Win-loss For Unt In 2008

untjim1995

With two weeks to go before the opener in Manhattan, KS, what are your predictions for this year's record, both OOC and SBC play (including Western Kentucky here). I say the following:

1-3 in OOC (win vs. Rice)

4-4 in SBC (wins over FIU, ULL, Western Kentucky, and Arky State)

5-7--more than double what we did last year and moving forward toward 2009 and 2010 with a very bright future. This year could be worse than 5-7 if the DLine is really as thin as it sounds and if the OLine doesn't jell. But, DeLoach will help long-term on the defensive side, which makes 2009 and 2010 seem so bright, and Vizza should really be in a groove in this offense in his Junior and Senior years.

My biggest fear is that too many will feel like 5-7 will be a bad year, but with where we have been over the last three years and the roster being so young, that is acceptable to me for now. If we do better than this, I think Dodge will have done the best job of coaching at UNT in some time. Just my $.02.

With two weeks to go before the opener in Manhattan, KS, what are your predictions for this year's record, both OOC and SBC play (including Western Kentucky here). I say the following:

1-3 in OOC (win vs. Rice)

4-4 in SBC (wins over FIU, ULL, Western Kentucky, and Arky State)

5-7--more than double what we did last year and moving forward toward 2009 and 2010 with a very bright future. This year could be worse than 5-7 if the DLine is really as thin as it sounds and if the OLine doesn't jell. But, DeLoach will help long-term on the defensive side, which makes 2009 and 2010 seem so bright, and Vizza should really be in a groove in this offense in his Junior and Senior years.

My biggest fear is that too many will feel like 5-7 will be a bad year, but with where we have been over the last three years and the roster being so young, that is acceptable to me for now. If we do better than this, I think Dodge will have done the best job of coaching at UNT in some time. Just my $.02.

That is a good assessment of where I think 5 wins will come from. I really don't see this team winning anymore than 5 or 6 games. Anymore than that will just be bonus.

I've been saying 5-7 since the DeLoach return was announced and the last signing class was wrapped up. I figured a reasonably decent improvement on defense would have to get us 3 additional wins to last year's total easily. However, after the losses at DE I am not so sure how improved we will be. I expect a major improvement in the secondary, but our DL will not be as talented. I'll go ahead and stick with 5-7, but now I think I'm shooting high rather than low.

After looking at the schedule, I agree that these will be the five wins this season.

Is Monroe going to be a big threat this year? I have them down for another one of our wins, maybe I am greedy but I am hoping for a scratch season or better.

Edited by KingDL1

I WAS going to lurk and not jump in here but...what the hell. I commend ya'll for being realistic but IMHO this thread is a tad pessimistic. It IS hard to fathom a big leap in wins after where we've been. That said, my opinion is that our offense is going to rain points on people this year, which will cover a multitude of defensive sins. GD doesn't walk on water, but he knows where the rocks are and will mold our talent into a respectable defense. Special teams will be much better; we'll have speed on the coverage, a great punter, and offensively we apparently have a quality kicker. The offense is ready to explode on any given day.

My fearless prediction:

OOC - L K-State (competitive), W Tulsa, L LSU, W Rice = 2 & 2

Conf - W FIU, W LaLa, W LaMo, L Troy (competitive), W WKU, L FAU (competitive), W MUTS, W ArkieSt = 6 & 2

Season COULD easily be 8 - 4. With a few breaks and plays we could have been a bit better (record-wise) LAST season.

PASS the Kool-Aid!

Tulsa - Loss, a very close game and could even go into overtime. This game I wouldn't miss, because it could possibly be the game of the season.

LSU - Loss, I hope we can keep it respectable and I would like to see us within 21 points

Rice - Win, we will come into this game in the top ten in offense and this one will be the coming out game for the defense.

FIU - Win, a spanking and a shut-out for the defense.

ULL - Win, this game is when both offense and defense start to gel at the same time.

