Unt's Dodge Pushes For New Stadium In 2010

UNTflyer

NEW ORLEANS -- If current football trends in the Sun Belt Conference continue, coaches and officials are confident that a new stadium at North Texas will rise up sooner than later.

UNT coach Todd Dodge reiterated Monday his hope and desire to be in a new stadium no later than 2010.

"I've been told we'd open in 2010," Dodge said. "That's when I'm holding them to it. For this program to go where it needs to go, we've got to get a new stadium."

<snip>

UNT remains in the funding phase, in search of a naming-rights sponsor amid faltering economic times. An architect has been on board, and Sun Belt commissioner Wright Waters said it’s unfair to view UNT’s current progress as foot-dragging.

“It’s been said, and I don’t agree with it,” Waters said. “You have to be patient. There’s never been an athletic director who doesn’t want nicer facilities. It’ll happen.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/773870.html

Edited by UNTflyer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've been told we'd open in 2010," Dodge said. "That's when I'm holding them to it. For this program to go where it needs to go, we've got to get a new stadium."

Well, something is going to happen by 2010 (or sooner). Either North Texas is going to have a new stadium, or North Texas might be looking for a new coach......or AD.

I would really like to believe. I'm glad Dodge is pushing for the new stadium, and I know that, if it is going to happen, Todge's influence will be needed in spades.

But the bottom line is that this is nothing but talk. Just words. Vague, vague words. I have heard that "we expect to have a stadium by 20**" for years, and I just can't summon the excitement that I did the first dozen times I heard that line. Show me corporate naming rights, show me a dirt turning photo op, show me a high profile alum with a huge cardboard check... until then, I'll just politely smile.

IMO, our stadium campaign can afford for Dodge to be more outspoken than he has been.

I agree I think the face of the program needs to be out there pushing to get this thing built. Any media coverage just leads to more exposure and more donations.

Edited by NTPhiKap99

A sponsor would be great (we are still looking for one), but are you guys going to get a sponsor who will donate the amount of money it takes to get a stadium in motion? One or Two million ain't gonna do it. Maybe if ya'll could get that, then it would get the ball rolling on subsequent donations.

At any rate, much luck to you.

Thank God for student fees at MT, or we'd be in trouble. We just raised them again by $25 per semester, and get an additional $1 million+ per year.

NEW ORLEANS -- If current football trends in the Sun Belt Conference continue, coaches and officials are confident that a new stadium at North Texas will rise up sooner than later.

UNT coach Todd Dodge reiterated Monday his hope and desire to be in a new stadium no later than 2010.

<snip>

UNT remains in the funding phase, in search of a naming-rights sponsor amid faltering economic times. An architect has been on board, and Sun Belt commissioner Wright Waters said it’s unfair to view UNT’s current progress as foot-dragging.

“It’s been said, and I don’t agree with it,” Waters said. “You have to be patient. There’s never been an athletic director who doesn’t want nicer facilities. It’ll happen.”

Edited by KAjunRaider

ultimately, it is the students that have to buy what athletics is selling.

I don't think they'll have any problem as long as it is structured correctly.

The current contributions are an incredibly low $63 per student per semester. This has enabled North Texas to barely afford to be competitive in the lowest ranked conference in all of Division 1 (Bowl Division).

A $30 per semester raise in the fee each year for the next 6 years would not only allow North Texas to build excellent facilities, but would also allow the school's athletic programs to become a juggernaut amongst the non-BCS programs.

2008-2009 school year - $60 per semester

2009-2010 school year - $90 per semester

2010-2011 school year - $120 per semester

2011-2012 school year - $150 per semester

2012-2013 school year - $180 per semester

2013-2014 school year - $210 per semester

2015-2016 school year - $240 per semester

The $30 per semester increment is equal to the cost of 7 gallons of gasoline. Hardly anything that would deter a student from attending North Texas.

The benefit to the university's image and to the student's eventual degree will be priceless.

Trust me on this one, at 34,000 in enrollment, and probably pushing 45,000 by 2016, North Texas should be a magnet for corporate sponsors as long as it fields competitive teams.

Winning teams will get alumni and the community supporting the university in a way that North Texas has never enjoyed in it's history.

Suddenly, for the first time since it's inception in 1890, North Texas is a destination school.

NORTH TEXAS; A GREAT UNIVERSITY!

* One other point. I believe that the new stadium should be planned for 45,000 with the ability to eventually expand to the 70,000 seat range. It's not right to charge students for athletics and then not have enough seating for them once marketable teams are brought to Denton.

Edited by ADLER

I think things will happen quicker than you think...

Actually, I've stated very often, much to the snickers and eye-rolling of some users of this board, that there will be a major announcement before the end of this next school year (probably before the end of the season).

Well, something is going to happen by 2010 (or sooner). Either North Texas is going to have a new stadium, or North Texas might be looking for a new coach......or AD.

SilverEagle, those we my exact thoughts as well. Was that a shot across the bow? A bit of foreshadowing or simply adding to the excitement? Not sure...... :ph34r:

Keith

<snip>

I am going to have to agree with illuvius on this one....until I see something more than just words, it just be more of what we have heard. When does dirt have to turn by for us to be in a new stadium by the 2010 season? I think Dodge may be making a statement public on this because someone ask him about it, and he was told by RV that 2010 was the date and he just wants those who told him that to not forget about it. Thanks to Dodge for bringing up the date.

well... this definitely spices things up a bit. And good for Dodge to put a fire under the AD office and the university presidents office. Shows that TD will not be played like a fiddle by RV and co. even if he's putting his neck out on the line by calling out his boss..

YOU GO TODD DODGE!!! CALL OUT EVERYBODY!! THIS MUST HAPPEN!!!!!! DON'T LET THEM PULL A FAST ONE ON YOU OR YOUR PLAYERS...