Spring Practice Odds/ends

flyeater

Love the quote that Riley and Daniels are sitting there putting pressure on my boy. He thrives on that crap. I love Phillips comments that Gio was just hitting receiver after receiver with the SLC boys watching.

You got to love that he steps up when, the so called big boys, are watching.

I would have to say that is a fairly good report by Phillips - wonder if he is the only media being allowed onto the practice field? I can't think that players working out on their own is good for their future playing time.

They're allowing media on the field for practice? Since when?

_ Ross isn't injured, but he and receivers Evan Walker and Korey Washington are working out on their own this spring.

Does anyone understand what this about? And why they would not be working out with the team? Am I missing something.

Maybe they can't participate in team drills due academic problems ?

I heard they refuse to observe daylight savings and are practicing on their own schedule because the team went to daylight savings. At least that's the rumor down at the Flat Earth Society.

UNT spring odds/ends

Spring break is over at North Texas, and spring practice is back on. The Mean Green had its fifth of 15 workouts on Tuesday. Nothing earth-shattering, but a few observations:

_ UNT QB signee Riley Dodge isn't in a practice uni, but he's at practice watching as expected. Next to him Tuesday was next season's potential Heisman Trophy winner, Missouri QB Chase Daniel. Combined, those guys lost...what, two or three times at Southlake Carroll? Anyway, you can almost hear the gears grinding as Daniel and Dodge point at, cuss and discuss every aspect of UNT's spread offense as first-teamer Giovanni Vizza nails receiver after receiver downfield.

_ A newcomer to the receiving corps (as if it needed one) is getting quite a bit of work. Transfer Alex Lott from Division III Texas Lutheran has impressed his new coaching staff. Lott is the son of former Oklahoma player Thomas Lott and brother of former Rice player Thomas Lott III.

_ A good battle is going on at safety with first-teamers Greg Garden and Kartey Agbottah holding form, but juco transfer Kylee Hill isn't giving an inch.

_ Defensive tackle Isaac Thomas won't be cleared for physical activity until May, I'm told. Without him and big tackle Draylen Ross, the interior line looks quite small.

_ Ross isn't injured, but he and receivers Evan Walker and Korey Washington are working out on their own this spring.

_ Transfer kicker Jeremy Knott is handling most of that work in special teams drills, but Tuesday's effort was mostly pointless. Knott's kicks into a 40 mph head wind pretty much went nowhere. Would've loved to see him turn around and go the other way from, say, 50 or 60.

--Troy Phillips

Posted at 05:35 PM | Permalink

Does anyone understand what this about? And why they would not be working out with the team? Am I missing something.

Missing in action for the rest of spring are slot receivers, Korey Washington and Evan Walker, both will not be reinstated until fall, if then.

From nautique posted a few weeks ago , the guy everyone loves to hate

A little too much obsession here with a few players who aren't practicing. It's spring ball. Every year, a handful have injuries, grades or personal stuff, etc. and don't practice. Best guess is all three will be there in August pending whatever's going on now. Jeesh, two aren't even starters...three if you count Dibrell going in for Washington late last season. Give it a rest.

A little too much obsession here with a few players who aren't practicing. It's spring ball. Every year, a handful have injuries, grades or personal stuff, etc. and don't practice. Best guess is all three will be there in August pending whatever's going on now. Jeesh, two aren't even starters...three if you count Dibrell going in for Washington late last season. Give it a rest.

A good point; there's a reason we have a lot of receivers. Although Ross would be welcomed by all of us, we have some talented defensive linemen coming in by August.