ULM - Loss, unfortunately we have had three solid wins and are riding high, but we have to be humbled and this game I am afraid will humble us.

Troy - Win, the big upset of the year!

Western Kentucky - Win, The spank'n of the year.

FAU - Loss, this is a close game, but we have never done well in the state of FL.

Middle Tenn. - Loss, this could go either way and I really hope it comes out a winner, but this late in the season with two big away games will take a lot out of the team.

ASU - Win, last game, big game, ASU might be in the hunt for the conference championship and we have reorganized and are ready to get a big win at home for the year.

We are going 6-5 and this year the Eagles will start to get some national recognition.

Tulsa - Loss, a very close game and could even go into overtime. This game I wouldn't miss, because it could possibly be the game of the season.

LSU - Loss, I hope we can keep it respectable and I would like to see us within 21 points

Rice - Win, we will come into this game in the top ten in offense and this one will be the coming out game for the defense.

FIU - Win, a spanking and a shut-out for the defense.

ULL - Win, this game is when both offense and defense start to gel at the same time.

ULM - Loss, unfortunately we have had three solid wins and are riding high, but we have to be humbled and this game I am afraid will humble us.

Troy - Win, the big upset of the year!

Western Kentucky - Win, The spank'n of the year.

FAU - Loss, this is a close game, but we have never done well in the state of FL.

Middle Tenn. - Loss, this could go either way and I really hope it comes out a winner, but this late in the season with two big away games will take a lot out of the team.

ASU - Win, last game, big game, ASU might be in the hunt for the conference championship and we have reorganized and are ready to get a big win at home for the year.

We are going 6-5 and this year the Eagles will start to get some national recognition.

Forgetting Kansas State?

I WAS going to lurk and not jump in here but...what the hell. I commend ya'll for being realistic but IMHO this thread is a tad pessimistic. It IS hard to fathom a big leap in wins after where we've been. That said, my opinion is that our offense is going to rain points on people this year, which will cover a multitude of defensive sins. GD doesn't walk on water, but he knows where the rocks are and will mold our talent into a respectable defense. Special teams will be much better; we'll have speed on the coverage, a great punter, and offensively we apparently have a quality kicker. The offense is ready to explode on any given day.

My fearless prediction:

OOC - L K-State (competitive), W Tulsa, L LSU, W Rice = 2 & 2

Conf - W FIU, W LaLa, W LaMo, L Troy (competitive), W WKU, L FAU (competitive), W MUTS, W ArkieSt = 6 & 2

Season COULD easily be 8 - 4. With a few breaks and plays we could have been a bit better (record-wise) LAST season.

PASS the Kool-Aid!

I agree with this assessment. This is what I have been thinking for awhile. I think as long as we don't have the worst d in the history of college ball again, which we won't, there is no reason we can't beat anybody this year, excluding lsu. The belt has gotten better, but they are NOT head and shoulders above us. We also get the special privelige of not having the bullseye on our backs.

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna drop a hundred on us to win the conf. Have you seen those odds?

Our offense will continue to score points and move the ball as for our defense, it'll be a huge turn around from last year. Having said that, I'm predicting 6-6 this year.

@ KSU - L

Tulsa - W

@ LSU - L

@ Rice - W

FIU - W

ULALA - L

@ ULM - W

Troy - L

@ WKU - W

@ FAU - L

@ MUTS - L

ARK ST - W

Our offense will continue to score points and move the ball as for our defense, it'll be a huge turn around from last year. Having said that, I'm predicting 6-6 this year.

@ KSU - L

Tulsa - W

@ LSU - L

@ Rice - W

FIU - W

ULALA - L

@ ULM - W

Troy - L

@ WKU - W

@ FAU - L

@ MUTS - L

ARK ST - W

Our defense will be better than last year, but it won't be able to stop Tulsa's offense.

