The Future Of The Mean Green Athletic Village, Notes

MeanGreen61

Guest 97and03

Amen!

Other schools that have received the "Best Buy" label from the same source this decade (Institutional Research and Evaluation, Inc):

Texas A&M

LSU

Arkansas

Ok St

Kansas

Tenneesee

Texas Tech

Texas

Alabama

Florida

Georgia

South Carolina

Kentucky

Mississippi St

To be considered for the designation of the America's 100 Best College Buys® the institution must be an accredited four-year institution offering bachelor degrees; offer full residential facilities including residence halls and dining services; have a fall 2004 entering freshman class with a high school grade point average and or SAT/ACT score equal to or above the national average for entering freshmen; have an out-of-state cost of attendance in 2005-06 for three quarters or two semesters below the national average cost of attendance or not exceeding the national average cost by more than 10 percent.

Words are important. It is imperative to remember that when you refer to UNT as "cheap" there are many other connotations that are shared...

Bargain Basement

Cut-Rate

Depreciated

Additionally, cheap also means inferior. These terms when used as adjectives for UNT devalues the worth of UNT. Any alum should be admonished if they refer to UNT as cheap, and if you have seen anticipated tuition costs for the 2008-2009 school year, cheap is not a word that I would use to describe it.

Branding UNT has an impact on those that are not familiar with the university. Everytime a prospective student or athlete hears UNT referred to as cheap or low-cost, it hurts the reputation of our University. We are just now reinventing UNT as a premier public educational institution. Our 2007-08 Freshman had an SAT avg. higher that Texas Tech, we are groing by leaps and bounds in facilities and enrollment.

Now I am not surprised when I hear UT & A$M alums denegrate UNT, but dadgummit if I will let a UNT alums do it anymore!

Deep forgot to put up his sarcasm alert sign. He's sarcastically referring to the years and years of NT promoting and operating itself as a "Best Buy" or affordable or accessable or whatever you want to call it education. Which all say's cheap and as you say, devalues the worth of a degree from there. I cringe everytime I see that list of best college buys.

Rick

Well now they won't even let you swing a club on it unless you're attending a session of golf class or a member of either of the teams... thats my gripe. We come from different situations. I guess it says something about my home course, when I was just excited about an eighteen hole format! As bad as you say that course was, it was a treat for me whenever I got to play there as a kid. If you really thought it was that terrible, I'd suggest you take a 30min drive to either the Bridgeport or Decatur Municipal Golf Courses. I think you'd get a real kick out of playing either of those two, especially Decatur.

I learned to play golf on the NT Course in the mid 80's and it was a little worst then the average Muni in the Dallas area. It was still better then TWU, Lewisville and a couple of others I don't remember. I played it quite a bit, but right when they remodeled the golf course in the late 80's or early 90's I am not sure. The course was really nice for a while. I loved the hills, and the first tee looking down on the green with that huge half dead tree on the side. I was teeing off in front of several of my buddies and I went to crack one with intentions of driving the green (which was pretty easy if it was dry, hell the ball would roll there) I nailed the damn big ole limb that hung out over the fairway from dead tree and my ball shot right back at us over our heads and hit the beer girl cart. Got to hear about that one for a while.

I miss that course, the student price was right.

Deep forgot to put up his sarcasm alert sign. He's sarcastically referring to the years and years of NT promoting and operating itself as a "Best Buy" or affordable or accessable or whatever you want to call it education. Which all say's cheap and as you say, devalues the worth of a degree from there. I cringe everytime I see that list of best college buys.

Rick

cola.jpg

That ideology always made North Texas comparable to the product on the right; the low cost, no frills, alternative to what you'd really want.

Unfortunately, I don't think campus leadership is really interested in changing the perception.

the golf course sucked, end of story. for the amount they charged we used to drive to indian creek in lewisville to get at least some value. sure it was better than twu but twu was half the cost.

i hated that course, we used to play it just for convenience sake but the cracks, lousy fairways, and bad greens used to drive me crazy.

good riddance to it and the radisson.

What they should do is either renovate it and make it a top quality hotel or tear it down all together and build a much better one near by. With as many business people that come to Denton for Denton not to have a hotel that caters to them is absurd. I know a lot of them stay in Lewisville and drive to Denton for their meetings. Having a university run 3 or 4 star hotel with all of the restaurants/catering run by our restaurant management program would be a huge step for that program.

As a graduate from that program I completely agree with this statement. UNT has a good reputation in the Hospitality field but if we ever want to grow that reputation further and compete nationally with the Houstons, UNLV etc.. in the overall value of the Hospitality degree, we need a real world experience venue like the Radisson for our students to learnand grow. Additionally it would be a revenue generrator for the School because labor costs would be very low...

Besides if you tear down that hotel where will incoming football, basketball, softball teams stay when they come to Denton to play us?

As a graduate from that program I completely agree with this statement. UNT has a good reputation in the Hospitality field but if we ever want to grow that reputation further and compete nationally with the Houstons, UNLV etc.. in the overall value of the Hospitality degree, we need a real world experience venue like the Radisson for our students to learnand grow. Additionally it would be a revenue generrator for the School because labor costs would be very low...

Besides if you tear down that hotel where will incoming football, basketball, softball teams stay when they come to Denton to play us?

Yes Yes!!!!

Clearly the BOR already has a plan. Dr B stated the land would be used to augment the athletics facilities, so I seriously doubt the hotel will remain. My guess is that it will be a parking facility for the athletics village, possibly a replacement for the current Green lot. Think of that, parking just up the small hill with a spectacular view of the new stadium. The only downside being it would be on the opposite side of the almuni section.

Clearly the BOR already has a plan. Dr B stated the land would be used to augment the athletics facilities, so I seriously doubt the hotel will remain. My guess is that it will be a parking facility for the athletics village, possibly a replacement for the current Green lot. Think of that, parking just up the small hill with a spectacular view of the new stadium. The only downside being it would be on the opposite side of the almuni section.

No, it's too valuable of property to just make a paved parking lot out of it. It is highly visible going south on I-35E and part of the main entry area into UNT off NT Blvd. I think they will always have some structure there vs. a parking lot. Perhaps a dorm or school run hotel is my guess.

No, it's too valuable of property to just make a paved parking lot out of it. It is highly visible going south on I-35E and part of the main entry area into UNT off NT Blvd. I think they will always have some structure there vs. a parking lot. Perhaps a dorm or school run hotel is my guess.

NT80 is correct...the building stays.

I think either dorms will go there, or there was made mention some possible retail going in that area. That would make for an exciting Saturday. North Texas Football and a hopping retail area is possible too. Anyone want to second that notion.

GMG

I think either dorms will go there, or there was made mention some possible retail going in that area. That would make for an exciting Saturday. North Texas Football and a hopping retail area is possible too. Anyone want to second that notion.

GMG

I agree. I would love to see some great retail in the area as well.