Week One

Rudy

This thread is for all who want to overreact/jump ship after Week 1

Yes it was as ugly as tulsafanintexas' mother, but they are a BCS conference member. It could have been worse, and it did sound like some improvements/adjustments were made.

Nevertheless, here is a thread for those who want to overreact. Just please dont jump from the Mockingbird Bridge, 75 is still shut down from all of the SMU donors last night.

I don't know how many more seasons I can take where we're not even remotely competitive in out-of-conference games. As much as I hate to say this, DickeyBall is starting to look better and better. Bring back the black uniforms!

Dickey was not competetive in out-of-conference games. When he had his period of success, he won the games he was supposed to win. If you want to win an occasional surprise OOC game at the expense of a couple lesser games, I think the Simon era is the one you want.

Thought that a win tonight was remote; all I wanted was to see us be competitive. We dropped the soap!

I do not like to see us not show up year after year for games against good competition.

Thought that a win tonight was remote; all I wanted was to see us be competitive. We dropped the soap!

I do not like to see us not show up year after year for games against good competition.

Well unfortunately it is going to take a while to get our defense back up to speed. Dodge is going to have to allow DeLoach the ability to bring in more of "his" guys as coaches and then go out and get players and that will just take time. Not sure exactly where or what happened tonight to our offense, but it should be back next week. Next week we SHOULD see a lot of points, but that Tulsa QB has to be licking his chops.

Well unfortunately it is going to take a while to get our defense back up to speed. Dodge is going to have to allow DeLoach the ability to bring in more of "his" guys as coaches and then go out and get players and that will just take time. Not sure exactly where or what happened tonight to our offense, but it should be back next week. Next week we SHOULD see a lot of points, but that Tulsa QB has to be licking his chops.

Totally agree regarding the defense. And, losing the 2 DE's due to academics certainly did not help things.

Offensively, I was completely shocked at our subpar performance. I did expect some fireworks out of the offense. They will rebound.

For the 2nd year in a row, Arkansas St took it to a Big 12 power. It is a little upsetting when we cannot be more competitive against similar competition.

Oh well, I predicted a 3 or 4 win season before it started. This game certainly does not change that prediction. I still look forward to a very entertaining season as the team continues to improve.

The truth off the matter is football is won in the trenches. Our offensive and defensive lines aren't big or experienced enough to be effective, much less dominating. I don't care what offense you run, if you don't create lanes you can't move the ball. Defensive lines have to get a good push and tackle. Our next couple of recruiting classes better consist of some beef!

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!

The truth off the matter is football is won in the trenches. Our offensive and defensive lines aren't big or experienced enough to be effective, much less dominating. I don't care what offense you run, if you don't create lanes you can't move the ball. Defensive lines have to get a good push and tackle. Our next couple of recruiting classes better consist of some beef!

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that I (as well as others) were saying "where's the beef?" during this last recruitment season when everyone else on this board was salavating over WR and DB committments.

Granted, we have better play from our DB's, but a lot of recruitment energy was spent recruiting WR's (and DB's), when our only TD last night was scored by a WALK-ON WR.

And yes, we got some beef from our Juco players from Mississippi. But after they arrived, it turned out to be more blubber than beef.

I don't know how many more seasons I can take where we're not even remotely competitive in out-of-conference games.

I've crossed the LSU game off of my schedule, and I'm going to pretend like it doesn't exist. No more paycheck games for me until we show any interest in competing.

Look at the margin of victory for some of the other SBC vs. Big 12 games

FAU loses by 42

La-Mo loses by 34

FIU loses by 30

This was K-State. We all knew deep down it was a going to be a loss, and probably a big one.

Big Difference the 3 teams above were playing Top 10 teams, we were playing a rebuilding middle of the road Big 12 team, much like

Arky State who went in punched A&M in the jaw, unlike Dodge and company.

Yeah, that concerns me. But KSU was pretty competitive last year until the last 4 games, which were against some stiff competition.

MGW, I am so confused by your signature line (except the Dodge and graduation parts).

Guest GrayEagleOne

Look at the margin of victory for some of the other SBC vs. Big 12 games

FAU loses by 42

La-Mo loses by 34

FIU loses by 30

This was K-State. We all knew deep down it was a going to be a loss, and probably a big one.

