Jones A Candidate At Auburn

Evan

This has got to be a tough call for JJ. Yes its a raise. Yes its a step up in conference prestige. But if JJ can't win at Auburn...something that few have been able to do on a consistent basis...he's never going to be able to make the move to LSU.

This has got to be a tough call for JJ. Yes its a raise. Yes its a step up in conference prestige. But if JJ can't win at Auburn...something that few have been able to do on a consistent basis...he's never going to be able to make the move to LSU.

Yep

Just because someone hasn't won at Auburn....doesn't mean it's impossible. Heck....the best SEC teams are in the other division. I don't think a single SEC West team made the NCAA tournament.

As to who would be my top choices, if we need a replacement: 1)Billy Gillespie; 2) Bob Marlin; 3) Bill Foy.

Just because someone hasn't won at Auburn....doesn't mean it's impossible. Heck....the best SEC teams are in the other division. I don't think a single SEC West team made the NCAA tournament.

As to who would be my top choices, if we need a replacement: 1)Billy Gillespie; 2) Bob Marlin; 3) Bill Foy.

I would add UNT Ex Kaspar from SFA.

I was hoping we had at least one more season before he was wooed away.

Still, would you turn down a 375% raise over your current salary?*

*assuming he made what the other guy made.

Speaking of pay does he get more of a raise or incentives? I don't know how much he makes now but I would think that one more successful season and maybe another trip to the big dance and he really needs a significant raise from NT.

Speaking of pay does he get more of a raise or incentives? I don't know how much he makes now but I would think that one more successful season and maybe another trip to the big dance and he really needs a significant raise from NT.

I got a coupon to IHOP to contribute .

Think that'll keep him?

Vito seems to think JJ has a great shot at the job.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/03/jones-auburn-update.html

I think we know who at least one of the "big names" is.

I'd love to see JJ stay. But if he were to leave, it would probably be better for UNT this year than next year, assuming the new coach runs a system anything like JJ's. He'd have all the pieces in place for some early success, and I think that would attract a lot of potential high-caliber candidates.

And if he goes, I would feel a lot better about him going to Auburn than to Houston.

I think we know who at least one of the "big names" is.

I'd love to see JJ stay. But if he were to leave, it would probably be better for UNT this year than next year, assuming the new coach runs a system anything like JJ's. He'd have all the pieces in place for some early success, and I think that would attract a lot of potential high-caliber candidates.

And if he goes, I would feel a lot better about him going to Auburn than to Houston.

I disagree completely.

There's only one guy out there who I feel confident could come in and immediately bring in the sort of recruits that JJ could get us in April and November: Billy Gillispie. And he's got serious baggage. And, he seems all but signed down in Houston according to all the rumors surrounding Penders' exit.

There are a lot of good candidates out there... But nobody else that I feel sure could avoid a possible recruiting dropoff at this critical juncture. We need a solid signing next month, and we need to get at least 3 or 4 top notch signees in November during early signing.

My sphincter clenches when I even start to think about what might happen if we don't lock in half our class early, then a new coach takes over a roster of guys he (probably) doesn't have a relationship with or any experience managing. Especially with young, surging programs at Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic.

If we lose JJ, I'll wish him the best. But if we can just put it off one more year... Just one year exactly, not even through next April and the regular post-season signing period... I'll feel a lot better about our prospects for the future. Bring in whoever he chooses to sign next month, ink half of our class in November on the wave of our tournament appearance and the high hopes for the new season... And if we lose him next March, I'll take it and be happy.

But if we have to make a transition right now, when we're about to turn over the entire roster, and the closest thing to a recruiting "sure thing" seems about to be hired in Houston... We could backslide TERRIBLY.

It took a decade for JJ to get us to this point. It's a fast, slippery slide back down, and it's very hard to make it higher from here. If we lose him now, at this critical point in our program's development... We could fall a long way, very fast.

I hope he stays forever. But I'd settle for just 12 more months. 13 if possible... But if we get 12, I'll be grateful for the reprieve.

I disagree completely.

There's only one guy out there who I feel confident could come in and immediately bring in the sort of recruits that JJ could get us in April and November: Billy Gillispie. And he's got serious baggage. And, he seems all but signed down in Houston according to all the rumors surrounding Penders' exit.

