Brfeaking News - U N T Lands D L

MeanGreen61

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love the fact that after just one year with Dodge we are bashing and doubting players of the same talent and demand that Dickey recruited to win four Sun Belt championships. I's love to recruit 25 3-4 star players but it's not going to happen. When your not a power house program recruiting is all about finding players sleepers and late bloomers. That's all this is he's young still growing and needs time to develope at the position. I'm just happy we're taking a chance on a couple projects with size but no experience instead of signing an entire class of players noone else wants like in the past.

I'm a Lamar season ticket holder, and I can tell you that he isn't anywhere near being DI ready. But if you're going to have a project on your roster, he might as well be a potential 300+ pounder in a position where recruits aren't exactly lining up to play for us. We won't know about this for at least 3 years.

Fordham and Northern whatever were our competition for a DL who didn't even play until this past season?

Sheesh.

I like to think of some of our past recruits that weren't highly rated coming out of HS that went on the great success at NT.

Patrick Cobbs: no D1 offers and sold himself to DD.

Johnny Quinn: no D1 offers until K-Mart persuaded DD to sign him.

Brad Kassell: a little known QB out of Llano the turned into one of our best linebackers ever. Don't know of other offers.

Andy Brewster: Undersized center that turned into the anchor of our OL during the conference winning streak.

Scott Hall: QB that led us through the conference winning streak, NOLA Bowls, etc... No other offer to play QB.

Casey Fitzgerald: Little known walk-on that became an All-American last year.

Adrian Awasome: Undersized DE with the frame to grow. Now playing for the Giants, although currently on the DL, that will be playing in the Super Bowl in about 10 days.

Others feel free to add to this list.

As others have stated, schools like NT need to take a chance from time to time on a young man that has the potential to become successful on the field. Let's give this young man a chance and see how he develops instead of writing him off before he sets foot on campus. I welcome him to NT and wish him much success.

One of my coworkers has been involved in Arlington Lamar athletics for about 3 years due to one of his sons, now a junior, playing football there. When I informed him of Tevinn Cantly being recruited by UNT, his reactions (generally) were as follows:

1. Cantly is AWESOME.

2. He is the Lamar player most respected by this coworkers son, and the most physically intimidating.

3. He is the best prospect out of Lamar in the last 2 or 3 years.

4. It's difficult to understand why Cantly has not gotten honors and recruiting offers.

5. His natural position has always been as a defensive lineman (end?), and he has always wanted to play on the defensive line, but has been used extensively as an offensive lineman, and was listed in Dave Campbell's Texas Football as an offensive lineman to start this year, so may not have gotten sufficicient attention for his defensive line play, which was mostly this season.

6. He sounds like he is from a situation that would require the kind of financial assistance that would come from an athletic scholarship in order to attend college.

Just as an aside to those on this thread who have said "why should UNT make an offer to a kid when others haven't"; we should be aware that we don't get all the information about financial aid offers to athletes, especially those who have a "list" of schools, rather than an early commitment. Also, some of the schools, especially Fordham and Northern Iowa, have extensive alumni support networks which specifically provide financial aid to student athletes beyond what the schools themselves offer. Those interested in that topic could click on the link for Northern Iowa below, and click on the "Panther Scholarship Club"; however, nothing is mentioned as to how the aid gets to the student athlete. I suspect that some walkons can get academic scholarships and other similar assistance depending on merit, need,etc.

I strongly urge anyone who thinks the football programs of the other schools mentioned as "expressing interest" are not up to the level of UNT to click on the following links to check that out; we might actually be able to learn a few things from them, especially Fordham and Northern Iowa; also, Missouri State beat UNT for one recruit last year, according to their website. Northern Iowa and Missouri State have recently played against Western Kentucky about as well as UNT did when it played WKU.

