New Stadium

drex

Just curious...if you saw plans for a new stadium, and you felt the athletic department had done all the necessary pre-stadium work, how much would you give to the new stadium when they ask you for a donation?

Just curious...if you saw plans for a new stadium, and you felt the athletic department had done all the necessary pre-stadium work, how much would you give to the new stadium when they ask you for a donation?

I'm good for a grand now and a grand committment over a year or so. Certainly not big bucks to a lot or you but that is a huge committment for me.

More than I give now since they haven't asked. Seriously, I'm curious to see how and when they will ask MGC members and season ticket holders about this. Do they really already know we are or are not potential big donors without asking? How would they know?

I would also like to see perhaps a matching program set up. Like maybe a $100/$1million Club or something. Fans that pledge to give say $100 for every $1 million the school raises towards the stadium. Maybe they have other plans for us... <_<

It would also help if all NT alums would hit up their employers to sponsor some form of the stadium:

Every corporation (500 employees or more) in North Texas to donate $1,000 to North Texas for every North Texas alum on payroll.

Every North Texas alum in North Texas to donate $100.00 to North Texas for North Texas to promote their North Texas corporation. (helping in job stability). Additionally, every son or daughter of a North Texas Alum in North Texas can attend any North Texas game in which North Texas is playing for free. (This means @ SMU, TCU or UTA)

It would also help if all NT alums would hit up their employers to sponsor some form of the stadium:

Every corporation (500 employees or more) in North Texas to donate $1,000 to North Texas for every North Texas alum on payroll.

Every North Texas alum in North Texas to donate $100.00 to North Texas for North Texas to promote their North Texas corporation. (helping in job stability). Additionally, every son or daughter of a North Texas Alum in North Texas can attend any North Texas game in which North Texas is playing for free. (This means @ SMU, TCU or UTA)

Cooley, love your logic! My employer will match my contribution to a not for profit organization (like UNT) and I fully plan to utilize that benefit. We have over 100,000 living alums in the DFW region. We have over 170,000 living alums. Tehre are MANY companies and individual that will contribute that are not in the 170,000 count. The development office has this down to a fine science and they are getting us the money. We must do what we can too!!

I would donate what I can to the stadium, but NOT as a Mean Green Club member. NEVER. That is unless some changes are drastically made within the MGC between now and then. I'm doing my best as it is to talk myself out of giving my MGC donation to coach Dodges' recruiting budget/summer camps instead. I'd rather pay to help sponsor our recruiting season or for a kid to attend TD's summer camps than continue to be treated like trash.

Rick

I would donate what I can to the stadium, but NOT as a Mean Green Club member. NEVER. That is unless some changes are drastically made within the MGC between now and then. I'm doing my best as it is to talk myself out of giving my MGC donation to coach Dodges' recruiting budget/summer camps instead. I'd rather pay to help sponsor our recruiting season or for a kid to attend TD's summer camps than continue to be treated like trash.

Rick

Care to elaborate? I have been donating since I graduated in '97 and have never had a problem.

As to raising funds for the stadium. I can promise everyone they are beating the pavement pretty hard. I have complete faith this staff will get the job done.

drex...I'm in for some stadium donations, but couldn't say how much as yet. It's a bit early to tell what will be called for, how it will be handled, what and when the stadium????? Etc., etc., but I'm in for some $$$$$$. Bring it on!

I am with Rick. I would donate to a stadium fund but not through Mandy. She is on a rewards bonus for the amount that she brings in and I would never want to directly (or indirectly) put money into her pocket. Awhile back (Air Force game in CO), I heard a plan that I would be down for. The plan was to round up 3,000 "founders" that would be willing to commit to $5K each. This $5K per person could be divided up into 5 or 10 years. If the person wanted to pay it in 5 years, it would be about $83/month. If they wanted to pay it out in 10 years it would be $41.50 a month. These 3K people would automatically be given season tickets for those 10 years or if they did the 5 year plan they would get Mean Green Club membership and season tickets for those 5 years. That way, the money out of pocket would be comparable to buying season tickets each year and having a Mean Green membership. These 3K people pledging $5K bucks would generate $15 Million bucks.

I still think that this plan will be put out to the public in the 20% phase. From what I understand- the athletic dept will try to raise 80% of the funds through the top 20% of private donors and then go to the other 80% of the donors with affordable plans like this.

