Thursday's Game Against Wku On Tv

GreenBat

WKU stepped out of conference...and lost again. I'm not sure having the Toppers on a 4 game losing streak is where we want them, but it is what it is.

Certainly not a terrible loss going to S. Illinois...and I agree, I don't want WKU after an extended losing streak...especially considerring Slaughter has done a good job of following up his dismal shooting performances (2-12 tonight) with strong games, and I know he likes us.

• Upvote 1

So, how does Thursday's game rate in the "critical game" category? What do you think? With a full squad available, how do the "real" bb folks here think this can go? I think if George and Eric play together like they did last week, that UNT could well walk out of the gym with a win.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

So, how does Thursday's game rate in the "critical game" category? What do you think? With a full squad available, how do the "real" bb folks here think this can go? I think if George and Eric play together like they did last week, that UNT could well walk out of the gym with a win.

Thoughts?

Not critical, but very important. A win would do wonders IMHO. Remember, we've only come out of Diddle with 1 win in all of our trips there.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

This one's tough to gage. Both squads have been up and down this year...really a theme for most of the SBC outside of ASU.

Like CBL, I like our matchup against them for the most part, but I fear Slaughter having a bounce back game against us. We've had quite a bit of trouble matching up on him defensively in the past. Need Big George and ET to show up big again.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 1

George is on a 2 game awesome streak and ET played fantastic for our last game which could be a great sign coming off of the injury finally. If both of the big guys can bring in double digit rebounds, or close to it and ET can get close to the 25 he just had I think that we will be in a good way. These big guys playing so well might just draw some attention away from the back court and give them some space to find a rhythm that they have been needing.

I like the way that this team has been looking and I am hoping to be able to watch them at the pour house with the old man, its always more fun to watch a winner!

• Upvote 2

As far as the two game road-trip goes (at WKU, at MTSU) I see...

0 wins - very disappointing, but with a managable schedule to end the season, not back-breaking

1 win - sets us up wonderfully for the rest of the year, and give us an important tie-breaker over one of them

2 wins - obviously the best outcome, puts us in position to possibly get a bye for the first round of the tourney.

• Upvote 1

JJ should be fired at halftime if we don't beat WKU.

I think you mean if he's not leading WKy by more than 20 points at the half, he should be fired on the spot. He can't beat WKy at the half, that is something only Chuck Norris can do.

• Upvote 1

JJ should be fired at halftime if we don't beat WKU.

Agree 100%

It's truly sad that the majority of this fanbase are content to sit on their hands and watch this team continue to play second halves against sunbelt level competition. We deserve better!!1! When will the masses wake up and begin to demand this quad win games at the half like the big boys?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1

Agree 100%

It's truly sad that the majority of this fanbase are content to sit on their hands and watch this team continue to play second halves against sunbelt level competition. We deserve better!!1! When will the masses wake up and begin to demand this quad win games at the half like the big boys?

At least 15 minutes of PT for Goff and Hall or this game is a bust.

You know what? It wouldn't be all that hard to pick up the phone and call the Pourhouse. I can't be there Thursday (already committed elsewhere) but for those who are interested...how interested can you be if you don't just pick up the phone and call the Pourhouse? Just saying...why wait for someone else to do it for you? Give the Pourhose a call. They are great folks and I am sure they will have the game on if they know a crowd is coming to watch the game with them...BTW...great evening specials on beer too!!!!!!! Good place for the Mean Green nation to meet, eat and drink!

I apprecaite their support for the Mean Green.

Edited by KRAM1

You know what? It wouldn't be all that hard to pick up the phone and call the Pourhouse. I can't be there Thursday (already committed elsewhere) but for those who are interested...how interested can you be if you don't just pick up the phone and call the Pourhouse? Just saying...why wait for someone else to do it for you? Give the Pourhose a call. They are great folks and I am sure they will have the game on if they know a crowd is coming to watch the game with them...BTW...great evening specials on beer too!!!!!!! Good place for the Mean Green nation to meet, eat and drink!

I apprecaite their support for the Mean Green.

Because here how it usually goes when someone calls a sportsbar to ask a question

Pretty Hostess : ABC sportsbar this is Kelly , how may I help you

ME : Hi kelly , I was wondering if you guys will be showing the North Texas vs Western Kentucky game on thursday night

PH : Um what game ?

ME : The North Texas game on Thursday night

PH : Oh , the Texas game ...let me check

ME : no , no the NORTH TEXAS game

PH: Um ..... what kind of game is this ?

ME : Basketball , they are playing on the Fox College Sports Channel

PH : Oh yeah , we get Fox. We should be showing it then

ME : No , it's the FOX COLLEGE SPORTS CHANNEL

PH : I don't think we get that channel , but I can ask someone

ME : Ok , yes please do

PH : Um , yeah I don't know for sure if we do or not , but we do have fox and espn and we usually show all the Longhorn games so we will probably be showing it here.

ME : ah.... forget it

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 7

That's pretty good UNT03. I give you credit for that script. But, that has not been my experience with the Poorhouse. let me give you another script:

PH: Hello Pourhouse

Caller: Hello this is NT03 from GMG.com. I am interested in speaking to one of your managers about a group event i would like to hold at the Pourhouse.

PH: Great, let me transfer you to our manager.

MGR; Hello...what can i do for you.

Caller: I am a UNT fan and GMG.com poster and I am wanting to set up a watch party for Mean Green fans at a local sports bar to watch this Thursday's UNT-WKY game. I know the Pourhouse supports UNT athletics and has a great area to watch games. I think it would make a great watch party site, and I know we can bring several folks to the Pourhouse for the watch party. Would you guys be willing to have the game on TV and perhaps let us use the room UNT uses for its Coach shows?

MGR: Hey, great idea...how many people do you think might want to come? We could even arrange for some UNT Watch party drink specials.

Caller. Man, great...I really appreciate your help and willingness to help make sure the game is shown. I'll get the word out...could you reserve the room for us and get it on the Poorhouse schedule. Man, this is great...I'll see you Thursday a little before game time to see what else needs to be done.

MGR: Great, see you Thursday. We always love having the the Mean Green here with us at the Pourhouse.

That is more in line with my experience when I have asked to use the media room for UNT Denton Chapter Alumni events at the Pourhouse. It's a two-way street and you have to get to the right person and offer a little effort to help get the turnout if you want to get it going.

You might consider this type of approach. Seems to have worked rather well for me and the Denton Alumni Chapter.

Edited by KRAM1

I called to check. The guy said he was pretty sure they get the channel, but was going to check the listings to find out. He has not gotten back to me yet with confirmation.

Give him a few hours and call him back! These guys get busy. If you have ever worked in food service at the "retail" level like The Poorhouse you know exactly what i mean. Offer to help bring some patrons for the evening and I'll bet things move right along if the game is actually telecast. You tell them you can bring 25 folks that would not have been there otherwise, and I'll bet you get it done! You can get 25 to a watch party, right?

YES, YOU CAN! Go Mean Green...beat WKY!!!!!