Let Us Alone....

I must say I am a big fan of The Ticket, if nothing else because of George. However, I am sick and tired of all the talk that all people care about is the National Championship game or the BCS Bowls. I think it is time we put an end to this slaughter that schools like UNT are taking! I cared about Middle Tennessee and was proud of their win. I want to watch Troy win. Everyone knows how our bowl appearances brought us together. Can y'all remember the first New Orleans Bowl and how we sang Dr. Pohl Happy Birthday at the House of Blues. The rest of us spend millions of dollars annually and provide an economic catalyst for the cities that are the hosts.

I do care! Sure, the most of America cares much more about "THE" game on Thursday. Makes sense.... However, I am madder and madder about this "bowls are overdone" business. Who cares they say? The TEAMS and the FANS that are chosen for the Bowls..... I know that records are often poor, but it still is a reward for fans and players. And, so 25 teams (that win) end the season with a grand taste in their mouth...and help them get fired up for next year. I don't expect us to ever be in a BCS Bowl....but, I know I will follow the Mean Green somewhere...be it New Orleans, GMAC Bowl or whatever..... And, will enjoy every damn minute of it!

Bring the Bowls on....yet, another chance to show just how much the SunBelt is improving. Seems like yesterday that ULM went in to Alabama and beat them!!!!

ParksAndRecRick

Edited by ParksAndRecRick

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post! I have never understood the "there are too many bowls" argument. Either you enjoy watching college football or you do not. I like watching teams that rarely play one another matched up against each other, regardless of their record. I like seeing the respective fan bases fired up for their bowl. For me, college football season ends to quickly. Therefore, given the choice, I choose more college football over less college football.

Here are my questions for all of the "there are too many bowls" people.

Do you own a remote control? Can you not change the channel?

Will North Texas playing on December 20th affect in any way/shape/form Alabama playing for the "national title" on January 7th? How will it cheapen the "big" games?

The problem isn't too many bowl games.

The problem is too many teams that don't have winning records in their conferences being admitted to bowl games.

Use the example that Texas Tech's AD used a couple years ago; that all you need to do is schedule four easily winnable non-conference games, and then wins in two of your eight conference games makes you bowl eligible.

Seriously, why are the eighth and ninth place Big Twelve teams contracted to go to bowl games? Those teams have not had successful seasons, only favorable non-conference scheduling.

Bowls are a reward for an outstanding season. These conference contracts cheapen the value of bowls by admitting teams that have sub-par seasons.

Five wins against division 1 schools in a twelve game schedule should not qualify a team for a bowl game.

I heard that rant by Craig Tuesday morning and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It sounded like he was trying to talk trash to the relatively unknown schools who do barely enough and get into a bowl game once in a blue moon and disappear the next year. I wonder if he actually knew what schools he was talking about.

I took it to mean he was upset about:

A Wyoming team that was 6-6.

A Marshall team that was 6-6.

I wonder if he actually knew he was talking trash about the following schools:

Texas A&M at 6-6.

UCLA at 6-6.

Minnesota at 6-6.

Iowa St at 6-6.

Florida St. at 6-6.

Michigan St. at 6-6.

and his beloved Oklahoma at 6-5.

I think what he really means to say is - there are too many bowl games/teams he could care less about because he's a traditional homer and he's never heard of some of these schools because he's a sad excuse for a sports personality. Somehow, I don't think was talking about how he was hanging on every throw of the 6-5 Sooners game at the beautiful Brut Sun Bowl in beautiful El Paso, TX. I'd be willing to bet he didn't have a problem with a Florida St. team that would let it's coach get one last win in Jacksonville before retirement playing in a bowl game they definitely didn't deserve to be in. Probably watched every second of Texas A&M get their ass kicked by Georgia in the destination city of Shreveport, LA in the Advocare V100 Independence Bowl. The only game I could see him legitimately upset about is a Minnesota and Iowa St. matchup - but probably only because they're not from around here and not because it might have actually been the worst match this bowl season.

I'd be willing to bet he's ranting against Central Michigan (11-2) and Troy (9-3) and not because of their records, but because they are not perennial powerhouses. Probably was also not too interested in Middle Tennessee.

It's not really non-AQ teams with horrible records in bowl games - its the AQ teams, with house-hold names that have the crappiest records and still get in. The Sun Belt, consistently said to be the absolute worst conference in D1A was only able to send 2 teams both 9-3, looking to go 2-0 to end with 10-3 seasons.

Unfortunately, it's college football "fans" and "sports personalities" like Craig Miller who prop up the BCS and their auto qualifying teams with their comments. Craig is a great human being. He does a lot of great things with the small amount of fame the ticket has brought him for a lot of charities and good causes. I'm proud that he went to school here, even if he is not. But, very rarely do I consider something Craig says as funny. He tries to be cute with his moronic rants instead of leaving the shtick stuff to Gordon and Jub Jub. Most of his sports opinions sound like a 5 year old kid formed them, which may be indicative of the generic college football fan, but damnit - I guess I have a lot more faith in the intelligence of generic sports fans. This rant by him was one that definitely made him sound like an un-informed, whiny little boy. He's also recycled this bit for at least 3-4 years in a row - as all "sports commentators" do. Surely, he didn't realize he was talking down to a team like Oklahoma...

