Dodge Deserves One More Year

the real grad88

The real question here is what would the cost be if we let TD go? How much money would it cost to buy him out or would he accept and OC type of role? What about his assistants? How much $?

I don't think that the administration is taking this lying down, I just think that their hands are tied thanks to monetary restrictions of the contracts. The Student fee hasn't gone into effect yet and they are having enough of a hard time funding the new stadium to begin with. Where the hell are they going to get the money to buy out one set of coaches and assistants and they turnaround and pay a new coach and his assistants? And we are going to do this and try to get better?! I don't think that it is economically feasible at this point.

Dodge's team has been showing improvement, not enough mind you but improvement just the same. IF we have to wait it out due to money then lets wait it out with a positive attitude and continue to support, attend and try to enjoy some Mean Green Football!

You knw what? I remeber a GREAT chicken fried steak meal at the Hickory House here in Denton (University Dr.) for 79 cents! I was really sad when that place closed. Talk about a tradition!

• Upvote 1

You don't think there should have been negative talk after that debaucle? And while I'm at it. The "miracle in the desert was just that.....a miracle". It had nothing to do with coaching brillance. Also, that season produced the North Texas rule (minimum of 6 wins to be bowl eligible). Makes you proud doesn't it?

One big difference between the La Monroe game comparison.....I was there and there couldn't have been more 50 fans at that game if I remember correctly. Even with our record didn't we have over 20,000 fans the last two home games?

On the fire Dodge people its the same posters who have been posting that for at least the last year, regarless of any process and there has been some, And I do believe the coaches we are recruiting against are asking our prospects to view go mean green because our coach won't be here when they arrive.

And I do believe the coaches we are recruiting against are asking our prospects to view go mean green because our coach won't be here when they arrive.

LOL Old Timer!! I appreciate the hell out of you but that's funny!! We can only hope that other coaches are asking recruits to visit GMG.

Serious question, OldTimer: Do you really fear that recruits are going to come to this site NOT KNOWING that Dodge's record is 4-27? I'm assuming that the other coaches we're recruiting against don't even have to bother talking us down right now....all they have to do is call scoreboard and point to our record---well, everyone but WKU.

I think that college coaches should be given enough time for THEIR RECRUITS to become at least juniors, if not seniors. That is the only way to determine if their recruiting and coaching is going to pay off. To let him go after this year would be premature. Look how young this team is. One more year, and if there is not a major improvement, then it will be time. If you let him go this year, we basically START OVER before we know what we were going to have. THEN, we have to wait 2 or 3 years with the new coach before we can expect any progress.

ARE YOU CRAZY????????

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

I think that college coaches should be given enough time for THEIR RECRUITS to become at least juniors, if not seniors. That is the only way to determine if their recruiting and coaching is going to pay off. To let him go after this year would be premature. Look how young this team is. One more year, and if there is not a major improvement, then it will be time. If you let him go this year, we basically START OVER before we know what we were going to have. THEN, we have to wait 2 or 3 years with the new coach before we can expect any progress.

ARE YOU CRAZY????????

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Think it might be easier for you to say this because your college team of choice is currently #6 in the BCS? I'd be more apt to ride Dodge out if I didn't have just the one iron in the NCAAFB fire.

Think it might be easier for you to say this because your college team of choice is currently #6 in the BCS? I'd be more apt to ride Dodge out if I didn't have just the one iron in the NCAAFB fire.

He's quoting the original post that started the thread, but must have accidentally deleted the quote tags.

I think he's incredulous at the idea, not advocating the position, that Dodge should be retained.

I line up with Ole Green Guts, bigrobdsp, KRAM1 and others. Winning is not something that you just switch on. We have all paid our dues for the last three years...now is not the time to fold. TD seems to be on the right track, although it is taking a LOT longer to produce wins than we anticipated. My opinion is that we can't pull the rug out from under him now...for reasons not all related to him personally. Stay the course and honor our contract; this time next year we will absolutely know what has to be done, good or bad.

Two or three more wins this year will build some momentum for next year, and at this point that is what we need to look to IMHO.

Count me in with this minority group as well. But hey, if repeatedly calling for the coach's head helps the others cope, who am I to judge.

ARE YOU CRAZY????????

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Wouldn't we have to start over anyway if Coach Dodge had been the success that the administration had hoped he would be and he got hired away from us?

I've mentioned this before, and I guess that this is as good a place as any to mention it again.

