Sam Houston State Close To Naming New Football Coach

mgsteve

The Huntsville Item

"Dickey has been the offensive coordinator at New Mexico for one season. He held the same spot at Utah State the previous two years. Dickey was the head coach at North Texas from 1998-2006. During that stretch, the Mean Green won four straight Sun Belt Conference championships (2001-04), going 25-1 in league play.

Dickey guided North Texas to its first bowl win in 57 years, a 24-19 victory over Cincinnati in the 2002 New Orleans Bowl. The offensive-minded coach has also served as the offensive coordinator at Memphis (1986-89), UTEP (1994-96) and SMU (1997)."

Dickey's exit here was classless, but I hope he gets another head coaching gig somewhere to see if he can recreate the four-year title run he had in Denton. Maybe he's learned something by how things fell apart at UNT.

It also would be good to see Diet Coke boy find work in this economy.

Edited by rcade

I would think Sam Houston is desperate if DD is very high on the list. But, I do think it would be fun to see DD back for a game with UNT as the head coach of another team. Can you imagine the GMG.com chatter before and after that game????? It might just crash the whole system...Ha! The monitors would have to work double shifts to keep folks half-way civil...might even be better than the game itself!

Of course, the Mean Green would win, DD would have his team in all black uniforms and run the ball up the middle 40% of the time. TD would pass 75% of the time and never use the tight end to exploit DD's defenders playing 6 yards off the ball.....what else is new? Ha! This could really get good...maybe DD would even give the UNT fans the "bird"...you know, he had such respect for the fans and all......

I would think Sam Houston is desperate if DD is very high on the list. But, I do think it would be fun to see DD back for a game with UNT as the head coach of another team. Can you imagine the GMG.com chatter before and after that game????? It might just crash the whole system...Ha! The monitors would have to work double shifts to keep folks half-way civil...might even be better than the game itself!

Of course, the Mean Green would win, DD would have his team in all black uniforms and run the ball up the middle 40% of the time. TD would pass 75% of the time and never use the tight end to exploit DD's defenders playing 6 yards off the ball.....what else is new? Ha! This could really get good...maybe DD would even give the UNT fans the "bird"...you know, he had such respect for the fans and all......

It's true. The intense banter between the 15-20 people who still care about tearing Dickey down and the handful not tired of arguing with them might overload the hamster turning the wheel that powers the site.

It might be fun to think about but it will never happen. Can you imagine the howl that would go up if a Dickey coached team actually defeated a Dodge coached team ??? Oh, baby.......... For all his faults - and he has a few - Rick V is WAY too smart to ever let that happen.

Is the Texas A&M - Commerce coach named Guy Moriss the same guy who coached Kentucky? If DD got the job, wonder if he could hire DeLoach away from here?

Yes, it's the same Guy Morris. Former coach at Baylor also.

Could Sam Houston pay more than we do? Don't think Deloach would leave just to rejoin DD unless more money was involved.

I love how when we talk about changing coaches.....some of our fans say stuff like, "Who you gonna get to come here for what we pay?"

Yeah. And yet at pissant Sam Houston State......they have an opening, and three former Div. I-A head coaches apply. And might I add guys who had some success as Div. 1-A head coaches (Dickey, Helton, Morriss).

Just saying, that if we ever do have an opening.....you'll be surprised at the quality of the candidates. Not saying we'll hire the right one.....but there'll be some good candidates.

BTW.....I think SHSU should hire Chris Thomsen of ACU. I think he'd be a great hire for them.

Edited by SUMG

I love how when we talk about changing coaches.....some of our fans say stuff like, "Who you gonna get to come here for what we pay?"

Yeah. And yet at pissant Sam Houston State......they have an opening, and three former Div. I-A head coaches apply. And might I add guys who had some success as Div. 1-A head coaches (Dickey, Helton, Morriss).

Just saying, that if we ever do have an opening.....you'll be surprised at the quality of the candidates. Not saying we'll hire the right one.....but there'll be some good candidates.

BTW.....I think SHSU should hire Chris Thomsen of ACU. I think he'd be a great hire for them.

Couldn't agree with this post more. It's all about expectations. If you think the fat girl is the only one that will dance with you, and you never ask the pretty ones, then you shouldn't complain when you have to wallow in the slop.

Couldn't agree with this post more. It's all about expectations. If you think the fat girl is the only one that will dance with you, and you never ask the pretty ones, then you shouldn't complain when you have to wallow in the slop.

This is either mixed analogies or you are doing it WAY wrong.

DD's parents live in Houston - they used to be regulars at our game-watching parties at SRO. I'm sure that part of the appeal of SHSU for him is the closeness to them.

If I remember correctly, Mattress Mac's brief re-involvement with NT Football was sparked by meeting Jim Dickey. if DD does become coach at SHSU, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mac making donations to them - that might even be the reason DD gets the job.