I expect 3-9, but would not be surprised by 5-7 (adding winnables Rice and WKU to the win list). DeLoach coming back to guide the defense will be a factor in improving, but he doesn't have the cast of characters he did in 2001 and 2002. It took him a few seasons to build that tough 2002 defense. Now is no different. Too much inexperience on the defensive side of the ball this year.

On the offensive side, we'll be fine if Dodge can resist the temptation to monkey with Vizza. Vizza is proven and will again be hooking up with Casey Fitzgerald, Brock Stickler, and Sam Dibrell. Micah Mosely and Cam Montgomery will do well, but the offensive line depth will hurt us in the end. Dodge must turn to recruiting linemen this year or he will flame out before his contract is up.

Overall, the games will be closer than last year, and I believe we'll have a winning record at home. However, getting over five wins is going to be asking alot of this group. In 2009, however, there will be no excuse for not contending for the Sun Belt title. Key opponents will have lost senior QBs while Vizza will be a battle-hardened junior...if, if, if Dodge can resist the urge to put in his son too soon! Dodge, Jr. should be redshirting the 2008 campaign while Vizza leads the way and the experienced Meager backs up for his final season. If Todd Dodge can't see that...well...everyone will have vastly overrated his knowledge as a football coach.

Game 1 at Kansas State: KSU 45, UNT 21

It doesn't really matter that KSU has a bunch of JUCO guys coming in. On the offensive side of the ball, they have plenty coming back. Their veteran offensive line wears our fledgling defensive line down in the third quarter to break away.

Game 2 Tulsa: TU 41, UNT 34

This is a game of two spread offenses. Tulsa had a bad defense on the road last year, but still managed to outscore most opponent in the way to a CUSA Championship appearance and a 63-7 beating of Bowling Green in the GMAC Bowl. TU is still a few seasons ahead of us. Our new defensive backs get their first real look at a spread team.

Game 3 at LSU: LSU 45, UNT 19

It's LSU. They will be coming off a game with Troy and preparing for the game the next week at Auburn. They get up on us early, then pull the starters to rest for the early SEC showdown with Auburn the following week.

Game 4 at Rice: Rice 43, UNT 32

Like the Tulsa game, this is two offenses that wing it around. Rice will have been trashed by Texas the weekend before we get there and will be happy to see softer competition.

Game 5 Florida International: UNT 40, FIU 25

We inexplicably lost to the worst team in college football last year, FIU. It won't happen again.

Game 6 Louisiana-Lafayette: UNT 36, ULL 31

Yes, ULL has some talented seniors on offense. However, most of it is run-based. By this point in the season, I expect out DL to be doing better against the run. We feed off the win the weekend before and steal one from hardluck Ricky Bustle's bunch for a second consecutive home win.

Game 7 at Louisiana-Monroe: ULM 39, UNT 21

Kinsmon Lancaster and a group of experienced receivers and a gelling Warhawk defense snap our two game win streak.

Game 8 Troy: Troy 36, UNT 32

We give Troy an unexpected fight, but fall short. We are getting tougher at home.

Game 9 at Western Kentucky: WKU 48, UNT 15

For whatever reason, the bottom falls out. The Hilltoppers remember the game that got away in Denton and play a tighter, more disciplined game this time around.

Game 10 at Florida Atlantic: FAU 40, UNT 25

These are the Sun Belt favorites. Much experience on offense and defense. At this point in the season, Owl QB Rusty Smith should be well into leading FAU to back-to-back Sun Belt titles.

Game 11 at Middle Tennessee State: MTSU 38, UNT 18

A third consecutive tough conference road game. MTSU will be fighting for a piece of the Sun Belt title; we'll still be struggling to learn how to win on the road. Although, this many conference road games this late in the season would be brutal on any team, much less the one we'll have with such an inexperienced defense.

Game 12 Arkansas State: UNT 31, ASU 28

For some reason, Arkansas State has lost tons of road game under Steve Robers - even in Sun Belt play! Their inability to win consistently on the road will bite them here again, was we finish 3-2 at home for the 2008 season - a positive sign for a breakout 2009 season.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch