4th And Long, 9 Minutes Left In The 3rd

greenminer

I think it was about the 9 minute mark in the 3rd. Wildcats have the ball about the 20 yard line. Up 28-0 and we force them to a 3 and out. What do they do?

They went for it, not only converting but I think they hit the TD to put them up 35-0.

Also, a minute left in the game and they just got the first down they needed to take the subsequent kneels and end our misery. What does Ron Prince do with a 45-6 game in hand? They keep playing.

Third stringers need reps. Understand that and all. But this?

Really had me scratching me head and questioning Prince's motives. There was nothing to gain by beating us by an additional 7.

Thoughts?

our job to stop them - everyone makes weird moves now and then.

I was at that awful game where we routed Ark State at Fouts during the glory years and we did the silly grenade in the endzone. I hated that because it felt disrespectful and I didn't like seeing people having their faces rubbed in the turf.

It all evens out and one day we will have to call off the dogs.

GMG

I was listening to the game, and was furious that with 15 seconds left in the game, and with KS ahead 42-6, they were throwing into the endzone.

I don't agree with Prince's move, but have to note a reply above: some coaches are what they are.

I'll take from this that Ron Prince is the Big XII's other Mike Leach, in that regard anyway.

This is more of a message to Todd Dodge than to UNT.

Just curious, what was the message?

When I saw them throwing toward the endzone I was puzzled then I got a little upset when he brought the field goal unit in for 3 more points with 11 seconds left. Someone said the kicker needs practice. (Please)

Then I thought more about it. Prince brought the 2nd team in pretty early in the 2nd half. Our D did a good job of stopping them for the most part. I'm sure their 2nd team was getting chewed pretty hard for not moving the ball. My thought at the end was that they responded, moved the ball down the field and Prince tried to reward them by giving them a chance to score.

I think it was about the 9 minute mark in the 3rd. Wildcats have the ball about the 20 yard line. Up 28-0 and we force them to a 3 and out. What do they do?

They went for it, not only converting but I think they hit the TD to put them up 35-0.

Also, a minute left in the game and they just got the first down they needed to take the subsequent kneels and end our misery. What does Ron Prince do with a 45-6 game in hand? They keep playing.

Really had me scratching me head and questioning Prince's motives. There was nothing to gain by beating us by an additional 7.

Thoughts?

TOTALLY AGREE!!! Over the last 7 minutes of the game, Prince kept the throttle on and kept trying to score all the way to 7 seconds left when they kicked the field goal. I don't care who the opponent, what the situation may be or any thing else, there is absolutely NO EXSCUSE for disrespecting an opponent. He treated the last 7 minutes as if it were a scrimmage. Total BS, total lack of class. In fact, Prince just insured his team of bad Karma for the 2008 season. This will come back to haunt him/team somewhere down this season's road. Mark my words!

our job to stop them - everyone makes weird moves now and then.

I was at that awful game where we routed Ark State at Fouts during the glory years and we did the silly grenade in the endzone. I hated that because it felt disrespectful and I didn't like seeing people having their faces rubbed in the turf.

It all evens out and one day we will have to call off the dogs.

GMG

Stoops said the same thing when they played A&M a few years back that it was the other teams job to stop him from running up the score. I on the otherhand have a hard time with it. Most teams we have played have not done this and has showed class.

As for the Ark State game at Fouts. Yes that was not good. If I remember right we ran up the score in response to some comments made about UNT by the ASU coach. We won that game something like 58-14 and had something like 175 yards in penalties (most of them celebration). Even with what their coach said I think the opposing coach must rise above it and play with class.

Not that I like being on this end of it, but I have nothing against a team that pours it on till the last second. I do believe it is in both teams interest to play to the end, I think it is more disrespectful to let up on a team because you fell sorry for them. In the rankings game points scored help out teams in the polls or at least that is my understanding.

Thoughts?

Usually I disagree with this type of play from teams, but this time I appreciated it. They didn't give us an inch, 45-6 is exactly how much worse we are than KSU, they didn't change their game plan and start kneeling on th ball. I think this option is better than teams/coaches basically feeling sorry for us and letting up. If you've ever had an opponent pitty you and play half ass, then you know that feeling sucks too and in my opinion is worse than someone running up the score. I like having an actual score and not a score that people can say it could have been way worse. The only way this score could have been worse is if the KSU starters would have stayed on the field. This gives us an accurate measuring stick of our team and lets us know what and how much we need to work on.

Not that I like being on this end of it, but I have nothing against a team that pours it on till the last second. I do believe it is in both teams interest to play to the end, I think it is more disrespectful to let up on a team because you fell sorry for them. In the rankings game points scored help out teams in the polls or at least that is my understanding.

Totally agree with your statement. Play till the end, and respect the game and your opponent. I'd rather have our guys get a few more looks full speed than stand around and watch someone run the clock out, even if it does result in a bloated score.

Usually I disagree with this type of play from teams, but this time I appreciated it. They didn't give us an inch, 45-6 is exactly how much worse we are than KSU, they didn't change their game plan and start kneeling on th ball. I think this option is better than teams/coaches basically feeling sorry for us and letting up. If you've ever had an opponent pitty you and play half ass, then you know that feeling sucks too and in my opinion is worse than someone running up the score. I like having an actual score and not a score that people can say it could have been way worse. The only way this score could have been worse is if the KSU starters would have stayed on the field. This gives us an accurate measuring stick of our team and lets us know what and how much we need to work on.

Generally, I have to agree with those here who have said that it's ok to keep trying to score late in the game, especially since that gives a chance for the reserves to put some points on the board. I do think it was kind of pointless to kick the field goal because: (1. ) The kicker had already gotten 6 points on PAT, and the field goal wasn't much longer than an extra point attempt, and (2.) There's always a chance that running a play can result in a player getting hurt, with the players on field goal kicking units often being hard to replace.

That being said, these kinds of things will happen, as D1 college football is played as a high stakes rankings game for post-season bowl invitations, if nothing else. I think that the takeaway for North Texas football is to become proficient in all aspects of special teams play, and start scoring more points, including field goads; point after kicks must become routinely successful.

I didn't have a problem with taking shots at the Endzone at all, the FG may have been in bad taste, but whatever. If it had been their starters in at that point, going for the Endzone would have been excessive, but the way I see it going with the 2nd stringers is the same as going with a kneel down.

Edited by Green P1

No problem at all with them going for it on 4th and long in the 3rd quarter. There was still a lot of football to be played, and they had every right to ensure a win.

The end of game stuff, however, was weak. They proved nothing by airing it out for the endzone, and kicking a meaningless field goal. Ron Prince is a young coach, though, so I'll allow him a few years to cultivate some class.

No problem at all with them going for it on 4th and long in the 3rd quarter. There was still a lot of football to be played, and they had every right to ensure a win.

The end of game stuff, however, was weak. They proved nothing by airing it out for the endzone, and kicking a meaningless field goal. Ron Prince is a young coach, though, so I'll allow him a few years to cultivate some class.

Expecting class cultivation in Manhattan is like saying you're gonna get a CVS pharmacy up on Fry Street.

The FG showed no class. What did it prove? Not many coaches would have kicked a FG with 15 sec. left? He might get his when them come to Denton.

I don't consider kicking a field goal to make it 45 instead of 42 running up the score. Now last season in Norman when Stoops put 79 points on the board is a different story.