Our last High School coaching experiment lasted only three years and his record was 11-21-1. AND we were within one point on four of those losses and within two on another.

So the record might have been 16-16-1.

Our money games during that era.

1991 Oklahoma 2-40

1992 SMU 14-28 & Texas 15-33

1993 Ne braska 14-76

I guess the administrators were much less understanding back then.

Great Post with alot of solid facts... Someone should send this to the people in the Athletic Department to evaluate, because they are all from Southern Miss and dont have a clue about our program's history and are only here to pick up their paychecks.

In all fairness Dodge should get until the end of the season.

Then RV should ask himself if these improvement are the sign of a team coming together or a coach just figuring out FBS football.

If Dodge does come back he should be on absolute notice; your out with the sixth loss of the season.

P.S. It was weak to remove by earlier post.

they are all from Southern Miss and dont have a clue about our program's history and are only here to pick up their paychecks.

Based on that logic, the University of Texas should never have hired D.X. Bible since he had been at A&M nor Darrel Royal since he was from Oklahoma. Nor should any company do anything other than simply promote from within. So where every your first job is, that should be the limit of your progress.

Just maybe, hiring the best people you can find no matter where they came from might be a good idea. ;)

In all fairness Dodge should get until the end of the season.

Then RV should ask himself if these improvement are the sign of a team coming together or a coach just figuring out FBS football.

If Dodge does come back he should be on absolute notice; your out with the sixth loss of the season.

Who are you and what did you do with the real shaft?

I've mentioned this before, and I guess that this is as good a place as any to mention it again.

Our last High School coaching experiment lasted only three years and his record was 11-21-1. AND we were within one point on four of those losses and within two on another.

So the record might have been 16-16-1.

Our money games during that era.

1991 Oklahoma 2-40

1992 SMU 14-28 & Texas 15-33

1993 Ne braska 14-76

I guess the administrators were much less understanding back then.

Actually, Parker had a three-year deal and his AD, Steve Sloan, had resigned in the fall of his last season (1993). Craig Helwig came in as the AD in early 1994, which was amazing that an athletic department could go MONTHS without an AD. Anyway, he was here for about a month and fired Parker, who's contract ran out at the end of the spring or summer of 1994. He had no interest at all in giving him a new contract. We had no buyout of Parker to deal with, so we could go out and make a good hire, which is what we did--getting a guy who had skins on the wall, so to speak , with his experience as a D-1 assistant. The admin wasn't more uderstanding back then--they were lucky that Steve Sloan left the job and no one even wanted the job, so we left our head coach to hang out in the wind in his last year. Trust me, Parker was in WAY over his head and should have been fired when he got canned, but the lack of a buyout didn't pose an issue like we have now. To me, those last three years of D-1aa were the best examples of how poor a decision we made as a university to go down to that level and just how far it put us behind the 8-ball. We are still paying for those years today. Corky may have been great, but even with that, that entire time at UNT in purgatory may never be repaired.

Actually, Parker had a three-year deal and his AD, Steve Sloan, had resigned in the fall of his last season (1993). Craig Helwig came in as the AD in early 1994, which was amazing that an athletic department could go MONTHS without an AD. Anyway, he was here for about a month and fired Parker, who's contract ran out at the end of the spring or summer of 1994. He had no interest at all in giving him a new contract. We had no buyout of Parker to deal with, so we could go out and make a good hire, which is what we did--getting a guy who had skins on the wall, so to speak , with his experience as a D-1 assistant. The admin wasn't more uderstanding back then--they were lucky that Steve Sloan left the job and no one even wanted the job, so we left our head coach to hang out in the wind in his last year. Trust me, Parker was in WAY over his head and should have been fired when he got canned, but the lack of a buyout didn't pose an issue like we have now. To me, those last three years of D-1aa were the best examples of how poor a decision we made as a university to go down to that level and just how far it put us behind the 8-ball. We are still paying for those years today. Corky may have been great, but even with that, that entire time at UNT in purgatory may never be repaired.

Which is why Fall 2000 into Spring 2001 was so great in that spineless Helwig was shown the door, he did way to much damage.

Which is why Fall 2000 into Spring 2001 was so great in that spineless Helwig was shown the door, he did way to much damage.

That's an interesting observation considering that historically the faculty and administration at North Texas preferred their AD's to be spineless. IMHO that's why they disliked Hayden Fry so much.