The Quad Countdown: No. 116 North Texas

mgsteve

The Quad

"Tidbit (mascot edition): In 2003, the North Texas Student Government Association nearly passed a referendum (gaining roughly 45 percent of the vote) to name the albino squirrel the school’s “secondary mascot.” Not only did the vote fail, the school’s resident albino squirrel, named Baby, was murdered by a red-tail hawk three years later. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Countdown believes there’s blood on the S.G.A.’s hands."

Dear Quad Sports writer,

You do not have to put an article in front of the class of every player: i.e. "the sophomore B.J. Lewis...", "the senior Tobe Nwigwe...". While it is perfectly acceptable, it becomes cumbersome when used exclusivly.

I think they did a nice job of highlighting our potential strengths - offensive line, defensive secondary, offensive backfield...and question areas - quarterback, wide reciever, defensive front seven.

Anyone who has a problem with this reanking clearly hasn't been paying attention...its about 3 spots higher than I thought we'd end up.

Dear Quad Sports writer,

You do not have to put an article in front of the class of every player: i.e. "the sophomore B.J. Lewis...", "the senior Tobe Nwigwe...". While it is perfectly acceptable, it becomes cumbersome when used exclusivly.

I think they did a nice job of highlighting our potential strengths - offensive line, defensive secondary, offensive backfield...and question areas - quarterback, wide reciever, defensive front seven.

Anyone who has a problem with this reanking clearly hasn't been paying attention...its about 3 spots higher than I thought we'd end up.

I can't imagine anyone disagrees with this ranking, but that doesn't mean I don't have a problem with it. Well done assessment. It's now up to the coaches and players to prove everyone wrong, and I hope they do.

The Mean Green returned only 10 punts all season, compared to 44 for the opposition.

Wow, that's a telling stat. At first, I incorrectly assumed that the number included any punts our opposition had for touchbacks, fair catches or out of bounds. That just didn't seem accurate to me so I looked it up. And, after checking the stats on meangreensports, I see that our opponents actually punted 46 times. So that means we had 36 punts that we couldn't return. Now, either we were playing against some really good punters or we absolutely failed to get any pressure on the punter last season. My guess is that it is a combination of the two (with more emphasis on the latter), coupled with the opponents close proximity to our goal line (which resulted in more touchbacks). The stats don't break down how many punts were fair caught, touchbacks etc. and my memory isn't good enough to remember. But, if we needed any further evidence to show that our special teams weren't that special, this and the 4.6 yard punt return average certainly do it.

We need to find a Tim Dwight for our punt returns. Someone with blazing speed that can break off a couple of returns for a TD each season.

The Mean Green returned only 10 punts all season, compared to 44 for the opposition.

Wow, that's a telling stat. At first, I incorrectly assumed that the number included any punts our opposition had for touchbacks, fair catches or out of bounds. That just didn't seem accurate to me so I looked it up. And, after checking the stats on meangreensports, I see that our opponents actually punted 46 times. So that means we had 36 punts that we couldn't return. Now, either we were playing against some really good punters or we absolutely failed to get any pressure on the punter last season. My guess is that it is a combination of the two (with more emphasis on the latter), coupled with the opponents close proximity to our goal line (which resulted in more touchbacks). The stats don't break down how many punts were fair caught, touchbacks etc. and my memory isn't good enough to remember. But, if we needed any further evidence to show that our special teams weren't that special, this and the 4.6 yard punt return average certainly do it.

We need to find a Tim Dwight for our punt returns. Someone with blazing speed that can break off a couple of returns for a TD each season.

Wow....just...wow. Where is Evyn Roman when you need him???

+1 for Tim Dwight.

I met him when I was a young pup, and he was playing for Iowa City High School (just prior to his time at UofI). He seemed like a cool guy, and he has given back to the Iowa City area since making it big.

The special team unit will be better under Shelton Gandy. You can bank on that. Also, the front seven of the defense will be better because of the coaching combination of Mike Nelson and Gary DeLoach. You can bank on that. The secondary and offensive lines are more experienced as well and will be improved.

The question marks are at the offensive playmaking positions, quarterback and wide receiver. Unfortunately, those position are mainly where the scoring is supposed to come from in this offense. And, again, I think that is where the weakness of the coaching staff is - offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach.

Also, as posted yesterday, I don't think you mark improvement on this team based on what happens out of conference - unless those game include Rice 2008-type blowouts. Being competitive and having a winning record in the Sun Belt Conference will be proof enough of improvement.

I agree with Fake Lonnie and his views regarding the defense, special teams,

and the coaches. I believe the defense will develop into a special group.

I spoke to Coach Gandy at the LOI signing day event regarding special teams.

Coach Gandy is a very good special team coach. Coach Gandy was excited

about the ST players returning, the new incomming recruits, and the personell

changes and player options that he can implement into his ST packages.

For the offense, I see the running game becoming much stronger this season. There are

several very good OL guys that have played together for 1 or 2 years, building OL

continuity. For the OT's, Gill and Santagio return for their 3rd year. Plus, Tomlinson

and Bean will be healthy, and challenge the OT starters. There is very good depth

for all the OL positions. I can see RB Cam Montgomery having a very big year

running the ball and also a big year as a pass receiver. Cam will draw alot of

DC's attention.

