Fire Dodge Now Rick!

meangreenbob

Because he's a fan, just not a stupid fan.

Dodge's hasn't given us anything to support.

I didn't approve of firing Dickey, so I with held support until I saw what Dodge could do. I haven't started giving again, and I won't until Dodge is gone.

To say you haven't started giving again would imply you gave in the first place. I think we know that is a bit of a stretch, depending on what your definition of "giving" is.

To say you haven't started giving again would imply you gave in the first place. I think we know that is a bit of a stretch, depending on what your definition of "giving" is.

To question anyone's level of monetary support to the program is uncalled for.

I, like many that post here, have given what we could in the past...quietly and in accordance with what we can afford. Most of us don't make a big deal out of it and there will always be people who give more. Regardless, your comments are uncalled for and I think you owe shaft an apology.

Like shaft, I also no longer give to the program. More than anything, it's the fact that I have found better uses for my money, such as travel. I feel this program is dead and I have little to no emotional connection to it anymore. Neither do many of us who have supported this program for years. Why should we continue to give to something that isn't getting better?

Edited by JayDub

Sorry to read this post. This one is especially hard to read as I realize how heartfelt it is and where it is coming from. The saddest part to me is the fact that, once again, support for one's university is tied to the football team's won-loss record. I get kidded about my loyalty to UNT all the time by my friends who graduated elsewhere. I get the emails and calls after each and every loss, so what? UNT is not the football team and I am personally not defined by the college teams I support. Heck, there have been some years when all three colleges I graduated from were taking it in the shorts every week. You think that was fun to take? No, but these things change and it is part of the fun of being a college sports fan, and a UNT fan in particular. I would encourage folks to get a bit of perspective on this whole thing. You are not defined by the won-loss record of the school you attended or graduated from. "Emotional investment" is self-made...you can make it positive or negative...yes, you really can. Anyway, I ask you to keep the faith in your university. It is much grander than just it's football program.

GO MEAN GREEN. I encourage all who feels as illuvius32 does to watch the UNT Traditions video posted on another thread here on GMG.com. Might help your emotional side get a big uplift.

Kram, it's simply the nature of this country these days and for people to quit when times get difficult. And you know that. A lot of people never experienced the times when they were bad, then good. They don't know what it's like to be the only people in the stands at home, or the only people in the stands on a road trip representing a 2 or 3 win team only to see it turn around years later. I'll never forget how it felt after the win over Cincy in New Orleans in '02, being that it came only 24 months removed from a 3-8 team, who followed that debacle up with an 0-5 start the next year? That's what I'm talking about. I'm not completely sure, but can you only imagine how few fans we would have today if all it took was 3 bad years for them to quit?

Rick

I, like many that post here, have given what we could in the past...quietly and in accordance with what we can afford. Most of us don't make a big deal out of it and there will always be people who give more. Regardless, your comments are uncalled for and I think you owe shaft an apology.

Like shaft, I also no longer give to the program. More than anything, it's the fact that I have found better uses for my money, such as travel. I feel this program is dead and I have little to no emotional connection to it anymore. Neither do many of us who have supported this program for years. Why should we continue to give to something that isn't getting better?

No, you couldn't be more wrong. Those who give to this program have more of a say than those who admit here that they don't. He owe's shaft aboslutely nothing.

Rick

No, you couldn't be more wrong. Those who give to this program have more of a say than those who admit here that they don't. He owe's shaft aboslutely nothing.

Rick

I am sorry rick but I must disagree. Those of us that cannot give to the program have just as much a say as those that do give monatary support. The University of North texas is all of ours and that is the only thing that should entitle us to an opinion. The only exception to that is if you are a mega doner like T. Boone Pickens, and god knows we dont have one of those.

