Yes Gmg Members Can Complain About Coaches, Players

OldTimer

The first part of this post disappeared. I will try and reconstruct.

Fans and coaches of our competitors are very much aware of what is being posted on this board. You don't think the opposing coaches will use this against NT when their school and Nt are competing for the same recruits. Players and their families read our board...more comments on this in the following paragraph.

If they believe TD is gone their son goes somewhere else and our situation gets worse. Most of you can remember posts by Troy Franklins father last year and this year either Micah Mosely's father or someone close to the family to know the info on Stefan Hefner that they posted. Just to cite two such recent posts.

Someone posted on this board today that there is no way NT can afford to buy TD's contract out (I can believe that) and in MHO I don't believe NT will be able find to a quality name coach to come in when their predecessor was fired before he finished his 2nd year.

Yes everyone is unhappy over our results to date....so am I. But I am not on the board calling FIRE THE COACH....This can do nothing but make the situation worse. Can't you believe that opposing coaches are aware of what is being posted and are using that against us whenrecruiting the same players that NT is recruiting. There have been a lot of posts from time to time of fans of SBC and other schools on our boards and a lot of our fans go to the forums of competitive schools and posts.....it works both ways.

Those making such posts have done so time after time....I think its time to take a step back and support our players and coaches.

Most of our gmg posters have long ties to NT and have been and are still supporters. I recognize that you are loyal to NT and are just as disappointed by what is happening as I am. I just believe that all this disappointment has been well stated time and again and that its time to step back and support our players and coaches. I certaintly believe everyone should be now be aware of the MESS that TD inherited and that it is a MAJOR reason for our failures this year.

OldTimer

Those making such posts have done so time after time....I think its time to take a step back and support our players and coaches.

Most of our gmg posters have long ties to NT and have been and are still supporters. I recognize that you are loyal to NT and are just as disappointed by what is happening as I am. I just believe that all this disappointment has been well stated time and again and that its time to step back and support our players and coaches. I certaintly believe everyone should be now be aware of the MESS that TD inherited and that it is a MAJOR reason for our failures this year.

And I think it's time our players and coaches start supporting the fans by doing the right things on the field, and not constantly embarrassing the fan base. As far as the inherited MESS goes.....a better coach would make some chicken salad if you get my drift. Personally I think people need to stop cutting Dodge so much slack and coming up with excuses for his failures.

What he inherited was a hell of a lot more than Mario Cristobal did.

Though I completely disagree, I might could be convinced that he inherited enough to have the season he did last year, but not these first 5 games and whatever is going on in that locker room behind the scenes is definately something new.

Though I completely disagree, I might could be convinced that he inherited enough to have the season he did last year, but not these first 5 games and whatever is going on in that locker room behind the scenes is definately something new.

Remember Dodge keeps telling everyone he has his best players on the field. 90% of those players are Dodge's recruits. Lots of burned redshirts to make sure the best players are in the field and we are 0-5. So, I have to ask why do people on the board keeping saying Dodge inherited this mess and the cupboard was bare. The QB is a Dodge recruit. All but 2 of the receiving corp are Dodge recruits. The running backs and some of the o-line are Dodge recruits. Most of the defense are Dodge recruits. To those of you who keep saying Dodge inherited "this mess" I would like to know what the mess is?

To recap, what TD inherited was a team accustomed to a climate where unlawful activity was ignored as often as possible, academics were important unless you were the next big thing (at least that's the rumor I heard about Byerly), playing to lose was the OOC standard, and the team from 01-04 was all that mattered and no new recruits were necessary (considering the "great defense" Dodge inherited). He's trying to re-train some of the older players while retooling a system 100%, hopefully to come to fruition with his 1 1/2 recruiting classes, who are the primary players. No freshman QB with a learned O-line, no all-american candidates on D or ST.

All of these people (Dodge, his assistants, players, and even new admin) are working on changing a system that has been more lackluster, spiritless, and apathetic (team, fans, community, University) since 1913 than nearly any other program in the nation.

They haven't overcome all of that in a year and a half?

You're right, that's plenty of time to reverse 95 years of negativity or complete apathy. We might as well ask the BOR to fire Bataille while we're at it and start fresh AGAIN, because they should have had this turkey cooked by the time their payroll approval went through.

I'm annoyed and embarrassed by this year's performance as much as anyone, but we have to see the bigger picture here. Rebuilding from the ground up takes more time. RV got us on a roll, Bataille gave us admin support (which I thought Pohl gave, but she's above and beyond that), alums are slowly turning around (so the Exes are slowly gaining ground as well). Todge is the newest major piece of the puzzle and is battling the last bastion of negativity (at least the last major one) we have at our alma mater.

4 years minimum. I wanted to be in a bowl this year, but I also wanted to be making 6 figures as soon as I finished my undergrad. Both involved expectations derived from my alma mater, but neither was completely controllable. Roll with the punches and look at the big picture, people. The attitude change alone will help every part of North Texas in the long run. Giving Dodge the requisite 2-3 more years won't hurt us nearly as much as the crap attitude of decades past has.

Be a part of the solution.

I propose this:

Naming rights for the stadium have been stated. Some here might be able to afford some of that on their own. For the rest of us, what about an organization for the sake of naming something small, just to promote the stadium? Since there was discussion of throwing around a few grand just for an ad--a freaking NEWSPAPER AD--can't we pitch in all that money for, hell, at the very least, a FREAKING LOCKER?

The gomeangreen.com locker (or row of lockers) would be a VERY cool way to prove to students that we're willing to put our money where their balls are. Or something like that.

