Archie Candidate For Coaching Staff

MCMLXXX

just an interesting quetion: with all the division that hit this board last year about hiring high school coaches why do you support hiring another high school coach? wasn't one of the main points after the oklahoma game not to be embarrased by having the opposing coaches call our alignments high schoolish?

any comments?

just an interesting quetion: with all the division that hit this board last year about hiring high school coaches why do you support hiring another high school coach? wasn't one of the main points after the oklahoma game not to be embarrased by having the opposing coaches call our alignments high schoolish?

any comments?

He already coached at UNT bro. He has college experience.

any comments?

I would say that most of the argument was against those coaches that came on staff with NO college experience. With Ramone you have college experience. You also have an alum that loves this University.

HIRE HIM DODGE.

yep, 1 season as an assistant.....my point is that UNT needs experience not another HS coach even if he has 1 year experience under the 2 win season of Coach Dickey in his last year.....IMHO.....1 year as an assistant at UNT ......is not......college level experience that we need. this is not to throw RA under the bus and is not ment to be but everyone filled this board with the prevailing topics of the need for "experienced" college level coaches. I appreciate what RA has accomplished in his life, thus far, but IMHO, again, he brings no track record of college level accomplishment to UNT.

any comments?

I was thinking the same exact thing as I read the article.

yep, 1 season as an assistant.....my point is that UNT needs experience not another HS coach even if he has 1 year experience under the 2 win season of Coach Dickey in his last year.....IMHO.....1 year as an assistant at UNT ......is not......college level experience that we need. this is not to throw RA under the bus and is not ment to be but everyone filled this board with the prevailing topics of the need for "experienced" college level coaches. I appreciate what RA has accomplished in his life, thus far, but IMHO, again, he brings no track record of college level accomplishment to UNT.

Well, he also has D-1 football playing experience, and didn't he play under DeLoach as a safety? If DeLoach comes back, then there will be much less of a learning curve for Coach Archie to learn his system. Come to think of it, because he played for DeLoach, he might be slightly ahead of the other defensive coaches. He also experienced a position change when he came to North Texas (from RB to Safety), and IMHO that would give him a great amount of insight in helping the new players (or any of them for that matter) change positions from what they played in HS, to playing in the defensive backfield.

Well, he also has D-1 football playing experience, and didn't he play under DeLoach as a safety? If DeLoach comes back, then there will be much less of a learning curve for Coach Archie to learn his system. Come to think of it, because he played for DeLoach, he might be slightly ahead of the other defensive coaches. He also experienced a position change when he came to North Texas (from RB to Safety), and IMHO that would give him a great amount of insight in helping the new players (or any of them for that matter) change positions from what they played in HS, to playing in the defensive backfield.

Great points. If Coach Dodge were to consult with DeLoach before making the hire, I have little doubt he would want Ramone.

I think there is a difference between hiring an assisstant coach to teach skills and a DC or OC. Former players can teach the skills to the players even if they don't have the experience to run the whole show. There is also the benefit of having someone that cares about the program and the school.

What an interesting thought. :rolleyes:

Coach Archie:

"I can't say enough about how much I loved DeLoach. Not just as a player but as a person. He really cared about the players that he coached and it showed on the field and off. I knew nothing about the defensive backfield when I was moved from running back. I must admit I was lost. DeLoach comes in that spring with Dickey. I go into fall two a days as the 5th cornerback. In two weeks i'm starting against Oklahoma. I give DeLoach alot of credit for that. I was so excited for him when he got the UCLA job. If he comes back I will be even more excited for the Mean Green!"

Coach Archie is a class act. When he was here before he cared about his players and they liked and repected him. With as much upheaval as there has been this past year in the football program, I think it would be great to have him back. He would bring some stability to back to the program. I think it is a plus that he played for UNT and he bleeds green.

Another high school coach?

I realized he played ball but its about having the ability to teach what you know (to me there is a difference)? Many of the great teachers of the game did not play the game at highest of levels.

By no means am I insinuating he can't coach, because if he can, he is definitely the right man, without a doubt.

Another high school coach?

I realized he played ball but its about having the ability to teach what you know (to me there is a difference)? Many of the great teachers of the game did not play the game at highest of levels.

By no means am I insinuating he can't coach, because if he can, he is definitely the right man, without a doubt.

You're questioning him?

To me that just screams HIRE THE GUY.

2006 North Texas Media Guide

Ramone Archie

Running backs

First year

Former North Texas letterman Ramone Archie joins the coaching staff this season in command of the Mean Green running backs.

Archie spent the last four seasons at Denton Ryan High School leading the Raider defensive backs to all-state and all-district accolades. Archie helped propel his teams to consecutive state championship game appearances, including the 2002 4A Division II title.

A gifted athlete, Archie excelled on both sides of the ball during his playing career. The Los Angeles native rushed for 1,749 yards and 20 touchdowns in two seasons at Glendale Community College, but switched to safety when he arrived at North Texas.

Archie started 21 of his 22 career games and made an immediate impact for the Mean Green. He recorded 13 tackles in each of his first two games against Oklahoma and Texas Tech and went on to finish the 1998 season fourth on the team in tackles with 73.

In 1999< Archie racked up a North Texas season-high 16 tackles against Arkansas State, and once again, finished fourth on the team with 71 tackles.

Archie, 30, has three children: Ethan Ramone Archie, 3, and twins Victoria Denise Archie and Tristan Antjuan Archie 2.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Played here.

2. Coached here

3. Played for DeLoach and knows his system

4. Proud to be a Mean Green

Edited by MeanGreen61

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'd like to echo the two most important words in this thread....class act. That describes Ramone to a T. I would dearly love to have Ramone Archie on the UNT staff because I firmly believe that he will give his all to make his players the best possible.

I think there is a difference between hiring an assistant coach to teach skills and a DC or OC. Former players can teach the skills to the players even if they don't have the experience to run the whole show. There is also the benefit of having someone that cares about the program and the school.

Couldn't have said it better myself