OK, I actually never said if or what I donated, so not sure where your comment about not caring how much I give came from. The point is, if you don't give anything and you continue to make derogatory comments and tear at the program, how are you actually helping the program? You come to some games? Thats nice, but doesn't offset the negativity you create around the program. So yeah, you can have an opinion and express them on this board. But don't fool yourself into thinking you are doing something at all good for MY program. And it damn sure doesn't give you the right to tell me how I accept being average because I support MY program rather than tear it down. I express my opinions, but I do it in a way that someone that needs to know it hears it and it doesn't hurt the program.

I beg to differ. I paraphrase, but I believe you said something like the problem with the posters on this board is that they feel being competitive/average in the sunbelt is good enough. Sounds like you are saying I have a problem in how I support the team (the kind of fan I am).

Now see, there you go again. You say you aren't saying we are bad fans, but you feel the need to point out what is wrong with me as a fan and many of the fans on the board. And your evidence of MY "satisfaction" with the coach is what? You evidence of MY being "satisfied" with being competitive with half the sunbelt is what? Is it that I support the program in positive ways? Is it that if I don't like something I go talk to the AD or someone in the program about it (as anyone on this board could) rather than be a coward about it?

Again, where did I say I was satisfied with the performance of the coach, the team, or the program?

Now see, here you got it right. Can't, or doesn't? You can't afford to give $5?

The point isn't whether you give money or not. There are 2 points here. 1) You make demands that the team should immediately be a Cadillac like you are entitled to it, but the funding for this program is a Pinto. So yes, I am saying you (in general, not you personally) should take into consideration how much you (in general, not you personally) fund this program when posting comments on this board or anywhere else on the internet that can be picked up by alumni, fans, prospective athletes, etc. Why don't you head down to Park Place Lexus and throw down some GMC kind of money. When that doesn't work, tell them you don't except mediocrity and that you have always been a big Lexus fan, therefore you deserve it.

2) Since you can't quite pickup on this, let me connect the dots for you. A program like ours that is trying to claw its way up doesn't need the negativity, it needs people doing positive things to help, not negative things. If you (in general) fund this thing with 100 million dollars, you deserve to gripe all you want and it won't hurt the program cause it has lots of money (see the Texas's, Alabama's etc that everyone likes to reference in defending their right to hurt our program). Any a**clown can throw out shots at a program like ours and tell everyone they don't accept average and therfore they are a better fan, but it does no good for anyone except the a**clown saying it. So yes, I say put up or shut up. That might be money or it might be some other POSITIVE you can contribute that exceeds your negativity.

If you have an opinion, go meet with the athletic department and express it. If they won't talk to you, let me know and maybe I will have to eat my words on that. Until then, you don't become a big time program by tearing it down with piss ant comments on the internet. You fund it and support it. When it becomes big time, then you can go on back to being a piss ant complainer and it won't hurt it.

I am not satisfied at all with where are (coaching, program, team, etc). But I choose to be part of the solution rather than create more problems.

I am getting tired head reading your post...........

ATTENTION ALL GMG.COM POSTERS!!!!!!!!!

As all of us already know, this program is big time and we are not looking for any more fans. In paticular, we do not need any more student support because we have such a consistent and strong following from that group already. Thus, I propose that we try and run off every student that critisizes the program, especially if they do not give money to the AD. Sure, I know they only have like 20 bucks to thier name but dammit they should give at least ten of it to the AD. If they don't fork it over their opinions mean nothing and lets run their butts outta here!

There is no point in arguing with you anymore. You acuse everyone else of being poor fans for being critical of the FB program. Again, we are critical because we actually care about the university not because we want to see the program crumble.

I am no longer going to waste my time on such an a lost cause.

P.S. Your a bad fan

Edited by LAZER

I am sorry rick but I must disagree. Those of us that cannot give to the program have just as much a say as those that do give monatary support. The University of North texas is all of ours and that is the only thing that should entitle us to an opinion. The only exception to that is if you are a mega doner like T. Boone Pickens, and god knows we dont have one of those.

Uhh, we're posting on an Internet message board. Nothing we say here counts as "say" in the A.D.

