Lieberman Candidate...others In Consideration

OldTimer

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sport...ory/561732.html

"she has spoken to UNT AD Villaarreal on many occasions...no specific as to when or about what. Donna Capps said she is hoping for interview soon after applying. she would love to return to coaching, ...Shanice Stephens (Clemson Asst) said she would love that opportunity, At least 2 more HC and perhaps 1 or 2 assts also in mix but not verfified

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sport...ory/561732.html

"she has spoken to UNT AD Villaarreal on many occasions...no specific as to when or about what. Donna Capps said she is hoping for interview soon after applying. she would love to return to coaching, ...Shanice Stephens (Clemson Asst) said she would love that opportunity, At least 2 more HC and perhaps 1 or 2 assts also in mix but not verfified

Nancy Lieberman is a legend in the sport. I think she'd be a huge hire for us. I love what she has to say in that article. I think, we couldn't go wrong hiring either her or Donna Capps (another great candidate). I think Nancy lives in the Metroplex...doesn't she? Anyway, her and Capps both living in the area, would be a huge advantage over that candidate from Clemson, for example.

Rick seems like a guy who really gets things done. If they're committing to women's basketball the way they have to football and men's basketball, then they want a program that's top of the line."

Could be a little brown-nosing, but it's nice to see that people in the business think that RV and UNT are working to turn the corner...

Nancy definitely knows her place in history and can rub some people the wrong way. However, with that being said I think most former great players have this type of attitude. Knowing this, as well as how successful she's been in her other business interests, would we have the money to woo her? There is no doubt her connections would be great and run deep.

I also like Donna Capps as a candidate.

Nancy definitely knows her place in history and can rub some people the wrong way. However, with that being said I think most former great players have this type of attitude. Knowing this, as well as how successful she's been in her other business interests, would we have the money to woo her? There is no doubt her connections would be great and run deep.

I also like Donna Capps as a candidate.

What does Nancy currently do for a living?

I believe she does many things including businesses, basketball related things and I thought that at one time she was a consultant or something for the WNBA Phoenix team. She is still very active in what she does and especially in womens basketball. She was on BAD Radio about 6 months ago I think for quite a while.

Either Leiberman or Capps would make good coaches. I'd like to hire someone that could bring in fans because of who they are, as well as how they coach. Like was done with the Bill Blakely hire. My wife wouldn't miss a Bill Blakely coached game. She went to see him and the game was a bonus.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Sounds like RV has some quality candidates. :)

Probably a few other good ones not in this story, too. So, do today's generation of girls/women's players know Nancy Lieberman that well? She was a hell of a player, but outside that one year playing in the WNBA, I'm not sure any of them were even born in her heyday. She doesn't have any college coaching experience, either. That bothers me a little. Isn't she more of a "personality" than a coach? Does fame trump real experience?

BTW, looks like the FW Startelegram was all over it today.

Probably a few other good ones not in this story, too. So, do today's generation of girls/women's players know Nancy Lieberman that well? She was a hell of a player, but outside that one year playing in the WNBA, I'm not sure any of them were even born in her heyday. She doesn't have any college coaching experience, either. That bothers me a little. Isn't she more of a "personality" than a coach? Does fame trump real experience?

BTW, looks like the FW Startelegram was all over it today.

She runs numerous free basketball clinics every year for young people (boys and girls) to come and learn skills. My neice went to several of them a few years back. She is very much in the community and the young people involved in basketball, over the past 10+ years, will definitely know who she is. There is no doubt, she has been very active in the area with her camps.

She runs numerous free basketball clinics every year for young people (boys and girls) to come and learn skills. My neice went to several of them a few years back. She is very much in the community and the young people involved in basketball, over the past 10+ years, will definitely know who she is. There is no doubt, she has been very active in the area with her camps.

Good to know she's visible and well-known by today's players, but still...is she more of a camp coach than a college coach? I guess hoops is hoops.

Good to know she's visible and well-known by today's players, but still...is she more of a camp coach than a college coach? I guess hoops is hoops.

I'm convinced that RV will recommend the best applicant for the job.

NT needs a breath of POSITIVE air to reflect an attitude that we

can all get behind. I stopped going to NT women's bb a few years

ago when Tinas' team's looked like they couldn't beat a good high

school team and then to listen to her tell us why it would take God

to help us win. OK I'll leave Tina alone. Hope she does well and

dosen't let the door knob hit her where it hurts.

I don't know anything about Lieberman. However, greatness as a player doesn't always translate into the same as manager. Look at Ted Williams, first manager of the Texas Rangers. But, your AD is the judge of that. She is definitely a big name.

