Response To Drc Article

This post from RV had 808 words in it.

A very good, accurate typist can usually average about 80 words per minute.

That means that the mere act of typing this missive almost certainly took more than 10 minutes.

My biggest takeaway from the DRC article is that Al Goldfield specifically asked to be called once a month or whenever there was news/need. Once a month, at his specific request. And he was directly quoted as saying that he hadn't been contacted for four months.

If someone took two minutes on the first day of each month to call Goldfield and tell him that we were having our campaign kickoff, or that final blueprints were in the works, or a new design was in place, or that our fee had been approved by the legislature, or that the bill had been signed by the governor... ANY of the things that have happened in the past four months... I'd be a lot more comfortable with the fact that our single biggest donor ever just decided to take a passive role in the largest Athletics Department undertaking in the history of our University.

Two minutes per month, just to drop one or two little factoids about the baby steps forward that this project has taken in the meantime.

Just the time it took to type the original post in this thread would have been enough to handle that task, with two extra minutes left over to pour a cup of coffee.

AMEN

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This post from RV had 808 words in it.

A very good, accurate typist can usually average about 80 words per minute.

That means that the mere act of typing this missive almost certainly took more than 10 minutes.

My biggest takeaway from the DRC article is that Al Goldfield specifically asked to be called once a month or whenever there was news/need. Once a month, at his specific request. And he was directly quoted as saying that he hadn't been contacted for four months.

If someone took two minutes on the first day of each month to call Goldfield and tell him that we were having our campaign kickoff, or that final blueprints were in the works, or a new design was in place, or that our fee had been approved by the legislature, or that the bill had been signed by the governor... ANY of the things that have happened in the past four months... I'd be a lot more comfortable with the fact that our single biggest donor ever just decided to take a passive role in the largest Athletics Department undertaking in the history of our University.

Two minutes per month, just to drop one or two little factoids about the baby steps forward that this project has taken in the meantime.

Just the time it took to type the original post in this thread would have been enough to handle that task, with two extra minutes left over to pour a cup of coffee.

Ding, Ding Ding!!!

I read Glad to be Green's post three times and was expecting an explaination on why a man who donated the largest amount the athletic department has ever seen from one donor hasn't received a call from the athletic director in four months. Now that's what I call customer service. It's stuff like this that makes me want to say F it on supporting the University Athletic Department. This type of incompentence is why North Texas will NEVER, EVER be a big time player in Major College Athletics.

One question I would like an answer to- The latest rendition of the stadium is that final rendering of it or is it going to change yet again. I would hope that it does a little.

I second this. Can we please go back to the rendition before the last rendition?

I think it's amazing a) that it only took a few responses before this thread was completely hi-jacked and the topic quickly became what the jerseys should say and B) how in typical GMG fashion everyone starts arguing about stupid stuff.

I wonder what Eppy4life would have to say about this...

No one knows what goes on behind the scenes. There may be legitimate reasons why contact was not made that can't be discussed publicly.

That said, a stadium has all but been promised for Fall, 2011. Failure to get the new stadium done for the home opener in 2011 would be a massive failure that would violate the trust of many alums.

I hope this is understood by the Athletic Department.

NT80, not all university projects take time and red tape. I think Lamar Univ approved their student fee less than a year ago and now they are starting their $26 million+ stadium improvements and expansion. New athletic center, new field turf, scoreboard, and newer seating. Plus new soccer fields. Granted, a completely new stadium is much more of an undertaking for UNT.

We can keep up with their progress through their WEBCAM.

I'm just saying........

The student fee bill wasn't law until June. The sale of bonds takes time and now is not a real good time to even be shopping them. As RV mentioned the engineering plans have been in the works and are about to be turned into construction drawings...again time. It's all a process. If we had cash in hand then we could start tomorrow....IF.....if plans were finished and the construction crews hired and the materials ordered and delivered; well you get the idea.

No one knows what goes on behind the scenes. There may be legitimate reasons why contact was not made that can't be discussed publicly.

That said, a stadium has all but been promised for Fall, 2011. Failure to get the new stadium done for the home opener in 2011 would be a massive failure that would violate the trust of many alums.

I hope this is understood by the Athletic Department.

There is NO REASON, I repeat NO REASON that Dr. B should allow RV to keep his job if the stadium does not break ground by March 2010. Hell, I'm not sure she should wait that long to can the Pizza Man's Ass.

