Jaydub's Final Words

UNT_92_Fan

Guest 97and03

If it helps, when I registered I figured I'd be banned within a month. FFR even called me a troll.

I guess I'm the good kind of troll that doesn't charge tolls or eat babies.

That is because you are a unity troll.

Plus banning people of your persuasion opens them up for a discrimination lawsuit.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, here goes.

First, Justin is a friend of mind, and as such, usually gets away with internet murder around here. However, he has a real "anti man crush" on one of the mods, I chalk it up to a personality conflict. JayDub has consistently received warnings, reprieves from bans, shortened sentences, etc for a long long time now. He knows we don't like him to keep calling this mod a nazi, douchebag, A$$ Hole, etc etc but he just persists. So finally, I put him on too weeks moderation. Moderation is where every post a person makes has to be seen and approved by an admin before it can be seen by non admins. It's a vetting process. JayDub first response is to PM this mod again and call him names, and then post a personal attack on him. So really, lets not get all teary eyed over this. I've give him a lot of rope, he's decided to use it to hang himself. He can actually post right now and it will be approved if its not, you know, an attack on someone. After two weeks he goes back to unrestricted posting.

For the record, other people have had to go through moderation status, including JayDub, and so far it hasn't killed anyone.

Second, this is not yuck monkey d ick joke joke central. Sorry. It never has been. Harry and I and the other admins don't put time money and effort for this place to turn into BaylorFans. This is supposed to be a place any fan can be proud of, that will shed a positive light onto NT athletics. We are going trying to keep it classy and dignified on this board. Anyone who knows me knows that my sense of humor and I are neither of those, so if I can play by the rules, I expect almost anyone can.

Third, we try and stay on the good side of the AD because we like to bring people stories and pictures from the games and athletes, and the best way for us to do that is to get media credentials from this school and others. Does that mean we censor our selves and become total boot lickers? Of course not. This place was Fire Dickey Central, and before that it was the Vic Trilli Should Be Fired HQ and before that it was the Tar and Feather Craig Helwig Posse. There is plenty of criticism of current coaches and administrators going on right now. But WE DO expect it to be dignified adult conversation that doesn't devolve into name calling and personal attacks. There are also certain verboten subjects like sexualising our student athletes.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks for clearing that up.

...I understand why people are up-in-arms about certain people who shall remain nameless, and how that is hard to balance with the need to stay friendly with the AD, but when one person has such a focus on his/her back for negativity, the AD should be made aware of the feelings of those who by and large support the program, IMHO.

I think I know what you are talking about here, but it has nothing to do with why JayDub was put on moderation. Unless I am reading what you meant incorrectly, in that case PM me.

First, Justin is a friend of mind, and as such, usually gets away with internet murder around here. However, he has a real "anti man crush" on one of the mods, I chalk it up to a personality conflict.

"one of the mods" = A board moderator here on GMG.com, not anyone in the AD office.

Guest JohnDenver

If it helps, when I registered I figured I'd be banned within a month. FFR even called me a troll.

To protect the innocent and the reps of the guilty.. names are changed.

People don't see Touners loving side either. When Touner crosses the line, he self moderates. He will even PM an admin occasionally and say "Sorry about that... " or "Ban me if you wish, I understand..."

However, other posters see Touner's style and then push it to the next degree then get all in a huff when they think "Touner gets away with it. No fair."

Don't a lot of us that have been on the board for years have a bit of the "Good Ole Days" syndrome? I mean back then we knew all of the posters and it seemed like a bunch of dudes, and some women, hanging out at a bar talking Mean Green sports. There was no place to get that. North Texas was barely covered in the paper and on tv and never mentioned on sports talk radio, not that that's changed, but it was great. To know that I found people that loved NT as much as me. So it started with a few and then continued to grow. Now with TD here and SO many more people joining it isn't the close knit community like it was 6 years ago. But I think we all want that because it means the program is growing and gaining steam. It could never stay that way forever! I don't post nearly as much as I used to, and I do think there is a different tone to the board, but I still check it almost daily and I feel JayDub will do the same.

Justin, PM with your personal email address!

Patrick

Don't a lot of us that have been on the board for years have a bit of the "Good Ole Days" syndrome? I mean back then we knew all of the posters and it seemed like a bunch of dudes, and some women, hanging out at a bar talking Mean Green sports. There was no place to get that. North Texas was barely covered in the paper and on tv and never mentioned on sports talk radio, not that that's changed, but it was great. To know that I found people that loved NT as much as me. So it started with a few and then continued to grow. Now with TD here and SO many more people joining it isn't the close knit community like it was 6 years ago. But I think we all want that because it means the program is growing and gaining steam. It could never stay that way forever! I don't post nearly as much as I used to, and I do think there is a different tone to the board, but I still check it almost daily and I feel JayDub will do the same.

