD is really what we all hoped

I think a break even year will save his job. I don't know about 5 wins, unless he wins the Sun Belt with those 5 wins and ties for the championship or something like that (and we being the last team who went to a bowl and get a bowl because of that). Hell, all this would just be easier if he won 7 games! :huh:

GMG!

Guess that's why the play the games, eh? :)

Fry wasn't here long enough. He had good seasons here but was only here 6 seasons. To be frank, he doesn't deserve the new name of the stadium. I just think you need a transcendant (sp?) figure if you want to name your new stadium after that person. I say just leave the name and the field to the corporations and have everything else in the NT hall of fame. That is what its there for.

Don't forget Coach Fry was also AD back during his time here. We were powers in men's basketball, men's soccer plus had some very good track athletes. Fry and RV have had the most positive impact on the program as a whole since I've been watching (1972).