Stadium Article

Stan R

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important fact buried in the article......

"The proposed athletics fee would increase that amount to $10. Kline said the fee likely would take effect after most current NT students have graduated."

On one hand, that makes a lot of sense since current students would be paying for a stadium that they wouldn't be able to enjoy.

On the other hand, it seems a little unfair to impose a fee via student vote on kids who are currently sitting in middle/high school.

I dunno. No easy answers when you're talking $60 Million.

As for the rest of the money that doesn't come from students, nobody liked my Friscoesque ideas of imposing a hotel tax or a toll on 35 (toll actually compliments of governor Rick Perry). This leaves three options for me (having almost all my civil knowledge of funds raising from the fine, fine people in Frisco City Hall)...

1) Let the university issue a bond...backed by student fees. Therefore, the students aren't being forced to pay for the stadium as the university itself is ultimately responsible.

2) Tear down the university union and replace it with an Ikea, a Super Target, a Lowes, a PGA super center, and a giant mall with crappy stores and an ice rink in it, and watch those sales tax revenues come flying in!

3) Sign a long term contract with Jimmy Buffet to perform annually at the new stadium, thus bringing in thousands of old people in RVs who will soak Denton County's liquor stores dry. Watch the collateral revenues fly in!

Edited by oldguystudent

I dunno. No easy answers when you're talking $60 Million.

Actually for NT it may be alot but comparatively speaking $60 million really is not that much. When its all done, I don't know how it will look and how the finish the be. On the outskirt this new stadium of ours will be nice but I am really curious to see what the finish will be. You really get what you pay for. The University of Minnesota is building an on campus stadium which will hold 50,000 people and that is costing almost $290 million dollars. I know thats a BCS school and they are getting state funding but really its about planning and committment they have. So in comparison I would say that $60 million dollars is pretty dang cheap compared to what others are paying.

Oh and if you want to take a look at the beautiful UM stadium here is the link.

TCF Bank Stadium

Edited by Green Mean

Another opinion that drives me crazy:

"Its unfair to offload the fees to the future students of North Texas who don't have a voice."

I'm sorry... but that's just ridiculous. I can understand the argument that students in school NOW might not agree to a new fee halfway in. I don't really agree with it, but I can at least understand it.

But to say its unfair to students who aren't even attending North Texas??? Maybe this is a revolutionary idea, but if they aren't attending North Texas yet, doesn't that give them a choice about coming here? To put it another way, if you aren't attending UNT, and the thought of an additional $840 over the course of a $20-30,000 education disturbs you that much, then isn't it in your power just to go somewhere else?

No one is forcing anyone to go to North Texas (although I expect some strong discussion to take place at the Jackson and McKinney households in the future). If the prospective student is looking for the lowest priced school available, then surely the next cheapest school would be a desirable alternative.

Actually for NT it may be alot but comparatively speaking $60 million really is not that much. When its all done, I don't know how it will look and how the finish the be. On the outskirt this new stadium of ours will be nice but I am really curious to see what the finish will be. You really get what you pay for. The University of Minnesota is building an on campus stadium which will hold 50,000 people and that is costing almost $290 million dollars. I know thats a BCS school and they are getting state funding but really its about planning and committment they have. So in comparison I would say that $60 million dollars is pretty dang cheap compared to what others are paying.

Oh and if you want to take a look at the beautiful UM stadium here is the link.

TCF Bank Stadium

Watching a game in November in TCF Bank Stadium whether it's 29 Million or 290 Million would be miserable with the weather! I would much rather see the Mean Green play in their $60 Million new stadium!!!

I had hoped that this stadium would be promoted with the "Entertainment/Multipurpose/Music performance venue" idea kept in mind, with PART of an emphasis that our music program would be included in it's planning and it have a specific music performance friendly aspect built within it. Had that happened, maybe the Band and it's directors would have looked forward to seeing the promotions just as much as the rest of us had, and would have known ahead of time not to play during the halftime video during the Tulsa game? Not to even mention the support it would have gained from such a large influential part of our university. The music students need to realize that they will benefit from this facility as much as, if not more, than the athletes will. They will be gaining a state of the art, outdoor, performance venue in which countless thousands will attend to see them perform, and not just during football season. I can't fathom how anyone with any ties to the Mean Green Brigade, including the 1200 some odd music students, would not be excited about this new facility, other than the simple fact that it isn't being pointed out to them in this way?

Rick

Rick while this sounds good, it really isn't what helps a musician get a job in the real world. They already have those venues, the Recital Hall, the Murchison, and a football stadium isn't one of them. Now if you could bring in musical events like they do at Pizza Hut Park and that would help with revenue for the College of Music then you'd have something.

I don't think you could find a single music alum from NT that would say a new football stadium will help the value of their degree. That doesn't mean it's not good for the university, it just doesn't help them. There are several other degree plans where this is probably the case as well. The main thing to worry about on this issue is that the music student is very dedicated and also loyal to NT. Thus, if they were to feel they were getting this shoved down their throat, I could see them rallying against it. I don't think that's the case, but so far the arguments for it don't make sense from their perspective.

