U N T To The W A C Thread On The Tech Board

After reading the LaTech board, is it just me or are they a bunch of douchebags?

I mean, I don't get it.

Their academic and athletic profile doesn't make them appear to be any better than a Sunbelt or Southland school. However, reading their posts, you would think that they are UT or SMU simply because of their smugness.

After reading the LaTech board, is it just me or are they a bunch of douchebags?

I mean, I don't get it.

Their academic and athletic profile doesn't make them appear to be any better than a Sunbelt or Southland school. However, reading their posts, you would think that they are UT or SMU simply because of their smugness.

smug2.JPG

I mean, I don't get it.

They must think they're in the Georgia Tech/Texas Tech upper echelon of college sports, when in reality they're just above Tennessee Tech. But their women's basketball team has had success; that must be what they're so macho about.

I mean, I don't get it.

Not all but they have more than their share. I have not looked at their message board much since NT and La Tech were up for a CUSA bid till now, believe it or not they seem a little more reasonable than they were. However, what really is ridiculous as their continued reference to NT as an inferior academic school. What are they smoking, there is not one factor I can come up with that they would excel. As far as facilities, unless they have made vast improvements over the last two years; they are behind almost any fb division college I've seen. I expect they have improved their football stadium since NT played there, but at that time I don't think it was even a step up from Fouts. Yes, the sight lines were better than Fouts but the place looked like it was very poorly maintained and whole sections of the stadium were roped off and their restrooms couldn't compare.

I used to be critical of this policy as well until I starrted working in the education sector. UNT has to abide by certain regulations (just as UT and A&M do). The fact is, we have a lot more freshmen and sophomores due to a drop off rate. There are equity issues and there are Title IV requirements (financial aid)... I believe that UT's policy is 2.5 as well, but they do not guarantee admittance. With a 3.0, they will guarantee admittance but only if the student is transferring in from one of their satellite campuses (UT-San Antonio, UT-Arlington, etc..) Also, the level should be a 3, which is a "Junior" in the eyes of the US Government when it comes to education funding even though the credits are not past 60 yet, just 47.

Oh, and I wanted to add - what North Texas has done is up the GPA for many of their colleges. For instance, the College of Education will not allow you in until you have and maintain a 2.75. I believe that the college of Business is the same. Music - same. Art - same. So what those students can do is come in and take a few general ed classes but not be accepted to a College yet... So they are kind of in limbo and there is an incentive there to get the GPA up rather quickly or they are simply taking classes for the sake of bringing up their GPA without hitting their classes for their desired major. That can get time consuming and expensive!

La Tech requirements are 2.5 gpa or top 25% or ACT 23 or SAT 1050 for freshmen. UNT's requirements are guaranteed admission under state guidelines for top 10% of class; next 15%, 950 SAT or 20 ACT; second quarter of class, 1050 SAT or 23 ACT and third quarter requires 1180 SAT and 26 ACT. Nether are partically challenging but obviously NT is more restrictive. Average national scores for SAT in 2008 was 1017 and for ACT between 20 and 21.

But both requirements are down right stellar when compared to a couple of our conference mates. Troy requires test scores if gpa is over 2.5, 16 ACT or 780 SAT. If gpa is lower than 2.5 requires ACT 19 or 910 SAT. WKU requires a 2.5 gpa or 20 ACT or 930 SAT, but if you can't pass those requirements; they have Bowling Green Community College that is actually a part of WKU that has an open enrollment policy.

For comparison UTSA requirements are: top 25%, guaranteed admission; 2nd Quarter, 920 SAT or 19 ACT; Third Quarter, 970 SAT or 20 ACT; Fourth Quarter, 1020 SAT or 21 ACT. Texas State has no stated admission standards only require transcripts and class rankings. UTA is close to NTs with top 10% graranteed admission; Second Quarter, 1050 SAT or 22 ACT; Third Quarter, 1150 SAT or 25 ACT.

The two schools that I think NT should keep pace with are the University of Houston and Texas Tech. NT compares with UH which has no minimum test scores for top 20% and others in top 50% 1000 SAT or 21 ACT. But Texas Tech has recently upped their stated requirements and NT is falling way behind. Tech under state mandate has no minimum for top 10%. Rest of the top quarter require SAT 1140 or ACT 25, second quarter SAT 28 or ACT 1230, lower half SAT 1270 or 29 ACT.

Edited by GrandGreen

La Tech requirements are 2.5 gpa or top 25% or ACT 23 or SAT 1050 for freshmen. UNT's requirements are guaranteed admission under state guidelines for top 10% of class; next 15%, 950 SAT or 20 ACT; second quarter of class, 1050 SAT or 23 ACT and third quarter requires 1180 SAT and 26 ACT. Nether are partically challenging but obviously NT is more restrictive. Average national scores for SAT in 2008 was 1017 and for ACT between 20 and 21.

But both requirements are down right stellar when compared to a couple of our conference mates. Troy requires test scores if gpa is over 2.5, 16 ACT or 780 SAT. If gpa is lower than 2.5 requires ACT 19 or 910 SAT. WKU requires a 2.5 gpa or 20 ACT or 930 SAT, but if you can't pass those requirements; they have Bowling Green Community College that is actually a part of WKU that has an open enrollment policy.

For comparison UTSA requirements are: top 25%, guaranteed admission; 2nd Quarter, 920 SAT or 19 ACT; Third Quarter, 970 SAT or 20 ACT; Fourth Quarter, 1020 SAT or 21 ACT. Texas State has no stated admission standards only require transcripts and class rankings. UTA is close to NTs with top 10% graranteed admission; Second Quarter, 1050 SAT or 22 ACT; Third Quarter, 1150 SAT or 25 ACT.

The two schools that I think NT should keep pace with are the University of Houston and Texas Tech. NT compares with UH which has no minimum test scores for top 20% and others in top 50% 1000 SAT or 21 ACT. But Texas Tech has recently upped their stated requirements and NT is falling way behind. Tech under state mandate has no minimum for top 10%. Rest of the top quarter require SAT 1140 or ACT 25, second quarter SAT 28 or ACT 1230, lower half SAT 1270 or 29 ACT.

I think people here put too much emphasis on the SAT score minimum for guaranteed admissions. If you actually look closer, LA Tech has lower "middle 50% scores" than UNT, UTSA and Texas State. "Middle 50% scores" are the best indicators of the typical freshman admit to universities (that is, if SAT scores are your sole criterion for judging the quality of a student).

Edited by nana21

Here's a few thoughts for any Louisiana Tech fans that may be perusing this thread.

The WAC not admitting UNT, ASU, and ULL together is the only thing that saved ULM from being permanently knocked down to Division 1AA.

Tech would have been the closest conference road game for fans of UNT, ASU, and ULL and could have easily developed a rivalry with each school. Games become 'events' when large groups of vising fans are present.

The Sun Belt Football Conference would have ceased to exist. Troy, FAU and FIU would likely have been unable to make a sustained jump to 1-A football, Western Kentucky and South Alabama never would have even tried.

The WAC would have had the New Orleans Bowl starting with the 2005 season. An annual Independence Bowl berth could possibly have been contracted for the conference.

Oh well. In spite of being in the bottom of the lowly Sun Belt the last 4 years, North Texas attendance has continued to increase, booster club membership is way up, new facilities have been built for most sports, the athletic budget has continued to increase as revenue has risen, there soon will be a brand new state-of-the-art football stadium, the students created a new athletics fee which will contribute an additional 7.5 million per year to athletics, John Q. Hammons Hotels and the City of Denton are planning a Hotel and Convention Center that will be built on athletics property and will provide additional revenue to the Athletic Department, and if this all wasn't enough, Chesapeake is set to drill just south of the former golf course which together with the rest of the athletic village sits atop the Barnett Shale.

The football team has been horrible the last four seasons, but for an athletic program that doesn't receive a penny from state funds, the future looks pretty good.

Separation. Louisiana Tech fans have always wanted separation from the ULMs, ULLs, ASUs, and UNTs of the world. They've got their seperation in the form NMSU being their closest rival, 1,000 miles away. Great roadie for Tech fans. But............

I'll give Tech credit - they have stayed the course with the WAC, hired what seems to be a fine coach in Dooley (if they can keep him), working on the facilities, and all with a limited budget. They are preparing, waiting for the chance to join CUSA in the future, should an invite ever come.

