Breaking News -- Leftwich Is Gone

Brett Vito

I tend to agree with the part about not knowing what will happen regarding his job next year. That being the case, I certainly don't blame him.....especially since he has a relationship with the Tulsa coach.

OK, it's time for the coaching staff to assess Coach Bryant's readiness to step up and be "the guy". FWIW, I trust Coach Canales to make this decision more than......anyone else.

Our saving grace in this whole situation is the fact that we have a veteran offensive line. With guys like Santiago, Gill, Drake, JJ Johnson and others....having a young coach (Bryant) might work out. I'm not so sure I'd want a young coach if we were breaking in a line with a bunch of redshirt freshmen and sophomores.....but our experience may save the day for us.

And I figure Bryant is what 26? or so....as he graduated Tulsa in 2007.

This sucks! But, it might give another guy the chance to move up and show that he is really the one to solidify the line, recruit some new "big guys" and relate to the guys and get them fired up for the season. If a guy doesn't want to coach at UNT, then his heart just won't be in it...so, give me a guy that wants to be here and let's "strap it on, and start hittin' somebody".

I tend to agree with the part about not knowing what will happen regarding his job next year. That being the case, I certainly don't blame him.....especially since he has a relationship with the Tulsa coach.

OK, it's time for the coaching staff to assess Coach Bryant's readiness to step up and be "the guy". FWIW, I trust Coach Canales to make this decision more than......anyone else.

A couple of things bother me. Did Lefty leave Tulsa when Graham arrived? If not, why was he availible?

And then there is this unrelated issue. Lefty and every other coach on the planet. Why the PHk do you demand every freaking day that we be MEN and then in the media you call us KIDS. I hate your coach speak and you are a prik. ROT. We gave you another chance and you do this? When Tulsa sends you packing again, enjoy Nacanowhere.

BTW, if this post gets me banned, it was well worth it. Even if it was for life.

• Downvote 1

You are dead on. This is about job security period. Lefty has a family. He wouldn't do this to the kids this close to the season for money.

Harry, it's almost always about the money. We have talked for years about how underpaid our assistant coaches and position coaches are. I would be willing to bet that if we were paying Lefty $100,000~, then Tulsa is now paying him somewhere around $150K. And how many years has Lefty been coahing at UNT?

Read SUMG's post. We expect the student fee to make up for the sins(non-giving) of our alumni base. Thats what the Mean Green Club is for, same as the TAMU Athletic Foundation, the Longwhorn club, etc.

Don't let Lefty kid you- it's about the money. Counter the Tulsa offer and he would have been Todd Dodge's best coaching buddy.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

This is probably hands down our best coach we have had over the past few years. I can't blame him. All the coaches will probably be looking for a job next year anyways. He has job security , more $ & is in a place he is familiar with. He did a great job here & I wish him the best. No need to bash a coach for leaving.Coaches come and go , it's the nature of the business. I guarantee Tulsa could offer every current UNT coach the exact same position over there along w/ more $$ and everyone would take it. Believe it or not the world doesn't rotate around just little ol UNT.

Some need to realize that just because we are getting a new stadium & fees that it doesn't automatically mean we are going to start winning games , getting better recruits & have coaches stick around.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Harry, it's almost always about the money. We have talked for years about how underpaid our assistant coaches and position coaches are. I would be willing to bet that if we were paying Lefty $100,000~, then Tulsa is now paying him somewhere around $150K. And how many years has Lefty been coahing at UNT?

Read SUMG's post. We expect the student fee to make up for the sins(non-giving) of our alumni base. Thats what the Mean Green Club is for, same as the TAMU Athletic Foundation, the Longwhorn club, etc.

Don't let Lefty kid you- it's about the money. Counter the Tulsa offer and he would have been Todd Dodge's best coaching buddy.

Deep you are right but my point is we could match the financial package and Lefty still would have left because Dodge HAS to win x number of games or he will be shown the door. Graham at Tulsa has a long term contract and will be there for many years to come. Part of the problem with giving Dodge another year is it provides zero stability for the program. When Dodge goes 7-1 and RV extends his contract it will help with the stability factor for coaches recruits etc. Until then we are in limbo. Come on, this guy was let go by Tulsa what 3-4 years ago?? This move was security based and the money was just icing on the cake.

Luckily... we don't need quitters.

why is it that when a coach or player leaves for a better opportunity he/she is a quitter? have you ever ever made a job/career change that you thought would be for the better for you and your family. to say that everyone who leaves north texas is a quitter is b.s.

• Upvote 1

This is probably hands down our best coach we have had over the past few years. I can't blame him. All the coaches will probably be looking for a job next year anyways. He has job security , more $ & is in a place he is familiar with. He did a great job here & I wish him the best. No need to bash a coach for leaving.Coaches come and go , it's the nature of the business. I guarantee Tulsa could offer every current UNT coach the exact same position over there along w/ more $$ and everyone would take it. Believe it or not the world doesn't rotate around just little ol UNT.

Some need to realize that just because we are getting a new stadium & fees that it doesn't automatically mean we are going to start winning games , getting better recruits & have coaches stick around.

He is just doing what is best for him and his family. How do you think the Tulsa fans feel about their OL Coach leaving for Vandy right before the season?

Maybe someday we will be in a position where we are the ones taking coaches from other programs, but for now we are near the bottom of the college football pecking order.

He is just doing what is best for him and his family. How do you think the Tulsa fans feel about their OL Coach leaving for Vandy right before the season?

Maybe someday we will be in a position where we are the ones taking coaches from other programs, but for now we are near the bottom of the college football pecking order.