Edited by MeanMag

I heard that rant by Craig Tuesday morning and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It sounded like he was trying to talk trash to the relatively unknown schools who do barely enough and get into a bowl game once in a blue moon and disappear the next year. I wonder if he actually knew what schools he was talking about.

I took it to mean he was upset about:

A Wyoming team that was 6-6.

A Marshall team that was 6-6.

I wonder if he actually knew he was talking trash about the following schools:

Texas A&M at 6-6.

UCLA at 6-6.

Minnesota at 6-6.

Iowa St at 6-6.

Florida St. at 6-6.

Michigan St. at 6-6.

and his beloved Oklahoma at 6-5.

I think what he really means to say is - there are too many bowl games/teams he could care less about because he's a traditional homer and he's never heard of some of these schools because he's a sad excuse for a sports personality. Somehow, I don't think was talking about how he was hanging on every throw of the 6-5 Sooners game at the beautiful Brut Sun Bowl in beautiful El Paso, TX. I'd be willing to bet he didn't have a problem with a Florida St. team that would let it's coach get one last win in Jacksonville before retirement playing in a bowl game they definitely didn't deserve to be in. Probably watched every second of Texas A&M get their ass kicked by Georgia in the destination city of Shreveport, LA in the Advocare V100 Independence Bowl. The only game I could see him legitimately upset about is a Minnesota and Iowa St. matchup - but probably only because they're not from around here and not because it might have actually been the worst match this bowl season.

I'd be willing to bet he's ranting against Central Michigan (11-2) and Troy (9-3) and not because of their records, but because they are not perennial powerhouses. Probably was also not too interested in Middle Tennessee.

It's not really non-AQ teams with horrible records in bowl games - its the AQ teams, with house-hold names that have the crappiest records and still get in. The Sun Belt, consistently said to be the absolute worst conference in D1A was only able to send 2 teams both 9-3, looking to go 2-0 to end with 10-3 seasons.

Unfortunately, it's college football "fans" and "sports personalities" like Craig Miller who prop up the BCS and their auto qualifying teams with their comments. Craig is a great human being. He does a lot of great things with the small amount of fame the ticket has brought him for a lot of charities and good causes. I'm proud that he went to school here, even if he is not. But, very rarely do I consider something Craig says as funny. He tries to be cute with his moronic rants instead of leaving the shtick stuff to Gordon and Jub Jub. Most of his sports opinions sound like a 5 year old kid formed them, which may be indicative of the generic college football fan, but damnit - I guess I have a lot more faith in the intelligence of generic sports fans. This rant by him was one that definitely made him sound like an un-informed, whiny little boy. He's also recycled this bit for at least 3-4 years in a row - as all "sports commentators" do. Surely, he didn't realize he was talking down to a team like Oklahoma...

Maybe he's like so many of us here who haven't figured out we haven't really said anything new in a while. If I think of anything though, I'll start a few threads to share it with everybody. My prediction of the next big thing: a new coach (yet possibly one here who somehow manages to figure this out) comes up with some scheme (maybe called the spread punt formation) to keep our punts from being blocked. This will go unnoticed for a long time, because improvements will show up in things that don't happen. I mean, you won't see Vito writing something like "the 2010 season is finished, and North Texas' punting unit has not allowed a punt to be blocked all year".

Edited by eulessismore

Isn't all talk radio that way though, not just sports talk radio?

No, if it weren't for conservative talk radio we wouldn't know about half the crap our politicians try to pull over on us. The national major tv media certainly isn't going to report on it. Another example, WBAP gives a traffic report for auto commuters every 5 minutes on the day. That's saved me several times heading in going to work by knowing when and where to go around a fatality investigation.

Rick

No, if it weren't for conservative talk radio we wouldn't know about half the crap our politicians try to pull over on us. The national major tv media certainly isn't going to report on it.

Aren't you making a similar argument that libs make regarding conservative radio though? The ticket is merely providing content its listening base wants/likes to hear much like conservative talk radio is providing content its listening base wants/likes to hear.

Don't call an opinion expressed on the ticket as garbage and then use conservative radio as an infallible source of information.

My point was just expanding on your throwing the ticket under bus in that you get what you deserve no matter what the format is for the talk radio station, whether it be sports, politics, or whatever Howard Stern is talking about at the moment.

Here are my questions for all of the "there are too many bowls" people.

Do you own a remote control? Can you not change the channel?

Will North Texas playing on December 20th affect in any way/shape/form Alabama playing for the "national title" on January 7th? How will it cheapen the "big" games?

Iono... mebbe the winning team puts on pirate hats and raids the Alabama sideline for rum and athletic tape?

I'm having you're Arbys.

You know, I actually thought Quoner was Gordon Keith for a while until I realized that Gordon cares nothing for football. But they do fulfill similar roles... both enjoy conversational arsonism, one just does it on the airwaves, one does in on a series of tubes.

I have to agree that the problem lies with the glut of teams not bowl games.

You look at the Big Ten or Big Twelve where they have bowl deals all the way down the line, while the Sun Belt gets One (now two).

Granted bowls are all about money, and bringing in fans. A team like Minnesota, Nebraska, or Iowa is going to have the entire state behind them where as Troy, North Texas, or even Texas State would have a niche market.

Personally I side with Craig in that there are way too many bowls. I dont know how Craig feels about he BCS 6-6 teams but I for one think they don't deserve to go to a bowl either.

As for the The Ticket...either you get it or you don't. I've been a die hard P1 since day 1. I've attempted to listen to radio sports talk shows all over the country and I can't bear listening more than 5 minutes.

Personally I side with Craig in that there are way too many bowls. I dont know how Craig feels about he BCS 6-6 teams but I for one think they don't deserve to go to a bowl either.

As for the The Ticket...either you get it or you don't. I've been a die hard P1 since day 1. I've attempted to listen to radio sports talk shows all over the country and I can't bear listening more than 5 minutes.

Love listening to the Ticket, but I find that I no longer can listen to music radio, especially not new music radio. I travel so much that I have to listen to sports talk in the car, it is the only thing I can stomach. But they do pretty much suck everywhere else. boring and annoying

Aren't you making a similar argument that libs make regarding conservative radio though? The ticket is merely providing content its listening base wants/likes to hear much like conservative talk radio is providing content its listening base wants/likes to hear.

Don't call an opinion expressed on the ticket as garbage and then use conservative radio as an infallible source of information.

My point was just expanding on your throwing the ticket under bus in that you get what you deserve no matter what the format is for the talk radio station, whether it be sports, politics, or whatever Howard Stern is talking about at the moment.

I never said anything was infallible. You made reference that "All Talk Radio is Garbage". I said that "The Ticket Is Garbage", and the origination of this thread proves that point a bit. I would also imagine the fact that there's two new all sports talk radio channels may also support this "The Ticket Is Garbage" stance?

There's great talk radio that's informative, regardless of the subject, as well as I'm sure there's some great other sports talk radio shows. I chose to use Conservative talk radio as an example because that is what I listen to as well as news radio in general such as WBAP, KLIF, and KRLD for news, weather and traffic, fishing and hunting shows, the Dirt Doctor etc..... WBAP has gotten it wrong before also, remember the early reports I gave here about their coverage of the student stadium vote? We called, applied pressure and within an hour they readjusted and got it right?

And there may be some informational Liberal radio shows but I simply wouldn't know about them myself because there's so few of them that exist that I know of? I've never heard anyone reference a single one, not once. My guess is their unpopularity is why they bring up the rear in ratings due to quality subject content which explains the latest discussions of reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine by Dem's Dick Durbin and John Kerry?

P.S. Sean, after rereading what you typed I think I misread what you meant.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I would also imagine the fact that there's two new all sports talk radio channels may also support this "The Ticket Is Garbage" stance?

It could also mean that this is a very large radio market and there are multiple companies trying to compete for the Dallas sports radio dollar and there is no correlation with the quality of the Ticket.

here's a link to his blog where he rants about this subject.

http://juniormiller1310.blogspot.com/2010/...-fix-bowls.html

I want him to be more specific on who doesn't need to be there. I want him to say, "OU does not deserve to be in a bowl game."

I want him to prove he can do research and really know what teams he's talking about getting rid of. He says, "No Trash Teams". I want him to specify what "trash teams" those are.

He's also looking at a bowl as a reward... It's not really a reward for the teams. It's a reward for the fans to see another out of conference match up that isn't picked by the schools themselves. And an opportunity for ESPN and Bowl destinations to cash in on that. That's the allure of the bowl games. NCAA Fans get to see their teams game out of conference schedules to their advantage, whether it be for money or a win. This usually ends in a horrible match up and terrible game. The conference season brings the Rivalries, but might be boring year after year playing the same teams. The bowl game takes the match-making away from the schools' ADs and coaches and sometimes you get a truly interesting match up between 2 teams that rarely, if ever, played.. Ex: Boise St. vs Oklahoma. Or - Texas vs Ohio St. that just recently met for the first time ever on the football field. I'm for a playoff even though I think a +1 is a much more attainable and realistic goal and would normally serve the purpose adequately - this year included. I don't care if you eliminate another bowl to make that happen.

Edited by MeanMag

I think on the Hardline it was brought up that the Fiesta Bowl brought in the largest TV share throughout the entire game (13 million viewers?), which actually rated higher than many of the NBA Finals games. Not bad for 2 undefeated non-AQ teams that don't belong in a big game like this, don't you think? I'd be interested to see if that ranks higher than the MNC or not.

MeanMag: According to ESPN OU finished with a 7-5 regular season record and won the Sun Bowl.

Edited by UNTFan23