Then we will simply agree to disagree. You can complain all you want. That's your right. But when it comes to "Demanding" a coaching change, your voice is very limited. If you can't support the program because you can't afford to the level you want, that's one thing. But that's not at all what is being discussed above. Above we have people who CAN afford to support this program but refuse to do so because they don't like the current situation, then come here and complain and attack those who do. And now it's even gone beyond that. We have one guy who admits he quit a while back on this program and is going to continue to sit back and wait until changes come at others expense, and when he's called to the carpet about it he attacks and punishes two of the very people he's expecting to finance the very changes that he's demanding for in the first place.

I mean it's insane. We need a win in a bad way.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

F- it...it's not worth the argument and "board vacation" for calling it like it is.

I'll say it for you, Jaydub.

The people who were here before the Dickey - New Orleans Bow teams, who have seen more B.S., have a sense of entitlement. That is fine. But, when the team needs fans the most...guys like FireFightnRick go into "bunker mode"; kinda like the Corleone family after Michael killed Sollozzo and McClusky. These guys who ain't made guys who can afford to give (or can't trick their wives into putting every spare dime they have into this struggling little program)...they deserve a seat at the table, too.

I haven't been around the program in a long while, always watching from a distance (further than even you, Jaydub), but I've always heard how guys like this Rick fella and, apparently, this Mick guy start ripping on the guys who they deem unworthy of their "Super Fan" status. Long story short, they have to justify the ridiculous amount of time, money, and effort they put into supporting a team that finds ways to suck more and more...year after motherf'n year. They have to justify their pathetic little existence.

To those "Super Fans" who want to call out the newer fans over some sort of chest thumping, measurement of your manhood...va fa napole!

Me? I'm just pissed that my godson Gio was pushed out in favor of this injury prone, girly-man named "Riley".

Edited by Guido

I'll say it for you, Jaydub.

The people who were here before the Dickey - New Orleans Bow teams, who have seen more B.S., have a sense of entitlement. That is fine. But, when the team needs fans the most...guys like FireFightnRick go into "bunker mode"; kinda like the Corleone family after Michael killed Sollozzo and McClusky. These guys who ain't made guys who can afford to give (or can't trick their wives into putting every spare dime they have into this struggling little program)...they deserve a seat at the table, too.

I haven't been around the program in a long while, always watching from a distance (further than even you, Jaydub), but I've always heard how guys like this Rick fella and, apparently, this Mick guy start ripping on the guys who they deem unworthy of their "Super Fan" status. Long story short, they have to justify the ridiculous amount of time, money, and effort they put into supporting a team that finds ways to suck more and more...year after motherf'n year. They have to justify their pathetic little existence.

To those "Super Fans" who want to call out the newer fans over some sort of chest thumping, measurement of your manhood...va fa napole!

Me? I'm just pissed that my godson Gio was pushed out in favor of this injury prone, girly-man named "Riley".

Agreed. The "bunker" fans push the new fans out. There's a reason I quit tailgating with the vast majority of the people who post on this board. I figured out that, in real life, I pretty much couldn't stand them...just like their online personas. Being over-the-top, the inability to speak in anything but generalizations, and the lack of "concept of reality" wear you thin pretty quickly.

And, ummm, it's JayDub. It's all about the capitalization.

Agreed. The "bunker" fans push the new fans out. There's a reason I quit tailgating with the vast majority of the people who post on this board. I figured out that, in real life, I pretty much couldn't stand them...just like their online personas. Being over-the-top, the inability to speak in anything but generalizations, and the lack of "concept of reality" wear you thin pretty quickly.

And, ummm, it's JayDub. It's all about the capitalization.

LOL!, and all this time I thought it was because you moved to Utah, JayDub?

Rick

It's been a damn fine and convenient excuse. Just not the entire reason.

Don't lie. That no caffeine, no alcohol peer pressure is very strong. There's no shame in being susceptible to that sexy Mormon influence.

How's your 13 year old niecewife? Any big announcements on the way?