Edited by DeepGreen

Not quite true.

Since we raised our standards the last time the number of applicants has increased. Many thought it would hurt enrollment, when in fact it helped. I anticipate a similar effect this time. The higher your standards, the more desirable you are to the higher acheivers.

That may be true if your standards are too low but once you find an equilibrium then it won't have a significant impact. By that logic, every university in the country that wanted to improve the "quality" of its student body would just raise the admissions standards every year and eventually become the next UT or even Harvard.

Edited by nana21

That may be true if your standards are too low but once you find an equilibrium then it won't have a significant impact. By that logic, every university in the country that wanted to improve the "quality" of its student body would just raise the admissions standards every year and eventually become the next UT or even Harvard.

I agree that you have to find the right balance. Since the University operates like a business, it needs students as customers to continue playing tuition and fees to survive. If you raise your standards you run the risk of not being able to accept enough quality applicants. However, if you lower them too much, you run the risk of accepting too many 'at-risk' students that could lower your retention rates.

Oh well. In spite of being in the bottom of the lowly Sun Belt the last 4 years, North Texas attendance has continued to increase, booster club membership is way up, new facilities have been built for most sports, the athletic budget has continued to increase as revenue has risen, there soon will be a brand new state-of-the-art football stadium, the students created a new athletics fee which will contribute an additional 7.5 million per year to athletics, John Q. Hammons Hotels and the City of Denton are planning a Hotel and Convention Center that will be built on athletics property and will provide additional revenue to the Athletic Department, and if this all wasn't enough, Chesapeake is set to drill just south of the former golf course which together with the rest of the athletic village sits atop the Barnett Shale.

The football team has been horrible the last four seasons, but for an athletic program that doesn't receive a penny from state funds, the future looks pretty good.

Sure doesn't look like the "dying on the vine"! That's what that HogDawg LaTech douche says is happening to UNT Athletics.

Edited by Baby Arm!

I'll give Tech credit - they have stayed the course with the WAC, hired what seems to be a fine coach in Dooley (if they can keep him), working on the facilities, and all with a limited budget. They are preparing, waiting for the chance to join CUSA in the future, should an invite ever come.

Of course the exact same things can be said about North Texas. Switch out WAC for SBC, with the only real argument/difference being the quality of the head football coach (we all know how polarizing that topic is these days), and that statement is almost identical and just as true.

I just keep wondering if the WAC is so wonderful for La Tech, why do their fans want to leave for CUSA?

I'm sure it's to do with more regional games that they could travel to. C-USA and WAC aren't that different in strength so the closer proximity would be the motivating factor I'm sure. That and the fact the WAC is going to re-align so they don't want to be left in the mix after it becomes watered down.

I'm sure it's to do with more regional games that they could travel to. C-USA and WAC aren't that different in strength so the closer proximity would be the motivating factor I'm sure. That and the fact the WAC is going to re-align so they don't want to be left in the mix after it becomes watered down.

Then why do they insist it would be a good fit for us?

By that logic, every university in the country that wanted to improve the "quality" of its student body would just raise the admissions standards every year and eventually become the next UT or even Harvard.

I just couldn't let this pass. I understand using Harvard as your standard but to put UT and Harvard in the same stratosphere, much less sentence , when talking about what universities should strive to be is...well, silly.

The Boise fans have picked up on this discussion: Boise Blog

Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of being the laughing stock of the whole country in FB? You can't tell me that in any remotely similar situation that some kid would brave the winters of Boise rather than staying in Texas, but it's happening because absolutely no one has any respect at all for UNT. I truly hope that Riley can instill some pride in this team. I have not seen that spark and confidence since the days of Scott Hall. Give me someone with desire and fire in his gut and I'll take on your pampered blue chippers any day. It just seems we no longer get those recruits who have that pride and desire.

3,772 miles to Honolulu, HI

1,977 miles to Moscow, ID

1,653 miles to San Jose, CA

1,644 miles to Boise, ID

1,629 miles to Reno, NV

1,521 miles to Fresno, CA

1,405 miles to Logan, UT

683 miles to Las Cruces, NM

289 miles to Ruston, LA

I've always wanted to go to Moscow.........oh.....what......it's a different Moscow.........nevermind then.