Smu Blogger Takes A Shot At Unt

This based on the word should. Should they improve, should espn come calling, should they be 500 at the end of their season.

Should , would, could.

Their primary goals should be:

1. Have a winning season (it's been a while)

2. Play in a bowl game (it's been a long while)

3. Hope the Enron accounting can be abandon in announcing game attendance.

4. Hope the money guys continue to fund their high price coaches salary.

notre dame plays on NBC

Their primary goals should be:

1. Have a winning season (it's been a while)

2. Play in a bowl game (it's been a long while)

3. Hope the Enron accounting can be abandon in announcing game attendance.

4. Hope the money guys continue to fund their high price coaches salary.

I always had other goals in mind.

1. Win 4 games. That would put them on the "upswing" as far as their delusional fans are concerned.

2. Keep anyone gay or even homo-friendly away from practice. Definitely keep Justin Willis' boyfriend away. They don't need the distractions.

3. Become Highland Park's "team". We ALL know it will be a long, long time before they are Dallas' team, much less the metroplex's, much much less relevant in TX as a whole...let's not even cause me to piss myself laughing about them being nationally relevant.

4. Get around that damn mountain.

This blogger is right - they shouldn't be scheduling UNT, and he's wrong - The Notre Dames, Ohio States and Nebraskas will only get SMU one thing: smacked the f down. To become nationally respected June Jones' SMU has to schedule Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern. If this blogger knew who they hired as coach, he would be saying SFA is the type of team they need on the schedule. Does it get my blood boiling that some dickweed blogger thinks June Jones should drop SFA and UNT for Top-25 teams? No. It makes me crap my pants laughing at him.

This blogger is right - they shouldn't be scheduling UNT, and he's wrong - The Notre Dames, Ohio States and Nebraskas will only get SMU one thing: smacked the f down. To become nationally respected June Jones' SMU has to schedule Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern. If this blogger knew who they hired as coach, he would be saying SFA is the type of team they need on the schedule. Does it get my blood boiling that some dickweed blogger thinks June Jones should drop SFA and UNT for Top-25 teams? No. It makes me crap my pants laughing at him.

Well, at least Jones is true to form scheduling Texas State next year. You know what's really ironic is Georgia's claim to have been overlooked as national champions in 2007 based on their blowout of Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. SMU is basing their early hopes for the June Jones regime based on his first year at Hawaii, ignoring the second year 3-9 record and the subsequent weak schedules. Really, the only away games in which Hawaii dominated in 2007 were Idaho and UNLV, with a combined 3 wins for 2007. Oh well, I guess there may be something to be said for "cupcake" scheduling.

Well, at least Jones is true to form scheduling Texas State next year. You know what's really ironic is Georgia's claim to have been overlooked as national champions in 2007 based on their blowout of Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl. SMU is basing their early hopes for the June Jones regime based on his first year at Hawaii, ignoring the second year 3-9 record and the subsequent weak schedules. Really, the only away games in which Hawaii dominated in 2007 were Idaho and UNLV, with a combined 3 wins for 2007. Oh well, I guess there may be something to be said for "cupcake" scheduling.

It's not the bite of the dog in the fight that counts anymore, it's how pretty the dog looks before the fight. Polls, fans, media, TV, donors, and recruits all love 10-1 teams no matter who they played or what the scores. We should try it sometime. B)

Edited by NT80

I'm just horrified that a local blog would mock any of the local colleges or universities.

What is this world coming to?

Three stats I'd like to see (hint to anyone willing to do some work).

Jones was 76-41 at Hawaii and 69-39 vs. I-A (counting 2004 FAU as I-AA)

1. Record vs. I-A competition with a winning record.

2. Road record

3. Road record in WAC play.

The closer those three numbers are to .500 or exceed .500 the more impressed I'll be.

I dont really think the blogger took a huge shot at UNT. To some degree he may have a point but think getting to a top 25 caliber program will be have consistent winning and beating the tar out of the UNT's of the world. I think it would be a pretty good game to watch in a yearly basis but I do agree that they need to think beyond UNT if they want to upgrade their program quickly.

Three stats I'd like to see (hint to anyone willing to do some work).

Jones was 76-41 at Hawaii and 69-39 vs. I-A (counting 2004 FAU as I-AA)

1. Record vs. I-A competition with a winning record.

2. Road record

3. Road record in WAC play.

The closer those three numbers are to .500 or exceed .500 the more impressed I'll be.

I'd do it if I wasn't at work. Some of you haven't been stopped by that before!

Interesting to think he doesn't have the luxury of being on the island anymore. How many of those wins could he count on because of the rigors of that road trip? It has to be one of the hardest, most tolling trips in college sports.

I'd do it if I wasn't at work. Some of you haven't been stopped by that before!

Interesting to think he doesn't have the luxury of being on the island anymore. How many of those wins could he count on because of the rigors of that road trip? It has to be one of the hardest, most tolling trips in college sports.

Yeah - but have you seen the construction on Mockingbird? Traveling in that sucks too. I bet it is all part of JJ's master plan...

From FOX Sports, 11/2007:

"During June Jones' 9 year tenure as the Hawai'i head coach, the Warriors have played the following BCS conference schools:

Alabama (SEC) 3 times (2006, 2003, 2002) Record 1W, 2L

Southern California (PAC 10) 3 times (2005, 2003, 1999) Record 3L

Wisconsin (Big 10) twice (2005, 2001) Record 2L

Oregon State (PAC 10) twice (2006, 1999) Record 1W, 1L

Michigan State (Big 10) twice (2005, 2004) Record 1W, 1L

Arizona State (PAC10) once (2006) Record 1W

Northwestern (Big 10) once (2004) Record 1W

Purdue (Big 10) once (2006) Record 1W

Washington State (PAC 10) (1999) Record 1L (close loss)

*Cincinnati (Big East) once (2002) Record 1W

NOTE: Cincinnati was not a member of the Big East in 2002, but since the only thing that has changed for them is conference affiliation, I include it here.

