Way Too Early Predictions

NT03

Aug 30th @ Kansas State: My heart wants to say we win , but my head says we fall just short of talent. I think it's safe to say that this opening game vs a BIG XII opponent will go better than last year. KSU 35 UNT 21 (0-1)

Sept 6th vs Tulsa: Should be a HUGE crowd. If we pull the upset in Manhattan , expect a sellout. I think again we will fall just short , but this game should help erase the memories of that 54-2 shellacking the Hurricanes put on us last time they came to down. TULSA 28 UNT 24 (0-2)

Sept 13th @ LSU: A win under our belt would help with confidence going down to play the Tigers , but in the end it really won't matter. Too much talent to overcome. LSU 45 UNT 14 (0-3)

Sept 27th @ Rice: Hopefully LSU won't beat us up too bad and we go down to Houston for Dodge's first road win at the helm. UNT 38 RICE 24 (1-3)

Oct 4th vs FIU: Revenge should be on the mind of players and coaches. The home fans deserve a win. UNT 31 FIU 17 (2-3)

Oct 25th vs Troy: My upset of the year in the BELT. We got embarrassed last year in Troy even after they gave us every opportunity to be in the game, players should be well motivated for this one. Difference will be QB play and Vizza should be rolling , while Troy is being guided by a 1st year starter UNT 27 Troy 24 (3-3)

Nov 1st @ WKU: WKU in their own backyard will be tough. The Hilltoppers remember how last year went and have all intangibles working for them. We have a let down after a big win over Troy and come up short on the road. WKU 31 UNT 21 (3-4)

Nov 8th @ FAU: Back to back road games and against the best team in the BELT. FAU will be strong again with several returning starters back. FAU 27 UNT 17 (3-5)

TBD @ ULM: ULM will be a very tough game. This could easily go either way. I hope that this game is towards the end of the season and could possibly gain bowl eligibility with a win for extra motivation. With a sip of Green Kool Aid UNT 30 ULM 27 ( 4-5)

TBD @ MTSU: The MEAN GREEN start a new win streak vs the MUTs. Remember when we owned these guys ?? That seems forever ago. UNT 34 MTSU 20 (5-5)

TBD vs Arkansas St: Always a battle between these two teams , but UNT pulls it out in the end with the home field advantage. UNT 31 ASU 28 (6-5)

TBD vs ULL: Being at home will help and with DeRoach back the Mean Green shut down the Cajuns! UNT 28 ULL 7 (7-5)

I had to drink a few Green Kool Aids to reach 7-5. My sober mind tells me 5 -7 while my secret inside " source :sorcerer: " is telling me that we will go 6-6. I know this is premature , but we have little to talk about this time of year and I dont like it.

I am with you, I think 6 & 6 would be a very successful year in our rebuilding process, but my heart wants more 7 -5 would be a good start. I feel like I would need more winning to offset the last few years in the negative column.

You've got us 6-2 in conference so are we going bowling.

I think if.... IF we go 7-5 we will get snubbed just like Troy did last year , thus prompting Wright Waters to do all things neccessary to get a 2nd bowl tie in for the BELT in 09 and beyond.

If Todge parts the Red Sea and we go 8-4 they can't keep us out of a bowl.

Aug 30th @ Kansas State: I think we will play them tough but free fall in the second half. 41-23 KSU

Sept 6th vs Tulsa: This game could go either way, but I think our much improved defense won't have what it takes to stop Tulsa's offense. 35-31 Tulsa

Sept 13th @ LSU: Part of me thinks we could make some noise in this game, but the other part of me realizes that those noises will be Coach Dodge and the Mean Green crying at the end of the game. 45-17 LSU

Sept 27th @ Rice: Rice is notorius for giving up alot of points against spread passing teams. By this point Coach Deloach's defense will have been in place and game tested thoroughly, so holding Rice shouldn't be a problem.... right? 38-17 UNT

Oct 4th vs FIU: There is no reason UNT should drop this game in Denton. 42-10 UNT

Oct 25th vs Troy: I'm not sure how good Troy will be next year, but even if they are half as good as they were last year they should beat us again. 35-27 Troy

Nov 1st @ WKU: Winning at WKU won't be easy but I think we can pull it off. 28-14 UNT

Nov 8th @ FAU: Taking on (arguably) the best team in our conference in their house = L. 31- 17 FAU

TBD @ ULM: Their wins over FAU and Bama last year weren't a fluke. 38-10 ULM

TBD @ MTSU: This is a toss up that I will give to MT because they're at home. 21-20 MTSU

TBD vs Arkansas St: UNT will nut up and pull out the victory at home. 28-17 UNT

TBD vs ULL: We'll get a big win here to close out the season. 48-7 UNT

I've got 5-7. A step in the right direction.

Edited by MeanGreenEagle

I'll bite on the very early '08 predictions:

Aug 30th @ Kansas State: 49-17 L

Sept 6th vs Tulsa: 42-21 L

Sept 13th @ LSU: 66-7 L

Sept 27th @ Rice: 49-45 W

Oct 4th vs FIU: 24-17 W

Oct 25th vs Troy: 30-21 L

Nov 1st @ WKU: 41-20 W

Nov 8th @ FAU: 24-20 L

TBD @ ULM: 28-27 L

TBD @ MTSU: 38-20 L

TBD vs Arkansas St: 31-28 L

TBD vs ULL: 38-17 W

I'm predicting a 4-8 season with some improvement on both sides of the ball. The offense and defense will show flashes of what's to come in 2009. I know,I know, why can't we see significant improvement in year 2? It could happen, I just don't think DeLoach can fix the huge screwup, left for him by person's to be remained unnamed, in one season. As much as I don't like it, I'm sticking with the thought the defense will be "up to speed" with the O by '09.