Justin, PM with your personal email address!

Patrick

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Whats all this Roc & Manuch garbage I've been hearing on Sporting news radio lately??? I hope this isn't a sore subject, but these guys are completely worthless. I loved your show because of your ability co cover such a wide variety of topics and still remain credible. Hearing those two try and discuss golf is like listening to Mike Irvin discuss "Reality." You've got a fan in me, even if you did refer to me as Chris in Denton instead of Cliff every time I called in.

I am coming into this late so this may have already been discussed, but here are some random thoughts...

** I am a passionate NT fan. The people that moderate a internet message board or that manage the athletics program have nothing to do with my passion for NT football, soccer, softball, basketball.

** I had bad service at American Airlines the other day. I wrote the Managing Director, Customer Experience directly. We had a nice email discussion back and forth, and I walked away happy. My OPTIONS were limited, based in Dallas, so I worked hard to overcome my problems with the airline. Assuming a "diehard" can easily turn off and on their passion for the program, said fan can go watch SMU (God forbid), TCU, any high school, the Cowboys (enjoy paying for that), etc. You have many options, but none NEED you more than good ol' NT.

** Coaches, Presidents, AD's, players, players parents, athletic department personnel, and, hopefully, stadiums are temporary. NT is permanent. I chose to go to North Texas because of the permanent things it represents, not because of a teacher, an administrator or the cute girl in registration. I am a fan of the school, not of any single individual.

** I will not give up my citizenship because of a bad president (and neither would Alec Baldwin), forsake my God because I didn't like my preacher, leave my family because my wife farts in the bed (she doesn't), blame my poor performance at my job on my bad boss (either I did a good job or not), or give up my University because someone in the athletic department pissed me off.

** The NT fanbase is small enough, sadly, that each individual fan greatly impacts the ability of the program to move forward or backward. QUITTING, some call it "sending a message" truly hurts the program more than it helps. Literally, you ARE missed.

** Providing dramatic goodbyes to one's following of NT athletics is a fairly common event around here but usually a part of the off-season. What a great time to say goodbye. Most of those that have picked up their toys and gone home, come back to play around oh, say, August.

** For those that choose to stay, be positive. Fight for what you think is right. If you fail, fight harder. Don't quit. Be more positive than negative. Give more than you take.

Go NORTH TEXAS.

--Banned topics.... where did the snowman topic go... did it just melt away??

This is not football season and our minds tend to wonder around a bit to find something different to talk about besides the same old territory.

--Banned topics.... where did the snowman topic go... did it just melt away??

This is not football season and our minds tend to wonder around a bit to find something different to talk about besides the same old territory.

PM Cerebus if you have ... concerns ... about the moderation of a topic.

Yes, exactly. You are a good Troll.

JayDub,

I hear you brother, loud and clear. I didn't get to read the board at all yesterday afternoon, trying to get kids back from school and ready to travel up to the game. So I was surprised to learn of and hear concerns from others of your post on TY once we got to Denton. That alone should tell you how folks care for you here in Texas. And it doesn't matter if you walked or not, your still an alumnus, your still Mean Green and your still one of ours. Why? Because you care about this school and your more in tune with what North Texas is about than most. I wouldn't take a million dollars for the experiences I gained and the friends I made at NT and I'll bet you wouldn't either. Those are the things you carry with you the rest of your life. Just like Mr. Campbell said, those experiences are "Permanant". And we all still get together, we still hang and we still travel when our wives let us. Your just going through a time now that makes that part difficult for you due to distance. Take some time off if need be but don't turn your back on NT. And know that when you can come back we will be here for you. And finally, remember that after each game the Mean Green Brigade plays "You'll never walk alone". To me that has always stood for the fact that no matter where I go, no matter what I do I will always walk down the "Corridor of Years" with the people and the place that is North Texas.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

PM Cerebus if you have ... concerns ... about the moderation of a topic.

hahahahahah... I am really concerned about that snowman....LOL

Can't take life too serious.... although none of us get out of it alive.

So I was surprised to learn of and hear concerns from others of your post on TY once we got to Denton.

Just making sure that everyone knows Justin posted on his own blog. Not that we wouldn't have given him the forum if he asked, but we don't want to take the credit, blame or whatever else you call it.

I also can't believe JD killed my rebel rep. I hope "bad boy with a heart of gold" plays just as well.

