Vizza Coming Back , Peterson Honored

NT03

Vizza says he's coming back, Petersen honored

With all the rumors flying that Giovanni Vizza is leaving North Texas, I put in a call to his parents in San Antonio. I met the extended family last season on a flight to Lafayette, where I helped walk it through a grand tradition when flying from Dallas to get to a game against the Ragin' Cajuns -- filling out the forms for lost luggage. Your bags never seem to make the trip with you to Lafayette.

But I digress. It just so happened that Vizza picked up the home phone. He said he isn't going anywhere. Vizza's return will set up a battle in the fall for the starting job with head coach Todd Dodge's son Riley.

Vizza had a great freshman season, throwing for 2,388 yards and 17 touchdowns.

In other news, Mr. Fields, one of the loyal followers of the Mean Green Blog, pointed out that UNT recruiting coordinator Chuck Petersen was honored by recruiting authority Rivals.com as one of the best recruiters at a mid-major program nationally. Petersen is UNT's recruiting coordinator and directed the Mean Green's efforts while it put together what the service called the Mean Green's best recruiting class ever.

Petersen did an outstanding job in helping the Mean Green land a class Rivals.com ranks as the third-best in the Sun Belt and the best among the Dallas-Fort Worth area's three Division I schools. The class was also rated among the best signed by a non-BCS program by ESPN.com.

It was an impressive effort considering UNT finished 2-10 last season.

Posted by Brett Vito email.gif at 1:07 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

Edited by NT03

Now I hope some of u morons will shut up about Vizza leaving!!! He will be a 4 year starter here , break every UNT passing record known to man and Riley will red shirt , then be starter for 2 years. If Dodge is still here after that , then Kyle Padron will be the QB of the distant future!

Unlike in years past , I hope our fans realize that we will have more quality athletes that so happen to play the position under Dodge. Competition only brings out the best in our players , doesn't mean they are going to automatically leave because they may not start. Everyone is one injury away from making an impact. We will have quality depth people , it's a good thing!!

Edited by NT03

Now I hope some of u morons will shut up about Vizza leaving!!! He will be a 4 year starter here , break every UNT passing record known to man and Riley will red shirt , then be starter for 2 years. If Dodge is still here after that , then Kyle Padron will be the QB of the distant future!

Unlike in years past , I hope our fans realize that we will have more quality athletes that so happen to play the position under Dodge. Competition only brings out the best in our players , doesn't mean they are going to automatically leave because they may not start. Everyone is one injury away from making an impact. We will have quality depth people , it's a good thing!!

Even some of the things that Vito learns about are rumors until confirmed.

Kinda like that Aggie a couple of yeas ago that posted about how some guys at the car dealership he worked at got checks but never showed up to work (thought the last name was Bomar or something like that).

The original poster never said that Vizza was leaving; but that 4 folks were; and that the last one was a big name. Folks just started guessing; as they went down the roster.

If that original guy was right, we are still due for one more departure.

I wasn't a member of the board at the time , but remember reading something in the DRC after J-Mo's freshman year about the " rumors flying" he was transferring to a bigger school. Sometimes I think Vito puts things on this board to stir things up :D

Oh well , we have a long time till kickoff , I guess we need something to talk about

Lost in this , special thanks to Chuck Peterson. Job Well Done!

Edited by NT03

I wasn't a member of the board at the time , but remember reading something in the DRC after J-Mo's freshman year about the " rumors flying" he was transferring to a bigger school. Sometimes I think Vito puts things on this board to stir things up :D

Oh well , we have a long time till kickoff , I guess we need something to talk about

Lost in this , special thanks to Chuck Peterson. Job Well Done!

Vito didn't start anything on this board. Nautique made a post on Friday night, about 4 guys transferring. And, that one of the four was a "big name." Then, the F'idiots on this board, ran with it.

Nautique, btw...is a nautical term, meaning "Long John Silver's employee."

Edited by SUMG

Vito didn't start anything on this board. Nautique made a post on Friday night, about 4 guys transferring. And, that one of the four was a "big name." Then, the F'idiots on this board, ran with it.

Nautique, btw...is a nautical term, meaning "Long John's Silver employee."

Maybe best pic yet SUMG!!! Can't believe I read ur post ;) Yes I no Vito isn't nautical or one of the few who suggested it was Vizza leaving. I may be wrong ,but I think the people who have/ will leave are all from the DD regime

BigNTex is the one who claims to be friends with Vizza and also speculated he might leave after Nautique posted about 4 people leaving the program.

I only read this idiotic speculation from a message board newbie; hardly a credible source and quite possibly a troll.

Same here but it was enough for a 4 page thread. I hope he doesn't leave my neighbors cousins roommates friend said he's transferring. It kills me how some people can spend so much time discussing issues they have no insight on. I have no problem talking about pointless crap, pipe dreams, fears or just sharing opinions but come on have some idea about what your talking about.

good post. Coach Dodge has to know who is coming and going but he will never confirm or deny anything to Vito.. Speculation is just that but then people run with it and keep a thread alive. Passion gets rolling, and that's when sh*t hits the fan.