Nice try, Flyer. What you didn't mention is that those losses were to the #10, 11, and 14 rated teams in the nation. We lost by 39 (it could have been much more) to a team that hasn't had a single vote in any poll that I'm aware of.

What's more, we were never in this game. Did I expect us to lose? Yes, but by 17, tops.

We've talked about winning or losing in the trenches. I don't think that the lines, especially the o-line, caused us to lose this game. We had a decent rushing average of 4 yards per carry, in spite of some yards lost. I believe that I heard that Vizza was sacked twice as a result of an all-out blitz. You can't expect five linemen to block as many as seven rushing players.

One more thing while I'm venting. I've received some confidential information so I don't want to name any names except to say that I know whose fault it wasn't. To use the modern vernacular, our special teams coaching sucks. I believe that we were tripled in kickoff return average. We were near the bottom of that category last year and we may drop even lower this year with better talent.

Hopefully, next week we'll play like we're capable of and I can quit feeling low but for now I can walk, not crawl, under a snake. I keep having flashes back to 2005 when we failed to answer the last 52 points scored by Tulsa. If it becomes reality again, I may go to Mockingbird bridge.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Nice try, Flyer. What you didn't mention is that those losses were to the #10, 11, and 14 rated teams in the nation. We lost by 39 (it could have been much more) to a team that hasn't had a single vote in any poll that I'm aware of.

What's more, we were never in this game. Did I expect us to lose? Yes, but by 17, tops.

We've talked about winning or losing in the trenches. I don't think that the lines, especially the o-line, caused us to lose this game. We had a decent rushing average of 4 yards per carry, in spite of some yards lost. I believe that I heard that Vizza was sacked twice as a result of an all-out blitz. You can't expect five linemen to block as many as seven rushing players.

One more thing while I'm venting. I've received some confidential information so I don't want to neme any names except to say that I know whose fault it wasn't. To use the modern vernacular, our special teams coaching sucks. I believe that we were tripled in kickoff return average. We were near the bottom of that category last year in that category and we may drop even lower this year with better talent.

Hopefully, next week we'll play like we're capable of and I can quit feeling low but for now I can walk, not crawl, under a snake. I keep having flashes back to 2005 when we failed to answer the last 52 points scored by Tulsa.

If it becomes reality again, I may go to Mockingbird bridge.

Generally, it seems pointless to look back at decisions, but one guy Adler mentioned as someone to hire was the guy (Jeff Rogers), formerly of UNT, and part of the special teams coaching for the SF 49ers at the time, we were lacking linebacker AND special teams coaching (in terms of results, anyway). I certainly would have liked to see him at North Texas; don't always agree with Adler, but did at that time.

Someone back then asked why someone would consider moving to Denton from SF. Probably for the same reason he moved to Manhattan; better pay and a move up the career ladder. One thing UNT has to get over is something I can only think of as an inferiority complex; that no person of talent would come here given other choices. Not true: people of great talent have come, gone, and returned to Denton. It's a pleasant community with considerable amenities. I feel confident in describing North Texas likewise. It does seem odd that there's little mention here (maybe there is in other media) about a City the size of Denton having TWO universities of the size and tradition of UNT and TWU.

However, I would personally like to see people on this board refrain from bemoaning the high profile of the Music and other programs which HAVE had greater success. Is the way to achieve greater success for the program(s) we wish to succeed, mainly football, basketball (mens' and womens'), and other athletic programs, to be found in breeding resentment against our more successful academic and extracurricular programs? Just a question that's occurred to me on occasions.

e-I'm right there with you, just as I felt it was silly when students say "We should put that money towards a new library"..."program xyz"...whatever. A couple of friends of mine used that when they ran for SGA Pres/VP. I told them, it's totally separate parts of the school-different funding types, different approval needed, different EVERYTHING. The response? "I know that, but most students don't, so I don't mind them still thinking that way if it helps me win." It's stupid to create an "us vs. them" attitude between different areas of our alma mater.

edit: Yes, they lost. To other friends of mine who are more "traditionally spirited".

Edited by JesseMartin