If Capps wants the job, I'd take her in a heart beat. If you want winning basketball and are willing to support it, hire Capps. If you want to go to the NCAA tournament, hire Capps.

I don't know anything about Lieberman. However, greatness as a player doesn't always translate into the same as manager. Look at Ted Williams, first manager of the Texas Rangers. But, your AD is the judge of that. She is definitely a big name.

If Capps wants the job, I'd take her in a heart beat. If you want winning basketball and are willing to support it, hire Capps. If you want to go to the NCAA tournament, hire Capps.

Agree with that. And she has applied from the article.

Why did she leave in the first place?

I don't think there was an official reason given. I seem to recall UTA may have had a problem with one of her assistants and forced her to replace them; think she then resigned soon after that season. Others mentioned the school's lack of support for the program, not sure if facilities or funding?

Here is a news article about her resignation in 2007 and her coaching record...

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/apr/1...sketball-coach/

"This season's (2007) 24-9 mark also set a school record for wins in a season. It caps off three consecutive 20-plus-win seasons at UT Arlington, including the program's first SLC Tournament title and NCAA Tournament appearance in 2004-05 with a 21-10 season. In between, the Mavs ended the 2005-06 season 20-9 and runner-up during the regular season. In 2003-04, Capps' team advanced to the SLC Tournament finals and finished the year 19-12."

2007 = 24-9

2006 = 20-9

2005 = 21-10

2004 = 19-12

Edited by NT80

I don't think there was an official reason given. I seem to recall UTA may have had a problem with one of her assistants and forced her to replace them; think she then resigned soon after that season. Others mentioned the school's lack of support for the program, not sure if facilities or funding?

The facility is what it is, which we all know is a recruiting and scheduling hinderance. That's a big thing, and I'm not trying to gloss over it. Besides that, I believe she was well supported...full array of NCAA allowable scholarships, full set of assistants, travel across the country for big games and tournaments. Those were visible things which suggest she was nicely, if not lavishly, funded. In fact, I think she would have had to have been to have the success she did.

The issue was more along the lines of the former reason stated above. She had some personal loyalties that she didn't feel she could break, apparently. But, yes, no official reason was given. All public statements by the University and Donna were cordial, as well they should have been.

She could start fresh at UNT, and, if I were to venture a guess, coaching looks a lot more attractive after being administration for a while.

Go get Donna, and let's start playing wb-ball every year. Donna won't be intimidated to schedule us, and it would add attention and interest to the games.

The facility is what it is, which we all know is a recruiting and scheduling hinderance. That's a big thing, and I'm not trying to gloss over it. Besides that, I believe she was well supported...full array of NCAA allowable scholarships, full set of assistants, travel across the country for big games and tournaments. Those were visible things which suggest she was nicely, if not lavishly, funded. In fact, I think she would have had to have been to have the success she did.

The issue was more along the lines of the former reason stated above. She had some personal loyalties that she didn't feel she could break, apparently. But, yes, no official reason was given. All public statements by the University and Donna were cordial, as well they should have been.

She could start fresh at UNT, and, if I were to venture a guess, coaching looks a lot more attractive after being administration for a while.

Go get Donna, and let's start playing wb-ball every year. Donna won't be intimidated to schedule us, and it would add attention and interest to the games.

Completely agree.

Rick

I'm convinced that RV will recommend the best applicant for the job.

NT needs a breath of POSITIVE air to reflect an attitude that we

can all get behind. I stopped going to NT women's bb a few years

ago when Tinas' team's looked like they couldn't beat a good high

school team and then to listen to her tell us why it would take God

to help us win. OK I'll leave Tina alone. Hope she does well and

dosen't let the door knob hit her where it hurts.

Charlie v.1.1?

I'm not here to take a shot at Slinker , but I feel no matter who RV decides to hire we can consider it an upgrade. Capps and Brock would be VERY SOLID hires , I honestly don't know that much about Stephens , but she seems she might have to fire for the job. As for Leiberman , that would definitely make a splash and raise some eye brows in the Women's basketball world. My only question about her is , would we be able to afford someone with her credentials ?? I'm sure ESPN pays her nicely and she makes money with her clinics among other things

Anyone know what Slinker's annual salary was ?

As for Leiberman , that would definitely make a splash and raise some eye brows in the Women's basketball world. My only question about her is , would we be able to afford someone with her credentials ?? I'm sure ESPN pays her nicely and she makes money with her clinics among other things

Thursday's DRC implied that Leiberman might apply for the job, but Friday's article seemed to indicate she may just be a consultant to RV....

"Villarreal said he spoke with Pro Basketball Hall of Fame member Nancy Lieberman to ask for her opinion about coaches UNT might want to consider."