Sun Belt Champion Predictions?

Fitzyrection

Going into the season, I thought there was no way anyone but FAU could win it this year. After a few weeks have gone by, I think Troy, ULL, and Arkansas State are all more than capable of taking the SB title. Expect a hell of a race in the Sun Belt.

Who do you think takes it?

Definitely not ULL. I'll put my money on Troy though I wouldn't be surprised if ArkState is right there in the running.

For me, it's a two horse race: FAU and ArkSt, with the Owls still in the driver's seat.

Don't get the Troy lovefest every year.. I know they're good, i know they beat spare to fair BCS teams from time to time, but until they actually show they can win the Belt once (much less not have a horrible conference loss at some point), I don't buy it. They may very well prove me wrong, but until then....

FAU is still the team to beat. ArkSt has looked great so far, but can't see them getting past both FAU and Troy, and still fear the hiccup. MT isn't in the title mix but is still dangerous... LaMo does nothing for me, and though they may trip someone up, they don't have NEAR the consistency.... FIU is better -- they fought USF hard, will be tough at their new stadium, and have a bit of a defense -- they'll still be towards the bottom of the standings, but they may get someone along the way. ULL - not feeling it. FIU may flip them in the standings, and Bustle will be run outta town accordingly.

I'll spare my NT thoughts due to bias and/or severe depression.

I am very, very interested to see how we do against Florida International. I'm very glad they're our first conference game, not that I think they're a guaranteed win (at least, not until Dodge beats them for the first time), but because they are trying to climb up from the same spot in the rankings that we are.

If I knew how to start a poll, I'd ask this question:

How many people think we'll put up 580 yards or more of total offense against FIU?

It'll be a good meterstick for where our team and our offense is.

Right now I have no idea. Some teams have been good OOC, some up-and-down, and others (like us) just plain bad. For the championship, all that matter are conference games. Since so few have been played thus far, it's difficult to gauge how the teams compare, one to another. Who knows? We might do the 0-5 5-0 turnaround again...and follow with 2 more and go 7-5. Plus, college football has been just plain weird the last 2 seasons, so I have a really difficult time reasoning anything as a "definite win/loss".

Troy's 2-1 with one win over MTSU. They ran all over the OSU defense for 30 minutes and made mistakes that anyone else would in that environment. I know Troy is always praised in the SBC year after year but I think they're still legit even without Omar at QB anymore.

FAU's still my pick, even after the OOC losses because the teams they played are getting better themselves.

It will be between Arkansas State and Troy and here's why. The red wolves have a very solid defense this year and rank 36th nationally(FAU's defense ranks 109th by the way). ASU's win at A&M was amazing, and then to see what they just did to a MTSU team that beat Maryland? As for Troy, they were only down 14-10 in the 4th quarter against OSU last night and came within 10 yards of holding the Buckeye's to less than 300 total yards in their house ;) . Troy's defense overall is ranked 11th right now(5th AGAINST THE PASS..... :blink::blink::blink: ). Against like opponents both Troy and ASU's defenses held MTSU's rushing game to less than 1.9 yards per carry. I remember the day when that was our defense making stats like that?

We at North Texas know it to be FACT, and better than anyone in this league, that Defense wins championships and these are the two programs that seem to have that down solid.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Cajuns got ripped by USM and haven't played worth a crap at home the past two years.

They OUGHT to be good but Kent has been their only good game.

Incorrect. Minus a stupid turnover for a touchdown, the Cajuns beat Illinois. About the USM game, you don't think that their might have been just a few other factors playing into that game. Think about it.

Arkansas St. over Troy this year. Both have great coaching and defense, but ASU has the better QB.

My prediction for FIU?...we'll be held to less than 350 yards and beaten soundly. No kool-aid drinking for me this year. This is the weakest team we've fielded since I've been following the program ('96). Too much youth on defense + terrible special teams = lots of losses. Maybe next year we'll see some improvement due to closing all the gaps in our coaching staff that still exist b/c of the HS guys brought along needing to learn on the job and our defense will have one full year under DeLoach's system.

Who cares how many yards we get against FIU? If it is 600 yards but only 17 points then we lose. If it is 400 yards but we score 40+, then we win. I thought you were better than this! Falling in love with yardage is for suckers! Suckers, I say!

Can I be obsessed with winning Time of Possession instead?