State Of The Stadium Project

FirefightnRick

ADLER, that was a really good post. And I've felt that way from the first day I set foot on UNT's campus.

I really don't get it. It's proven time and time again that visible, legit athletics programs raise the profile of the school across the board. To be fair, they did just finish building a ton of stuff on the Eagle Point campus. This was needed and it was done under RV. I just don't understand the hesitancy to make a FULL commitment. Raise the fee, build the stupid stadium. Tell the world we are going to be first-class in everything we do- even sports.

For what it's worth, I think Dr Baitalle embraces this vision. It might just take some time to grease the other rusty wheels.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and before somebody states that I am trying to put everything on today's students, I'm not. This move should have happened several decades ago and unfortunately there is no way to do it retroactively.

Long term, it is what is best for the students and what is best for the university.

North Texas; A Great University

Is plan B official?

Because if it is... I can't WAIT for the announcement.

No announcement yet, but if someone was really astute, they could find a new athletic department job posted on 2/18 and start piecing it together. They'll probably first piece it together the wrong way though...

Sigh..... you sound like you got this one.

Oh, the meltdown.

Oh, I can't wait to witness the meltdown.

No more cryptic mystery talking. I won't say it, but I'll spell it out for everyone.

Here's a link to Kevin Fralicks' Athletics Department employee bio page. He's an NT alum, and he was the Director of Athletic Development. What does that mean? Well, the title means:

His major duties include leading the capital campaign efforts for athletic facility development, generating private and corporate donations to support these facilities, and assisting with any future facility development for the Mean Green Athletic Department.

And the "was" means that he doesn't do it anymore. He left to go work at UT-Arlington. Here's a link to where you can search for the job posting to find his replacement.

Notice the open date: 1/18/08.

Remember when Dickey was fired? All the discussion about the public university rules and regulations requiring a mandatory 1 month wait before filling certain positions?

Because look what job opened up on 2/18/08: Mean Green Club Coordinator

And who handled that job before?

Click here if you're not sure!

I'm sure that stadium is right around the corner!

Edited by TheTastyGreek

I am the eternal optimist when the subject is Mean Green sports, but even I am horribly disappointed with how the stadium issue is being handled.

I am not bagging on Rick Villarreal because I honestly think that he is trying to do the most with what little the university and the alumni currently provide.

But somebody has got to stand up and admit that THE PROBLEM does exist.

THE PROBLEM is that North Texas is incorrectly perceived as a second rate school. THE PROBLEM is that in the past 50 something years North Texas has won only a single postseason event (2002 N.O. Bowl). THE PROBLEM is that North Texas alumni are not overly proud to associate themselves with the school. THE PROBLEM is that nobody raises their children aspiring for them to become UNT students. THE PROBLEM is that under funded North Texas athletics have always played on the lowest level of the big schools. THE PROBLEM is when North Texas plays bodybag games every year they get their asses kicked in embarrassing fashion. THE PROBLEM is that big donors aren't anxious to associate with the university. THE PROBLEM is that big donors perceive that they are throwing their good money away on a university that refuses to help itself. THE PROBLEM is that North Texas receives only token media coverage in it's own market. THE PROBLEM is that North Texas is perceived by many students as an educational appliance to be discarded upon graduation. THE PROBLEM is North Texas has a terrible stigma attached to it for all the listed reasons,.....and hundreds more.

THE SOLUTION: North Texas needs to make a statement to improve it's stature by pumping huge amounts of funding into athletics. Athletics are the most visible aspect of the university. North Texas needs to do what UTSA and Texas State have decided is necessary; raise the athletic fee to the state maximum, stop living in disgrace and take advantage of it's size. Do NOT build a stadium sufficient for today’s demand, build a stadium comparable to what any other 35,000 undergrad college with successful programs would have. North Texas needs the ability to create first class facilities that will attract good coaches and great recruits. North Texas needs to have an athletic program that will inspire students to want to make an emotional attachment, to become fans, to follow their teams, to wear their university's apparel. Those students will eventually become contributing alumni, not only to athletics, but to every aspect of the university.

When the university invests in itself, and the college becomes something that people want to be associated with, alumni donations and corporate sponsorships will start piling up.

Some may say "why put this on the students as a student fee?" The answer is simple, the student fee is the only place that it can start. Generating revenue shared amongst 34,000 students can force change at a rapid pace, and in no other reasonable scenario is that possible. A student fee starting today would enable the university to bond a stadium immediately. A student fee would show potential donors that their money wasn't getting pissed away on some fruitless venture. A student fee is what's best for the students of the university; it may be somewhat costly right now but it will continue to pay dividends for the rest of their lives as new generations of students continue by making their own contribution.

Maybe raise the fee in increments over a 6 year period until it reaches the maximum.

THE PROBLEM is then solved. FOREVER.

Let's call it the GREAT UNIVERSITY INITIATIVE. Let’s make North Texas a GREAT UNIVERSITY.

Another super post Jeff. You have hit the nail on the head with your assessment and solution. I disagree on one sentence: "Maybe raise the fee in increments over a 6 year period until it reaches the maximum".

Screw the six year period. Max the fees out immediately. If students leave, let 'em go! We'd still have 30,000+ to work with.