Yes everyone is unhappy over our results to date....so am I. But I am not on the board calling FIRE THE COACH....This can do nothing but make the situation worse. Can't you believe that opposing coaches are aware of what is being posted and are using that against us whenrecruiting the same players that NT is recruiting.

Every time UNT football hits the crapper, somebody tells the members of GoMeanGreen that we're hurting the program by speaking critically of it. Sorry, OldTimer, but I don't believe there's anything that could be said on this board that hurts UNT recruiting worse than five straight 30-plus routs, a No. 119 ranking out of 119 teams, and the prospect of going 0-12.

I think UNT would be in worse shape if fans took this kind of stuff in stride, as if they never expected anything better.

I really don't quite understand why this keeps coming up. Are you saying the MESS that TD inherited was the lack of athletes on the team? What MESS did he inherit?

Dude - we had won something like 5 games since 2005 when Dodge arrived. That's a mess. Not to mention we now have a team full of new players including many freshman with no D-1 experience that are starting.

Geez, Old Timer, you put up a very good posting about recruiting and before you

even finish, you are getting ripped about the coaches.

Looks like people only read what they want to, and they do not see the big

picture. Dodge did come into a mess. Dodge and his staff are rebuilding,

teaching a new system on offense and on defense. This takes time.

Other coaches use this infighting to their advantage on the recruiting trails,

so I agree, there is pleanty of negative BS written on this board the

competion can use.

Have to gagree. This is a young team, folks. Keep the faith. Thousand points of light. All in this together. Things are moving behind the scenes. Stay the course. :ph34r:

wait....what is this???? a good :ph34r: ???? whoa....slow down....there is only room for negative, secret :ph34r:

Let the recruits and their parents read all the negative posts. If they want to play D1 football even for a school in the sunbelt conference then they will expect that this is how it is. They are not that naive to think it happens or not. If they win then they will be praised and be raised off the ground. Once again as the great Dan Hawkins once said to a parent....."THIS IS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!"

Dodge's mess is of his own doing, he didn't inherit what is going on with this team currently.

Amen. Besides, who would want their son to go play football for a coach who makes excuses for poor preparation? Many of us have said, and we stick to it - for Dodge, it's time to put up or shut up.

It's insulting to those of us who graduated from UNT to be told by the Dodge-bangers that if Dodge fails the program will go down the tubes. That's non-sense. There are hundreds of coaches out there with tons of FBS coaching experience who could be hired. This isn't a one shot or it's all gone to hell deal.

In fact, if Dodge is canned, it's probably better from the long term growth of the program because then someone who knows something about coaching at the FBS level can be hired and actually field a competitive team for our school again.

Finally, it bears repeating that this isn't The University of Todd and Riley Dodge. This is the University of North Texas. We were Mean Green before they got here...and we will be Mean Green long after they are gone.

There's no doubt recruits pay attention to the scores and record of the programs they end up signing with. Would anyone like to post the names of the recruits who signed with us in February '00 shortly after the program had just finished posting a miserable 2-9 season in '99.

Rick

Exactly!

So a good recruiter/salesman should be able to spin any situation. With us, it would be "come here and have a greater chance of playing early and helping this program turn around".....OR "you could be our next Joe Greene"....OR "you could be our next Brian Waters."

Finally, it bears repeating that this isn't The University of Todd and Riley Dodge. This is the University of North Texas. We were Mean Green before they got here...and we will be Mean Green long after they are gone.

Well-stated, hombre. That being said, I'd sure love for them to get this shite together.

I have a question for the people who think that recruits read this board. How do you think they find out about it? I searched Google today for terms related to UNT's sports program, and GoMeanGreen.Com didn't pop up in the top 10 results for any terms I could think of other than "go mean green". So if recruits are finding it, it's because somebody affiliated with them or the school told them about it. Since this message board, like all college football boards, can be pretty critical, I find it hard to believe that anyone at UNT's athletic department is telling potential recruits about this board.

I think the only athletes and athletes' relatives who are on Go Mean Green, by and large, are the ones who found out about it *after* they were at the school. Either that, or I need better Google skills.

Exactly!

So a good recruiter/salesman should be able to spin any situation. With us, it would be "come here and have a greater chance of playing early and helping this program turn around".....OR "you could be our next Joe Greene"....OR "you could be our next Brian Waters."

Well Silver, most people don't associate Brian Waters and North Texas like they do with Joe Greene. I know that has mostly to do with the last name and Mean Greene. But Waters will not make any difference to our recruiting until he turns around and embraces us. I think the athletic department has tried to reach out to him from what I have heard. If you want an example of what it means to help your university as for as recruiting, look at how the former Miami Hurricane players do. That is what we need from our former players here, especially the few that have gone on to the pros. In a few years, most recruits and their parents won't have a clue who Joe Greene is/was unless they have studied their football history. Thanks for all you do in the recruiting efforts.

Well Silver, most people don't associate Brian Waters and North Texas like they do with Joe Greene. I know that has mostly to do with the last name and Mean Greene. But Waters will not make any difference to our recruiting until he turns around and embraces us. I think the athletic department has tried to reach out to him from what I have heard. If you want an example of what it means to help your university as for as recruiting, look at how the former Miami Hurricane players do. That is what we need from our former players here, especially the few that have gone on to the pros. In a few years, most recruits and their parents won't have a clue who Joe Greene is/was unless they have studied their football history. Thanks for all you do in the recruiting efforts.

Well, since he's all-pro a High School kid playing in the OL might know who he is. They might be surprised that he played football at North Texas, but a good salesman could say that Brian came to North Texas to get a good education. They could then follow it up by saying that Brian really liked it at North Texas.

Hell, coaches have told bigger lies than that to recruits.