Most music students I've known didn't give a crap about football, but supported a good venue for the Marching Band. My wife has never been to a game where she wasn't on the field, and never paid attention to the actual sport.

Summary of a few recent points: IF the vote goes through and affects future students, they will have that information available when deciding whether or not to attend. If they are opposed to it, they have the ultimate "VOTE": not choosing to attend UNT. People partially done with their studies might have undue hardships transferring because of it, but future students can simply choose to go elsewhere. Therefore, the fee isn't "imposed" on them at all, as they will have the luxury of reviewing all of the fees prior to application, acceptance, orientation, enrollment, etc.

Rick while this sounds good, it really isn't what helps a musician get a job in the real world. They already have those venues, the Recital Hall, the Murchison, and a football stadium isn't one of them. Now if you could bring in musical events like they do at Pizza Hut Park and that would help with revenue for the College of Music then you'd have something.

And that's exactly the point. Yes, the Atlhetic Department is spearheading this campaign. But its UNT's stadium. It then becomes a valuble resource for SEVERAL departments, i.e. Music. Once that venue is in place, The School of Music (or anybody for that matter) could then spearhead their own cause to get a concert, a festival to benefit THEIR department, using this venue.

Honestly, IF, for some crazy reason, this stadium:

- could ONLY be used for Football Games

- would not bring notoriety & Publicity to UNT

- would not flexible enough for other events, i.e. either inside the stadium or on the large pedestrian plazas that surround the stadium.

- would not open up other real estate resources (i.e. where Fouts sits once it's removed)

Then I'm quite certain UNT wouldnt entertain the idea of building it. Period.

Edited by trud1966

Ooohh yeah, that's right, Flyer took the dive. Here's hoping it turns out better than my first (or second).

And yes, the Green Brigade loves most things about Football, Stadiums, etc. On at least one occasion, they got some financial help from Athletics to travel. Without UNT Football, the Green Brigade (one of our venerated College of Music's most visible and press-friendly outlets) wouldn't even exist.

Expanding on what I said above, most of my music friends can't recall the outcome of a single game, but still appreciate the program for what it does for the University.

Trud1966

And that's exactly the point. Yes, the Atlhetic Department is spearheading this campaign. But its UNT's stadium. It then becomes a valuble resource for SEVERAL departments, i.e. Music. Once that venue is in place, The School of Music (or anybody for that matter) could then spearhead their own cause to get a concert, a festival to benefit THEIR department, using this venue.

Honestly, IF, for some crazy reason, this stadium:

- could ONLY be used for Football Games

- would not bring notoriety & Publicity to UNT

- would not flexible enough for other events, i.e. either inside the stadium or on the large pedestrian plazas that surround the stadium.

- would not open up other real estate resources (i.e. where Fouts sits once it's removed)

Then I'm quite certain UNT wouldnt entertain the idea of building it. Period.

Exactly my point. Everyone could be and should be brought on board for this project. As explained to me by our president and several other members of leadership on campus, this stadium originally was to be dubbed as a "multi-use facility"(not just a football stadium), and music and music performance was to be kept within that mindset. Obviously, now, that isn't going to happen and I think it's a mistake.

By the way, anyone here who attended the K State game remember hearing anything other than a mumbling sound that resembled their band playing during the game while they were still in their seats on OUR side of the stadium? No, you probably don't. The accoustics are so bad at Snyder stadium, just like it usually is in every other stadium, that you couldn't hardly hear or recognize a thing being played unless you were hearing the sound bouncing off from another part of the stadium to the point you couldn't tell what it was, or you were sitting right next to the band. It's probably just me, but I saw this as an opportunity that North Texas could address and kill two "CROWS" with one stone. 1).Be the first to design and develop a music/accoustic friendly athletic venue that could be utilized in many different ways for the betterment of the university. 2). Bring our music pro's at the university into the fold and gain their full support(after all, who knows more about music than those teaching it at the University of North Texas?).

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Perhaps the stadium is not being presented so much as an all-encompassing venue based upon what happened with the last student vote. Students perceived that they were being misled, and this led to them voting down the stadium. At least that's how the scenario has been presented.

What about now? Ultimately, this is a football stadium we are looking to construct. Sure, there may be other occasional events there, but its design and primary function is to serve as a football stadium. Try telling students all these other functions the stadium will serve, and they just might believe they are being sold a bill of goods, and respond the way they did last time.

Perhaps the stadium is not being presented so much as an all-encompassing venue based upon what happened with the last student vote. Students perceived that they were being misled, and this led to them voting down the stadium. At least that's how the scenario has been presented.

What about now? Ultimately, this is a football stadium we are looking to construct. Sure, there may be other occasional events there, but its design and primary function is to serve as a football stadium. Try telling students all these other functions the stadium will serve, and they just might believe they are being sold a bill of goods, and respond the way they did last time.

You gotta point there.