Don't lie. That no caffeine, no alcohol peer pressure is very strong. There's no shame in being susceptible to that sexy Mormon influence.

How's your 13 year old niecewife? Any big announcements on the way?

She's doing quite well. We're waiting a few years, ya know...to make sure the Holy Spirit is moving on this. I'm still awaiting my testimony.

2007171346211197920781.jpg

Religion is awesome!

Edited by JayDub

She's doing quite well. We're waiting a few years, ya know...to make sure the Holy Spirit is moving on this. I'm still awaiting my testimony.

2007171346211197920781.jpg

Religion is awesome!

Good to hear.

Now that I've settled things down by asking about your family... Maybe we should talk about anger management skills.

This is a useful philosophy for all of you, so listen up. If more people would avoid conflict and turn to passive-aggressive behavior, this would be a more harmonious place and we'd all be a lot more calm and polite when we're calling each other lousy fans/people.

I don't always agree with everyone, but when someone says something that gets me particularly steamed, I try to avoid causing trouble and picking fights here on the board. I look for a healthy outlet for those negative feelings that doesn't cause strife here in GoMeanGreenland.

I like Rick, but sometimes he can make me downright frustrated. So, do I call him names or disparage his fandom? NO!

I go adopt a pit bull, starve it for a few days, and turn it loose on a playground or a public park. Or, if it's drought season, I throw lit cigarettes out my car window when I'm on the highway.

It gets my angry feelings out, without causing drama on the board or jeopardizing our long-term friendship. Everyone wins!

If I'm mad at SUMG, I go to an open mic night and throw tomatoes at the first comic that takes the stage.

If I'm mad at LAZER, I go to the circus and kick a clown in the ass, literally.

If I'm mad at Green Nightmare, I steal silverware and paper towels from the Pourhouse.

The trick is to find a way to blow off steam in a healthy, constructive way.

Sleep on it. Tomorrow, when you wake up... Knock the caps off some fire hydrants. You'll feel a lot better, and you guys can be friends again!

You might want to refrain from stating allegiances, it tends to discredit people when they do. Shaft = Dickey, Pen Yen = June Jones, etc

Now that I've settled things down by asking about your family... Maybe we should talk about anger management skills.

Hey at least we're not arguing about politics. :argue::blowup::clapping:

I am not questioning "anyone's" level of monetary support. I am just calling out shaft's comment that he "quit giving", becuase he knows he never has given. If he had said, I can't afford it or I choose to never have given, I wouldn't have said a word.

Give or don't, that's your choice or maybe a situational thing for you.

OK, lets discontinue this discussion. However, I want to set the record straight:

- I want students to support the program. I think we are better served in our situation with less public negativity, but that is certainly your right as a fan

- I don't measure your "fandom" based on donations. My point is donations are critical for our program

- I don't recall calling you a "bad fan" for not donating, if I did my apologies

I am getting tired head reading your post...........

ATTENTION ALL GMG.COM POSTERS!!!!!!!!!

As all of us already know, this program is big time and we are not looking for any more fans. In paticular, we do not need any more student support because we have such a consistent and strong following from that group already. Thus, I propose that we try and run off every student that critisizes the program, especially if they do not give money to the AD. Sure, I know they only have like 20 bucks to thier name but dammit they should give at least ten of it to the AD. If they don't fork it over their opinions mean nothing and lets run their butts outta here!

There is no point in arguing with you anymore. You acuse everyone else of being poor fans for being critical of the FB program. Again, we are critical because we actually care about the university not because we want to see the program crumble.

I am no longer going to waste my time on such an a lost cause.

P.S. Your a bad fan

You might want to refrain from stating allegiances, it tends to discredit people when they do. Shaft = Dickey, Pen Yen = June Jones, etc

Hey at least we're not arguing about politics. :argue::blowup::clapping:

You and Pen have my vote for most unlikely and needless rivalry on the board (unless Charlie and Kram ever decide to duke it out with pistols at dawn).