For me, personally, I'm tired of hearing the stadium "lip service". NT needs to build this stadium NOW! Do whatever it takes. Show some vision North Texas!

[q]uote name='TheTastyGreek' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:00 PM' post='337081']

Oh, the meltdown.

Oh, I can't wait to witness the meltdown.

No more cryptic mystery talking. I won't say it, but I'll spell it out for everyone.

Here's a link to Kevin Fralicks' Athletics Department employee bio page. He's an NT alum, and he was the Director of Athletic Development. What does that mean? Well, the title means:

And the "was" means that he doesn't do it anymore. He left to go work at UT-Arlington. Here's a link to where you can search for the job posting to find his replacement.

Notice the open date: 1/18/08.

Remember when Dickey was fired? All the discussion about the public university rules and regulations requiring a mandatory 1 month wait before filling certain positions?

Because look what job opened up on 2/18/08: Mean Green Club Coordinator

And who handled that job before?

Click here if you're not sure!

I'm sure that stadium is right around the corner!

well is this really a bad thing? I mean, it's not like this person was really held in high regards by anyone on this board, myself included.

Or are we to read between the lines and assume these people are jumping ship for a reason? OR is there some house-cleaning going on that perhaps should have been done a couple seasons ago?

Let the speculation begin. Or continue. or whatever.

I wonder why this position has gone unfilled:

Job Title Sr. Director of Major Gifts

Description The Senior Director of Major Gifts is a member of the Athletic development team. The Senior Director of Major Gifts is responsible for the cultivation and solicitation of gifts in support of projects and initiatives for athletics and also promotes all University of North Texas campaign initiatives. Responsibilities include personal contacts with individuals, corporations and foundations (coordinating with the Directors of Corporate and Foundation Relations) for cultivating and soliciting financial support for assigned Athletic initiatives.

The Senior Director of Major Gifts may have direct supervisory responsibilities as assigned by the Athletic Director for the athletic campaign. The Senior Director may lead and direct individual team members in assigned work areas. As directed, he/she will be responsible for establishing goals, performance expectations and accountability standards for each team member.

The Senior Director of Major Gifts is also responsible for reaching assigned goals. Supervision will be received from the Director of Athletics for athletic campaign matters and Associate Vice President for Development for all other functions. Supervision will be given to Development Officers and other support staff, as required. Minimum Qualifications Bachelor's degree, with a minimum of seven years of experience in fundraising and/or higher education advancement, including personal solicitation of gifts. Proficiency with Microsoft Office required. Supervisory experience. Excellent relationship-building and volunteer engagement skills with knowledge of philanthropy and fundraising principles required.

Strong written and verbal communication skills essential. Ability to relate to multiple internal/external constituencies. Excellent organizational and time management skills required. Sound judgment, initiative and ability to collaborate effectively required. Travel and weekend duties as necessary. Ability to represent the University with professionalism, tact, and diplomacy at all times required.

Valid driver's license with good driving record.

Preferred Qualifications University fundraising in Athletics; knowledge of database utilities, university operations and budgetary experience are highly desirable.

Job Open Date 07-31-2007

Edited by UNTflyer

Or are we to read between the lines and assume these people are jumping ship for a reason? OR is there some house-cleaning going on that perhaps should have been done a couple seasons ago?

I think the sentiment is that if She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is placed in such a high position to raise money for the stadium, the project is doomed for failure.

Hopefully RV is just playing his hand close to his chest. And hopefully it's more than a pair of 2's...

Don't count on it.

Do you still think that RV is a great AD? The USM posters were correct when we hired him. If his lips are moving, he's telling a lie.

Were there people that really thought he was? Our stadium is Fouts as long as he here....but that is just my opinion.

Interesting thread.

I believe RV wants to make the stadium happen and is working towards that. He is openly talking about it and what it will take ($ and financing) to make it happen. He seems on a mission.

The main problem: we are not (yet) a University full of doctor, lawyer, and engineering alum$ like many schools have. We are full of music, education, arts, and general business majors and alums....millionaires we are not. It will take time to get the right mix and amount of donations, fees, and financing all together. But the Prez, BOR and NT as a whole all seem supportive now of the project, and it will be a go when that time happens.

I believe there will also be plans for other projects to come as funding allows, not all in order: a baseball stadium, a football indoor practice facility close to the stadium to allow for pregame functions/banquets too, and an indoor facility over by the former Liberty Christian campus co-shared by soccer, softball, golf, and other outdoor sports. One may happen before the other, again as funding is found.

Waiting is the hard part, but after talking to RV Saturday, I feel closer to the goal now than I have in 35 years.

Jeff's post hit it on the head. And this time, no stupid student vote on the damn thing...put it in place...and let the anti-athletics students bitch and whine. Screw them...

Even the possibility of Mandy being put in a position higher than what she is in right now has failure written all over it. What we need is someone who truly CARES about North Texas to be in these positions. People like Jeff, Stebo, Rick. People that can sell this program to anyone and everyone.

I was a season ticket holder a while back when I was still broke...but I wanted to "do my part". Based on a confrontation I had with Mandy in the parking lot of a game where she talked down to me and several others that had camped out all night smoking brisket to feed the masses...I decided that I was not going to renew until she was gone. And I'm a peon. Who else has she pissed off?