One more thing - I saw another thread about how creative expression is being stifled for real sports talk here with all of the jokes, and started thinking about that. I think 5 years of the same threads on stadiums, future plans, schedules, conference moves and what not have really run their course to many. The big threads you see now detail announcements or rumors and usually spend more time attacking the person making the claim (however justified) than anything else. Couple that with the disdain for media and AD members, and you have a recipe for a pretty volatile board. I have no idea how you fix that, but, unlike most of you, I spent the night drinking and pondering other issues and will now simply ramble off my thoughts. Wait, that is like most of you.

The insider board continues to stay on topic and avoid these pitfalls and I think part of the ripple effect of moving the "real info" down there has made this main forum seem much more devoid of substance. A thread with a joke pyramid in it gets lost to most when new threads pop up with recruiting info or deeper analysis of position players. In the new system, it just sits and festers and gathers page views and more reactions than ever before. This particularly seems to tweak those who take the board and its impact way too seriously and probably represents a greater discomfort with what blogs and message boards have done to college athletics.

Virtual water coolers don't exist anymore - not the way they did here a few years ago. I deal with clients who wonder why they can't control a blogger or discussion on a daily basis about a person or brand. They are the authority and should be able to reel things in as such. The problem is no one stays silenced. They start another site or another board. They enlist followers or support. I don't think TY is any rebel force or anything and it was never even intended as a Mean Green-focused site (or anything people would read - why do you think I write about hockey so much while TTG caters to you monkeys), but the desire for someone to take a different perspective paid off for us. We make sure to play nice with this board and others not for any gain or back-scratching, but because I think we solve a mutual problem. For us, it's being allowed to carry out shtick and have the ability to be serious when we like without boring readers with other rooting interests to tears. For the admins (this is assumed), it is a chance to unload some of the crap we would post here and save them warnings, bannings and other unpleasantness. The fact that we have grown to be somewhat friendly from what was formerly discipline-only conversations was just a pleasant side effect, like getting a lollipop after an AIDS test.

Some of you will never care for me and I get that - it doesn't keep me up at night or anything - but I find the implied contentions that I ruined this board pretty funny and a gross overstatement of my worth and influence. If I had that kind of power, I would be infiltrating the interwebs Edelman-style (but not getting caught) and making millions of PR dollars (look up Edelman and Wal Mart if you don't know what I am talking about.) Yes the site is evolving, but it was doing that before I got here and it will do that as the program continues to go on and officials, coaches and players come and go. The best thing to do is to continue the comments that talk about managing this change rather than pointing fingers, pouting or anything else. If you are so convinced that crude jokes run people off the site, imagine how other new visitors react to a slap fight over what should be censored.

If you want more sports, just talk sports and see who joins you. If you want the status quo - don't change. If you want more Richard jokes, make more Richard jokes and see what happens*. If its that important to you, work on creativity and coding it rather than volume. There's several people you can PM for help on this.

Finally, Knibb High Football rules! (looking forward to who will post the proper response to this ender.)

And....scene.

*not recommended

Just making sure that everyone knows Justin posted on his own blog. Not that we wouldn't have given him the forum if he asked, but we don't want to take the credit, blame or whatever else you call it.

I also can't believe JD killed my rebel rep. I hope "bad boy with a heart of gold" plays just as well.

One more thing - I saw another thread about how creative expression is being stifled for real sports talk here with all of the jokes, and started thinking about that. I think 5 years of the same threads on stadiums, future plans, schedules, conference moves and what not have really run their course to many. The big threads you see now detail announcements or rumors and usually spend more time attacking the person making the claim (however justified) than anything else. Couple that with the disdain for media and AD members, and you have a recipe for a pretty volatile board. I have no idea how you fix that, but, unlike most of you, I spent the night drinking and pondering other issues and will now simply ramble off my thoughts. Wait, that is like most of you.

The insider board continues to stay on topic and avoid these pitfalls and I think part of the ripple effect of moving the "real info" down there has made this main forum seem much more devoid of substance. A thread with a joke pyramid in it gets lost to most when new threads pop up with recruiting info or deeper analysis of position players. In the new system, it just sits and festers and gathers page views and more reactions than ever before. This particularly seems to tweak those who take the board and its impact way too seriously and probably represents a greater discomfort with what blogs and message boards have done to college athletics.

Virtual water coolers don't exist anymore - not the way they did here a few years ago. I deal with clients who wonder why they can't control a blogger or discussion on a daily basis about a person or brand. They are the authority and should be able to reel things in as such. The problem is no one stays silenced. They start another site or another board. They enlist followers or support. I don't think TY is any rebel force or anything and it was never even intended as a Mean Green-focused site (or anything people would read - why do you think I write about hockey so much while TTG caters to you monkeys), but the desire for someone to take a different perspective paid off for us. We make sure to play nice with this board and others not for any gain or back-scratching, but because I think we solve a mutual problem. For us, it's being allowed to carry out shtick and have the ability to be serious when we like without boring readers with other rooting interests to tears. For the admins (this is assumed), it is a chance to unload some of the crap we would post here and save them warnings, bannings and other unpleasantness. The fact that we have grown to be somewhat friendly from what was formerly discipline-only conversations was just a pleasant side effect, like getting a lollipop after an AIDS test.

