Terrible Defense

ForneyGreen

I guess this defense has reverted back to its old ways where every QB has a career day against us.

Even though some stats looked ok until the last 2 games, this defense has not produced when it counts.

* Defense couldn't hold a lead against Ohio

* Defense couldn't hold a lead against ULaLa

* Defense gets shredded by FAU and Troy. I know Troy is a pretty good team, but really, should we be getting whipped that badly?

I guess we'll have to score 45 pts to win against WKU...

At some point, this defense has to get much better for this thing to get turned around. Even when we're not turning the ball over, the defense can't get it done.

Deloach's defense is worse than Dodge's offense yet he catches little to no flack for it. You hear people call Dodge "Teflon Todd".... Maybe it should be "Kevlar Gary."

First, Dodge as head coach is responsible for all aspects of the game. Second, he is responsible for the quality, or lack of quality, of the recruits. Third, having such an inconsistent and mistake prone offense, puts additional pressure on what is an average defense.

Dodge, gets the blame because the last time I looked he was in charge. He also wasted much than a score of scholarships on players who simply were inadequate and did very little defensive recruiting for the first two years here.

First, Dodge as head coach is responsible for all aspects of the game. Second, he is responsible for the quality, or lack of quality, of the recruits. Third, having such an inconsistent and mistake prone offense, puts additional pressure on what is an average defense.

Dodge, gets the blame because the last time I looked he was in charge. He also wasted much than a score of scholarships on players who simply were inadequate and did very little defensive recruiting for the first two years here.

If Deloach gets all the credit for his defenses of earlier this decade, shouldn't he get some flack for what he is putting on the field now-a-days?

Kevlar Gary strikes again.

:mellow:

If there's one guy in the world I know can make a defense not just work, but dominate given the recruiting talent, facilities, and everything else that comes in package with North Texas, it's Gary DeLoach.

We've been pretty bad the past few weeks, and we were pretty bad last year. But if DeLoach can't get it done here, now... I don't think there's anyone else who can. I don't know WHY it's not coming together for him yet... But whatever the reason is- if he can't do it, I don't know who can.

I also believe that whatever it is that's keeping him from putting a strong defense on the field... If he's allowed to handle it the way he believes is right, he'll get it fixed faster than anyone else we'd bring in here could.

If there's one guy in the world I know can make a defense not just work, but dominate given the recruiting talent, facilities, and everything else that comes in package with North Texas, it's Gary DeLoach.

We've been pretty bad the past few weeks, and we were pretty bad last year. But if DeLoach can't get it done here, now... I don't think there's anyone else who can. I don't know WHY it's not coming together for him yet... But whatever the reason is- if he can't do it, I don't know who can.

I also believe that whatever it is that's keeping him from putting a strong defense on the field... If he's allowed to handle it the way he believes is right, he'll get it fixed faster than anyone else we'd bring in here could.

Maybe you can get DeLoach to explain AK 47 and Cantly at DE and Gilmore a backup DT. I would love to hear it. Maybe while he's at it he can explain our lack of pass coverage.

Maybe he can explain why opponents score at will when they reach the red zone.

Is something keeping him from putting a strong defense on the field? Is he not allowed to handle it the way he believes is right. I there some inside info you would like to share?

The double super secret forum awaits your reply.

I'll go ahead and say - fire them both. Fire them all.

There. Happy? Nothing is working these days. We're in year three. The same crap that was happening under Dickey in 2005-2006 and Dodge in 2007-2008 is still happening. Clear everyone out...blow it the f up and start over.

I'll disagree with that; other than Alabama (and nobody's running on them, as far as I know), our running game has been working very well this year, excellent even in a couple of losing efforts.

If Deloach gets all the credit for his defenses of earlier this decade, shouldn't he get some flack for what he is putting on the field now-a-days?

Maybe that's the problem, DeLoach's def. may be better than it was under Dickey, however the Sun Belt is a much better conference that it was back then . It seems to me that this year's team is the best team we have put on the field in the last 6 years or so. The recruiting efforts seem to have centered on WR's, needs to concentrate more on both, off. and def. linemen. As for as the TE situation,we use one every play ( look at our right tackle).

I have to agree with these sentiments. For some strange reason, every time I see someone doubting DeLoach's coaching abilities I can look at how long they've been a member of this board and see that they weren't around during his first tenure. I realize this isn't an accurate gauge of how long someone has been a fan, but I also don't know that they realize he was hired away by UCLA. DeLoach's football mind is nearly twice the capacity of just about every other coach on our staff, and I am still happy as hell to have him coaching this defense.