Everyone speculated about Mendoza (and the split opinion) made the thread heat up.

Ain't life grand on GMG.com This is happening at every major D-1 program in the country, it comes with the territory after signing day and then again after spring ball and possible two deep position forecasts. I don't believe Dodge will give the Mean Green nation a two deep position breakdown or all hell will break loose.

Rumors with absolutely no basis should be investigated by the GMG.com staff, removed from this board and the instigator of unfounded rumors take a much-needed break.

If you're going to post something that involves a personality, please check out the facts before you become known as GMG.com's Stephen King. I found out only 2 days ago that I had not had a very successful, uh, 25 year run in the tech school recruiting business by one who was in swaddling clothes the first year I was in that sector of education.

Come on, GMG.com adiministrators, do your jobs with all this if that is (in deed) your jobs............ please. FWIW........it seems even what might be considered obvious favoritism on a few of your parts is even allowed to stay on this board. I don't think any of this was the original mission of Harry's Mean Green and knowing Harry as long as I have, I don't think he would like some of the unfounded crap being said on this board (and being allowed to stay on this board). Just my .02

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The problem is that players are leaving. Peachy, Banks, Ealey, and one or two more make 4 or 5. That is not unheard of in D-1 football. Scholarships open all the time. People complete the spring semester, get as many credits as they can and then some leave. Woody and several others come to mind from last spring, if memory serves me right.

Look at every message board in D-1 sports and people are firing, hiring, coming and leaving all over the country. What's the big deal? Leave the speculators to themselves and don't fuel the fire if you don't like what is being said and the post goes away on its own.

It's not the Harry's job to censor speculation. Speculation doesn't mean crapola.

Plum I agree with ya , but at the same time there is not 1 college or pro sports message board that doesn't have it's fair share of trolls , haters and speculators.

If only facts were posted , then this board wouldn't really be fun. We have awhile till our next kickoff , so there will be more rumors , speculations and trolls to come.

The problem is that players are leaving. Peachy, Banks, Ealey, and one or two more make 4 or 5. That is not unheard of in D-1 football. Scholarships open all the time. People complete the spring semester, get as many credits as they can and then some leave. Woody and several others come to mind from last spring, if memory serves me right.

Look at every message board in D-1 sports and people are firing, hiring, coming and leaving all over the country. What's the big deal? Leave the speculators to themselves and don't fuel the fire if you don't like what is being said and the post goes away on its own.

It's not the Harry's job to censor speculation. Speculation doesn't mean crapola.

You're right, Dodge2007, kids come & go from all D1-A programs; its the nature of the beast, but if someone yells "FIRE!" in a theatre and there is no fire, God only knows what can happen with the masses.

Just to bring up the name of G. Vizza as one possibly leaving to go elsewhere could have had an adverse affect even in the Vizza household. There is no reason for any of us to plant any ideas into any of these young men's heads; heck, they don't need to think they are not wanted by even such rumors. Hey folks, they're only at the ages of 17, 18, 19, etc, etc, etc, when they arrive at their dorms in August.

Surely we are not going to lower ourselves to this level on GMG.com:

"Mrs. Lincoln, other than what happened tonight, did you enjoy the play?" :(

Once upon a time....

Byerly wasn't having academic problems.

No football players were leaving.

Butch LaCroix was here to stay.

Basketball players didn't bust their hands open punching out a door or get hurt for the season

People were properly chastised for suggesting Todd Dodge was a done deal.

Coaches and players were not getting along on the last two regimes.

Thank God people were hear to squash this crap before it got out of control.

This is basic 101 message board business.

Now Rich Rodriquez having his family members threatened is serious business.

Big Schools and their "posters" set up FIRE.com sites and so forth. College football and Basketball is getting uglier by the season.

GMG.com is so mild and tame compared to what's outside our own backyard. Debating and speculation is what a board is all about.

Edited by Dodge2007

Don't knock LJS. It paid my way through college.

I did wonder why we should be like those on the SMU board, knocking those employed by a legitimate business, doing what at best is just hard work.

I think "nautique" could mean a number of things...a frenchified version of a brand of clothing, whatever. I do have problems with people hiding behind screen names generating potentially harmful information. Perhaps one useful practice could be that whenever someone posts something almost certain to stir things up, look at the person's profile to see if that's just how they attract attention to themselves. If noone responds to threads, they become parts of pages 2 through whatever.

Dwayne Taylor

The administrators of GMG.com shouldn't run down false accusations and rumors and don't have time to. Just refrain from posting hearsay and it's real easy to not be an asshole. So many of you are creating assumptions... then someone who failed reading comprehension and still got a degree feels like it's truth. I hear things all the time about north texas. I hear things from large donors, however, i'm not going to post something that leaves any room for debate. If i know its happening i'll let everyone in on it. and if it's just a rumor, ill refrain from posting. Just because some people think they are "in the know" they feel like they need to run and beat everyone to the punch.