Some of you will never care for me and I get that - it doesn't keep me up at night or anything - but I find the implied contentions that I ruined this board pretty funny and a gross overstatement of my worth and influence. If I had that kind of power, I would be infiltrating the interwebs Edelman-style (but not getting caught) and making millions of PR dollars (look up Edelman and Wal Mart if you don't know what I am talking about.) Yes the site is evolving, but it was doing that before I got here and it will do that as the program continues to go on and officials, coaches and players come and go. The best thing to do is to continue the comments that talk about managing this change rather than pointing fingers, pouting or anything else. If you are so convinced that crude jokes run people off the site, imagine how other new visitors react to a slap fight over what should be censored.

If you want more sports, just talk sports and see who joins you. If you want the status quo - don't change. If you want more Richard jokes, make more Richard jokes and see what happens*. If its that important to you, work on creativity and coding it rather than volume. There's several people you can PM for help on this.

Finally, Knibb High Football rules! (looking forward to who will post the proper response to this ender.)

And....scene.

*not recommended

Quoner, I fully agree with you.

How about Moderators create a NEW forum specifically for us NT fans to bullshit about everyday "goings-ons"? Of course racism , sexism, etc. will still be moderated in this forum, but it will allow a little more "room to move". Well, I just realized this, but the Non-UNT forum does this now. How about the Mods retitle it, bold it, put it in italics, & move it to the top of the list? That might help us choose to go there instead of football first. Most message boards that I am a apart of, this particular forum sees about 10x the amount of traffic compared to the other forums. Here, it seems everyone defaults to the football forum. Mods should make it a priority to encourage use of the "Bullshit" forum and leave our sports topics specifically for sports.

Edited by Got5onIt

Quoner, what you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

March is "The GREAT NOTHING" in terms of football... no games, no practice, no Spring training, no recruiting, no NFL drafts, no nothing....

You can only beat dead horses (and dead Mustangs) so much and then then they begin to stink.

Let's beat them all in basketball. (and get folks to games)

Yes, exactly. You are a good Troll.

JayDub,

I hear you brother, loud and clear. I didn't get to read the board at all yesterday afternoon, trying to get kids back from school and ready to travel up to the game. So I was surprised to learn of and hear concerns from others of your post on TY once we got to Denton. That alone should tell you how folks care for you here in Texas. And it doesn't matter if you walked or not, your still an alumnus, your still Mean Green and your still one of ours. Why? Because you care about this school and your more in tune with what North Texas is about than most. I wouldn't take a million dollars for the experiences I gained and the friends I made at NT and I'll bet you wouldn't either. Those are the things you carry with you the rest of your life. Just like Mr. Campbell said, those experiences are "Permanant". And we all still get together, we still hang and we still travel when our wives let us. Your just going through a time now that makes that part difficult for you due to distance. Take some time off if need be but don't turn your back on NT. And know that when you can come back we will be here for you. And finally, remember that after each game the Mean Green Brigade plays "You'll never walk alone". To me that has always stood for the fact that no matter where I go, no matter what I do I will always walk down the "Corridor of Years" with the people and the place that is North Texas.

Rick

All very true and well said.

But, I don't understand cutting your ties to your university over getting banned, semi-banned or whatever it is called on a fan message board.

Quoner, I fully agree with you.

How about Moderators create a NEW forum specifically for us NT fans to bullshit about everyday "goings-ons"? Of course racism , sexism, etc. will still be moderated in this forum, but it will allow a little more "room to move". Well, I just realized this, but the Non-UNT forum does this now. How about the Mods retitle it, bold it, put it in italics, & move it to the top of the list? That might help us choose to go there instead of football first. Most message boards that I am a apart of, this particular forum sees about 10x the amount of traffic compared to the other forums. Here, it seems everyone defaults to the football forum. Mods should make it a priority to encourage use of the "Bullshit" forum and leave our sports topics specifically for sports.

This is a really great idea.

This is a really great idea.

I believe most "visitors/generalists" will dive into the first Forum they see for a rant or general comment. Perhaps make the first Forum such a "General Rants" type place and change the Forum order to filter the Football fans to the second Forum, and hopefully more on-subject postings:

General Rants / Meet-n-Greet / All-in

Mean Green Football

Mean Green Basketball

Mean Green Athletics

Mean Green Job Board

UNT News

Non-UNT Sports