Stadium News From Regents Meeting

Brett Vito

OK you Greenies.......still think Vitto is just reporting the news? or is he Mr. Negativity for no real reason other than he has an AX to gring....... I think he just wanted to stir the pot. Don't be his personal tool...

Sir, I honestly have no idea how you got that from this blog entry. $18 million extra is nothing to sneeze at.

I do think the stadium will be built. The economy will not be in this ditch forever, and since when did government contarcts EVER come in at the estimated amount anyway? Ever seen the cost overruns on almost all Pentagon projects?

It will happen...the stadium will be built.

It must be a slow day in the news blog business for Vito.

I do think the stadium will be built. The economy will not be in this ditch forever, and since when did government contarcts EVER come in at the estimated amount anyway? Ever seen the cost overruns on almost all Pentagon projects?

It will happen...the stadium will be built.

Sounds like we're all in agreement. As Vito said, "UNT can and probably will still get this done somehow."

A slow news day? So a 23 percent increase in the cost of the stadium - before a shovel of dirt has even been turned - is not news?

I agree with GreenAlums that calling us "Greenies" is unnecessary. Kind of like Galloway calling Cowboys fans Cow-sheep. But this is a legitimate news story and should be reported. Don't get distracted by your feelings one way or the other toward Vito. The headline here is not the reporter, it's that we're having major cost overruns before construction starts.

I want to believe the new stadium will be built, want to believe it more than I can say. But this kind of stuff is disturbing.

However, it does bring to mind a whole new marketing slogan:

The University of North Texas...at least we're consistent.

Edited by Smitty

News is the plane in buffalo going down, news is the bomber in Iraq that targeted women and children (well, maybe this isn't new, but it is "news"), news is the passing of the stimulus plan...the fact that a government project will "cost more" is simply business as usual. Let's not worry ourselves until the dirt starts flying. Who knows, the economy may turn around and the investment funds value may double...more than offsetting the increased cost. Come on...way too early to get excited about this. Still too many "ifs". But, OK, if you think it's big news, OK by me.

News is the plane in buffalo going down, news is the bomber in Iraq that targeted women and children (well, maybe this isn't new, but it is "news"), news is the passing of the stimulus plan...the fact that a government project will "cost more" is simply business as usual. Let's not worry ourselves until the dirt starts flying. Who knows, the economy may turn around and the investment funds value may double...more than offsetting the increased cost. Come on...way too early to get excited about this. Still too many "ifs". But, OK, if you think it's big news, OK by me.

Might have said the same thing about the student vote turning out in favor of the stadium? No dirt turned then.

Look, even if it's not major news, Vito put it on his blog, not in a DR-C article. That's the place you go to find out whatever is going on with UNT sports, and it's there for addicts who want every little bit of UNT football news they can get their hands on. If Brett wants to tell me on his blog that Todd Dodge just scratched himself, that's O.K. by me.

Im sorry but freakin 78 million United States Dollars for a 30,000 seat Stadium is waaaaaaay overpriced.....

Can't you get a bigger stadium for that amount, if you can then it would be worth it, if you can't then 78 million is too much for another stadium the size of Fouts Field....

Also this is disturbing news and 2019 looks more and more real.

I'm sorry but I'm calling bull$hit on a $19 million increase in six months time. The only logical rationale is that somebody screwed up somewhere in their original estimates of the costs. Steel is cheaper, labor is cheaper and we haven't even broken ground...what is it that is supposedly driving this increase?? Jerry Jones stadium ended up costing more than originally planned but those costs didn't escalate until construction began and it was realized that costlier changes were necessary to complete the stadium as planned.

Construction costs just don't increase 23% in six months without a BIG reason.

I'm sorry but I'm calling bull$hit on a $19 million increase in six months time. The only logical rationale is that somebody screwed up somewhere in their original estimates of the costs. Steel is cheaper, labor is cheaper and we haven't even broken ground...what is it that is supposedly driving this increase??

Cost of capital.

Im sorry but freakin 78 million United States Dollars for a 30,000 seat Stadium is waaaaaaay overpriced.....

Can't you get a bigger stadium for that amount, if you can then it would be worth it, if you can't then 78 million is too much for another stadium the size of Fouts Field....

Also this is disturbing news and 2019 looks more and more real.

:lol:

Don't you think if they could have used different (ie cheaper) materials to lower the cost of building the stadium and still keep it first class, they would have?

It seems all too often that we have caviar tastes but want it on a tuna fish type budget.

so very tired of you

Dr. B told us a long time ago that the timeline is shaky. Vito is just reporting the facts. 2011 is a pipe dream.

The school has motivation to get it done quickly. If I'm not mistaken, the student athletic fee does not kick in until the stadium is built, correct? Until the stadium is built, they will have to fund athletics through other means.

The school has motivation to get it done quickly. If I'm not mistaken, the student athletic fee does not kick in until the stadium is built, correct? Until the stadium is built, they will have to fund athletics through other means.

Failure of the Alums, faculty, Athletic Department, people in charge of fundraising, and the City of Denton to get this built by 2011 would be a severe kick in the nether regions to the school, the program, and the students who voted this fee into existence against almost insurmountable odds. GET IT DONE!! If not, many people's jobs should be reviewed.

I have yet to receive any contact about any donation toward the stadium fund. Not a big deal for me, because I am active supporter of the program. But my old college roommate, who goes to the occasional BBall and Fball game, has also received no contact. I bug him to give, and he asks me why UNT hasn't sent any mailings requesting such support. He gets other stuff from the school. He tells me he'll give when asked. I think that's probably the way a lot of Alums feel.

The students have provided the opportunity, please, RV, if your reading, don't screw this up.

Failure of the Alums, faculty, Athletic Department, people in charge of fundraising, and the City of Denton to get this built by 2011 would be a severe kick in the nether regions to the school, the program, and the students who voted this fee into existence against almost insurmountable odds. GET IT DONE!! If not, many people's jobs should be reviewed.

I have yet to receive any contact about any donation toward the stadium fund. Not a big deal for me, because I am active supporter of the program. But my old college roommate, who goes to the occasional BBall and Fball game, has also received no contact. I bug him to give, and he asks me why UNT hasn't sent any mailings requesting such support. He gets other stuff from the school. He tells me he'll give when asked. I think that's probably the way a lot of Alums feel.

The students have provided the opportunity, please, RV, if your reading, don't screw this up.

Dead On Post.