Rick

I found this bit interesting:

Referendum would increase student fees

Kline said the SGA referendum would signal student support for a dedicated athletics fee that would take effect after the proposed stadium is constructed. NT's current athletics fee is $3 per credit hour, which comes directly from the student service fee.

The proposed athletics fee would increase that amount to $10. Kline said the fee likely would take effect after most current NT students have graduated.

North Texas is by far the lowest budgeted NCAA Division 1 Football Bowl Subdivision school in Texas because it has historically been underfunded by service fees. The lack of funding has made it very difficult for North Texas to be consistently successful. (that would be an understated opinion for many on campus)

Compare those modest fees listed above to dedicated athletics fees at other Texas schools which have aspirations to join North Texas in the Bowl Subdivision.

UTSA students passed their referendum to raise their dedicated athletics fee from $10 per credit hour to $20 per credit hour, capped at $240 per semester (12 hours).

UTSA Athletics Fee

Texas State students passed their referendum to raise their dedicated athletics fee from $10 per credit hour to $20 per credit hour, capped at $300 per semester (15 hours).

Texas State Athletics Fee

The dedicated athletics fees at these schools are being raised in increments starting immediately. Completed in 1952, the current stadium facilityat North Texas, Fouts Field, is deteriorating and needs to be replaced. The proposed North Texas fee will not even start until construction of a replacement stadium is completed, probably Fall 2011 at the earliest.

Even with the proposed increase, the student contribution at North Texas will still be half of what Texas schools which don't even yet have NCAA Division 1 Bowl Subdivision football are charging.

Additionally, by delaying the start of the fee until the completion of the stadium there will not be unexpected costs placed upon current students. Prospective students will be able to evaluate the fees at North Texas and other schools as factors when making their college selection. This makes it totally "fair" for North Texas students that enroll in the future.

Hopefully the Daily and the student body will realize the cost effectiveness of what's being proposed.

On the other hand, it seems a little unfair to impose a fee via student vote on kids who are currently sitting in middle/high school.

That argument is sort of unstable. Last I checked, those students who don't go here yet still have a choice (just like the ones that do go here now) whether or not they want to go / continue to go to NT.

Jacqueline Giroir

posted 9/17/08 @ 3:27 PM CST

I am the College of Music representative in the SGA Student Senate and last week we got the privilege of hearing a presentation on the stadium made by Mr. Villareal. There were a few things that I wanted to add and reiterate that we learned in the presentation...

- We would be the first collegiate "green" stadium which would give us some national recognition on the science front, etc...

- it seems as if people who are against the stadium are forgetting that this stadium is not just for the football team. It can be used as a venue for on-campus organizations' events and also it could be a stadium where high school marching band competitions are held...therefore attracting younger people to UNT before they are even applying to college...it's all about getting UNT's name out there

- A&M, for example, always has prominent people (state political figures, donors, etc) coming to their games and sitting with the President in the box...with a new and nicer stadium Gretchen Bataille and UNT could feel proud about showing off our school to people... if we can entertain these people and show them how nice and how much spirit UNT has then we have the possibility to receive more donations and to leave a lasting impression on people who can possibly help us (financially or any way) in the future

- many high school football stadiums nowadays are quite beautiful and new (especially in the football state of Texas) . How are we going to recruit good players who are coming from playing in these facilities to Fouts Field? They will not want to come here and play. We have the right coach now all we need is the right facility and other great players.

-most colleges' athletic fees are between $10-$12 per semester credit hour and some of these schools don't even have a football team... right now UNT's is $3 per semester credit hour... that is incredibly meager for a school with a Division 1-A football team

- Fouts is deteriorating... it will not be functional much longer. It is not ADA approved and takes almost 20 generators to be up and running. Last week UNT was to play LSU in LA however with the hurricane LSU had asked to play here.. however we could physically not have the game at Fouts because we could not get the generators up and working and get Fouts ready for a game that quickly.

I urge you all to learn more about the issue and ask any questions. I believe that the new stadium is something that could be really beneficial for UNT. It is so much more than a facility for our football team to play in... it is a stepping stone in getting UNT the recognition it deserves as a prestigious university.

Now, that (what I bolded) is just pathetic. We could have hosted LSU, on campus, had the generators been ready?

Now, that (what I bolded) is just pathetic. We could have hosted LSU, on campus, had the generators been ready?

again how much of that can one actually believe??? Wish UNTFlyer was at the meeting to discuss what was shown.

The bolded section seems odd and out of place, LSU would never agree to play at Fouts, Texas Stadium or Cotton Bowl yes, but never Fouts.

again how much of that can one actually believe??? Wish UNTFlyer was at the meeting to discuss what was shown.

The bolded section seems odd and out of place, LSU would never agree to play at Fouts, Texas Stadium or Cotton Bowl yes, but never Fouts.

I was at the meeting where Rick discussed this. Whether LSU would have ever agreed to a game at UNT is up for debate, but it is a certainty that even if they considered the idea, we could not have been able to host the game on such short notice due to the generator situation.