This leads me to the QB and WR position, and their production. Any QB needs

pass protection, regardless of experience. If Riley has the pass protection, Riley

can perform like a veteran. Riley brings his run game too, which will play a big

role in 09. Riley broke 2 zone reads for TD's during the spring game but he was

stopped by the officals whistle. This season, I think the running game will come

first, with the passing game second. In Dodge's offense, the run to pass balance

is close to 50-50, depending on the what the opponets defense shows. A strong run

game will open up the passing game. There are good WR's on the team, so it is their

time to prove their worth. If Riley and Cam can break some big runs, the passing

game will follow. Again, offense begins in the trenches. The OL certainly is alot

better now- bigger and stronger, experienced, and has depth. I like this fact

going into the 09 season. Sure there will be offensive questions. I do like how

the OL is developing. The offensive questions may have answers now.

I agree with Fake Lonnie and his views regarding the defense, special teams,

and the coaches. I believe the defense will develop into a special group.

I spoke to Coach Gandy at the LOI signing day event regarding special teams.

Coach Gandy is a very good special team coach. Coach Gandy was excited

about the ST players returning, the new incomming recruits, and the personell

changes and player options that he can implement into his ST packages.

For the offense, I see the running game becoming much stronger this season. There are

several very good OL guys that have played together for 1 or 2 years, building OL

continuity. For the OT's, Gill and Santagio return for their 3rd year. Plus, Tomlinson

and Bean will be healthy, and challenge the OT starters. There is very good depth

for all the OL positions. I can see RB Cam Montgomery having a very big year

running the ball and also a big year as a pass receiver. Cam will draw alot of

DC's attention.

This leads me to the QB and WR position, and their production. Any QB needs

pass protection, regardless of experience. If Riley has the pass protection, Riley

can perform like a veteran. Riley brings his run game too, which will play a big

role in 09. Riley broke 2 zone reads for TD's during the spring game but he was

stopped by the officals whistle. This season, I think the running game will come

first, with the passing game second. In Dodge's offense, the run to pass balance

is close to 50-50, depending on the what the opponets defense shows. A strong run

game will open up the passing game. There are good WR's on the team, so it is their

time to prove their worth. If Riley and Cam can break some big runs, the passing

game will follow. Again, offense begins in the trenches. The OL certainly is alot

better now- bigger and stronger, experienced, and has depth. I like this fact

going into the 09 season. Sure there will be offensive questions. I do like how

the OL is developing. The offensive questions may have answers now.

I hope you're right...and I am very cautiously optimistic about this season. It sure can't get much worse than last year. Or, can it???

Edited by gangrene

The assessment is fair. The one thing I think could have been added, and the thing I'm waiting to see before I get my hopes up for this season, is how our guys look after working out over the summer. I don't know the NCAA rules for summer workouts, but I'm sure our new strength coach has given these guys individual workout programs and goals. If they are dedicated and hungry, then they should show up for fall camp stronger, in shape, and hopefully with chips on their shoulders. If this happens, then I feel the defense, and offensive line will both see improvement.

At the offensive skill positions I feel Cam could have a standout year. He looked great in spring, and I think could be among the top backs in the Sun Belt. Reilly could have a rough start, just because of the level of competition he has to face at the beginning of the year. If he is able to have some success against a few of our non-conference opponents, then I think a few coaches around the Belt might start losing a little sleep at night. It is my hope that by the start of conference play Reilly will have the ability and freedom to audible plays at the line. He knows the offense, it is just a matter of if can read or can learn to read college defenses with disguised blitz packages, and if our WR can break off routes and find the openings. If Reilly can audible at the line, we will move the ball great between the 20's. Until I see a true power formation, with the QB under center inside the 20 and on short yardage downs, I can't say we will score a considerably larger amount of points in the red zone, compared to last year. though I do think our scoring on plays of over 20 yards will go up.

On special teams, I'll believe it when I see it. I wish Gandy all the best, and hope he can pull it off.

After watching last year and the year before that, I am stunned that the person doing this countdown actually believes there are 3 teams worse then ours.

As for the punts stat, I wonder what the lowest is. I bet it would have to be close to either us or Washington when you just consider how many times the other teams each of Washington and ourselves actually allowed those offenses to score last year. If TTG was here, he could look up. I hear they are reinstated, but they can't seem to log on. Oh well, June 6th will be here before we know it I guess.

I thought that it was a very good write up.

I think that the key to our offense this year will be the line play. We have a veteran group this year. We actually have more quality linemen then we do spots available. Which is a problem we haven't had in a long time. I wonder what Gill is going to weigh by the time the season rolls around. Back to the point. Cam is a great back who will only be helped out by the line play. Most importantly is how the line will be able to help out Riley. If they can give him some time great if not....ouch.

We can all hope and pray that an inexperienced D-line can resurrect a defense that gave up 47 points per game. Does anyone realize how ridicules that sounds? I really hope you guys are right, but there has been nothing in the last 2 years to indicate that the defense is even close to turning the corner, not with Mendoza, not with Deloach, and certainly not with a new position coach.

How many savior coaches have to completely flop before people realize it's a talent deficiency that's the only problem that matters.

But, hey, we can always dream.

Edited by UNT90

Conspiracy Theory of the Day:

CheckFacts = Phil Young

Think about it, backgrounds are not that dissimilar. :ph34r:

To disarm this conspiracy theory, CheckFacts admitted to going to UNT for his undergraduate and later transferred to a smaller school, something like Sam Houston or Stephen F. Austin. Phil Young got his undergraduate degree at Auburn and is a washout from our graduate program.

Edited by UNTFan23

As for the punts stat, I wonder what the lowest is. I bet it would have to be close to either us or Washington when you just consider how many times the other teams each of Washington and ourselves actually allowed those offenses to score last year.

It looks like we were in a 4-way tie for the fewest number of punt returns with Washington (10 returns for 55 yards), Eastern Michigan (10 for 65) and Buffalo (10 for 125). Eight teams had a lower punt return average with Hawaii's being the worst at 31 punt returns for 62 yards - a miserable 2.0 average yards per punt return.

How cute, CheckFacts makes an appearance. :wub:

I've been scratching my head, wondering what the expletive you were talking about ever since you made that post. Alas, I just read the comments on the Quad story and everything made sense. For someone that likes to consistently trash our program and university, he sure does seem to follow all things green very closely.

To disarm this conspiracy theory, CheckFacts admitted to going to UNT for his undergraduate and later transferred to a smaller school, something like Sam Houston or Stephen F. Austin. Phil Young got his undergraduate degree at Auburn and is a washout from our graduate program.

Oh well, conspiracies aside, they ARE both tools. On that we can agree. :thumbsup:

Edited by oldschoollefty

We can all hope and pray that an inexperienced D-line can resurrect a defense that gave up 47 points per game. Does anyone realize how ridicules that sounds? I really hope you guys are right, but there has been nothing in the last 2 years to indicate that the defense is even close to turning the corner, not with Mendoza, not with Deloach, and certainly not with a new position coach.

How many savior coaches have to completely flop before people realize it's a talent deficiency that's the only problem that matters.

The reason I believe it is they've got the guy who helped build up the Iowa State program with Dan McCarney. McCarney is a DL guy and Mike Nelson was with him for his entire tenure, I think, at Iowa State. Those two took some pretty unknown guys and turned them into All-Big 12 linemen. No matter who plays LB, they will be in their second year with DeLoach, whose record for making LBs productive is well-documented here.

I can't stress enough that the front seven may take some beatings out of conference, but I truly believe they will be battle ready by the time the team heads into its conference schedule. I just think about what McCarney's current DL at Florida did to Oklahoma in the national title game and realize his right hand man for 11 years in now with us! This isn't some high school track coach leading the DTs anymore.

Mike Nelson is a proven entity. This is the type of coaching hire I and many of us in here call for. I wish the whole coaching staff was full of guys who have the experience and success he's had. As it stands, he and DeLoach are the best coaches we have; and, I'm glad they're in charge of the front seven. They will do more with whatever we have in talent now than Mendoza and Drake were able to do with our experienced LBs and DLs in 2007. Give me Nelson and DeLoach with inexperience over Mendoza and Drake with anyone.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Just MHO, but I thought that there were visible signs of progress being made on the D late last year. Unfortunately, it didn't measure up in the tangible aspect: the scoreboard.

I think with the new hires and a full year of maturity under DeLoach's system will reap some rewards this year. It's the only thing I'm really clinging to right now.

The reason I believe it is they've got the guy who helped build up the Iowa State program with Dan McCarney. McCarney is a DL guy and Mike Nelson was with him for his entire tenure, I think, at Iowa State. Those two took some pretty unknown guys and turned them into All-Big 12 linemen. No matter who plays LB, they will be in their second year with DeLoach, whose record for making LBs productive is well-documented here.

I can't stress enough that the front seven may take some beatings out of conference, but I truly believe they will be battle ready by the time the team heads into its conference schedule. I just think about what McCarney's current DL at Florida did to Oklahoma in the national title game and realize his right hand man for 11 years in now with us! This isn't some high school track coach leading the DTs anymore.

Mike Nelson is a proven entity. This is the type of coaching hire I and many of us in here call for. I wish the whole coaching staff was full of guys who have the experience and success he's had. As it stands, he and DeLoach are the best coaches we have; and, I'm glad they're in charge of the front seven. They will do more with whatever we have in talent now than Mendoza and Drake were able to do with our experienced LBs and DLs in 2007. Give me Nelson and DeLoach with inexperience over Mendoza and Drake with anyone.

Again, I'd like to believe, but this is the same argument that was posted thousands (overstatement) of times before last season when people were projecting a huge defensive improvement based on a new defensive coordinator. Didn't work out like we all thought and I am not buying into that bull c line again.

You can't coach talent, and you can't coach lack of talent. We have an extremely inexperienced line, many of whom were not highly sought after recruits. Yes they are bigger, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. Prove it and I'll believe.