It is a shame that the Firefighter RV had to take 10 minutes plus 8 words to put out another fire started by the DRC and flamed by this board....fires that had been handled and put out months ago. Clearly FFRV spends his days conspiring how to destroy this University.

I am comforted that all on this board want the same thing (to make our University great, allegedly) but just have different ideas on how to accomplish it.

So, GMG

It is a shame that the Firefighter RV had to take 10 minutes plus 8 words to put out another fire started by the DRC and flamed by this board....fires that had been handled and put out months ago. Clearly FFRV spends his days conspiring how to destroy this University.

I am comforted that all on this board want the same thing (to make our University great, allegedly) but just have different ideas on how to accomplish it.

So, GMG

Go further. It's a shame that he posted here at all.

So, GMG

It is a shame that in the midst of trying to raise money for a new stadium, that he has time or even cares to go spend time on a message board.

It is a shame that in the midst of trying to raise money for a new stadium, that he has time or even cares to go spend time on a message board.

Methinks that RV would be equally criticized for not making some sort of comment about the story. This is a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" type scenario.

Methinks that RV would be equally criticized for not making some sort of comment about the story. This is a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" type scenario.

Well maybe so, but in all the years of posting and perusing on two of the largest message boards for the Hogs, we never had Frank Broyles posting. Doubt DeLoss Dodds is posting on Orange Bloods too.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

If he would of took the same time to keep in contact with Mr Goldfield I doubt there would of been a story at all. We all want updates I don't think a message board is where we want to see them , but they are very much appreciated on here.

If the Ath Dept has something to share then send out letter or emails to MGC members ( haven't received squat) and fans. Get a story or even a blurb about any type of updates/happening in the DRC ( Vito does not hate UNT , he is only there to report the news ) or even post something on meangreensports.com.

If this was truly a non-story then RV wouldn't of felt the need to even offer a response.

I truly hopes RV makes some kind of statement at PoHouse tonight at the the mixer. I'm going to try like hell to make it.

Edited by NT03

If RV wants to write a response on here.... why the hell not?! I don't care what other AD's do. If the other AD's don't want to use a message board for communication that is there perogative too. He is just trying to keep up a positive relationship (or spin) with the fans that care most about the program. Why do you fault him for that? God, some of you can be difficult and picky.

Get a story or even a blurb about any type of updates/happening in the DRC ( Vito does not hate UNT , he is only there to report the news ) or even post something on meangreensports.com.

If this was truly a non-story then RV wouldn't of felt the need to even offer a response.

I truly hopes RV makes some kind of statement at PoHouse tonight at the the mixer. I'm going to try like hell to make it.

I appreciate RV candidness on GMG as there are always two sides to a story. If I were in his shoes I'd be addressing my response to the DMN or DRC directly. Three quarters of the stadium initiative relies on positive PR/Marketing, and in the last month there has been virtually no media representing anything uplifting. Every time I read about this athletics initiative I get a lump in my throat and think - Arts of Collin County where they had huge initial investment from Plano, Frisco & Allen ($57 million in public bond money -equate that to the student fee), loss of it's leadership, questions on whether it will ever come to fruition (delays, delays, delays)....but the positive is they hired a private firm to raise money (Communities Foundation of TX), replaced the director that stepped down with what appears to be a capable person...and it appears that donations seem to be flowing again (they have to acquire 17 million in public funds to break ground). In a relatively short period of time the ACC changed their image from a project dead in its tracks to one that at least appears to have forward momentum again.

Edited by UNTDude

Well maybe so, but in all the years of posting and perusing on two of the largest message boards for the Hogs, we never had Frank Broyles posting. Doubt DeLoss Dodds is posting on Orange Bloods too.

Well, if you were a "big money booster" you could subscribe to the $1500 insider newsletter and know everything the head coach knows about the program! Wait - wrong university.

So, GMG

It's a fire that was kindled by the resignation of Clinksdale for "family reasons" (always suspicious, even though it may be completely true) and fed by the comments of our biggest monetary supporter. This board did nothing but express concern. The two things happening so close together is one huge coincidence, or is it? Where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Potential donors will ask the same questions before letting go of their money. I accept RV's explanation, but I expect a stadium in 2011.

I had hoped to be able to attend the Pourhouse function tonight, but found out I can't get off work early enough to make the 2-hour drive. If someone is so inclined and willing to help out those of us who aren't in the area, would you please take your computer and give us a "question by question" account of the discussion by RV if he attends. It would be much appreciated!