Ranking The 2007 Rookie Head Coaches

MeanGreen61

21. Todd Dodge, North Texas – Dodge’s incredible run as a high school coach in Texas may carry over to the college ranks, but it’s going to take time; probably a little more time than most expected. The Mean Green struggled to compete in most games, winning just two and laboring to pick up the nuances of Dodge’s free-wheeling passing attack. In the coach’s defense, North Texas spent most of the year with a true freshman, Giovanni Vizza, taking snaps, and was saddled with the nation’s weakest defense.

College Football News

http://cfn.scout.com/2/722876.html

Edited by MeanGreen61

laboring to pick up the nuances of Dodge’s free-wheeling passing attack

I highly doubt that this guy ever saw a snap this team played. Overall, I was impressed with the way the players picked up TD's offense. The rest of what he wrote is pretty much on, but I have a feeling he got that by taking a quick glance at a stat sheet and reading someone else's review.

The Mean Green struggled to compete in most games, winning just two and laboring to pick up the nuances of Dodge’s free-wheeling passing attack.

Huh? I most of our games, I'd say we were competitive and should have won. It wasn't the offense that really struggled, it was the defense.

Guest 97and03

Huh? I most of our games, I'd say we were competitive and should have won. It wasn't the offense that really struggled, it was the defense.

The offense did struggle at times, with the number of yards gained in a game not really leading to as many points as it could (should) have. Especially struggled in the 2nd half of games.

Obviously it was an exciting and much improved offense. But the turnovers and mistakes indicated to me that they did struggle.

Next year should be much improved.

Man, that FIU loss really cast a shadow on the 2007 season. That game hurt our credibility worse than any of the others.

Can you imagine how people around here (who were here) felt about Rod Rust in his last "0" win season at UNT in 1972? The best thing about 1972 is that there was a 1973 and..........the best thing about 2007 is that there is a 2008.

Proceed with the procedure of the proceedings, Coach Dodge, and we will gloat & brag right along with you when you've turned this ship around & (strangely enough) you will find not one on GMG.com (or beyond) that ever doubted you, either. :rolleyes: Oh well, so be it...

GMG!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Can you imagine how people around here (who were here) felt about Rod Rust in his last "0" win season at UNT in 1972? The best thing about 1972 is that there was a 1973 and..........the best thing about 2007 is that there is a 2008.

Proceed with the procedure of the proceedings, Coach Dodge, and we will gloat & brag right along with you when you've turned this ship around & (strangely enough) you will find not one on GMG.com (or beyond) that ever doubted you, either. :rolleyes: Oh well, so be it...

GMG!

Jim, just for the record, we've never had a "0" win season since 1913, our first (and we only played one game). We have had a handful of 1 win seasons, including Rod Rust's last.

But, I'm right there with you in the belief that Todd Dodge will turn this ship around; beginning with next year.

I highly doubt that this guy ever saw a snap this team played. Overall, I was impressed with the way the players picked up TD's offense. The rest of what he wrote is pretty much on, but I have a feeling he got that by taking a quick glance at a stat sheet and reading someone else's review.

I believe that Vizza had 19 interceptions last year. Learning the nuances is how that number comes down, and the touchdown numbers go up.

Learning the nuances will also be what turns the running game into a consistent weapon.

The fact that nobody really noticed that show show bad the offense was during the DD run.