Breaking News -- Vizza To Transfer

Brett Vito

RE: Riley, I wouldn't think of "bashing" him. In his brief appearances I saw a glimpse of what he might do as an every-down player. I also saw a body that needs to be developed to play at this level. He has the skills but I am concerned for his physical well-being. That is the reason I advocated a true redshirt year for him last year. Nathan is going to have to prepare for every game like he is one snap from being the starter. It will be very scary.

Personally, I can't wait to see what Riley can do running the offense he knows so well. He's faster than Vizza on his feet, he knows the routes, he won't be struggling to learn the system, and he'll have a bigger offensive line to protect him.

Vizza ran the same system in high school that Dodge runs here. I hope Riley is the real deal, but excuse me if I have my doubts about a 5' 9" D1A QB who has zero QB experience on the college level.

We are all too close to the situation to judge the effects of this. Lets wait and see how the outside "experts" pick our finish in the Sun Belt without Vizza. They seemed to be on the mark last year when many of us were predicting a 6 to 8 win season.

It's one player. The team needs a slew of good players. This will only motivate those who stay more.

Vizza will me missed and is a legitimate D-1 players or a hall of fame coach wouldn't have recruited him but this team needs so much more than a QB.

And problems must run deeper than anyone really knows. RV has to be scratching his balls wondering what the hell happened.

Let's look at the bright side:

With Vizza gone, we're more likely to repeat the 1 or 2 win performances of 2007 and 2008. In fact, an 0-fer now isn't out of the question.

The big picture is pain for gain. One more crappy season and we'll get a new head coach. Vizza has indirectly moved the program forward.

The way we are stock-piling high draft picks can only bode well.

The way we are stock-piling high draft picks can only bode well.

The three cardinal, trapezoidal formations, hereto made orientable in our diagram by connecting the various points, HIGK, PEGQ and LMNO, creating our geometric configurations, which have no properties, but with location are equal to the described triangle CAB quintuplicated. Therefore, it is also the five triangles composing the aforementioned NIGH which are equal to the triangle CAB in this geometric concept! Therefore, in a like manner, the geometric metaphors can derive a repeated vectoral sum. This was your assignment. I would like to see the results, please. Take them out

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

You are free to your opinion, and I am free to mine. I think Gio's records and ability speak for themselves; it is a circular argument to say that, because he believes the team cannot win, he doesn't. I can just as easily say that, because the team cannot win, he doesn't believe they can. Based on my observation of the guy, I happen to think it is closer to the latter. But, again, that is just my opinion.

Well, if your observation were true then I'd certainly question his leadership. A GOOD leader doesn't witness his team lose, then just decide that that's acceptable. Maybe that's not what you meant, but your example certainly implies it.

Whenever something like this happens, you see a lot of over-reaction: either the player was so good that we might as well fold the program, or losing him was "no big deal" and he wasn't nearly as talented as we all thought he was when here. You either build the guy up or beat the guy down, depending on your personal preference.

I said he is too good for North Texas right now. North Texas, right now, is a one or two win team. If you happen to think that Giovanni Vizza is not as good as a one win team, then I can see how you might contest that point. However, I think his quality is far superior than the product we'll be putting on the field next year.

Look, losing a 2 year starting QB is NOT a good thing. This is bad for UNT football....unless he was a cancer in the lockerroom (which I have absolutely no idea about but assume that he was not) he was a talented player that will be missed. But at no point do I look at any one player on our squad and determine them to be better than UNT deserves. That's the attitude of someone who's resigned themselves to losing.

Don't make me quote the prom queen speech from 'The Rock'....cause I will. :)

Another opinion...not to mention a kick ass video.

(sorry to steal this man, but if you want your blog to succeed and finally dethrone those morons over at Ty you need to shamelessly self-promote)

I got to admit, I'm kind of pulling for the kid too. This just proves that not anyone can start a site and expect to have something worth saying:

After watching that game, I think it is impossible to say that Florida does not have a good defense.

They held a really good offense down.

On the other hand, if they had played a week or two after the season ended I think Oklahoma would have put up more of a fight.

But Florida would have also.

In any case, I think that Texas would have gave them a good fight too.

The lesson here is: you cannot lose a game and expect to win a championship .... unless you play in the SEC.

Bad things: the guy who has taken the most snaps as starter is leaving for (different colored) pastures

it sends a bad signal to everyone about the state of the program.

Good things: He is leaving with enough time for Riley (The Chosen One- at least by PapaDodge ) to get his shh in gear and take some reps.

It gives EA enough time to get the rosters right for next year.

Bad things: the guy who has taken the most snaps as starter is leaving for (different colored) pastures

it sends a bad signal to everyone about the state of the program.

Good things: He is leaving with enough time for Riley (The Chosen One- at least by PapaDodge ) to get his shh in gear and take some reps.

It gives EA enough time to get the rosters right for next year.

Yeah - I was pretty pissed when EA left Byerly on the roster a few years ago.

Would you have typed that after the Dodge hire? The football program just keeps backpedalling and it really needs to stop.

No, I wouldn't have typed that after Dodge was hired. As a matter of fact, I may have been the most excited fan about getting Dodge here. I expected great offense and a coach that interacted with the fans in a better fashion than DD. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case on the offense. I can't really speak to the interaction part, but I haven't heard Dodge call us MFers, so he's got that going for him--which is nice.

I have not bothered to read the 9 pages of info on this subject, so if this has already been said, which i'm sure it has, bare with me.

My initial reaction is that Todd told Gio that Riley is our new starter and Vizza said F U I'm out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist like most of you, so I could be wrong. Just my take.

Either that or our suck ass team had something to do with it.

Edited by LittleMeanGreenMan

Sad. Very sad.

Chris Ault offered this kid out of high school. He had real talent and a real coach would have developed it more by now. Now, a real coaching staff will get the opportunity to develop it.

You hear the word spread with alot of college programs, but their coaches all have brains in their heads. Florida, OU, Texas, Boise State...you name it. All run some form of the spread, all still employ the tight end and fullbacks both for running and for protecting the QB. Todd Dodge and high school coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball didn't change nor were they going to.

Therefore, there was no need for Vizza to keep taking needless poundings. That Dodge and his merry band of high school coaches don't know how to coach college football had already been proven.

And, the deluded keep following along. No changes in the coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball despite two failed seasons. The same high school offensive coordinator. The same high school receivers coach. The same failed scheme.

That, my friends, is what we have in store for 2009. Garbage, pure garbage at this level. The kids on the team deserve better.... And, the longsuffering fanbase deserves better. The status quo will not do!

Good luck, Giovanni. You'll do much better elsewhere. And, you'll still have many fans in Denton.

This sums it up very nicely. Good post.

I have not bothered to read the 9 pages of info on this subject, so if this has already been said, which i'm sure it has, bare with me.

My initial reaction is that Todd told Gio that Riley is our new starter and Vizza said F U I'm out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist like most of you, so I could be wrong. Just my take.

Either that or our suck ass team had something to do with it.

According to Gio's comments, your initial reaction is wrong. But your backup hypothesis seems to be correct, assuming Gio is not omitting key information.

EDIT: A portion of my post was out of line and unnecessary. That portion has been deleted.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Again, I have asked many on the team who failed the test and gio was not one of them. I can name all 15 because they were all called out in a team meeting. SUCKS DICK flyer

I seriously doubt that they were called out in front of the team, as it would be violating the privacy of the player in question. I also seriously doubt you know the names of all 15 and people like Brett Vito do not.