Why One Business In Denton Didn't Support Unt Football

Green Dozer

On Saturday evening, while we were waiting on the team buses, we were talking how we wished Denton would get behind the team more, and all of UNT for that matter. Anyway, SUMG told a story that several years ago, he and few people were taking the big schedule posters to local businesses. Anyway, they went into a pharmacy on the square and asked the owner if he would mind hanging one in his store. He told them that he had quit supporting the football program several years before because North Texas had dropped out of the PAC 10, so no, they could not hang up the poster. We all got a big laugh, and remarked that all those trips to the Rose Bowl and playing USC every must have go pretty boring. Only in Denton!

Aside from Frenchy ( I love that guy) who in Denton really supports UNT football? Let's start keeping score. Maybe they (Denton businesses) will realize it is a good business decision to support the largest Denton employer and the largest boost to the customer base in town. Just think, Lubbock had literally millions of dollars flooded in to their economy this weekend because of a great game. Why can't Denton see the relationship?? What are we doing wrong? We seem to know what they are doing wrong.

Aside from Frenchy ( I love that guy) who in Denton really supports UNT football? Let's start keeping score. Maybe they (Denton businesses) will realize it is a good business decision to support the largest Denton employer and the largest boost to the customer base in town. Just think, Lubbock had literally millions of dollars flooded in to their economy this weekend because of a great game. Why can't Denton see the relationship?? What are we doing wrong? We seem to know what they are doing wrong.

Frenchy is your example? Please. I appreciate Frenchy's community involvement and UNT support, but he is the world champ of self-promotion.

There are plenty of businesses that support UNT... just look around the stadium. Wells Fargo, Ben E. Keith, Little Guys, Bill Utter, many others. Does it rival what goes on in Austin or College Station, no, but that's no surprise.

Maybe it's hard to tell from Carrollton?

Aside from Frenchy ( I love that guy)

Speaking of Frenchy...

Twice I have taken my children to DFW Airport to greet the troops returning from the war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Both times, the person organizing the greeting, handing out flags and posters, was our own beloved Frenchy.

On Saturday evening, while we were waiting on the team buses, we were talking how we wished Denton would get behind the team more, and all of UNT for that matter. Anyway, SUMG told a story that several years ago, he and few people were taking the big schedule posters to local businesses. Anyway, they went into a pharmacy on the square and asked the owner if he would mind hanging one in his store. He told them that he had quit supporting the football program several years before because North Texas had dropped out of the PAC 10, so no, they could not hang up the poster. We all got a big laugh, and remarked that all those trips to the Rose Bowl and playing USC every must have go pretty boring. Only in Denton!

It was a little more than several years ago. Probably 15 or so. PlummMeanGreen was with me. And the place was Schrader's Pharmacy.

Frenchy is your example? Please. I appreciate Frenchy's community involvement and UNT support, but he is the world champ of self-promotion.

There are plenty of businesses that support UNT... just look around the stadium. Wells Fargo, Ben E. Keith, Little Guys, Bill Utter, many others. Does it rival what goes on in Austin or College Station, no, but that's no surprise.

Maybe it's hard to tell from Carrollton?

You are right, I certainly don't want to minimize their purchase of publicity in the stadium and the events that may be sponsored by businesses in Denton after we have to ask, [for their involvement]. That's usually a fair and equitable arragnement for both as well. However, I'm talking about spirited, rah, rah, green flag flying, game day, fan fare support. It is hard to see from Carrollton. Its also really hard to see community support until you get really close to the campus, and that is what the University has put together.

You are so right, our community support is nothing like UT, TT, OSU, KSU, KU...and the list goes on, and on.

I do realize we (UNT) have a role in stimulating community spport. We probably stumble over our own feet too!

I may be wrong, but it appears to me that the Denton business community now supports the North Texas athletic programs more than they have in the past thirty years.

It's still a work in progress, but it is getting better.

Completely agree. The visible game day signage and support from the Denton business community is 10 times what it was even 8 years ago.

Rick

Completely agree. The visible game day signage and support from the Denton business community is 10 times what it was even 8 years ago.

Rick

So - promotions guy who has been here 3 years now do good?

There arent that many corporate businesses in Denton.... That is why alot of people commute to Dallas or Forth Worth. It is true that alot of the smaller businesses have supported UNT athletics in a big way in recent years but some of these bigger businesses havent really bought into the UNT program. I guess Peterbuilt, Sally Beauty, Tetra Pak.

Also Frenchy is all about self-promotion. Anyway drove by his house on Christmas, instead of traditional christmas lights to celebrate the holiday, he has all orange decked out lights, its all self-promotion.

There arent that many corporate businesses in Denton.... That is why alot of people commute to Dallas or Forth Worth. It is true that alot of the smaller businesses have supported UNT athletics in a big way in recent years but some of these bigger businesses havent really bought into the UNT program. I guess Peterbuilt, Sally Beauty, Tetra Pak.

Also Frenchy is all about self-promotion. Anyway drove by his house on Christmas, instead of traditional christmas lights to celebrate the holiday, he has all orange decked out lights, its all self-promotion.

Yea, self promoter. But you could look all over the United States, and be hard pressed to find anybody that gives to his community and country more than he does. Adler posted about Frenchy's work with the troops at DFW. Whether you agree with the war or not this is a good thing. Frenchy is there despite the long hours his business requires, and believe me, he is out there running his business. Did not think you were knocking him, just pointing out that he does give and gives in a big way.

What? No mention of the empirical pier foundation repair guy who's on the radio 24/7 touting himself as a UNT alum and has a business phone of 1-877-Meangreen?

Another great point and good catch! Go Tony Cooper!! I don't know Tony but If I needed a foundation repair job done, he would be my first phone call!!. Does he promote and give back to the University, is he out tailgating and flying UNT/Mean Green/North Texas flags and the like? He may be, I just don't know!!

There are a lot more posters on campus and in the community. I think we can all agree on the effectiveness of this initiative.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I think he does a better job than we've had done in decades.