The record: 6-10 overall, 0-3 on the road, 6-7 at home. They have been competetive again good middle-of the road BCS conference opponents, but have struggles against the upper-level BCS teams (USC, Wisconsin), but a pretty good record against quality BCS conference opponents none the less. Take out the five losses to those two schools and Hawai'i is a respectable 6-5. Again, looks like your typical middle-of-the-road BCS conference team record within conference.

Hawai'i's 3 road games against BCS opponents were:

At Alabama (2006), a game Hawai'i almost won (they nearly beat 'Bama at 'Bama's newly renovated stadium to open the season. That game was pretty close with Hawai'i losing at the end.

At USC - They hung with the men from Troy for much of the first half, but were overmatched the rest of the way."

LINK TO BLOG

Edited by LongJim

The record: 6-10 overall, 0-3 on the road, 6-7 at home. They have been competetive again good middle-of the road BCS conference opponents, but have struggles against the upper-level BCS teams (USC, Wisconsin), but a pretty good record against quality BCS conference opponents none the less. Take out the five losses to those two schools and Hawai'i is a respectable 6-5. Again, looks like your typical middle-of-the-road BCS conference team record within conference.

If we had a coach beat Bama, Oregon State, Michigan State, Arizona State, Northwestern, and Purdue all since 2002 he would be named the next coming of Hayden Fry and be given a lifetime contract.

I always had other goals in mind.

1. Win 4 games. That would put them on the "upswing" as far as their delusional fans are concerned.

2. Keep anyone gay or even homo-friendly away from practice. Definitely keep Justin Willis' boyfriend away. They don't need the distractions.

3. Become Highland Park's "team". We ALL know it will be a long, long time before they are Dallas' team, much less the metroplex's, much much less relevant in TX as a whole...let's not even cause me to piss myself laughing about them being nationally relevant.

4. Get around that damn mountain.

I fully agree with #3. If SMU would market the hell out of themselves to the Park Cities, Ford Stadium could be more than half-full with SMU supporters. It's a large contingency of our alumni base. The HS sends over 90 graduate a year to SMU. Get them involved. If SMU became a community area school for Highland Park, all "Parkie" jokes aside, I think it would be a great place to start for a fanbase. SMU is still "cool" in HP and UP, so you wouldn't have to start fighting an uphill battle from the get-go with your marketing and advertising.

As for the "shots," if SMU or UNT want to be any more relevant than they are right now, they need to far surpass what both schools have done the last 5 years. Going 6-6 in CUSA and going 7-5 in the Sun Belt isn't going to register any news blips in the metroplex, much less nationally. Do I think we need to schedule Notre Dame and Michigan? Hell no. I'm all about the TCU and Hawaii scheduling. They play jokes for the most part and wind up with 10-win seasons. They are ranked. They get talked about. However, if either school wants to be considered legit, and they want this game to be more than "Saving our Sorry Athletic Dept Budgets b/c We Can't Win and Produce Our Own Fans," then they've got a lot of on the field improvements to make before this game becomes relevant to anyone other than the 100 or so people who post on the 2 message boards.

Look at Tulsa, non-BCS followers know them. But they play a decent non-con and only wind up winning 8-9 games, and there's not much national pub. If you go 11-1 or 12-0 with a weak ass schedule, people will at least "wonder" if you are THAT good, and a few people will cast some nice rankings at you... if you get blown out early in the season by an OU or Michigan or Nebraska, your 9 wins become worthless and just "show how weak your conference slate was."

I fully agree with #3. If SMU would market the hell out of themselves to the Park Cities, Ford Stadium could be more than half-full with SMU supporters. It's a large contingency of our alumni base. The HS sends over 90 graduate a year to SMU. Get them involved. If SMU became a community area school for Highland Park, all "Parkie" jokes aside, I think it would be a great place to start for a fanbase. SMU is still "cool" in HP and UP, so you wouldn't have to start fighting an uphill battle from the get-go with your marketing and advertising.

As for the "shots," if SMU or UNT want to be any more relevant than they are right now, they need to far surpass what both schools have done the last 5 years. Going 6-6 in CUSA and going 7-5 in the Sun Belt isn't going to register any news blips in the metroplex, much less nationally. Do I think we need to schedule Notre Dame and Michigan? Hell no. I'm all about the TCU and Hawaii scheduling. They play jokes for the most part and wind up with 10-win seasons. They are ranked. They get talked about. However, if either school wants to be considered legit, and they want this game to be more than "Saving our Sorry Athletic Dept Budgets b/c We Can't Win and Produce Our Own Fans," then they've got a lot of on the field improvements to make before this game becomes relevant to anyone other than the 100 or so people who post on the 2 message boards.

Look at Tulsa, non-BCS followers know them. But they play a decent non-con and only wind up winning 8-9 games, and there's not much national pub. If you go 11-1 or 12-0 with a weak ass schedule, people will at least "wonder" if you are THAT good, and a few people will cast some nice rankings at you... if you get blown out early in the season by an OU or Michigan or Nebraska, your 9 wins become worthless and just "show how weak your conference slate was."

I hope everyone who runs around fuming about what the same 4-5 asshats on Ponyfans are saying all the time read SM's post and realizes, "hey, this is a good dude. I bet there are plenty of others like him." I will always enjoy teasing up the rivalry, but SM deserves some sort of spot in the "visiting fans who add a lot to the discussion" hall of fame.