New Record Enrollment For Unt

SUMG

Tony, I wonder what the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has "requested" that TAMU--College Station cap their enrollment? Probably 45,001? :rolleyes:;):lol:

SUMG and I were marvelling the other day all the real estate at and near the New Stadium @ The Mean Green Village which UNT still has to work with for all our future construction and growth. Of course when you're doing your piloting thing you can see all this better than anyone, right?

GMG!

I figure Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board can't let any school surpass Texas and Texas A&M, with A&M bouncing around 45,000 - 48,000 each year.

There is a bunch of land for sure but I would really like to see the crappy apts and other run down areas around campus taken down and controlled by the school.

Jim you need to stop by our tailgate if you are around this year.

I figure Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board can't let any school surpass Texas and Texas A&M, with A&M bouncing around 45,000 - 48,000 each year.

There is a bunch of land for sure but I would really like to see the crappy apts and other run down areas around campus taken down and controlled by the school.

Jim you need to stop by our tailgate if you are around this year.

Tony, thanks for the invite. Yours will be my first stop. (Mind if I bring some ol' friends alone, too? Just have some Geritol available with some JD in case we need a, uh, pepper upper)! :o:lol:

I may be able to make the Sept. 11 (I have a wedding on Friday, Sept. 10'th and on Sunday, Sept.12'th, I am going to try to make the Rice home season opener if I'm not worn to a frazzle. Right now, the Fouts finale with KSU looks do-able, too. Hope to get more Friday and Sunday gigs this Fall so I can join my friends on Game Day at venerable ol' Fouts Field.

GMG!

PS: BTW, you shot some great campus photos from your plane! I use one as a screen-saver on my desk stop at home.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Is this actually true that the state will make sure that UT and A&M remain the two largest universities in the state? Seems like a wheels off thing to do.

Tony, thanks for the invite. Yours will be my first stop. (Mind if I bring some ol' friends alone, too? Just have some Geritol available with some JD in case we need a, uh, pepper upper)! :o:lol:

I may be able to make the Sept. 11 (I have a wedding on Friday, Sept. 10'th and on Sunday, Sept.12'th, I am going to try to make the Rice home season opener if I'm not worn to a frazzle. Right now, the Fouts finale with KSU looks do-able, too. Hope to get more Friday and Sunday gigs this Fall so I can join my friends on Game Day at venerable ol' Fouts Field.

GMG!

PS: BTW, you shot some great campus photos from your plane! I use one as a screen-saver on my desk stop at home.

Jim the more the merrier, you can't miss us.

It is great to hear my photos are getting used and enjoyed, if you or anyone needs a higher res photo I will get it to you just send me a pm.

what was the amount of the dedicated athletic fee per hr? $10 or so? If 37000 students took an average of only 9 hrs each, that's about $3.3M for the fall semester alone in dedicated fees.

It seems to me an under graduate student had to take 12 or more hours to be counted, I think you could figure the average over 12 hours. Plus any part time students that don't count in the total as I believe it is figured. Grad students may count with lower hours I have no idea.

It seems to me an under graduate student had to take 12 or more hours to be counted, I think you could figure the average over 12 hours. Plus any part time students that don't count in the total as I believe it is figured. Grad students may count with lower hours I have no idea.

Is the 37,000 total students: undergrad, grad, and doctoral? I just threw in 9 hrs trying to be conservative. 12 hrs average for everybody would be $4.4M for fall or whenever the fee kicks in. I think it will start next fall when the stadium is complete.

Is the 37,000 total students: undergrad, grad, and doctoral? I just threw in 9 hrs trying to be conservative. 12 hrs average for everybody would be $4.4M for fall or whenever the fee kicks in. I think it will start next fall when the stadium is complete.

I think you are more than safe at figuring 12 hours and maybe we will be at 38,000 next year. I like the $4.4 million number much better.

I doubt the official requirements will change much if any, but capping enrollment will effectively make UNT more selective by not accepting everyone who meets the base requirements.

Done

Agreed. 37k is nice, but has the average SAT/ACT score increased?

and done.

UNT's admissions standards have already been raised - currently higher that than Texas Techs in terms of required test scores and, yes, the average SAT/ACT scores are up. You can check the UNT factbook on the UNT website for the specificss.

29,000+/- undergrads

8,000+/- grads

Done

and done.

UNT's admissions standards have already been raised - currently higher that than Texas Techs in terms of required test scores and, yes, the average SAT/ACT scores are up. You can check the UNT factbook on the UNT website for the specificss.

Our admission standards are now no where near Tech's. Between 11% and 25% class placement we require a 950 SAT compared to 1140 at Tech. 2nd quartile 1050 at NT vs. 1230 at Tech, and 1180 vs. 1270 at Tech for 3rd quartile. We're also well below UTD's standards, and currently just slightly higher than UTA and Texas State, and well ahead of UTEP and UTSA. We're also slighly higher than UH, but they are raising their standards in 2012 and again in 2014 that will make their requirements higher than ours.

I'm in the camp that we need to raise our standards accordingly while keeping an eye on tuition revenue (we need to show steady to increasing streams due to bond covenants) as well as in consideration of our tier one efforts.

Edited by UNTX
  • Upvote 1

Our admission standards are now no where near Tech's. Between 11% and 25% class placement we require a 950 SAT compared to 1140 at Tech. 2nd quartile 1050 at NT vs. 1230 at Tech, and 1180 vs. 1270 at Tech for 3rd quartile. We're also well below UTD's standards, and currently just slightly higher than UTA and Texas State, and well ahead of UTEP and UTSA. We're also slighly higher than UH, but they are raising their standards in 2012 and again in 2014 that will make their requirements higher than ours.

I'm in the camp that we need to raise our standards accordingly while keeping an eye on tuition revenue (we need to show steady to increasing streams due to bond covenants) as well as in consideration of our tier one efforts.

Checking UNT and TXTECH sites, UNTX is correct.

http://www.unt.edu/admission/

http://www.admissions.ttu.edu/freshman/requirements/default.asp

Also - UNT SAT and ACT scores are not up according to the UNT Fact Book.

https://factbook.unt.edu/c8_fb/cgi-bin/cognos.cgi

Looks like UNTX is correct according to those. I was looking at THECB report - I'll have to go back and see what I was looking at,

Wow that is just sad. I am not certain but I think these are the same requirements when I was a Freshman in '92.

I understand that UNT is a public institution and therefore needs to fulfill it's generalized mission of providing affordable post-secondary education to the masses with-in the North Texas region. With that being said we have the UNT System now and the South Dallas Campus should be handling more of that role while UNT's flagship campus should be raising standards while looking to compete on more of a national and world stage. Much like the UT System.

I think what will be most interesting is where enrollments will be in ten more years. UNT should be at the 45k-50k mark. U of H, Texas State, UTSA, and Tech are all going to be sniffing around that same mark I think (with UTA and UTEP not far behind). As these schools all cap enrollment I suspect within a few years all the colleges will have pretty similar admission requirements and SAT scores. I can't imagine this will sit well with UT and A&M.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth

Looks like UNTX is correct according to those. I was looking at THECB report - I'll have to go back and see what I was looking at,

No, UNTX is not right. The UNT requirements are a MINIMUM requirement at certain % ranks whereas Tech's numbers are ASSURED. Big, big difference people. UNT has selective enrollment where 65% of applicants are admitted where Tech has like 92% admitted.

The average SAT score of the UNT and Tech student are exactly the same.

Tech admissions

UNT admissions

Tech does a great job considering where it is but we have caught up and will pass them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Either way I don't think its super difficult to get into either school. Depending on the programs, each school is selective. Just because the acceptance rate is high doesn't mean he/she can major in anything. People with not very stellar GPA's can get into UT but they sure as hell don't have a chance at getting accepted to the business school.

No, UNTX is not right. The UNT requirements are a MINIMUM requirement at certain % ranks whereas Tech's numbers are ASSURED. Big, big difference people. UNT has selective enrollment where 65% of applicants are admitted where Tech has like 92% admitted.

The average SAT score of the UNT and Tech student are exactly the same.

Tech admissions

UNT admissions

Tech does a great job considering where it is but we have caught up and will pass them.

Not really interested in debating this or anything, but the link you provided to UNT's standards state "Applicants shall be guaranteed admission" - and then the requirements in my original post are stated. So we say "guaranteed" whereas Tech states "Assured" - seems like the same difference to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Additionally, the standards for Tech are new as of last Fall, and previously were much more in line with ours which is why the historical average SAT scores at both schools sit at 1120 each. But with their new standards, they'll pull away from us. Lastly, not sure where you're getting that Tech accepts 92% as it's been reported that their acceptance rate has been trending at 68%.

US News

Edited by UNTX

Not really interested in debating this or anything, but the link you provided to UNT's standards state "Applicants shall be guaranteed admission" - and then the requirements in my original post are stated. So we say "guaranteed" whereas Tech states "Assured" - seems like the same difference to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Additionally, the standards for Tech are new as of last Fall, and previously were much more in line with ours which is why the historical average SAT scores at both schools sit at 1120 each. But with their new standards, they'll pull away from us. Lastly, not sure where you're getting that Tech accepts 92% as it's been reported that their acceptance rate has been trending at 68%.

US News

That may explain why I thought I had seen that UNT's were higher. I do know an individual that last year was denied entry to UNT but was granted admission to Tech. But if Tech is changing their standards, it puts a whole new spin on things. Good info to know.