Offense

UNT Mean Green

Despite Riley Dodge probably being the Quarterback and being a good athlete, I would like to see North Texas use a version of the 'Wildcat' aka 'Glorified Single Wing'. This formation gives you an offensive wrinkle, and in this offense, it is pretty cut and dry, and we aren't beating anyone by alignment or motion/shifting. We normally line up with 4 WR, either 2 on each side of the QB, or some Trips Set. We occasionally go Empty/5 WR, every once in a while use a TE/H back formation with 3 WR and 1 RB, or a 3 WR alignment with 2 RB's in the backfield.

James Hamilton was a high school QB at Cedar Hill who showed flashes of incredible ability late in the year with the ball in his hands. I would like to see us utilize him and Dunbar more. I think an option/zone read package with them could be very fun (and the many plays you can run off of this) would just show a different look and be effective, especially if using motion/crossing in the backfield like Florida, West Virginia, or Oregon do. Both #2 and #5 are great athletes (barring 5 recovers from surgery, keep your fingers crossed!) and need to be used. Also, other options for a 'Wildcat' would be RS Freshman Willie Taylor of Dallas Hillcrest, who's a water-bug type of guy, and also DeWaylon Cook was an outstanding QB/ATH at Dallas Samuel. I feel like we have weapons and need to use them in some different ways.

Another option would be RS Freshman Forrest Rucker as a H-Back, who is more versatile than solely being a blocker. In the past, UNT has used the H-Back/TE as primarily a blocker because they were limited athletically. Rucker brings adequate size to accomplish this as well as being able to catch the football, and being a height mismatch. He was an outstanding WR and hoops star in high school.

Now, with Riley taking snaps, I would like to see a good variety of roll out passes. He has good speed and acceleration to tuck it and get upfield. Not to mention, it seemed like he was really accurate on the run at SLC.

I also like the 'double option' that Florida used quite well in the National Championship game with their TE/H-Back Aaron Hernandez going behind the LOS, and keeping forward pitch relationship with Tebow, while also having the traditional pitch man outside and behind Tebow. It gives the QB 3 options, and it puts the edge player on defense in a real bind, if blocked correctly (and it's not hard to block, since your reading the end man on the LOS). You can bring that underneath guy from anywhere (RB under & WR behind; TE under & RB behind, WR under from motion or a close set & RB behind) and it keeps the defense on their heels. I really like playing with the defender on the edge and keeping him thinking, instead of pinning his ears back and coming for the QB 40+ times a game.

I also like in the goal line sets, when teams bring a 'heavy set' in there using DT's, LB's, whatever as extra blockers. It seemed like last year, UNT had a difficult time in short yardage situations, and didn't get a great push up front. If you bring in 500-600lbs of extra beef with just 2 blockers in there, sure you tip your hat as far as 90%+ chance of running it, but it will cause you to be more effective on 3rd and short, and 4th and short, and near the goal line. Also, you can have a great play action game off of this if used correctly, and you don't have to be under center.

Anyway, these are just a few thoughts I had. I feel like we have the necessary playmakers, a good O-line, and a versatile & smart QB, and this gives you the opportunity to do more things and create more mismatches, instead of just being your basic 4 WR offense and checking plays at the line every down.

I know many people are going to post on this that they want to see the QB under center, and see a TE regularly, etc. So I thought I would post my thoughts in line with doing what this offense does, and that is being a shotgun team.

Edited by UNT Mean Green

all that sounds great, but without the beef up front we still would not have time to get the plays off. need to be solid up front to have any chance and that is a couple years away. dodge gonna have to start over from scratch, hope they give em the time to do so. best we can hope for is to improve the defense to the point where scores are at least respectable until players are built back up. not an expert here but it seems we focused too much on skill players instead of the beef. without the beef the the hamberger just aint the same

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry402106

Another thing I would love to see, that is if the offensive line does not improve, is some more half roles behind the tackles and full roll outs. The half role buys the QB some time and makes it much harder for defenses to blitz from the back side. Also, if they blitz from the front side, everything is right in front of the QB and he can react much faster via hot route or running. The full role out ties up an additional defender to account for the QB which does one of two things. A, the defender plays up to the QB and frees up a WR or B, gives the QB time to run to pick up a short gain (possibly big gain).

I really like the idea of the double option with somone running the "shovel" route inside with back swinging behind. There could be a lot of "trickeration" off of that as well.

[i really like the idea of the double option with somone running the "shovel" route inside with back swinging behind. There could be a lot of "trickeration" off of that as well.

You stole my thunder there with the shovel pass - that is an ideal play for the spread attack since the middle of the defense will typically have larger gaps. We took advantage of that some with Cam running plays (man I'm glad he's back next year), but the shovel pass adds a nice wrinkle.

More slant routes - we have some size at receiver and should make better use of it.

All in all - I would say more quick passing routes. For some reason, it seemed like Gio was in the backfield forever before the ball would come out - even on plays that seemed to be "quick" routes - that was part of the issue with protection. Throw some successful quick routes to take the pressure off the line and the QB. Add a strong running game and you set the defense up for the deep post.

Some good ideas. I like the idea of James Hamilton and Dunbar/Mosley/Montgomery in the backfield for a single wing set, slide Riley over as a WR on that package.

Hey, I'm from Wichita Falls, and started watching football with the WFHS Coyotes, an extremely successful single wing program. I never thought I'd live to see the day when the single wing was proposed as a way towards a more wide open, high scoring offensive attack! Yes, I like the idea.

My wish list:

1)Something, anything, under center

2)Option out of the shotgun

3)The occasional reverse/double reverse...maybe a draw two, wild or draw four from time to time

4)Use of a tight end to block and release

If all/some of these are thrown in I think defenses will be less inclined to "send the house"