Stay Positive

the real grad88

I was disappointed with the loss, but I saw a lot of positive signs from this team. How many freshman played in that game? Look how well they did against a truly good team. I think Tulsa could beat Kansas State. They are a solid and veteran team all the way around. I saw a team that did not quit. I also saw some young players get some much needed experience for conference play. I think that by the time conference play rolls around, we will be a team to contend with. I know that so many on this board constantly measure this program against BigXII schools, but that is a mistake and only leads to defeatism. I think I have heard enough of the "we suck" description. Some of you may, but this team does not. We need to hang with this team and with Dodge. To any player reading this board, you need to know that we are proud of your effort and pride in your school. Results WILL COME!

I was disappointed with the loss, but I saw a lot of positive signs from this team. How many freshman played in that game? Look how well they did against a truly good team. I think Tulsa could beat Kansas State. They are a solid and veteran team all the way around. I saw a team that did not quit. I also saw some young players get some much needed experience for conference play. I think that by the time conference play rolls around, we will be a team to contend with. I know that so many on this board constantly measure this program against BigXII schools, but that is a mistake and only leads to defeatism. I think I have heard enough of the "we suck" description. Some of you may, but this team does not. We need to hang with this team and with Dodge. To any player reading this board, you need to know that we are proud of your effort and pride in your school. Results WILL COME!

THANK YOU! For once, someone is keeping the positivity up. I flat out agree with you.

Yeah, this team is coming around. 360 degrees.

With moves like burning the redshirt of your QB of the future because you were thin at slow receiver, we don't need to hang with this team - it's hanging itself.

Riley Dodge did not need experience for conference play because Riley Dodge should not be involved in conference play - or any other play - this year. He is supposed to be your QB of the future, so you get him ready for when he takes over from Vizza. That means redshirting him this year.

I'm a long time season-ticket holder. I will be there this year and the next. I will continue to support UNT sports. But that doesn't mean we should all wear blinders and ignore a short-sighted decision or last night's dreadful performance. Positives, in the second half? You mean, AFTER North Texas gave up 42 points in one half, at home? That's progress? This is not measurement against the Big 12, this is measurement against a CUSA team, a conference we talk about trying to join. And that CUSA team just lit us up like OU did. I can excuse the OU debacle because it was against a superpower, on the road, in Dodge's first game. I'm cannot excuse last night.

even with the slow start, i trust coach dodge. he NEVER said riley would redshirt. in fact, he's ALWAYS said that when he meets with freshmen he tells the to expect to play because he just wants to get the best players on the field. that includes riley. riley knows the offense better than anyone and can probably play any position.

if you don't agree with him getting the best athletes on the field, then that's what you're upset about. riley is one of our best athletes so under t.dodge's philosophy, he should play.

even with the slow start, i trust coach dodge. he NEVER said riley would redshirt. in fact, he's ALWAYS said that when he meets with freshmen he tells the to expect to play because he just wants to get the best players on the field. that includes riley. riley knows the offense better than anyone and can probably play any position.

if you don't agree with him getting the best athletes on the field, then that's what you're upset about. riley is one of our best athletes so under t.dodge's philosophy, he should play.

No one has said that Dodge said he was going to redshirt Riley. But with a very good QB in place as just a sophomore and with a load of quality wide receivers that this coach and this staff have recruited, it makes absolutely no sense to burn a year of eligibility of your quarterback of the future.

Perspective:

It sucks that we have to open with:

1. a team that will challenge for the Big 12 North if not win the thing with that solid D and awesome QB

2. a team that will challenge to take the road of Utah, Boise State and Hawaii - by name Tulsa is just Tulsa - by play they are very near solid BCS conference caliber

3. well a team that is going to be ready to explode after having to take an unexpected break from football at the beginning of September! Oh yeah, and they won the national championship this year!

Do I expect us to compete against Rice - yes. Was I wrecked last night - yes. Did more beer help - yes. Will we compete in the Belt - yes. Could we compete in CUSA outside of ECU and Tulsa - yes. Could we compete against the WAC outside of Boise State and Fresno - yes. Are we going to leave Fouts happy one night this year - hopefully October 4th.

GMG

Perspective:

1. a team that will challenge for the Big 12 North if not win the thing with that solid D and awesome QB

2. a team that will challenge to take the road of Utah, Boise State and Hawaii - by name Tulsa is just Tulsa - by play they are very near solid BCS conference caliber

3. well a team that is going to be ready to explode after having to take an unexpected break from football at the beginning of September! Oh yeah, and they won the national championship this year!

Do I expect us to compete against Rice - yes. Was I wrecked last night - yes. Did more beer help - yes. Will we compete in the Belt - yes. Could we compete in CUSA outside of ECU and Tulsa - yes. Could we compete against the WAC outside of Boise State and Fresno - yes. Are we going to leave Fouts happy one night this year - hopefully October 4th.

GMG

Did you see the passing game that Tulsa put on this team? Guess what, Rice will do the same. You are fooling yourself if you think we have a shot against Rice.