Break it down - if you are a guy that has Mean Green Club Membership at the $500 level and you have 2 season tickets then you spend about $750 bucks a year already. What if you could pledge the same amount plus an extra $250 bucks - have it paid out over the year in equal monthly installments and you would get your Mean Green Club/season tickets included with your 5 year pledge. Would you do it? That would generate $15 million and take care of the final phase of the fund raising campaign. I will do it - but it will have to be through anyone else but Mandy ;)

The plan was to round up 3,000 "founders" that would be willing to commit to $5K each. This $5K per person could be divided up into 5 or 10 years. If the person wanted to pay it in 5 years, it would be about $83/month. If they wanted to pay it out in 10 years it would be $41.50 a month. These 3K people would automatically be given season tickets for those 10 years or if they did the 5 year plan they would get Mean Green Club membership and season tickets for those 5 years. That way, the money out of pocket would be comparable to buying season tickets each year and having a Mean Green membership. These 3K people pledging $5K bucks would generate $15 Million bucks.

I'd be on board for something like this, and I know several others who would also. Mind you not 3000, but it's a start.

Yes I would be willing to give in the 1,000 range, but here's my suggestion - when the designs come back in for the new stadium and one is picked, you need to show that image on the news EVERYWHERE. The free PR and advertising would help the dollars flow in, I would imagine. Plus it shows something more concrete and will convince more donors out there to open their pocketbooks. Maybe even some who have yet to be contacted. There's just something about seeing that design on Ch. 8 news that makes it legitimate.

I really like the $1,000. per year for season tickets/Mean Green Club/Stadium construction.

And friends...Don't wait to support your athletic deptartment. You don't need to be asked. You know that OUR athletic department needs you and me and everyone. Son't wait to be asked. Step up and give as much as possible.

GO MEAN GREEN

Rick

I'm with Rick on this one 100%.

If you want to contribute toward financing a new stadium but do not wish to do it through the Mean Green Club you can always contact the UNT Advancement Office. I have never been asked to give money to build a new stadium by the athletic department but was contacted by the Advancement Office about four years ago. I pledged to give $5000 per year for three years. That pledge has now been completed. I would hope that others would give a lot more than that. I heard a lot of grumbling about Coach Dickey and his "stealth recruiting". Perhaps Rick V is doing "stealth fund raising" for our new stadium.

Rick

What kind of changes do you feel need to be made within the MGC? I gave $1000 this past year and I have not had

any problems and I have not been treated unfairly by anyone in the MGC. Everyone in my family always looks

forword to seeing Mandy at all of the games. She is the main reason my family supports the MGC.

If you feel someone is treating you like trash, then you need to seek them out and discuss it. In addition, if you feel

your money is better spent on recruiting, by all means send it there. Finally, I enjoy reading your posts. I don't always

agree with what you have to say, but you generally have positive statements concerning current sport topics.

Stolen from a family member. I don't think it was for the stadium, but it could be applied:

Take your university to lunch each week. Take an extra $5 each week (or whatever your average lunch is) and donate it to the Stadium Fund.

$5 x 52 weeks = $260 per year ($10 more than non-Section E MGC donation)

10,000 alums x $260 = $2.6 million per year

I know we need more than that for the stadium, but we may get to the point where we're only $10 million or so short. Surely an extra $20-25 per month would be feasible for many alumni, both in the metroplex and nationwide.

What kind of changes do you feel need to be made within the MGC? I gave $1000 this past year and I have not had

any problems and I have not been treated unfairly by anyone in the MGC. Everyone in my family always looks

forword to seeing Mandy at all of the games. She is the main reason my family supports the MGC.

If you feel someone is treating you like trash, then you need to seek them out and discuss it. In addition, if you feel

your money is better spent on recruiting, by all means send it there. Finally, I enjoy reading your posts. I don't always

agree with what you have to say, but you generally have positive statements concerning current sport topics.

I haven't had any problems either. I hear how she treats everyone so bad. I haven't seen it in person. She was nothing but completely cordial to me.

I am not saying she is the best we can do, but I trust her bosses to make intelligent decisions about her being qualified for the position.

As far as the matter at hand...

I'd have to see what happens. I'm mostly working for myself now and things are looking up, but we'll have to see what kind of money I make from my pursuits. If they (Athletics) were interested, I could coordinate an art auction with other alums and supporters of UNT. Do you guys have any idea how many artists in the area went to UNT? We did a show last weekend and it was freaking nuts. And a lot of the artists who I KNOW who still live in the area weren't there.

As far as corporations go, employer matching is a big deal.

If you work for a fairly big company and have proof of your donation, most will match it to the same recipient. Some will even double it, depending upon the amount. You can basically donate $500 and turn it into $1000-1500. That works for all areas-Athletics, Scholarships, etc. Plus, it's tax deductible for both you and your employer. Keep it in mind for future donations.

And for those who seem confused by the comments, the MGC thing seems to be on a case-by-case basis, doesn't seem to follow any sort of rational pattern, and some of us have tried to resolve things. It HAS been beaten to death and doesn't need to be DEBATED. Those who are fine with it, leave it alone, and the rest should already know what's in progress and wait for me to email you (or ask me to if you haven't already).