Expansion Speculation

MCMLXXX

So, those are the numbers. To wrap up, if BYU and Utah are invited, the conference could be split in a way that gives all schools access to the Southern California market as well as accenting the conference's rivalries.

University Division

Washington, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Arizona, Utah

State Division

WSU, OSU, Stanford, USC, ASU, BYU

That's just stupid. Not one of those schools would go for that particular conference division. Breaking up in-state rivals like that means they'd only be able to play each other every other year or so.

The division split is a creative solution that can be helped with a permanent inter-division match-up.

BYU isn't going to be high on the Pac-10 list. If Colorado were willing to come in (who cares that they are on the side of the Rockies that feeds the Atlantic rather Pacific) then maybe Utah would be acceptable. After that, the candidates aren't that attractive to what the Pac-10 is.

The division split is a creative solution that can be helped with a permanent inter-division match-up.

BYU isn't going to be high on the Pac-10 list. If Colorado were willing to come in (who cares that they are on the side of the Rockies that feeds the Atlantic rather Pacific) then maybe Utah would be acceptable. After that, the candidates aren't that attractive to what the Pac-10 is.

Utah is a given. I too don't see BYU being selected, they certainly have many of the right qualities but they also tote a lot of restrictions with which the Pac 10 will not want to be saddled. Colorado has an athletic program but is too far away (mountain time zone) and has a relatively small state population.

Along with the addition of Utah, the University of Nevada is probably the best remaining candidate for inclusion; right location, right market, and sufficient academics.

Fresno State will be at the top of the list. BYU will ask for to much money to transfer and Utah does not have a large fan base. I have been to some of their away games and from what I can tell they are on par with MWC.

I'd eat my hat if Fresno State was invited to the Pac-10.

Utah is a given. I too don't see BYU being selected, they certainly have many of the right qualities but they also tote a lot of restrictions with which the Pac 10 will not want to be saddled. Colorado has an athletic program but is too far away (mountain time zone) and has a relatively small state population.

Along with the addition of Utah, the University of Nevada is probably the best remaining candidate for inclusion; right location, right market, and sufficient academics.

The problem with Nevada is that it is the #110 TV market, just ahead of Tyler/Longview, Lansing, and Boise.

Colorado is a perfect fit in every category except the map.

Fresno State will be at the top of the list. BYU will ask for to much money to transfer and Utah does not have a large fan base. I have been to some of their away games and from what I can tell they are on par with MWC.

Fresno is in the #55 market.

They do not fit the academic profile of the Pac-10.

They have an outlaw reputation and fans have been noted for their vulgar chants and a few incidents of throwing objects.

As to the comments regarding 16 team leagues, as I've said before it can work.

What it requires is either two groups of 8 that want to play the schools in their group of 8 and little interest in playing the other group of 8, or it requires a deal like the Big East where football has fewer members and the basketball schedule can be tweaked to create the games that preserve rivalries.

Fresno is in the #55 market.

They do not fit the academic profile of the Pac-10.

They have an outlaw reputation and fans have been noted for their vulgar chants and a few incidents of throwing objects.

As to the comments regarding 16 team leagues, as I've said before it can work.

What it requires is either two groups of 8 that want to play the schools in their group of 8 and little interest in playing the other group of 8, or it requires a deal like the Big East where football has fewer members and the basketball schedule can be tweaked to create the games that preserve rivalries.

Bad language and rude remarks are at any university. Trust me when I say if obscene behavior should keep a university out of the pack-10, then USC should have been dropped after the Rose Bowl game with Texas. Fresno may have looked like the cleanest school that day.

I understand that. However, if one opponent from the other division remained a constant every year, that would mean that a given school would play one other division opponent only once every three years. For example, let's use Oregon and Oregon State. Oregon would play its five division foes and Oregon State every year...that's 6 games. Then, let's say Oregon has to play two other conference opponents from the other division; WSU and Stanford. That's eight games and you can rest assured that the other four games will be played against weaker non-conference opponents, mainly for the "W's" needed to be bowl-eligible. OK, the next year Oregon plays the division opponents, plus OSU, USC and Arizona State. That leaves out BYU two years in a row. Now, this would work if you get all the schools to agree to only playing three non-conference games within any year. But I just don't see that happening and I couldn't blame the schools for wanting to do that either.

At any rate, it's all just speculation....talk to try to keep the off-season interesting. I can't wait until the season starts!!

Edited by gangrene

Fresno State has a pretty lousy repuation out in Los Angeles among the Pac-10 alumni. Not sure why they thumb their noses at FSU, but they do. Fresno's fans have a reputation somewhat similar to Texas Tech's. *shrug*

Edited by CMJ

Guest GrayEagleOne

can this help unt? let's say the pac-10 takes byu and utah since they are the easiest fit. the mwc then invites boise and fresno. the wac then needs major help. is it now time for an eastern wac of nmsu, unt, la tech, asu, ulm, and ull?

In that case, the WAC becomes VERY unattractive. NMSU would have to be in the western WAC to give them six teams (Hawaii, San Jose State, Nevada, Idaho, and Utah State). The only team that can draw more than 20,000 is Hawaii. We'd only have five teams in the east. Not even a 12-team WAC without Fresno and Boise.

While we're at it, just say NO to ANY 16-team conference, as well.

can this help unt? let's say the pac-10 takes byu and utah since they are the easiest fit. the mwc then invites boise and fresno. the wac then needs major help. is it now time for an eastern wac of nmsu, unt, la tech, asu, ulm, and ull?

Why, why, WHY do people insist on setting their sights on the WAC?

Why, why, WHY do people insist on setting their sights on the WAC?

Just guessing, but could it be because "THEY" don't save "THEIR" money all year and plan "THEIR" vacations around the fall season in order to take "THEIR" families out of town to see the Mean Green play on the road every football season?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Just guessing, but could it be because "THEY" don't save "THEIR" money all year and plan "THEIR" vacations around the fall season in order to take "THEIR" families out of town to see the Mean Green play on the road every football season?

Rick

Kinda funny aint it Rick...how when it's a given that you will travel to every away game possible you care a whole bunch about just how far you're needing to travel.

The WAC is a better than the Sunbelt hands down. If we are going stay in the SBC just so we can have our fans go to Mean Green road games then that is not good planning. The SBC is just a worst conference but people on this board dont see reality. I mean seriously, people here sound like we are a huge BCS school that we will travel like 5-10 thousands fans to our road games which is not the case. The SBC blows!

The WAC is a better than the Sunbelt hands down. If we are going stay in the SBC just so we can have our fans go to Mean Green road games then that is not good planning. The SBC is just a worst conference but people on this board dont see reality. I mean seriously, people here sound like we are a huge BCS school that we will travel like 5-10 thousands fans to our road games which is not the case. The SBC blows!

Well then UNT must really blow considering we can not win a damn thing in SBC sports with few exceptions, yet some want to move to a superior conference, in some opinions, and I assume get blasted in every sport or do you actually think by moving conferences our coaches will have an epiphany and learn how to coach better or that athletes actually get some jock excitement by the thought of playing in Moscow, ID versus Boca Raton, FL. I knopw ID in November gets my bones a jumping versus the bikinis along the beach in Boca.