I am still behind Dodge and what he is trying to do, but we are miles away from where we need to be to be able to compete with teams outside of the upper top of the Belt teams. This is a bad team and it is going to take a lot of time. I thought we win 4 games this season, but as I look through the schedule, I am having a hard time finding more than 3.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I trust Dodge. I trust his judgment. I trust his recruits to get us where we all want to go. I trust that a new stadium is coming (no highjacks please). I trust the future for this team and program. I like Dodge's attitude and what he projects on campus within the entire UNT community. He is the man, and we need to give him time to get it done. Someone said those sophomores should be leaders. They are becoming leaders and by the middle of the season, when the conference championship is on the line, they will become leaders....if we don't have too many negative deadheads bringing them down. How much disappointment and negativity can a 19 year old young man deal with and become his full potential. We need to be positive even if our green covered glasses are in the trash can.

We can talk about young sophomores growing up and leading all we want but we've got a bunch of older grown folks who are placing their own self esteem in the hands of a bunch of kids. It is ridiculous. The problem is that many of us have the UNT syndrome. We have been the butt of so many jokes at the water cooler for so long and we want redemption so badly that we project all of that negativity on this program when it doesn't do what we hope.

Let's shape up and tell these kids that we believe they are going to be the best. There is a LOT of talent out there on that field and as soon as they can put it together as a team, all of our dreams are going to be realized! Don't send Dodge or call him (or RV) with a complaint. Don't bring the man down. Lift him up. No one wants championships for this program more than Dodge, I can assure you. And another thing, he wouldn't put his son in if he didn't think he could give a spark to this team. I don't know about you, but I saw a spark...and soon it will catch flame and turn into a roaring blaze.

Have some of you forgotten that this is Todd Dodge's second season with this team? Have you forgotten that this team was left with almost nothing from the prior administration? Have you forgotten that thereis very little senior leadership on this team?

The best is yet to come but we have to give them at least one more season. By midway through this season we should start to see some upward movement and we should have some viable hope to hang our hats on.

Perspective:

GMG

I know you intend to be a cup half full person, but if you think KSU is a Big 12 North contender, I hope you'll put your money where your mouth is 'cause Mizzou and Kansas will both kick their ass probably along with Nebraska. When ULM throws away a win against AK, MTSU beats MD,Arkie ST whips A $ M, and even FIU plays more competitively against much better competition than we have faced ( by the way didn't we end their 26 game losing skid when our coaches said "they just had better atheletes"?) what is there to look forward to about playing our SBC schedule? The SBC passed us up four years ago and we are now further from competing than we were then!

I know you intend to be a cup half full person, but if you think KSU is a Big 12 North contender, I hope you'll put your money where your mouth is 'cause Mizzou and Kansas will both kick their ass probably along with Nebraska. When ULM throws away a win against AK, MTSU beats MD,Arkie ST whips A $ M, and even FIU plays more competitively against much better competition than we have faced ( by the way didn't we end their 26 game losing skid when our coaches said "they just had better atheletes"?) what is there to look forward to about playing our SBC schedule? The SBC passed us up four years ago and we are now further from competing than we were then!

Now, I know how Moses felt.

What these kids need is time. When our current Freshmen and Sophomores become Juniors and Seniors we have a chance to be pretty good. Until then it is going to be pretty bumpy as these players grow up. At times it will be downright ugly. Growth takes time. Our coaching staff and players both need time to find out what has to be done to compete at the Division One level. I just hope it happens.

What these kids need is time. When our current Freshmen and Sophomores become Juniors and Seniors we have a chance to be pretty good. Until then it is going to be pretty bumpy as these players grow up. At times it will be downright ugly. Growth takes time. Our coaching staff and players both need time to find out what has to be done to compete at the Division One level. I just hope it happens.

Wasn't it like 3 years before Dickey's "miracle" recruiting class kicked into gear and we started seeing the results in the multiple NOBowls and SBC rings? Even in schools that are already established, you don't often see the results of a recruiting class for a year or two.

I think the point is that this KSU team has crap loads of talent but tons of "but-what-ifs" to blend in. Enough talent to whoop Texas butt, but seems to just fall apart at the end of the season, a la last year.

I think a more appropriate label for those Wildcats is the North's most feared spoiler.

I challenge you to stay as positive as you are, for the duration, but realize, I need you to be positve for at least another 3 years, because that is the very least amount of time it will take to see probably a .500 record.

I challenge you to stay as positive as you are, for the duration, but realize, I need you to be positve for at least another 3 years, because that is the very least amount of time it will take to see probably a .500 record.

That's fine. People did that before the big SBC/NOBowl run and it worked out.

Again, skilled vets vs. young players...you tell me who has the advantage.

I saw some good defensive plays - sacks, defensive pressure, and some good hits. I also saw the blown coverages and slipped tackles. Also saw good stuff on Offense too, but I also saw the bad. I still trust Dodge. This isn't like Dickey where he's had 6 years to get established and have multiple strong recruiting classes, then basically throws the last 2 years. This is someone who's just now STARTING their 2nd season.

I saw some good defensive plays - sacks, defensive pressure, and some good hits. I also saw the blown coverages and slipped tackles. Also saw good stuff on Offense too, but I also saw the bad. I still trust Dodge. This isn't like Dickey where he's had 6 years to get established and have multiple strong recruiting classes, then basically throws the last 2 years. This is someone who's just now STARTING their 2nd season.

Make no mistake, I am still 100% behind Dodge. It is just going to take a lot of time. I am prepared for it to take a while, but I am used to it.

Thank you for some sanity.