Did u read what I said or just making a statement ?

I agree , he is doing what is best for him & his family and I can't blame the guy one bit. We all would move to a more secure job with a higher income if offered by another company , this is no different

The king is dead...long live the king! Good luck Lefty and thanks for all you did while you were a member of the Mean Green Nation. I hope you made a good decision for yourself and your family as we all end up having to make those decisions at some time or another.

Now, adiós Lefty and welcome to the new line coach...when the announcement is made. The Mean green will be fine and this will open up opportunities for others...both coaches and players.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Downvote 1

Did u read what I said or just making a statement ?

I agree , he is doing what is best for him & his family and I can't blame the guy one bit. We all would move to a more secure job with a higher income if offered by another company , this is no different

I know it's a novel concept, but I was just agreeing with you. For like the third time... ever. :shocking:

• Upvote 1

--- The first four letters of his last name pretty much sums up his history it seems.... and once again.

--- He has the right to do as he wishes but seems a bit unethical to leave just before the season opens... His agreement to coach for us this year apparently meant nothing. I wonder what he would have thought if we had found a better coach this week and just fired him to hire the better one with just a couple weeks until the season (practice) starting ..? That works both ways. This is all about timing, not his right to change jobs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

--- The first four letters of his last name pretty much sums up his history it seems.... and once again.

--- He has the right to do as he wishes but seems a bit unethical to leave just before the season opens... His agreement to coach for us this year apparently meant nothing. I wonder what he would have thought if we had found a better coach this week and just fired him to hire the better one with just a couple weeks until the season (practice) starting ..? That works both ways. This is all about timing, not his right to change jobs.

Agree with all your points. But it doesn't work both ways in this regard: I'm pretty sure if we had fired him.....we'd have had to pay him until the end of the school year or whenever he got another coaching job. He, on the other hand, leaves us high and dry and doesn't suffer any consequences.

But anyway...I'm ready to welcome on board, Coach Bryant (if that happens on Monday, as expected). Adios Lefty...

• Upvote 1

My sentiments exactly! It is the timing. Another thing to consider is that there is a state income tax in Oklahoma. Also, don't know for sure, but I bet the wife stays back to sell the house here plus the fact she is a teacher in Denton, so bet she goes ahead and keeps her job here at least for the fall. Now, you are paying for two households no matter if one is a long term stay hotel. Add the fact that when she gets a job in Tulsa, the additional 50K he is making and then having to pay tax on her salary, the additional 50K is not that much. And finally, Graham may have a longer contract, but a lot can happen in a season. Coaching is not secure, and Graham's job is NOT guaranteed either for next year. A couple of bad decisions and a couple of blow outs could change it all. Doubt that will happen, but....? Again, a 75K or 100K increase, then I can see him making the move. Yes, I am really ticked. I just think it unfair to this team at this point, period.

I look at it is : we will now have a coach who's heart is 100% into it & ready to prove himself vs. one who was good , but also knew that his chances of being here beyond this year were slim thus making his heart not 100% into it. Best of luck & welcome aboard coach Bryant

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

Silver, I am shocked that you agree with this on any level. I mean you have always called for, at least as I have interpreted, a high standard of excellence for UNT athletics. And, for the most part, I have agreed. I am NOT trying to be negative nor attacking you, but just curious why you seem to be giving a pass here.

I do blame Leftwich for leaving. I doubt his contract had clauses that stated if better opportunities evolve, please feel free to renege on your word. Also please, don't give me the obligatory expression of your concern for your players. Admittedly, most coaches would do the same thing as Leftwich, but that does not make it right. Coaches leave schools and ignore contract all the times, but leaving days before the season is especially disappointing. Kudos to Dodge, for handling this desertion with class.

Edited by GrandGreen

Is there a buyout clause ? I mean shouldn't Tulsa have to pay us his salary ? Seems to me that's way it should be

I've never heard of an assistant having a buyout clause. At least not any of our assistants.

I understand the man had to do what is best for his family. I don't know if he left for job security or for the money. At this point it doesn't matter. The timing of all of this is terrible. I have no interest in viewing this as an opportunity to advance a possible up and coming coach. After finally replacing all of those high school assistants over the past few years, I don't want to add a guy with no experience as an O line coach at the FBS level. Why can't we go hire Canales' old O line coach from South Florida? Didn't someone post that he is at a FCS school. Can we not offer him more money then that school? I know UNT needs to make a quick decision with 2 a days about to start, but lets try to make a smart decision.

Also, although I can't blame Leftwich for leaving, I wouldn't want him back here at North Texas. Has he burned this bridge?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

why is it that when a coach or player leaves for a better opportunity he/she is a quitter? have you ever ever made a job/career change that you thought would be for the better for you and your family. to say that everyone who leaves north texas is a quitter is b.s.

For him to leave when he did, IS sorry. And its the second freaking time he did this. He knows what we pay. If its going to be a problem, then don't come back here the second time. :angry:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Silver, I am shocked that you agree with this on any level. I mean you have always called for, at least as I have interpreted, a high standard of excellence for UNT athletics. And, for the most part, I have agreed. I am NOT trying to be negative nor attacking you, but just curious why you seem to be giving a pass here.

As far as professional behavior goes, your right, he should honor his contractual obligations, even if they are just year by year. However, the current coaching situation here at North Texas isn't exactly the most stable in college football. Or in the Sunbelt for that matter. So I don't blame him for going for what is a more "known" for him, and for what he thinks is much more stable and/or more "prestigious".