There are a lot of good candidates out there... But nobody else that I feel sure could avoid a possible recruiting dropoff at this critical juncture. We need a solid signing next month, and we need to get at least 3 or 4 top notch signees in November during early signing.

My sphincter clenches when I even start to think about what might happen if we don't lock in half our class early, then a new coach takes over a roster of guys he (probably) doesn't have a relationship with or any experience managing. Especially with young, surging programs at Arkansas State and Florida Atlantic.

If we lose JJ, I'll wish him the best. But if we can just put it off one more year... Just one year exactly, not even through next April and the regular post-season signing period... I'll feel a lot better about our prospects for the future. Bring in whoever he chooses to sign next month, ink half of our class in November on the wave of our tournament appearance and the high hopes for the new season... And if we lose him next March, I'll take it and be happy.

But if we have to make a transition right now, when we're about to turn over the entire roster, and the closest thing to a recruiting "sure thing" seems about to be hired in Houston... We could backslide TERRIBLY.

It took a decade for JJ to get us to this point. It's a fast, slippery slide back down, and it's very hard to make it higher from here. If we lose him now, at this critical point in our program's development... We could fall a long way, very fast.

I hope he stays forever. But I'd settle for just 12 more months. 13 if possible... But if we get 12, I'll be grateful for the reprieve.

You're just trying to be contrary.

Besides, I thought your sphincter stayed clenched.

• Upvote 1

You're just trying to be contrary.

Besides, I thought your sphincter stayed clenched.

Nah, I'm not just trying to be contrary. :)

If JJ goes, I'd say it's pretty much a given that Coach Leonard goes with him.

If I knew the other two assistants were sticking around; Foy as HC and Forrest as his top assistant... Then I'd feel comfortable moving forward by promoting from within.

If Gillispie doesn't get hired at Houston, I'd roll the dice on his personal issues and take him in a heartbeat. I'm confident he could give us a good chance to take the big step that JJ might lead us through in the next 12-15 months. Gillispie would probably be a 2-3 year band-aid, at best- But he'd probably be a heck of a bridge to the next coach in line.

If neither of the first two are options... I might feel pretty good if we could hire Scott Cross away from UT-Arlington. He's obviously got recruiting skills based on some of the guys he's brought in, and he knows the area intimately, and he's familiar with us. But would he leave his alma mater for us? How much is he making there?

After those guys, even the very good candidates carry pretty significant risks of disaster. Not because of who they are or what they're capable of, but because of where we are at this moment and what they'd need to do in such a short time to keep us on the path.

Nah, I'm not just trying to be contrary. :)

If JJ goes, I'd say it's pretty much a given that Coach Leonard goes with him.

If I knew the other two assistants were sticking around; Foy as HC and Forrest as his top assistant... Then I'd feel comfortable moving forward by promoting from within.

If Gillispie doesn't get hired at Houston, I'd roll the dice on his personal issues and take him in a heartbeat. I'm confident he could give us a good chance to take the big step that JJ might lead us through in the next 12-15 months. Gillispie would probably be a 2-3 year band-aid, at best- But he'd probably be a heck of a bridge to the next coach in line.

If neither of the first two are options... I might feel pretty good if we could hire Scott Cross away from UT-Arlington. He's obviously got recruiting skills based on some of the guys he's brought in, and he knows the area intimately, and he's familiar with us. But would he leave his alma mater for us? How much is he making there?

After those guys, even the very good candidates carry pretty significant risks of disaster. Not because of who they are or what they're capable of, but because of where we are at this moment and what they'd need to do in such a short time to keep us on the path.

Gillispie and Fry Street?

I see no way we could get Gillespie before Houston did. But the job Bob Marlin has done is short of amazing making him my first favorite. And we might have a shot at him.

However, before we worry over who we are going to hire we had better be concerned with who is doing the hiring considering how horrible our last selection committee blew the Donna Capp's opportunity. For all we know we could have Billy Gillespie on his knees at our doorstep and the NT selection committee could find a way to instead fall for another glossy-bound sales pitch who has to replace 8 seniors this time next year.

Rick

• Upvote 2