Fordham football; playing well, recruiting in Texas

University of Northern Iowa football, undefeated in regular season

Missouri State football

Edited by eulessismore

The manager where I work has been involved in Arlington Lamar athletics for about 3 years due to his oldest son, now a junior, playing football and basketball there. When I informed him of Tevinn Cantly being recruited by UNT, his reactions, generally, were as follows:

1. Cantly is AWESOME.

2. He is the Lamar player most respected by our manager's son, and the most physically intimidating.

3. He is the best prospect out of Lamar in the last 2 or 3 years.

4. It's difficult to understand why Cantly has not gotten honors and recruiting offers.

5. His natural position has always been as a defensive lineman (end?), and has always wanted to play on the defensive line, but has been used extensively as an offensive lineman, and was listed in Dave Campbell's Texas Football as an offensive lineman to start this year, so may not have gotten sufficicient attention for his defensive line play, which was mostly this season.

6. He sounds like he is from a situation that would require the kind of financial assistance that would come from an athletic scholarship in order to attend college.

Just as an aside to those on this thread who have said "why should UNT make an offer to a kid when others haven't". we should be aware that we don't get all the information about financial aid offers to athletes, and some of the schools, especially Fordham and Northern Iowa, have extensive alumni support networks which specifically provide financial support to student athletes beyond what the schools themselves offer.

I strongly urge anyone who thinks the football programs of the other schools mentioned as "expressing interest" are not up to the level of UNT to click on the following links to check that out; we might actually be able to learn a few things from them, especially Fordham and Northern Iowa; also, Missouri State beat UNT for one recruit last year, according to their website. Northern Iowa and Missouri State have recently played against Western Kentucky about as well as UNT did when it played WKU.

Fordham football; playing well, recruiting in Texas

University of Northern Iowa football, undefeated in regular season

Missouri State football

I'm all down with the optimism too, but as far as being the best recruit in the past two years...they've got at least two players on the DMN top 100 in the area, one at #50 (wr) I believe and another in the 70's (a DE that is being recruited as a OL) and that's just this year.

The kid has been offered and excepted thats all there is to it now. Does he deserve it maybe that's still to be seen but that's no differnt from anyone else. Is he the highest rated player but if he has grown 3-4" and almost 100lbs in the past year plus constant position changes how can anyone expect him to be graded.

I like to think of some of our past recruits that weren't highly rated coming out of HS that went on the great success at NT.

Brad Kassell: a little known QB out of Llano the turned into one of our best linebackers ever. Don't know of other offers.

Andy Brewster: Undersized center that turned into the anchor of our OL during the conference winning streak.

Scott Hall: QB that led us through the conference winning streak, NOLA Bowls, etc... No other offer to play QB.

Adrian Awasome: Undersized DE with the frame to grow. Now playing for the Giants, although currently on the DL, that will be playing in the Super Bowl in about 10 days.

Another walk on. Have you Hurd? Sunbelt Conference Defensive Player of the year 2004.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

As others have stated, schools like NT need to take a chance from time to time on a young man that has the potential to become successful on the field. Let's give this young man a chance and see how he develops instead of writing him off before he sets foot on campus. I welcome him to NT and wish him much success.

That list gives me goosebumps.

Rick was right: don't forget Chris Hurd.

Another walk on. Have you Hurd? Sunbelt Conference Defensive Player of the year 2004.

Rick

Thank you Rick. I hate making lists because someone deserving is typically left off or overlooked. Chris Hurd was one of my favorite players from our early 00's team, and I can't believe I left him off the list.

Edited by UNTLifer

Early '90s ? How about 2000-2003. :rolleyes:

Man, getting old sucks! Thanks for catching that and thanks for the edit feature although your capturing my error in quotes will help it live on and on! :lol:

Of course, the last few years make it seem that our successful run was about 15 years ago!

Guest 97and03

I enjoyed this kid's interview with TY sports. I like getting this type of player to UNT- a respectful young man that seems to have a head on his shoulders.

I am definately rooting for Taz.