Maybe that's the problem, DeLoach's def. may be better than it was under Dickey, however the Sun Belt is a much better conference that it was back then . It seems to me that this year's team is the best team we have put on the field in the last 6 years or so. The recruiting efforts seem to have centered on WR's, needs to concentrate more on both, off. and def. linemen. As for as the TE situation,we use one every play ( look at our right tackle).

No sir. The talent DeLoach had his last go-around was outstanding. Booger and Awasom on the line. Cody Spencer, Taylor Casey, and Chris Hurd at LB. Buckles and Jones at safety, Don McGee at CB.

Maybe some of the younger starters (e.g., Royce Hill) will be as good as they were before they graduate, but as a whole, they're not close.

Harry mentioned in late 2008 that the lack of recruits on the DL may be Dodge's downfall. It's the reason that DeLoach is struggling in his schemes as well, but there's only so much you can do when you are out-manned on the defensive line. It makes your secondary (which IMO is pretty good) look below average, and it makes a very good LB corp have to tackle 4-5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Less a coaching issue than personnel issue.

Example? The DE's who started against Troy are 6'1", 225, and 6'2", 242. They combined for 3 tackles and 0 TFL's or sacks. They are fast, and good athletes, but they are no match for a good OT that weighs 300+ and can move as quickly as they can.

Harry mentioned in late 2008 that the lack of recruits on the DL may be Dodge's downfall. It's the reason that DeLoach is struggling in his schemes as well, but there's only so much you can do when you are out-manned on the defensive line. It makes your secondary (which IMO is pretty good) look below average, and it makes a very good LB corp have to tackle 4-5 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Example? The DE's who started against Troy are 6'1", 225, and 6'2", 242. They combined for 3 tackles and 0 TFL's or sacks. They are fast, and good athletes, but they are no match for a good OT that weighs 300+ and can move as quickly as they can.

I agree that we have had problems (including injuiries) on the defensive line, but isn't it the coaches who decided to go with a bulked up 225 lb defensive end? If he is the problem, there are other options. Two hundred forty something defensive ends are common, but two hundred twenty something defensive ends are a rarity.

You win and lose football at the line.

It's no accident we had a ton of great all conference talent when we we won all those games.

I know everyone thinks of Booger and Awasom when they think of those years, but I would kill for a Darrell Daniels or Mike Pruitt. Those guys just got the job done.

Excellent point and very well said! Between Darrell Daniels, Adrian Awasom, Evan Cardwell and Brandon Kennedy, not a single one of them was less than 240. They were all athletic, strong and most importantly BIG! Having a speed rush small DE is fine for the right situations, but it cant be your everydown guy. I'm not saying our D-Linemen aren't talented, but size does matter on the line. Our secondary and LB corp is pretty darn good, but so are the recievers and running backs they are going against. The fight in the trenches will always be important and I think that LongJim might be on to the problem here. This Defensive Unit as whole is very talented and has proven they can get the job done. I hope they show some pride, leave it all out there and shut these Hilltoppers(gay) the hell down! This Saturday I believe they will and I cant wait to watch it at Fouts!

I have to agree with these sentiments. For some strange reason, every time I see someone doubting DeLoach's coaching abilities I can look at how long they've been a member of this board and see that they weren't around during his first tenure. I realize this isn't an accurate gauge of how long someone has been a fan, but I also don't know that they realize he was hired away by UCLA. DeLoach's football mind is nearly twice the capacity of just about every other coach on our staff, and I am still happy as hell to have him coaching this defense.

True Dat.

I was here for DeLoach's first tenure. But this isn't 2002. The last two years, his defense has been terrible here. I just remember I kept hearing the "no excuses" two years ago, but since DeLoach was hired, there's been nothing but excuses.

We're not "pretty bad." We're abysmal on defense - 111th in total defense. 117th scoring defense.

Now, that's up from last year, when we were DEAD LAST in both categories. Of course, we only had one true body bag game this year, unless it's time to start counting Troy.

Or maybe some on here have "good old days" syndrome?

Deloach's last two defenses have been worse than "high school" Mendoza's one defensive unit of 2007. No one accepted excuses for Mendoza (rightly so) and there should be no excuses for Deloach. The most troubling aspect is the apparent regression of the defense since the start of the season.

I don't know the answer. I just know we have had terrible defense for the last 3 years, and it doesn't appear to be getting better.

The entire staff goes when Teflon Todd is axed. I don't think anyone assumes any of this staff remains in any scenario involving Dodge leaving. Take care of the problem at the source. Dodge is the HC and deserves all the blame with all parts of this program (and all the credit if it were in a positive state).

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1