My Hope For Johnny Jones...

ParksAndRecRick

My hope is that Coach Jones will get an opportunity to be the Head Coach at L.S.U. He has done GRAND things for the Mean Green. But, more importantly, is his quality as a person. He is one fine guy. If L.S.U. goes a different direction, shame on you...but, super for the Mean Green.

Johnny Jones was and is a great hire by Rick V. Quality is his trademark!

the day coach jones goes to lsu is the day the cowboys bring in coach dickey to run the offense.

bomg

Perfectly said. I couldn't agree more. Jones to LSU..... maybe as an assistant with a chance to move up, but not as head coach. He'd need to have actually proven something by now. Don't get me wrong. I love the guy, and he's doing wonders for our program, but LSU's not trying to get their average attendance up to 4,000, they're trying to make some noise in the SEC.

Perfectly said. I couldn't agree more. Jones to LSU..... maybe as an assistant with a chance to move up, but not as head coach. He'd need to have actually proven something by now. Don't get me wrong. I love the guy, and he's doing wonders for our program, but LSU's not trying to get their average attendance up to 4,000, they're trying to make some noise in the SEC.

I can't say I follow your argument. No, LSU is not trying to get their attendance up to 4,000...but that's why they're LSU, they pack 'em in regardless of coach because their alumni care about basketball. And, though I know this is hard for many to accept, if he stepped in at LSU he would have better talent to work with from day one. Comparing what he was able to do here with Trilli's recruits and then his own recruiting to a 1/4 full pit to what he would have at LSU makes it a silly argument.

I don't think we really have a shot at losing jones unless we make it back to the tournament, and have a first round upset. Anything other than that won't really give lsu the kind of pub they are looking for in a new coach.

That being said, my hope is that johnny jones secretly has a huge crush on this school and wouldn't trade it in for any other job.

I know, I know, that is VERY unlikely.

I would also like to go ahead, since we are talking about him possibly leaving, that my first choice for his replacement would be the head coach down a sfa. WOW, what a coaching job. I also heard he is a unt alum.

I can't say I follow your argument. No, LSU is not trying to get their attendance up to 4,000...but that's why they're LSU, they pack 'em in regardless of coach because their alumni care about basketball. And, though I know this is hard for many to accept, if he stepped in at LSU he would have better talent to work with from day one. Comparing what he was able to do here with Trilli's recruits and then his own recruiting to a 1/4 full pit to what he would have at LSU makes it a silly argument.

A couple more NCAA bids with some 20+ win seasons, and yeah, I'd say JJ is a bayou bengal. Until then, he stays with the green.

I agree it's unlikely he would be offered a job, but we haven't had much success over the last 25 years. Johnnie has brought a bit of that. Looking at the difficulty of the job may be part of the equation for LSU. I do agree it may take another trip or two to the dance to make such a job a reality.

Former LSU, UK stars remember history of series

* By JASON RUSSELL

* Advocate sportswriter

* Published: Feb 17, 2008

Maybe it wasn’t as big a game as it used to be. Maybe the rivalry didn’t quite live up to those classic games back in the 1980s.

But for one day at least, the LSU-Kentucky basketball game was the biggest game in town.

Heck, even “Big” was in attendance.

Former Tigers center and current Phoenix Suns standout Shaquille O’Neal — who is affectionately called “Big” by his entourage — was among the former LSU and Kentucky players in attendance Saturday as 9,870 watched the Tigers fall to the Wildcats, 67-63.

O’Neal, recently traded to Phoenix from Miami and nursing a hip injury, enjoyed playing to the crowd when introduced in the second half Saturday.

“This was the creation of my game and my NBA career and I just wanted to get that feeling one more time,” he said.

Then O’Neal put his two cents in on LSU’s search for a new coach.

“They’re struggling but … Johnny Jones for head coach,” he said with a grin.

While the final score did not go in LSU’s favor, those in the crowd who were part of the series history remembered what a few called “the good ol’ days.”

“You still get that little tickle in your stomach” when you come back, former LSU guard Derrick Taylor said. “No matter how old you get, no matter what happens, you still get that tickle.

“Those were good ol’ days, you never forget them. It was like a reunion today. We just didn’t get the win.”

Taylor couldn’t hide his emotions when talking about being at an LSU basketball game.

“It was good to see because when I come home, it’s always special for me,” Taylor said. “And it being the Kentucky game makes it even more special.”

O’Neal wasn’t the only big man from the series history taking in the atmosphere of the game. Former Kentucky and NBA center Kenny “Sky” Walker also sat courtside reminiscing of days gone by.

“It was a frantic pace when we came down here,” Walker said. “This, in my opinion, was the toughest place to play because all the students used to line up about two hours before the game and it was just a wild atmosphere, but in a good way. I always enjoyed playing here.”

Former Tigers star Ricky Blanton said the excitement level wasn’t quite up to par with what he remembers.

“It’s an exciting time, although the quality and the atmosphere is not the same that we’re used to,” Blanton said. “It was a good game. The excitement was definitely there.”

The dip in quality of play from both teams did weigh heavily on all of the former players minds, though.

“Hopefully the infrastructure is in place at Kentucky with the new coach to get to where they want to go and I think here at LSU, the (coaching) change will allow the progress to move a little quicker,” Blanton said.

And despite LSU’s lack of success in the win column, Taylor said he sees a light at the end of the tunnel.

“I’m glad to see the young guys rallying behind (interim coach) Butch (Pierre),” Taylor said, “because they could easily give up. I’m really proud of the way the team played today.”

Pierre said he was grateful for those former Tigers who were at the game.

“I want to thank the former players who came to the game today,” he said. “It means a lot to me and our players that those guys who are so important to the history of our program were here (Saturday).”

Current LSU player Garrett Temple, in whose home O’Neal often stayed while O’Neal was at LSU, gave a little in-game shout-out to Shaq.

“I gave him a little wink after I made some free throws,” Temple said.

Also in attendance Saturday was former LSU coach Dale Brown and former LSU player Tyrus Thomas.

Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site

My argument is that while Johnny has done great things for UNT basketball, in the grand scheme of things he hasn't accomplished anywhere near enough to merit heavy consideration for a job like LSU. I meant that here we are tickled pink (and rightfully so) that he has created enough of a buzz around Mens Basketball to generate attendance numbers unseen in years, at LSU they're going to want someone with a proven record of success. Lets be real here, I love the guy, but does anyone really consider him to be a great game manager? I just don't see Johnny creating anywhere near the buzz they're looking for.