Football Jesus will resume his winning ways. Going 79-1 this season is not impossible for Football Jesus.

Our one loss will be Tulsa. The win against LSU will force the NCAA to mark us down for 69 wins, because we will have given it to them like the Tigers like it.

We head to Houston with a 70-1 record that baffles David Bailiff like it's the last 90 seconds against Northern Iowa.

I'm predicting a 4-8 season with some improvement on both sides of the ball. The offense and defense will show flashes of what's to come in 2009. I know,I know, why can't we see significant improvement in year 2? It could happen, I just don't think DeLoach can fix the huge screwup, left for him by person's to be remained unnamed, in one season. As much as I don't like it, I'm sticking with the thought the defense will be "up to speed" with the O by '09.

I think this is a more realistic prediction and I concur.

Guest 97and03

Football Jesus will resume his winning ways. Going 79-1 this season is not impossible for Football Jesus.

Our one loss will be Tulsa. The win against LSU will force the NCAA to mark us down for 69 wins, because we will have given it to them like the Tigers like it.

We head to Houston with a 70-1 record that baffles David Bailiff like it's the last 90 seconds against Northern Iowa.

crack.jpg

Seriously.

Aug 30th @ Kansas State: I think we will play them tough but free fall in the second half. 41-23 KSU

Sept 6th vs Tulsa: This game could go either way, but I think our much improved defense won't have what it takes to stop Tulsa's offense. 35-31 Tulsa

Sept 13th @ LSU: Part of me thinks we could make some noise in this game, but the other part of me realizes that those noises will be Coach Dodge and the Mean Green crying at the end of the game. 45-17 LSU

Sept 27th @ Rice: Rice is notorius for giving up alot of points against spread passing teams. By this point Coach Deloach's defense will have been in place and game tested thoroughly, so holding Rice shouldn't be a problem.... right? 38-17 UNT

Oct 4th vs FIU: There is no reason UNT should drop this game in Denton. 42-10 UNT

Oct 25th vs Troy: I'm not sure how good Troy will be next year, but even if they are half as good as they were last year they should beat us again. 35-27 Troy

Nov 1st @ WKU: Winning at WKU won't be easy but I think we can pull it off. 28-14 UNT

Nov 8th @ FAU: Taking on (arguably) the best team in our conference in their house = L. 31- 17 FAU

TBD @ ULM: Their wins over FAU and Bama last year weren't a fluke. 38-10 ULM

TBD @ MTSU: This is a toss up that I will give to MT because they're at home. 21-20 MTSU

TBD vs Arkansas St: UNT will nut up and pull out the victory at home. 28-17 UNT

TBD vs ULL: We'll get a big win here to close out the season. 48-7 UNT

I've got 5-7. A step in the right direction.

I agree about all but the MTSU game. We are their Kryptonite in Murfreesboro...I see it as a slim NT win.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure Deloach can make adjustments if they start throwing to their TE every play.

What was the name of that tight end that ate our lunch? I wanna say Garrett Mills or something like that.

That was one of the worst game experiences watching a NT football game.

I would also concur with this prediction, though I think we might actually get to 5 wins. I am sure glad we will have Deloach back - I don't want to imagine a year 2 of Tulsa's Mahlzan lead offense against last years D. I would love to get some payback for that whipping that Tulsa gave us the last time they came to town.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

What was the name of that tight end that ate our lunch? I wanna say Garrett Mills or something like that.

That was one of the worst game experiences watching a NT football game.

Yea it was Garrett Mills. That was a dark day in recent Mean Green football. First home game following three straight NO Bowl appearances, Jamario and Patrick healthy together, and Tulsa just lays it to us. Something just didn't feel right about that out of conference loss.....

The home game with Tulsa might be the one I'm anticipating the most.

Garrett Mills: eight receptions for 143 yards and one touchdown

432fa35181f78-11-2.jpg

Here are my predictions for 2008:

The U.S. will dominate the Olympic games in Bejing, but only manage a bronze in basketball. We will shock the world and win silver in men's soccer.

Oil will hit $120 a barrel

Somebody will win the Presidential election

Plans for a new stadium at the University of North Texas will be unveiled

Plumm Mean Green will promptly be rushed to the hospital for a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrom

The Mean Green will finish 6-6 but won't go bowling

Edited by UNTflyer

Just what I was saying. We've had a model and plans for years, now we will have a new model and plans. I want to hear that the funding is secured and that NT will be turning dirt in the next few months.

I think what will be different is that we will have actual engineering plans, a real model (not just a concept model), and a price tag to ponder.

I wouldn't worry about the funding. From what I've heard, we have a plan. As I indicated in my post a few days ago, I don't want to spill the beans... but the consensus on this board about needing to secure 60% or more of the price of the stadium from private donors before going public with fundraising is not the plan.